PDA

View Full Version : 1893 Mauser safety

catncarp
01-31-2020, 10:54 AM
I have a 1893 Mauser that the safety is on the right side and can't be moved. I took the bolt out and still won't move. Also the rifle is in full military stock and there is nowhere that there was ever any sights front or rear, any help would be appreciated

LAGS
01-31-2020, 11:03 AM
The safety will only move when the bolt is in the cocked firing position.
There is a cam on the safety that may need to be Re Fitted to function properly

Rich/WIS
01-31-2020, 11:58 AM
Where/who did you get it from? Have you had it out of the stock and examined the section of barrel covered by the handguard for any sign that it had a rear sight at some point? What is the barrel length, is it possible this was a longer barrel that had been shortened? The forend picture looks like an 03A3 Springfield as does the upper handguard. The middle pic is blurry but it seems to show a cross bolt behind the recoil lug of the type on a 03A3. The safety need fitting, the grooves in the safety needs to line up with the cut in the striker so that when rotated will cam the striker rearward. If it is a mixmaster double check the caliber, if the barrel is a replacement it could be anything. More and clearer picture would help, lot of Mauser experts here (not me) who will give you the benefit of their experience.

Der Gebirgsjager
01-31-2020, 12:36 PM
There's a projection on the bottom of the cocking piece that is caught against the sear when the bolt is closed, causing the bolt to cock. If you hook this projection firmly against the edge of your workbench and force the bolt body downward away from the cocking piece the two should move apart. Have a penny or dime handy to stick into the area which opens between the cocking piece and bolt sleeve. Then you should be able to unscrew the entire firing mechanism from the bolt body. As you force the bolt body downward away from the cocking piece turn the wing safety to the vertical position, where it should be when taking the bolt apart.

pietro
01-31-2020, 12:38 PM

If someone fooled with either the sear or the trigger inter-acting surfaces in order to get a "better" trigger pull, the surfaces might have been altered enough to allow the cocking piece to rest too far forward for the safety to engage the notch in the cocking piece.

This can be easily repaired by replacing both parts with milsurp items from the likes of SARCO, etc, etc.

No sights/smooth barrel say to me that the barrel's either been altered or replaced.

With the handguard on, the normal steps in a military Mauser barrel cannot be seen - but if there's no steps in the barrel contour and it has no proofmarks under there, it's most likely a replacement barrel.

If it's a replacement barrel (no steps), AND it's unmarked as to the chambering, it would be best to do a chamber cast (cerrosafe), including a portion of the bore, so you can determine both the caliber and the chambering.

If it turns out to chambered for something based on the .308 Winchester case ( a fairly common mistake), IMO it would develop high enough internal pressure to be dangerous in any of the cock-on-closing small ring Mausers.

catncarp
01-31-2020, 01:27 PM
But would the stock not be cut out for a rear sight

catncarp
01-31-2020, 01:30 PM
But would the stock not be cut out for a rear sight and 1893 would be correct

444ttd
01-31-2020, 02:12 PM

If someone fooled with either the sear or the trigger inter-acting surfaces in order to get a "better" trigger pull, the surfaces might have been altered enough to allow the cocking piece to rest too far forward for the safety to engage the notch in the cocking piece.

This can be easily repaired by replacing both parts with milsurp items from the likes of SARCO, etc, etc.

i have a 93 spanish mauser(1922) that was bubba-ed up. cut off barrel, no sights, stock was bubba-chainsawed up, safety is locked on and bubba fooled with the trigger. i am going to with a douglas barrel in 7x57, d&t, dayton traister trigger kit and safety and the stock should be a mannlicher or a richards wolverine.

pietro
01-31-2020, 04:16 PM
i have a 93 spanish mauser(1922) that was bubba-ed up. cut off barrel, no sights, stock was bubba-chainsawed up, safety is locked on and bubba fooled with the trigger. i am going to with a douglas barrel in 7x57, d&t, dayton traister trigger kit and safety and the stock should be a mannlicher or a richards wolverine.

Sound like a plan to me ! :D

I really like the 7x57, especially with 175gr slugs.

Please don't forget to document your sporterization work & post the pics here !

Rich/WIS
02-05-2020, 10:55 AM
Something to consider, but from the pics it looks like the safety is checkered, have seen maybe a dozen M93's but don't recall ever seeing a checkered safety. Do seem to remember them on the Swede's. Is it possible the safety is mismatched, possibly the bolt sleeve as well?

KCSO
02-05-2020, 11:25 AM
It needs to be fitted to the cocking piece. Somebody messed with the trigger I'll bet.

lar45
02-07-2020, 10:06 AM
make sure that the bolt shroud is screwed on fully. It could be that it was one turn out when the bolt was put back in and the safety flipped off.