PDA

View Full Version : Fletchettes any one ever mess with them here?

jh45gun
11-15-2008, 12:49 AM
Just wondering I know they are not cast but I got a pound of them from a friend and just wondering if anyone ever loaded up any and if so what info did you use? The ones I have are the inch and a half ones

turbo1889
11-15-2008, 01:08 AM
First:

FYI -- Loaded Fletchett rounds are illegal in about have the states of the union, some of those only to "buy or sell" and the others illegal to just to have them. You should probably figure out what the situation is in your state before proceding further. Not suggesting you surrender your rights -- but some prudence might be in order.

Second:

Up here in MT they are completely legal -- and yes I've messed with them. Use steel shot wads (to protect your barrel) and buffer the nasties in cream of wheat and load them FAST. We are talking loads in the 1,800-fps range. They make a very light weight payload so unless your loading for a small bore your going to be using Bullseye or somthing like that in the burn rate zone and be putting way more of it in the hull under the wad then would be safe and sane with a standard trap load. Work up slowly and watch your a$$ for both bloopers with the wad and payload only half way down the bore and high pressure on the other end of the spectrum when you get them up to speed.

JeffinNZ
11-15-2008, 04:25 AM
Have a friend who did but only 105mm bee hive rounds in 'Nam.

He once found a VC with his AK pinned to his arm and his arm pinned to his head. Nasty buniness.

dubber123
11-15-2008, 05:57 AM
A fellow at the club is fooling with them, he is loading some fine shot along with the fletchettes to get the weight up. As mentioned, they make a comparatively lightweight payload. Let us know how they work. Interesting.

missionary5155
11-15-2008, 07:57 AM
AHHH The buzzing Bees.... The 105 Gunners favorite defoliate.. "Gunner, Beehive, traverse left, treeline, FIRE ! "

jh45gun
11-15-2008, 03:57 PM
A fellow at the club is fooling with them, he is loading some fine shot along with the fletchettes to get the weight up. As mentioned, they make a comparatively lightweight payload. Let us know how they work. Interesting.

Yea that is what I was thinking too as it would work for the weight and to work as a filler

shotman
11-15-2008, 08:24 PM
depends [oh that word] what you want to do with them. as said make sure they dont con tact barrel If you need some wads contact me I have 12 and 20 rick em ragebhardt@msn.com

Sitsinhedges
11-16-2008, 10:10 AM
There is some interesting stuff on wikipedia regarding fletchette rounds. Just type in fletchette into their search bar.

HTH
Andy

jh45gun
11-18-2008, 10:38 AM
well after giving it some thought these sound like loading them would be a PITA so not going to bother with them. I can give them back to the guy I got them from so I think that is what I will do.