PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a chronograph

Maineboy
01-30-2020, 09:26 AM
After going without a chronograph for a while, I am planning on purchasing one to replace the Shooting Chrony Alpha Master I shot with my 35 Whelen. I have a gift certificate from Amazon that I would like to use so that limits me to what they offer. My preference would be to replace the one I have with the same model but, it seems, Shooting Chronys are hard to find and none are currently offered on Amazon. A quick check with shooting supply retailers show few models, if any, in stock and Midway indicates "no backorder" on their website. I wonder if they are going out of business. So, any suggestions for a suitable replacement are appreciated.

ioon44
01-30-2020, 09:32 AM
After killing a few down range screens I bought a Lab Radar, works great.

Smoke4320
01-30-2020, 09:39 AM
I will second, third and forth the lab radar.
When they first came out i did not understand the multiple advantages to it.
Now i would not buy any other
Just the ability to shoot in Any condition light, no light, clouds it does not matter

jonp
01-30-2020, 09:56 AM
You don't say what your budget is but I use a Caldwell. Works great and what I like is that I can record the data on my smartphone right on the spot and email it to myself so it doesn't get lost. I also have my smartphone set up to where I can print it at home while still at the range for a hard copy.

Thumbcocker
01-30-2020, 10:13 AM
Whichever one you choose remember that they are not bullet proof. This I know from actual experience.

MostlyLeverGuns
01-30-2020, 10:57 AM
Started with a Chrony, then a MagnetoSpeed. I was happy with my MagnetoSpeed until the LabRadar. The MagnetoSpeed and LabRadar are easy to set-up and unlikely to get shot. Though I have my own range, it could be set-up on a public range without problems from other shooters, the MagnetoSpeed would also work well in a 'shared' environment. 1st choice - Labradar, 2nd - MagnetoSpeed, then rest, unless you want the pressure measuring capabilities of the high end Oehler's.

kayala
01-30-2020, 11:28 AM
Same as ioon44 I’ve bagged a few chronographs; finally switched to LabRadar and love it. No need to go down range doesn’t need light. Data easy to transfer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Conditor22
01-30-2020, 02:01 PM
With the Caldwell, you can make a metal shield for the Chrono body because everything is on the phone

skrapyard628
01-30-2020, 02:15 PM
If money isnt an issue then the Lab Radar or the Oehler are great choices.

Currently I use the Caldwell G2. The ability to record all the data on my phone is what sold me on it. The only time it ever gave me an issue is when the bluetooth somehow unpaired with my phone in the middle of a string and it didnt record the data. Thats only happened once fwiw.

Also the tripod that came with the Caldwell is a bit janky. So it just sits in the corner of the garage and I use an old telescope tripod instead.

gpidaho
01-30-2020, 02:23 PM
I up graded to a LabRadar for the set up convenience and no waiting to go down range but my CED Millennium is a very good chronograph and well worth the money. Gp

kerplode
01-30-2020, 03:34 PM
Two words:
Lab
Radar

Eat ramen for a couple months if you have to...

country gent
01-30-2020, 05:19 PM
I had a pact professional for years and seldom used it do to the set up and light issues with sky screens. It was a great chronograph but got used more for the ballistic programs. When it finally dies I bought the Lab radar and now I chronograph almost every time I am out its so easy and quick to set up light dosnt bother it and its not in front of the firing line. I did make a better Site for the lab Radar. The sky screen unit had several diffusors made for it. Another plus to the lab Radar is it can use the rechargeable ghpne batteries chargers instead of the regular batteries

JoeJames
01-30-2020, 05:56 PM
I use the Caldwell and I ain't got no smart phone, but it is cheap and accurate and holds up well.

jonp
01-30-2020, 06:00 PM
Whichever one you choose remember that they are not bullet proof. This I know from actual experience.

yeah..see my thread a couple of years ago "I just got a new Chrony. I just shot my new Chrony". First shot.

abunaitoo
01-30-2020, 08:34 PM
Lab Radar would be great.
They just cost so much.

David2011
01-30-2020, 08:42 PM
I’ve been happy with the CED Pro Chrono Digital chronograph I’ve had for 15 years. Three recommendations for longevity are to always put it on a tripod, always have a target down range to aim at and always shoot off of a stable bench or other rest. It helps to measure the muzzle to chrono distance for consistency. I use 10 feet as my standard distance.

AZ Pete
01-30-2020, 09:01 PM
Interesting discussion. I had a Shooting Chrony for a long time, the cheapest one. After about 15 years of dependable use I winged it, cutting a nice groove in the tops of both sensors. Traded it in for a more expensive model, with the remote data screen, that has been reliable for the past twelve years or so.

Sorry to hear that the Shooting Chrony line is getting scarce.

The LabRadar looks like the hot ticket today, particularly for public ranges and for the careless.

country gent
01-30-2020, 11:08 PM
Another plus to The Lab Radar I really like is depending on how you set it up it will give 5 readings from muzzle to target at given distances. Its a nice feature and akes figuring the BC for cast bullets much easier

megasupermagnum
01-31-2020, 12:13 AM
I tried Shooting Chonry, and always found them fussy. I've only ever seen Labradar used, but it has a ton of cool features if you are looking for something high end. It even reads downrange.

For a bone simple chronograph, it's going to be hard to beat the ProChrono Digital. It's just a simple, American made Chronograph that works in all conditions. I have yet to have mine not work, and that includes snow. Rain might be a problem. They aren't bulletproof. I shot my first one with a shotgun. The replacement is every bit as good.

Minerat
01-31-2020, 01:03 AM
Labradar, as long as you see the blue light. For some reason if it is not on then you don't get readings.[smilie=s:

kevin c
01-31-2020, 01:29 AM
My club has both Lab Radar units and ProChrono units.

The ProChrono units are for general "consumption", and they do get eaten (shot) up with some regularity.

The Lab Radar units are for major match chrono only, kept under separate lock and key, and even then only certain folks are allowed to use them.

With unlimited (or somebody else's) funds, I'd get the Lab Radar. If I'm paying out of my own pocket, the ProChrono is good enough for what I need (repeatable ball park numbers to guide load development for action pistol sports).

Geezer in NH
02-07-2020, 07:52 PM
My club has both Lab Radar units and ProChrono units.

The ProChrono units are for general "consumption", and they do get eaten (shot) up with some regularity.

The Lab Radar units are for major match chrono only, kept under separate lock and key, and even then only certain folks are allowed to use them.

With unlimited (or somebody else's) funds, I'd get the Lab Radar. If I'm paying out of my own pocket, the ProChrono is good enough for what I need (repeatable ball park numbers to guide load development for action pistol sports).

Seems a new club is needed. Special folk types can use only, got to ask why did the club pay for them.

I have a Lab Radar bought for me or who I use it with and did not ask the club to buy it.

Maineboy
03-06-2020, 08:37 AM
Keeping it within my budget, I went with the ProChrono DLX and it was delivered yesterday. This morning I downloaded the apps to my phone and laptop so now I am linked to it via Bluetooth. I can't wait to get shooting again as it's been quite a while since I had a working chronograph and I have developed several loads I want to test. Unfortunately it's still winter up here so it will be a while.