PDA

View Full Version : Large blueprint paper: Good or Bad?

eka
11-14-2008, 07:19 PM
Came across some blueprint paper, sheets about 3'X5'. They don't look shiney (thinking abrasives), maybe just plain old computer type paper just super-sized. It feels different to me, like really nice paper and measures out at .0035. Anybody have any experience with this stuff? Any rag content? Thinking about using it to patch my Fat 30 GB boolit up to 8X57.

Keith

longbow
11-14-2008, 08:41 PM
eka:

It depends on whether the paper is vellum or bond. The engineering office I used to work in printed on vellum just like what we used to draft in pencil on. That paper was pretty hardy and I think would work ~ or at least be worth a try. The vellum is semi transparent like a heavy tracing paper.

The bond they use now falls apart when it gets wet (ask how I know). It is also quite thick at around 0.005".

It certainly wouldn't hurt to mic it and find out if it is the right thickness then try rolling some boolits in it. If it is a vellum or has rag content it should work. If it is like the stuff I picked up it won't even wrap without falling apart.

Longbow

eka
11-14-2008, 09:04 PM
Thanks Longbow. It measures .0035. I guess we'll just wet it and see what it does.

Keith

bcp477
11-14-2008, 10:41 PM
It is certainly worth a try. Heck, I use ordinary, lined notebook paper - like the kids use at school. It works great, it's cheap and the correct thickness.

docone31
11-14-2008, 10:47 PM
I second the notebook paper. It makes a REAL stable paper patch.
Easy to use, easy to size, shoots GREAT.

cajun shooter
11-14-2008, 11:14 PM
Longbow, your answer about the vellum is correct but the bond that we use now is very water tolerant. It also holds up against the rays of the sun. You can now leave a set of plans outside in the rain and they will still be good when they dry. The normal drafting size is 24x36.It also comes in a roll that the copy business use to produce a set of building plans. Ask me how I know; my wife and I own our own drafting business in Baton Rouge,La. She has been doing it for over 30 years.It's impossible to find a set of real "BLUE PRINTS" any more as all the copy places don't want to fool with the chemicals involved. The old prints would fall apart if wet and fade in the sun.

longbow
11-15-2008, 12:47 PM
cajun shooter:

We used to print on vellum because some of the old print machines were still in use but after our last client went to scanners we started using a bond paper to save money. It is nowhere near the durability of the vellum or even notebook paper so maybe management cut too many corners! Literally this stuff falls apart if it gets damp so you must be getting a higher quality paper. Good choice.

As a side comment, the place I used to work for, and am, working for again is over 100 years old. The old drawings up to about the 1950's were done in India ink on waxed linen. Almost indestructicle! The designs were first sketched or roughed out then given to a draftsman who would draft on bond paper. The drawing would be checked and completed on the bond then the waxed linen would be placed over top like tracing paper and a tracer would copy the entire drawing onto the waxed linen. Generally very high quality work too!

Vellum replaced the waxed linen in around the 1950's for us.

Longbow

Typecaster
11-17-2008, 08:47 PM
cajun shooter—
This is one situation where the new technology IS better. I just ran across my working/site blueprints from when I remodeled/expanded the house. The only thing I can read is the rubber stamp from the building department from when I got the approval (1979) and the stamp from the fire department. Otherwise, I just hope the inspection records from the inspector (who said it was fine "as built") are in the system.

Richard