PDA

View Full Version : Nagant feeding issue

Bantou
01-31-2020, 08:28 PM
My Mosin refuses to feed rounds out of the magazine. From what I can tell, the walls of the magazine narrow toward the top and grab the shoulder of the brass. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Der Gebirgsjager
01-31-2020, 10:33 PM
Well, if your analysis of the problem is correct, then you need to spread the magazine walls apart. I'd get another to compare it to, then do a little body and fender work until yours looks like the one you're comparing it to. I think I'd find some scrap wood and make a piece the same thickness as the interior of the one that isn't squeezed and tap it into yours expanding the walls outward. If it's much narrower you might have to taper one end of the piece of wood to get it to enter. It doesn't necessarily have to be wood, but wood is soft and shouldn't mar the finish. Since metal has a memory, once the wood is withdrawn from the magazine it might spring back a little, so you might have to repeat the process using a piece of wood slightly thicker than where you want to end up. Then, if it's too wide, you can use a non-marring hammer and tap the exterior down onto the correct size piece of wood. I would not start bending it with pliers.

Bantou
01-31-2020, 11:13 PM
Yeah I tried the pliers idea already... didn’t do any good and now I have two burs in the magazine that I have to file off. It wasn’t my brightest idea ever lol

Bantou
01-31-2020, 11:14 PM
Thank you for the idea though. I will try that when I get back to where I have more than a basic set of tools (I’m currently out of town)

01SVTvert
02-02-2020, 04:58 PM
Check to make sure you are not locking up the rims against the lower rounds. Rims need to be forward of the lower rounds or they can catch and lock it up from feeding.

Bantou
02-02-2020, 05:16 PM
It does it even if I only have one round in the mag so I don’t think rim lock is the problem

02-02-2020, 06:08 PM
Is the follower spring strong? Seems a weak one always leads to function issues.

Bantou
02-02-2020, 11:03 PM
Is the follower spring strong? Seems a weak one always leads to function issues.

I believe so but I’m not sure how strong it is supposed to be. I will look into it just to make sure. Thanks for the tip.

lefty o
02-02-2020, 11:15 PM
ive never had an issue with one, but check the interrupter.

Bantou
02-02-2020, 11:16 PM
ive never had an issue with one, but check the interrupter.

That was my first thought because it is such a common issue but it is hanging up before it gets to the interrupter.

Clark
02-12-2020, 11:17 AM

This is what I do to the magazine to convert Mosin Nagants to 300 Win Mag or 7mmRemMag

Texas by God
02-12-2020, 12:45 PM
If a friend has one, do a comparison or possibly try their mag box on your rifle and maybe figure it out that way.