PDA

View Full Version : Repairing a M1867 rolling block carbine extractor

ndnchf
01-29-2020, 08:14 PM
I thought I'd show a repair I just did on my put-together model 1867 Remington rolling block navy carbine.

This rifle uses a simple stud extractor below the chamber to pull the fired shell out. The extractor stud was poorly repaired previously and just didn't work. It was a lousy glob of weld that someone had done and crudely filed it to rough shape, but it was too small and not formed correctly.

So I cleaned the old weld off and re-welded up the stud area. Then put it in a milling machine and milled it close to the final shape and size. After milling, it took a lot if hand filling, test fitting and more filing until it fit.

I'm no machinist or gunsmith, just a home tinkerer. While it's not perfect, I think it came out pretty well and it seems to work fine with an empty case. I'll take it to the range later this week to give it a live fire test.

Here is a a photo of what it started out as, and couple of the repair.

RedlegEd
01-29-2020, 09:21 PM
Nice! I can't help but admire the elegant simplicity of their solution to an extractor.
Ed

ndnchf
01-30-2020, 12:30 PM
It certainly was simple. But I do not think it provided the leverage of the other designs. Remington tried to get the navy to go for the sliding bar extractor, but they refused.

ndnchf
01-31-2020, 06:14 PM
I stopped at the range today and tested the repaired extractor. I made a short video.

https://youtu.be/nZU3DsrW_zQ

Jedman
01-31-2020, 07:30 PM
Good Job ! Nice to be able to repair the breechblock as if you could find a replacement it would be expensive.

Jedman

koger
01-31-2020, 07:58 PM
Is this a 12.7x44R. I have one a Husqvarna, and it has the sliding extractor at about 9 oclock, it was broken off when I received it, but lucky me I had a blank I had ordered for a guy about 10 years ago who did not get it, and I fixed it in a few minutes. I assume you are loading a BP in yours from the smoke cloud. How did it shoot. Oh, and good job on the extractor.

ndnchf
01-31-2020, 09:54 PM
No, its a .50-45 Remington. Basically a .50-70 shortened to 1.37". Yes, I only shoot black or subs in these old ones.

toot
02-28-2021, 08:47 AM
this site has been a real great help.

ndnchf
03-01-2021, 01:49 PM
this site has been a real great help.

I was surprised to see this old thread come back up. Do you have a M1867?

JSnover
03-02-2021, 09:21 AM
That is slick! My Roller has the rotary type and it's the only feature I really hate. If it ever breaks I'm going to have it converted.