PDA

View Full Version : Small patches of lead on boolit mold near tip of boolit

sagebrush rebel
02-01-2020, 05:59 PM
I just got done with a casting session and I noticed at the end of the session, I was getting small wings on the end of the boolits. I checked the mold and discovered small patches of lead sticking to the boolit mold. How to I remove them without hurting the mold? What would be the best way to melt the lead on the mold so I could wipe it off?

bmortell
02-01-2020, 06:24 PM
not saying its the safest way but i take a razor blade flat and pick up the edge of the lead patch

Bazoo
02-01-2020, 06:37 PM
Heat the mould real hot at the beginning of the next casting session and you can wipe it off with a terry cloth rag. If I'm casting and notice some buildup like that, I color the area with a carpenters pencil. It will effectively scour the lead off if it isn't stuck badly, but it also helps prevent it from happening again. I color the top of the mould and the bottom of the sprue plate.

gwpercle
02-02-2020, 07:01 PM
Any non metal item is good . Popsicle stick , wooden chop stick etc.
Heat the mould (don't over heat it) and wipe the surface with a rough cloth rag .
When casting keep an eye out for smears and flecks and remove them as soon as you see them.
In severe cases a bit of 0000 steel wool can be used on a hot mould but a course rag is safest.
Gary

sagebrush rebel
02-02-2020, 07:16 PM
Thanks for all your help. Used a razor blade and they came off without a scratch.

Beagle333
02-02-2020, 07:20 PM
As long as it's in a flat place, the razor does a good job, as you saw. If it's not in a flat place, while the mold is casting-temp hot, use a wooden stick (popsicle or kabob stick) and a little spot of beeswax and it'll rub off. All good advice before my post.

Pardini
02-03-2020, 01:09 AM
A boolit clamped in vice grips does a good job of picking lead up off a hot mould.

Mr_Sheesh
02-03-2020, 02:54 AM
Wooden chisels are pretty safe to use on anything metal. I used to use them to remove the crud from the old mechanical computer mouse rollers, then final clean w/ Isopropyl.

jsizemore
02-04-2020, 01:12 PM
Save a couple sprues to let cool and use them like an eraser. Your pot temp may be getting a bit high and/or your casting pace is a kittle fast.