PDA

View Full Version : Best Most Reliable Semi-Auto Pistol

Sam Casey
01-27-2020, 08:54 PM
Have owned & carried many S&W 39 & variations for years, but am seeing that Glock now seems to be most preferred. Have tried and just do not care for many of the Colt based 45acp semies. Is Glock best choice?

BNE
01-27-2020, 08:58 PM
They always go bang when I pull the trigger. Not the prettiest, but they work, work work.

I spent some time trying to make a very low recoil round for a Glock and it took some effort to get a round that would not cycle the Glock 19X. If your rounds are made with published loads and they are the correct shape, they will work.

megasupermagnum
01-27-2020, 09:07 PM
I don't like Glock's. I think a Glock puts cast bullet shooters at a disadvantage. But nobody would ever question the reliability of Glock handguns.

Art in Colorado
01-27-2020, 09:36 PM
SIG-Enough said!!!!!!!!!!

FLINTNFIRE
01-27-2020, 09:41 PM
I used to say I would never own a glock , well I put aside preconceived ides and bought a 9mm , and the rest have just grown since then , I own 1911 I see little to no difference in handling and shooting , I use wheelguns single and double action and they all seem to fit . Glock puts no cast shooter to a disadvantage , I use cast exclusively , there are some jacketed bullets in this house but all I shoot is cast from all semi auto or wheelguns , My glocks do not know the difference nor do they care , go check out the semi auto selection at your local store and see how they feel , buy what feels right for you and use your own expertise when selecting what make model or caliber .

I have 9mm 40s&w 45gap and 45acp in glocks and as a reliable firearm that shoots cast they work fine.

dverna
01-27-2020, 09:48 PM
I can afford anything and carry a Glock. It is tge most reliable semi-auto I have ever owned.

Buzz Krumhunger
01-27-2020, 10:00 PM
Glocks are reliable, fairly rust resistant, and homely enough to where I don’t worry about sweating on one when I carry in hot weather.

Tom W.
01-27-2020, 10:24 PM
I got rid of all of my Glocks, but they would go bang every time I pulled the trigger.

When I got my CZ 75 SP 01 settled down to my handloads I can say the same thing about it.

35remington
01-27-2020, 10:49 PM
I do not think anyone really knows what the “most reliable” semi automatic pistol is.

There is opinion, there is the manufacturer’s word for it, and there is reality. Hard to separate them sometimes.

I will observe I have a number of pretty reliable makes of auto pistols. But all are subject to breakage eventually or user error, so reliability is relative to that no matter who makes it.

mozeppa
01-27-2020, 10:50 PM
browning hi power seems to be reliable.

tazman
01-27-2020, 10:55 PM
Have owned & carried many S&W 39 & variations for years, but am seeing that Glock now seems to be most preferred. Have tried and just do not care for many of the Colt based 45acp semies. Is Glock best choice?

There is more to consider than just a name. The grip angle is somewhat different between the S&W and the Glock. There are many other very reliable guns out there.
I own a couple of Springfield XDm series pistols. As long as I am shooting factory ammunition or jacketed reloads, they have never failed. The only time I had issues was with some old reloads made for a pistol with a large chamber. The tighter chambers didn't like them.
When I used cast reloads that were sized for the XDm chamber, no failures with any nose shape or powder charge.
There is a published video that was on the XDm site that showed an XDm 10mm pistol go through 10,000 rounds just to see if the pistol would hold up. It did with no failures.
I would call that very reliable.
I find my XDm pistols to be as accurate as any handgun I shoot with the possible exception of mt S&W K frame Target Masterpiece.

Don Purcell
01-27-2020, 11:00 PM
XD Tactical .45 and S&W Shield 9mm put slugs down the barrel every time I pull the trigger.

snowwolfe
01-27-2020, 11:02 PM
Every Glock I owned has been ultra reliable. My M&P S&W 45 is just as good. I can't remember any of them jamming, failing to feed, etc.

white cloud
01-27-2020, 11:02 PM
My Glocks seem to be very corrosion resistant. I have never had one fail to fire. They seem accurate enough and are very easy to work on. I wish that I like them more.

bob208
01-27-2020, 11:33 PM
I have carried and shot a browning h-p for the last 15 years with no problems at all.

justashooter
01-27-2020, 11:41 PM
yugo M57 tokarev works every time, has a colt 1903 based design, so much like a 1911, inexpensive, quality made, and indestructable. also shoots thru just about anything.

Earlwb
01-27-2020, 11:56 PM
i would go with the venerable 1911 military issue type semi-auto pistols. The pistols outlasted all of the other semi's with the longest service life. The Tokarevs are a close second too. Interestingly enough after watching numerous videos of people abusing HiPoint semi-auto pistols, I would say that those ought to rank up there high on the list of reliable pistols too.

Mytmousemalibu
01-28-2020, 12:33 AM
As long as you are picking something from the "big three" kind of deal with polymer frame gun, you are almost always going to have a very solid, reliable gun. Glock, S&W, Springfield, etc. Yes there are lots more to chose from especially if you include metallic frames. A good frame of reference is what guns are commonly used by military and police. The Glock us a keystone figure in it all, you really can't argue with their product, their reputation needs no explanation. The M&P series is of equal terms. It and many others haven't been around as long but again, their service history needs no explanation.The same can be said for other companies so it really can be boiled down to what attributes are most desirable to you. Me personally, I like the M&P's more. The grip angle & shape feel better to me and the trigger is better, excellent with an Apex in it. Just a more svelte gun. They are tough as hell, I turn an M&P 9L Performance Center into a USPSA race gun that I used for about 4 years shooting very hot 9mm. This gun was pushed far beyond its designed usage. Rental Glocks at ranges have found a Glock slide lasts about 30,000rd average before they crack. Thats a ton of ammo, far more than most would ever shoot. My M&P took about 50,000rds of crazy hot ammo before it cracked. Then I Tig welded it and shot it till the barrel was shot out, adding another 15,000-20,000 on it. Way beyond the intended usage. Solid, tough guns. Ive also been very impressed with the Canik TP9 family of guns. They are affordably priced and really solid guns right out the box. They do offer some higher end versions too. I had a basic SF model that had 7000-10,000rds on. Currently my SFX has been my Production class gun, now Carry Optics, it has about 25,000rds on it. The TP9's have probably the BEST box stock triggers and with a light clean & polish they are really good!

Really any big reputable brand these days has something that fills the bill. Do a little research on your considered choices and pick something that has been around for a while.

Texas by God
01-28-2020, 01:13 AM
Ruger P series; my favorite is my P97 .45 ACP.

dverna
01-28-2020, 07:21 AM
It is amazing there are so many reliable semi automatic pistols available. I remember many old timers saying they would never carry one as the revolver was more reliable.

6bg6ga
01-28-2020, 07:48 AM
You went and did it.. another "Best-Most reliable" part in the title of the thread. You will now get 50-100 different answers on what peoples favorite pistol is. I'll answer this fast. There is no best most reliable pistol. All seem to have reputations for being good and or working and that is all you need. People buy according to the features they want on their particular hand gun. Some guns fit peoples hands better than others which prompts people to buy. Some people like a double stack magazine and others favor a single stack. Some like a hammer less model and others don't.

Its all just as simple as you buy what you want what fits your particular needs and that is it. You really don't need someone telling you a Glock 17 is best or a 1911 is best. Just audition the guns (most good shops have guns you can rent so you can try out what your interested in) and make up your own mind based on the features you deem to be important to you. ....my opinion.

smithnframe
01-28-2020, 08:44 AM
I have a Ruger SR1911 I bought new in late 2012 that I have 10,500 rounds through without so much as a hiccup! The most reliable 1911 I have ever owned!

lightman
01-28-2020, 10:56 AM
There are a lot of reliable semi auto pistol available today. Most of my 1911's run reliably. My Sig's run flawlessly. My Glock has been 100% reliable. I probably had the only Browning HiPower in existence that was not reliable. My S&W M-59 was not dependable.

My carry and beside pistol is a Glock. Its not as much fun to shoot as my 1911's.

skrapyard628
01-28-2020, 11:27 AM
Glock is definitely well known for being very reliable. I only own one (G20) and it hasnt had a hiccup for the ~2000 rounds that have gone through it. Thats not a lot of rounds but I still trust it because of their reputation.

The only semi-auto I have had trouble with that wasnt ammo or magazine related was a Sig 320 in .45. Not my gun. But a coworker had me look at it after two trips back to Sig for warranty and a trip to the local "gunsmith". Turned out to be the extractor was waaaaay too tight. Seems like a bit of a fluke for the 320s though with how many are out there in the wild running perfectly fine with no issues.

I also have an ongoing experiment with the red-headed stepchild of my gunsafe. The S&W Sigma SW40VE. For about 10 years I have only cleaned the barrel/bore and added more oil/grease after each range trip. Its a sludge-fest inside of that gun and it just keeps running. Its fired over 10k rounds like this. I also have a 9mm upper for it that feeds fine using the .40 mags and it eats everything off of its plate every time it gets loaded.

In my opinion almost any newly manufactured semi-auto based on a proven design will be reliable.
There can always be problems based on a manufacturing defect or possibly a new type of design but I believe those to be a fairly small percentage based on the total number of firearms being produced each year.

white eagle
01-28-2020, 11:33 AM
I don't know that it is the best but my Sig 1911 never skipped a beat

kaiser
01-28-2020, 12:23 PM
Pistols preference is a more personal choice as to how it fits the hand, operates (safety features, etc.), and pleases the eye than just reliability. Reliability is a prime concern, however, especially to those among us whose lives depend on their operating every time they are put into use. While I'll put reliability over "personality" in pistols I expect to protect me and my family (and friends), I prefer pistols that "feel" at home in my hand and are an extension of my senses. While the Glock has become one of the most used pistols for most law enforcement agencies (large and small), I believe most of their popularity is because they are the simplest to use and train others to shoot. Be advised that most police departments do employ an "armorer" to maintain their firearms and send many of their officers to Glock training courses; none-the-less, the Glock pistol is probably among the top 10 most reliable pistols on the market today.
I personally prefer the CZ75B or CZP07 for additional safety features and handling qualities. CZ pistols did pass the rigid NATO tests for reliability and function where only a few manufactures would subject their products. Until the Glock 4 series came out I felt the Glock handled like a "brick", in my hand at least; plus, I did not like the idea of only having a small tab as the only safety devise and my trigger finger holstering a pistol already "half cocked" with a round in the chamber! (The Springfield XD, at least, has an additional grip safety to prevent accidental discharges!). Before I get hate mail from all the law enforcement folks who have been indoctrinated on Glocks (my indoc was with 1911's), understand I'll concede that your choice is valid if that's your "Huckleberry". We are very fortunate to have many pistols on the market to chose from that are just as reliable as the Glock, while satisfying the shooter and collector. My .02

johniv
01-28-2020, 04:19 PM
What Kaiser said +1.

jonp
01-28-2020, 04:50 PM
I carry a Shield or M&P most of the time but laugh if you want. The only semi I've never had jam with anything is a HiPoint.

Truth be told, any semi from a major manu like Glock, SW, Sig, Tanfaglio, CZ etc will and should work for you. The only one I ever gave up on were 2 Kel Tec's

Idaho45guy
01-28-2020, 05:44 PM

I love Glocks, but the .45 acp versions are pretty big in the grip while the S&W M&P series feel better, as do the XD series. Both are absolutely reliable. It all comes down to what fits your hand the best.

If you are talking 9mm, then the Glocks are wonderful, especially the Gen 5 models with no finger grooves and adjustable backstraps. Most folks who complain about Glocks feeling like a brick haven't handled one in 30 years. Unless they are talking about the .45 and 10mm versions; those are still pretty fat.

Bmi48219
01-28-2020, 08:40 PM
As kaiser stated Glock is one of the most use LE pistols in the nation. One reason (beside being reliable, easy to shoot and repair) is because Glock gives them to LE departments at a very attractive cost. Most departments have armorers that maintain duty & off duty firearms. And almost every department has a very short list of approved duty & off duty firearms. It only makes sense from economic and training perspectives to limit choices to a few pistols. Imagine if the armorers had to stock parts for several manufacturer’s pistols and get certified to repair all of them.
Over 90% of the LE officers I talk to carry Glocks because that is their only option.

Lloyd Smale
01-29-2020, 09:53 AM
Don't tell my glocks that. Ive shot well over a 100k through glocks 99 percent of it cast. that's said are they the best? Cant answer that. Id say its a toss up between glocks and M&Ps and the new sigs for reliability. There all good as are a few others like berretta storms, rugers ect. in my opinion if you have to put one on top its the old steel sigs. I have more glocks then any other but im close in M&Ps and especially with the 2.0 versions with there better trigger and the fact they feel better in my hand then a glock they are probably the best bang for the buck in a black gun at least for me. Best bang for the buck in a black gun at my house was a new 9mm shield for 225 bucks from psa and a glock 22 police trade in with night sights that was like new for 300 bucks with 4 glock mags.
I don't like Glock's. I think a Glock puts cast bullet shooters at a disadvantage. But nobody would ever question the reliability of Glock handguns.

Groo
01-29-2020, 12:53 PM
Groo here
If you treat and feed them correctly most modern autos work well.
You will get a ruff one out of the factory once in a while but for the most part they work.
The biggest problem is the ammo.[ 9mm mostly]
The further away from standard , the worse it gets.
More modern rounds seem to hold standard better [aka non millitary rounds]
The only mill spec round that holds is 45acp [specs carved in stone] and the russian rounds .

tazman
01-29-2020, 02:23 PM
I love Glocks, but the .45 acp versions are pretty big in the grip while the S&W M&P series feel better, as do the XD series. Both are absolutely reliable. It all comes down to what fits your hand the best.

If you are talking 9mm, then the Glocks are wonderful, especially the Gen 5 models with no finger grooves and adjustable backstraps. Most folks who complain about Glocks feeling like a brick haven't handled one in 30 years. Unless they are talking about the .45 and 10mm versions; those are still pretty fat.

I was that person for a long time. I handled a few when they first became available and hated the feel. I never touched one again until about a year ago.
I must say the the new versions are much better than the originals. They also have a reputation for both accuracy and reliability.
I still don't like the grip angle but I could get used to it fairly quickly. I just have too much invested in the pistols I currently own to replace them with Glocks.

HP9MM
01-29-2020, 03:40 PM
I have fired almost 10,000 various reloads through my 69C Hi Power with neither a failure to load or fire. How is that for reliability?

RU shooter
01-29-2020, 03:51 PM
I've only owned 2 pistols that I can say were totally reliable with any load or bullet shape and staked my life on when I was a young LEO first was a Ruger P90 in 45 that thing was a tank and would feed empty brass hand cycling it from the mag . The other was a Glock 19

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-29-2020, 04:08 PM
I'm gonna say I am the "Best-Most reliable" person to comment on which semi-auto handgun is "Best-Most reliable" ...LOL

Ok, I just had a George Herter's moment, please forgive me.
:holysheep[smilie=l::guntootsmiley::2 drunk buddies:

From the early 1990s until now, I've owned many different brands and models of semi-auto handguns. CZ, Ruger, 1911, Magnum Research, Taurus PT24/7, S&W, Browning, Sig, Hi-Point, AMT Auto-Mag, Glock, Springfield, ect...ect.
Yeah, I am pretty sure I am not alone in this claim, and others may well have much more experience than me.
With that said, The Ruger P-series guns seemed the "Best-Most reliable" out of the box, in regards to all aspects, but most especially for not being picky about ammo projectile types...which seems to be the Achilles Heel of most semi-auto handguns.
I've sold all my Ruger P-series handguns that I had owned, one of which I used in a pistol league, when I was downsizing. But after a year or so after that auction, Ruger came out with a model 9e, it was so reasonably priced and looked and felt the same as the P-series guns, so I bought one...and it is like all the P-series guns I previously owned, "Best-Most reliable" !!!

Texas by God
01-29-2020, 06:57 PM
I once had a m1921/m400 Astra that would fire 9mm Largo, 9mm Luger, and .380 mixed in the magazine reliably until I replaced the tired recoil spring. I bushed the chamber for 9mm Luger and carried on. My Marine nephew owns it now and it’s still accurate and runs through jhp like it was made for them. I don’t recall ever seeing that tubular wonder pistol jam!

jonp
01-29-2020, 07:08 PM
I'm gonna say I am the "Best-Most reliable" person to comment on which semi-auto handgun is "Best-Most reliable" ...LOL

Ok, I just had a George Herter's moment, please forgive me.
:holysheep[smilie=l::guntootsmiley::2 drunk buddies:

From the early 1990s until now, I've owned many different brands and models of semi-auto handguns. CZ, Ruger, 1911, Magnum Research, Taurus PT24/7, S&W, Browning, Sig, Hi-Point, AMT Auto-Mag, Glock, Springfield, ect...ect.
Yeah, I am pretty sure I am not alone in this claim, and others may well have much more experience than me.
With that said, The Ruger P-series guns seemed the "Best-Most reliable" out of the box, in regards to all aspects, but most especially for not being picky about ammo projectile types...which seems to be the Achilles Heel of most semi-auto handguns.
I've sold all my Ruger P-series handguns that I had owned, one of which I used in a pistol league, when I was downsizing. But after a year or so after that auction, Ruger came out with a model 9e, it was so reasonably priced and looked and felt the same as the P-series guns, so I bought one...and it is like all the P-series guns I previously owned, "Best-Most reliable" !!!

You know, I'd forgotten my first Semi Auto which was Ruger P-85. Bought used, it rattled, wasn't that accurate (or I wasn't, I prefer to blame it on the pistol) and never jammed on anything from commercial stuff to steel Russian junk. Great pistol.
Cops in a local small town went from a GP100 to a P-90 maybe?, P series anyways to probably a Glock by now. Boy, sure wish I had that GP100 back.

nueces5
01-29-2020, 07:38 PM
I think that all the opinions above have some reason, it is good to comment on weapons that one owns and uses. Before repeating what is read on the network.
I own a G17 that buys it for a business opportunity. When I used it, I fell in love with it, until it was the most reliable weapon I have today. I also have her Austrian cousin, the Steyr M9, but I haven't fired as many shots with her as with the G17.
Before them, I have had and used a Browning HP35, and I have to say that it has shot well everything I have put in the mag.

Budzilla 19
01-29-2020, 08:50 PM
Ruger P-90 in .45, has never failed to fire, will gobble up any ammo it seems like! Mixed up in the mag, hardball, cast , hollow point it will feed and fire, and eject!! Just my opinion

Bigslug
01-29-2020, 10:18 PM
Being in the biz of teaching them and maintaining them, I'd call the Glock the winning combo of cost to buy, easiest to teach, and simplest to keep running.

They have their odd manufacturing hiccup just like anyone else, but overall, they are EXCEEDINGLY good at making every part just like the last part, so they pretty much always go together without any fuss, and you never have to fit anything (like 1911's) and you don't have to deal with STUPID one-time use roll pins if you need to do a detail breakdown (Sig, HK, XD, M&P, etc...)

If your goal is to buy something to be a tool instead of a status symbol or other emotional hang-up, they are a very good tool that does the job they were intended for.

I would suggest you stick with them in 9mm, as that's what they were originally cooked up for, and have made their reputation in.

Lloyd Smale
01-30-2020, 08:53 AM
Being in the biz of teaching them and maintaining them, I'd call the Glock the winning combo of cost to buy, easiest to teach, and simplest to keep running.

They have their odd manufacturing hiccup just like anyone else, but overall, they are EXCEEDINGLY good at making every part just like the last part, so they pretty much always go together without any fuss, and you never have to fit anything (like 1911's) and you don't have to deal with STUPID one-time use roll pins if you need to do a detail breakdown (Sig, HK, XD, M&P, etc...)

If your goal is to buy something to be a tool instead of a status symbol or other emotional hang-up, they are a very good tool that does the job they were intended for.

I would suggest you stick with them in 9mm, as that's what they were originally cooked up for, and have made their reputation in.

yup I guess its hard to argue with a glock. They've earned there stripes. There the ones all others are compared to.

6bg6ga
01-30-2020, 09:06 AM
Like I mentioned in post #21 there are a lot of guns out there that are reliable so what it boils down to really is the options and how they feel in your hand. Have a bunch of 1911's here, S&W shields in 9mm and 45, Springfield's and several other Smiths. Had several Glocks and I still hate the trigger in them after having 1911's with trigger jobs. Hada Glock 20, 23, and a Glock 35. The only halfway decent trigger was the 35 with aftermarket parts. Nothing compares to the 1911 in terms of trigger pull and feel. The Glock 35 you had to work at screwing up a group to accomplish that task. Then again if your going to carry you don't want a match grade trigger but then some of us that are used to a very fine trigger cannot get the accuracy out of a run of the mill trigger. So in my mind its a catch 22.

Re-thinking it in terms of malfunctions the only malfunctions I've ever had were in the Glock 35 but that might have partially been the aftermarket barrels I had used.

jonp
01-30-2020, 09:10 AM
Ruger P-90 in .45, has never failed to fire, will gobble up any ammo it seems like! Mixed up in the mag, hardball, cast , hollow point it will feed and fire, and eject!! Just my opinion

If anyone ever see's a Ruger P Series at a gunshow or pawn shop, much like a Kahr, it will most likely be priced well under any other semi auto except Hi Points and should be snapped up like the Kahr.

Hossfly
01-30-2020, 10:15 AM
CZ75BD for me, have cycled every thing I’ve produced. Kinda heavy for concealed carry but more accurate than i am.

Geezer in NH
01-30-2020, 07:37 PM
As a former shop owner I can say two makes were the only ones without problems.

Glock #1 always worked with any ammo we sold or tried.

Hi-Point #2 the elite lovers will be on this but way it was.

Biggest problems were the elite Kimber or Wilson. I have never bought the you need break in for 250-500 rounds. At the prices charged they should WORK out of the box.

Oh Glocks don't point like my 1911 well it is not a 1911 learn to shoot whatever, that is they way real world works.

Outpost75
01-30-2020, 11:29 PM
Of the WW2 era bring-backs, the Beretta M1934 was probably the best of the lot. Fewer parts than an M1911 and built like little tanks. The best evaluation of the M1934 Beretta pistol I have found read in English was penned by none other than Roy F. Dunlap. He explains that its thumb safety mounted well forward on the left side of the frame, requires a full 180-degree rotation, and so is less ergonomic than a slide-mounted, hammer-dropping safety, used on the Walther PP. The Beretta safety only blocks the sear, not the hammer, so when engaged on a loaded chamber, the pistol is not “drop safe.”

The Beretta safety functions best as a slide lock and takedown lever only. “Condition 3” in which the pistol is carried with chamber empty and safety off, or optionally “Israeli Carry” with the hammer cocked over the empty chamber to ease cycling the slide to chamber a round, is the safest carry.

Upon firing the last round, the magazine follower holds the slide open. Before removing the empty magazine to reload, retract the slide back a fraction of an inch to engage the safety, which then holds the slide open. After doing so, then actuate the butt release to withdraw the magazine. When done this manner, the safety holds the slide, so that you can insert a loaded magazine and then release the slide by disengaging the safety to chamber a round.

Dunlap’s thorough description of the Beretta 1934, appears in Ordnance Went Up Front, (Stackpole, 1948), (1998 Reprint available from The Firearm Classic Library):

"The average military man cannot hit … anything with a pistol. As a rule the bigger the gun, the less he hits…smaller calibers are easier … to handle. A hit with a .380 beats a miss with a .45!.

“I like the Beretta, and regard it as, by far, the best standard sized auto loading pocket pistol in the world…(its) rugged simplicity keeps it …running when (sand) brings…(close tolerance) double-action Walthers and Mausers grinding to a halt.”

“…The Italian Army Model 1934 9mm Corto, outnumbered all other (war trophy) pistols (in the ETO) combined… one of the sturdiest and most reliable auto pistols ever made... The only broken part I ever saw… was a hammer, in which the gun was dropped cocked and locked onto concrete. The service stocks have steel backing plates so if the composition panels are cracked or broken…parts are held securely, so that function of the gun is not affected in any way. The magazine holds seven cartridges. The gun is very well designed and made. I have never been able to cause a malfunction in one without actually bending the steel magazine lips with pliers!…

“…Berettas…are simple to work on…having only 36 parts, none…frail or subject to easy breakage…although many GI’s needed a fixin’ job…because Standard Operating Procedure in the Italian Army, if capture was imminent, was to remove the thumb safety and drop it into the desert sand. GIs were always bringing me Berettas having ‘a hole in the middle’ and asking for me to make the part...So, I got pretty good at it.

“The manual thumb safety holds the pistol together by locking the barrel into the frame; it also acts as a stop for and receives its tension from the recoil spring guide, acting as a slide lock to hold the pistol open for inspection or takedown…

The hammer may be manually cocked at any time and it is theoretically possible …to discharge accidentally with the safety on, in spite of the fact that it uses the short, inertia type firing pin requiring a full blow. Such an accident would be possible only by breaking away the sear notch in the hammer.

The depth of sear notch and angle of engagement make this unlikely… the disconnector is effective in preventing doubling as the trigger cannot move the sear until the slide is fully closed.

“The Italians believe in safe trigger pulls, safe meaning heavy. But it is simple for a skilled gunsmith to remove the hammer and in a manner similar to the M1911 work up a creep-free 4-pound trigger retaining a completely safe depth of sear engagement…”

While not my choice as a primary carry, the Beretta is a great "spare" gun to stash away in a .30 cal. ammo can with holster, cleaning gear, extra mags and a basic load of ammo. Mine feeds anything from hardball to cast 125-grain flatnoses and Remington 102-grain Golden Saber JHPs.
The heavy 125-grain lead FN bullets at about 825 fps mimick .38 Special snub energy and are astounding penetrators on our larger farm varmints!

The 1934 was continued in postwar commercial manufacture until 1968 and was sold widely in the US by Stoeger and other importers. The commercial guns are well made and very affordable, selling for about $100 less than a capture-papered WW2 bringback. A basic sturdy gun.

redneck1
01-31-2020, 10:01 PM
I'll join the highpoint bandwagon for reliability , mine will feed and shoot anything you pick up and put in the magazine without fail .
I can't say that about any of the other semi automatic pistols I've owned .
I'll freely admit to being more of a revolver guy so I haven't the broad range of personal experience as others .

But if it ever came down to there could only be one ... And it had to be a semi automatic. I'd pick the high point every time based solely off my personal experience.

poppy42
01-31-2020, 10:50 PM
Ok you asked and I’ll tell you. My most reliable semi auto is my makarov! Wet, dropped in the mud, it eats anything I put in it. I have and do stake my life on it. The kgb knew what they were doing

Petrol & Powder
02-10-2020, 07:39 PM
This is an interesting thread. The MOST reliable? That a bit tough to say. There are lots of very reliable pistols but I'm not sure how one would qualify "The Most" reliable.

Glocks are extraordinarily reliable, almost unbelievably at times. For a modern pistol, it may be one of the best in terms of reliability.

Outpost75 mentioned the Beretta 1934 and I agree those are solid pistols that work very well.
On the Beretta theme, The Italian made model 92 pistols will function with just about any ammunition that even looks like a 9mm Luger cartridge.

The SIG P-6 [AKA P225] is an incredibly reliable pistol and so is its bigger brother the Swiss SIG P75.

There were a lot of pre-World War II pistols that functioned extremely well and quite a few post war pistols were also solid guns.

Some of the Soviet bloc pistols such as the TT-33 look a bit rough but work amazingly well.

Perhaps instead of asking which pistol is the MOST reliable we should be making a list of reliable pistols.

Jtarm
02-10-2020, 09:41 PM
Oh Glocks don't point like my 1911 well it is not a 1911 learn to shoot whatever, that is they way real world works.

Im about as old school as they get, 20+ handguns in my safe and only 3 are CF autoloaders. The rest are revos and a couple SS.

One is an heirloom 1911A1 that doesn’t get shot.

Ones an S&W 3913 I leave for my wife when I’m gone, because she freaks at anything without a manual safety.

The one that gets used is a LEO turn in G35.

I’ve had multiple 1911s pass through my hands, including a customized Colt Series 70. None have inspired me to give up the revolver.

As the man said, I don’t always shoot autos, but when I do, I prefer Glock.

I occasionally rent a fancy 1911 at the local indoor (last tried a Sig), just to see. Nope, I’d still take the G35

I bought an LW conversion 9mm barrel and mag. That’s all we needed for my son to blaze away with 9mm training ammo (I don’t reload 9mm).

I’ve never been one to run with the herd, and the Glock is ugly as a mud fence, but, damn, I like the way it shoots.

Bill*B
02-10-2020, 10:40 PM
I have owned several Glocks, and will give them their due - they are rugged, reliable, and accurate. I let all of them go, though - because they scare me. That trigger mounted "safety" doesn't seem like a safety to me. Mine were range guns so it really didn't matter - but if I was going to carry one it would get the Israeli treatment - an empty barrel, requiring the slide to be racked to go into action. Now, no flames please. I know that most shooters are perfectly happy with a Glock, but I want a manual safety on my semi autos.

Outpost75
02-11-2020, 12:18 AM
Glocks are a training issue. If you were "weaned on them" they will work for you, but give old revolver guys like me "the willys!"

I don't want a single-action autopistol with manual safety either. German police specified that a duty pistol should be capable of safe carry with the chamber loaded, and should be capable of immediate firing by trigger stroke only, without manipulation of an external safety. In the event of a fail to fire, it should be capable of a repeat strike on the primer by repeating the trigger stroke. Back in the 1980s they approved the Walther P5, SIG P6, and HKP7.

So, I am OK with the DA first shot (familiar like a revolver) and SA repeat subsequent shots. But I was trained "old school." My usual carry is a DA revolver, but sometimes I may carry a DA-SA auto such as SIG P230 or Beretta 81.

onelight
02-11-2020, 12:21 AM
Glocks are a training issue. If you were "weaned on them" they will work for you, but they old revolver guys like me the willys!

I don't want a single-action autopistol with manual safety either. German police specified that a duty pistol should be capable of safe carry with the chamber loaded, and should be capable of immediate firing by trigger stroke only, without manipulation of an external safety. In the event of a fail to fire, it should be capable of a repeat strike on the primer by repeating the trigger stroke.

I am OK with the DA first shot (like a revolver) and SA repeat shots. But I was trained "old school." My usual carry is a DA revolver, but sometimes I will carry a DA-SA auto such as SIG P230 or Beretta 81.
I feel the same way my most carried are a HKp30sk 9mm and springfield XDE 45 both da/sa guns.

Misery-Whip
02-11-2020, 01:19 AM
I didnt notice FN mentioned, so here is their plug, but my FNS-9C has eaten everything. A lil oil out of the box, loaded a mag, and she was running. Accurate, came with 2x12round and 1x17round mags,and it just works 0 failures in 600? Rounds and counting. 115gr on up to 147 ammo, it dont care. Very happy very impressed for $499. (ON SALE)

Oh bore is .3555 and will chamber a .358 no problem. Shoots 358-125-rf into 2" at 30' off hand with a near max load of hp-38(standard cast data) powdercoated. A nice pile of brass 3' right 2' back...so dont step there...

Never owned a glock, fired a few 9s and 40. Wasnt for me. If the 10mm bug gets me I might be tempted. But ive got other itches at the moment.

FLINTNFIRE
02-11-2020, 02:08 AM
Used to carry old 1966 hi-power , still have it went to packing 1911 sometimes a glock depends on mood it can be a 34 35 41 or a 37 , they all are reliable or I would not have them , yes they are all loaded with cast , I like the hi-power and its close to my age and it is no beauty or safe queen but I do like a little bigger slug and or a longer barrel , just me and my preferences , go find a selection to see how and what feels right shoot it to see how it shoots for you and with what you want to load in it . misery-whip my dad called them that and also a swedish fiddle of course he used them off of spring boards and the old one lung drag saws but later in life he welded skookum yarder tubes .

rintinglen
02-11-2020, 09:00 AM
Not my cup of tea, but if there is a more reliable pistol than the Beretta 92 I have never seen it. 1911’s are junk by comparison.

(But I own a 1911, not a Beretta 92, go figure.)

6bg6ga
02-11-2020, 09:12 AM
This is one of those nonsensical threads that are by nature going to generate hundreds of different replies. Everybody is naturally going to mention their semi automatic as the best. We have a number of different brands and models listed so far. The ONLY thing that really matters is if when you have to use it you pull the trigger and it goes bang.

Pb Burner
02-11-2020, 01:10 PM
Ok you asked and I’ll tell you. My most reliable semi auto is my makarov! Wet, dropped in the mud, it eats anything I put in it. I have and do stake my life on it. The kgb knew what they were doing

Hard to disagree with this, IF it has been taken apart and properly cleaned and lubed. Of 2 of them, with the cosmoline(?) cleaned out, have been flawless. The only time one wasn't, was when I intentionally downloaded rounds that would barely, or not cycle the action, while working on loads. Many different factory loads and all variety of handloads (other than underpowered), have always been 100% reliable in both Makarovs.
Also, I'd always badmouthed Glocks, just because I didn't like "plastic" pistols. Then I had the chance to run a few full mags through one. I don't run them down anymore, felt really good and I hit everything I aimed at. I still love 1911's, but won't ever knock a Glock again.

curioushooter
02-11-2020, 01:22 PM
I have never known Glocks to have any reliability issues once they got their magazine issues sorted out about 25 years ago. Certainly I wouldn't worry about one made in the last 20 years. That said they are ugly. I don't care what anybody says. They are ugly. I also don't appreciate how the stock Glocks are cheezy with plastic sights and crap that just shouldn't exist on any firearm. There is a reason why there is a huge aftermarket for Glocks. They are both ubiquitous and benefit from upgrades.

I have been a fan of the CZ75 design for a long time. I had reliability issues with the Tanfoglios. But the real Czech made firearms are an outstanding value and I've never experienced a single reliability issue with any of them, even using cheap MecGar mags. I suspect they are vastly more durable than a Glock in terms of round count lifespan. They are also TRULY a SA/DA and have traditional land and groove rifling, which I think makes them a better cast boolit platform than a Glock. The traditional pattern can be used Cocked and Locked and well as DA. I've just never been able to shoot as accurately with the Glock type striker fired pistol. I had a H&K P7 (which shouldn't be used with Cast Boolits) that was striker fired and I shot very accurately, but they way they work is different from the Glock.

I think the CZ75PO1 (compact aluminum frame with DA/SA trigger) is probably the neatest 9mm pistol out there right now and an outstanding value. The only criticism I have of my CZ75B is that it's a bit too large and heavy for 9mm. With a loaded mag of 147s it weighs more than my 4" S&W Model 19 and is considerably less potent.

tazman
02-11-2020, 01:59 PM
The most reliable pistol will be whichever one you have two of.
If you have only one, something will always go wrong at some point.
If you have two, neither will ever give you trouble.
They do this to make you think you made a mistake buying two of them.
This works right up till you decide to sell one of them, then the other will start malfunctioning.
That's how my luck runs.

johniv
02-12-2020, 09:38 PM
I have no issues with my Colts. I have owned and shot most of the new and old designs. They ALL have faults and “training issues”. There is NO free lunch. I usually carry a 1911 or a revolver.

elmacgyver0
02-12-2020, 10:15 PM
I keep buying guns in hopes of finding one that doesn't work, so far, no luck, the search goes on.

gnostic
02-13-2020, 12:15 AM
My 645 S&W cycles with empty cases, I can't remember it having jammed up ever.

Petrol & Powder
02-13-2020, 08:30 AM
My 645 S&W cycles with empty cases, I can't remember it having jammed up ever.

I've never been a huge fan of S&W autos but I'll give the 645 its full credit. Not only are the 645's extremely reliable, they are some of the most accurate 45 ACP DA pistols ever made. I have yet to see one that will not make nice little groups.

S&W didn't make the 645 for long before the 3rd gen pistols were introduced (just a few years in the 1980's IIRC). They are difficult to find on the used market because the people that own them, never let go of them.

And speaking of pistols that will cycle empty casings, I had an Italian made Beretta 92SB that would cycle with empty cases. It was nearly impossible to make that gun not function.

Sig556r
02-13-2020, 08:46 AM
Always been a Sig (classic line) & 1911 fanboy...still am, but each of my ugly polys: G19s (gen3 & poly80), G17s, G34 & G22 (gen2), even an early M&P, are yet to malfunction with any ammo I feed 'em, super or sub, oem or swap barrels, suppressed or not. They're also aren't prone to scratches & maintenance is breeze...
Either you have safe queens that make you feel proud or beaters that make you feel safe.

RJM52
02-13-2020, 10:14 AM
Have owned a bunch of semis over the years and almost everyone of them choked at some point... The one that I can say that has not is a S&W 6906 that has well over 7K rounds through it almost all handloads.

It was my duty gun for 9+ years and the only failure was not the guns fault it was some 9mm 147 subsonic ammo...one of the rounds was a pop instead of a bang and the slide failed to cycle. I trained several different shooters on that gun and it never failed to cycle in their hands either... It will eat rounds that will choke a Glock.

I ran tactical shooting classes and NRA pistol courses for 25 years and would often see 5-7K rounds go down range in a weekend. I can't say that there was any make/model of gun that I didn't see choke...but I can say that the only ones I have seen knock themselves out of service were Glocks. I have had four blow cases when I was shooting them (19, 34, 32 and 40, factory ammo and reloads) and have been standing behind shooters with 19s (2), 23 (1) and 21 (1) who had Glockbooms. One 19 was factory ammo, one 19 was handloads. The 21 was a handload and the 23 was a factory round... I have another co-instructor who blew his 23 with a reload....and have read about plenty more.

Bob

RJM52
02-13-2020, 10:21 AM
The most reliable pistol will be whichever one you have two of.
If you have only one, something will always go wrong at some point.
If you have two, neither will ever give you trouble.
They do this to make you think you made a mistake buying two of them.
This works right up till you decide to sell one of them, then the other will start malfunctioning.
That's how my luck runs.

..simple reason for that... When you have two they are competing like children to see who they can make dad love more... One leaves and the one left gets lazy as they no longer have to compete...

tazman
02-13-2020, 12:35 PM
..simple reason for that... When you have two they are competing like children to see who they can make dad love more... One leaves and the one left gets lazy as they no longer have to compete...

That makes sense to me.

jrayborn
02-15-2020, 09:40 PM
I think most name brands are very reliable these days. I prefer Glock but there are many others that are just as good.

rbuck351
02-15-2020, 11:09 PM
Although Glocks are very reliable, as a range officer for DOC I saw two that failed to feed with factory ammo. Still, not bad for as many rounds as I saw fired and fired my self with the G22. Glocks are tough, reliable and accurate but for me they do not point in properly. Had a G21 for several years and shot a lot of cast through it without problems but it too points up and left when pointed in. A few years back my wife bought me an XDs in 45 and it has not had any issues in around 1000 rds and is accurate and points in where it should for me. About 1975 I bought an old well used Ballaster Molina that has been 100% reliable since. I shot NRA 50ft indoor for several years with that gun and for a while used 200gr swc boolits loaded backward to make a full wadcutter. None failed to feed and were plenty accurate at 50ft. I have no idea how many rds I have shot through that from light bullseye loads to +p 230s at 930fps. None failed to feed or fire. I have no idea which semi auto pistol is the most reliable but I have two that are very good. Oh, I also have an old Ruger MKI T 22lr that I have put cases of ammo through with out a failure to feed or fire unless the ammo just would not fire. But I suppose the OP wasn't talking about 22lrs.

Thundarstick
02-16-2020, 06:19 AM
Same here, Ruger MK III that's probably eaten more CCI Mini Mags than you could put in a 5 gallon bucket and I can't remember a FTF, FTE, or dud. With any auto you'd better be ready to handle a stoppage, heck even condoms aren't claimed to be 100%!

engineer401
02-16-2020, 09:16 PM
I never had issues with Sig or FN. They always functioned well. The only time I had problems was when I shot dirty ammo in a Sig 220. I sprayed it with gun cleaner then it shot fine again.

Petrol & Powder
02-17-2020, 08:43 AM
You can spot the generational influences in this thread. it's interesting.

There was a time when there just were not that many choices in full size pistols in America. It wasn't that pistols were rare, they were not, but revolvers were just more common.
Prior to about the early 1980's, full sized pistols commonly encountered in America were generally chambered in 9mm or 45 ACP. You had 1911's, first generation S&W 9mm pistols, Browning Hi-powers, P-38's, Luger's ; etc.
There were NO Glocks, CZ-75's had to be smuggled out from behind the iron curtain, the SIG P75 (P220) was something you read about but had never seen. The 40 S&W, 357 SIG, 45GAP, and other cartridges didn't exist. Pistols were either small blow-back guns chambered in .22, 25ACP, 32 ACP or 380 Auto OR mostly military designs and a few S&W model 39 or 59 pistols.

Then the world shifted and the semi-auto pistol became far more common. Glocks were invented, SIG Sauer's were imported and then made in America, Ruger developed the P-series, the Berretta 92 series became the U.S. military pistol (and production started in Maryland), polymer frames became a thing, former Soviet bloc guns flooded the U.S., S&W made the gun of the week ;), the 41 Action express took the world by storm.
(just kidding).

SO, when confronted with the question, "What is the Most Reliable Semi-Auto Pistol", the answer is colored a bit by your personal experience. Someone that grew up with Glocks, Berretta 92's, and Ruger P-series pistols will have a different experience to draw from as opposed to someone that once viewed a 9mm pistol as a European gun or maybe a S&W model 39.

mtnman31
02-17-2020, 09:00 PM
H&k USP

onelight
02-17-2020, 09:09 PM
H&k USP
Yup USP is built like a tank mine has been 100% so has my HK p30sk

Plate plinker
02-17-2020, 10:26 PM
The Glocks and quality built 1911's have worked for me, as well as the ruger MKII pistol.

If you haven't fired a minimum of 10,000 rounds through your "reliable" gun does it even count?

Idaho45guy
02-18-2020, 05:32 AM
The Glocks and quality built 1911's have worked for me, as well as the ruger MKII pistol.

If you haven't fired a minimum of 10,000 rounds through your "reliable" gun does it even count?

Interesting standard. I doubt most gun owners have ever fired 10,000 rounds through one of their pistols, or even all of their pistols combined.

I'm pretty sure I haven't. Does it mean that a pistol isn't reliable up until 10,000 rounds? No, because that would be ridiculous. If a firearm hasn't malfunctioned for 10k rounds, then it is indeed reliable. It is a piece of machinery with moving parts that eventually wear out.

I believe my new Sig has a recoil spring replacement interval of around 2500 rounds due to it's diminutive stature. If I shoot it to 5k rounds and the spring fails, does that mean that the gun was an unreliable piece of junk? No, it means that I failed to do routine maintenance as instructed and replace normal wear items.
I own a 2019 Toyota 4Runner. It is one of, if not the most, reliable SUVs on the road. But if I don't change the oil or do required maintenance, or abuse it, and it fails at 50,000 miles, does it mean that it was not a reliable vehicle? No.

Saying a firearm isn't reliable if it can't go to 10,000 rounds without maintenance or any wear seems unrealistic.

Plate plinker
02-18-2020, 10:32 AM
Good point about maintenance and consumable parts, although I didn't suggest that it should run without maintenance.

I personally get fed up with people telling me how superior their new carry gun is compared to whatever. The question I ask is have you shot it much and most of the time the reply is "I put a couple mags through it or a box of ball". I guess thats good enough if you want to look at your guns, however if we are relying on these guns for self defense or under competition GFL.

RANT OVER.

onelight
02-18-2020, 01:43 PM
Within most brands some guns are much better than others I had a Glock 36 that never made it through 200 rounds with out a failure of some kind I shot probably 2k through it trying to figure it out many of those factory ball different kinds of failures used 4 different mags replaced springs all Glock parts two different Glock armorers looked at and shot no problems it might run 50 or 150 rounds and have a stoppage of some kind.
I know that is not typical of Glock I had a 19 one of the early ones that came in the plastic box that PULLED the trigger when you put it in the box , the box was stupid but the 19 was a great gun.
All that said you are right Plate plinker , carry guns need to be proved with the carry ammo before going in my holster no matter who made them , but I don't do 10,000 rounds .

Dapaki
02-18-2020, 06:03 PM
H&k USP

H**L YES! I cant carry it EDC though, I rely on a pocket carry Ruger LC9s for EDC and even though it has a lot of haters, I have yet to have a FTF or stove pipe using Federal HSP in the case I bought for it. There are MANY better guns out there but this little 9mm in a Crossbreed pocket holster has yet to be ID'd by the Po-Po in front pocket carry due to the ZERO printing of the holster.

Bottom line... Will you carry every day, every where? No matter what, no matter the weather?

In a comment to the 10k rounds fired. If I have 10k rounds through my EDC, I am trading it for a new one, too much wear for me.