PDA

View Full Version : Remington R1S

Iwsbull
01-25-2020, 11:26 PM
I have had this one for several months now, and I have to say it has been a very nice pistol. The factory mags are 50/50 one functions flawlessly the other not so much. With the good factory mag it has never had a failure the other will sometimes fail to feed on the last round. I ran a few hundred rounds through it before I did anything other than a set of Buffalo bone handles and clean it. I polished the trigger bow and adjusted the sear spring, will install an adjustable trigger soon. The trigger is light and crisp but has a little more take up than I would like. I am also considering changing out the sights. The accuracy is better than I am and it is good to go out to at least 50 yards, as I have not tried it any further.
I am not saying it is anywhere near as nice or smooth as the high end 1911’s a friend of mine uses. A Nighthawk, a Les Baer and a Wilson but it is not in that price range either ( neither am I). It does match up well in accuracy with them at least with my skill level. My son (19) loves it much more than any of the plastic guns we or my friends have even a Zev ( did I mention I love having a friend that has way more money than me as I get to see and use things I would otherwise never get to :).
If you are looking at a 1911 don’t overlook these. I bought mine otd at a local chain sporting goods store for less than $600.00. I think they are $579.99 before tax right now. Anyway they are a nice priced stainless 1911255422 I know it’s dirty I have just came in and not cleaned it yet.

35remington
01-26-2020, 12:04 AM
Last round failures to feed are often spring issues.

Boogieman
01-26-2020, 01:58 AM
Weak mag. springs or bent feed lips. Try some Wilson Combat mags Midway has them on sale often. 1911 style guns don't like some of the shorter HP and SWC loads.

Iwsbull
01-26-2020, 02:14 AM
It has eaten everything I have fed it so far from various factory ammonia to the Lyman 452460 swc. The only problem was with the one mag but they both look a bit sketchy I have not replaced them with the Wilson mags yet. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good adjustable trigger I was thinking the Nighthawk one look pretty good so I could get rid off the take up and the overtravel.

Thin Man
01-26-2020, 06:38 AM
A friend has an R1 that suddenly quit firing. No fire pin marks on the primers. He called Remington for help and then shipped the pistol to them in October, 2019. In November they responded that his pistol required replacement of the firing pin block parts to restore it to firing condition. Beyond that, his pistol was manufactured before they initiated the "Lifetime Warranty" so the costs of the repairs and return shipping would total about $50 or close to that. He provided credit card detail to the factory to cover these costs. The firearm has not made its way back from the factory yet. Already he is claiming that as soon as the pistol comes back to him he will sell it and swears he will never own anything else with the Remington name on it.

Biggin
01-26-2020, 08:37 AM
I guess I'm lucky I've got 3 R1s and haven't had any problems with them. Clean and lube feed them good ammo.

Dan Cash
01-26-2020, 12:23 PM
A friend has an R1 that suddenly quit firing. No fire pin marks on the primers. He called Remington for help and then shipped the pistol to them in October, 2019. In November they responded that his pistol required replacement of the firing pin block parts to restore it to firing condition. Beyond that, his pistol was manufactured before they initiated the "Lifetime Warranty" so the costs of the repairs and return shipping would total about $50 or close to that. He provided credit card detail to the factory to cover these costs. The firearm has not made its way back from the factory yet. Already he is claiming that as soon as the pistol comes back to him he will sell it and swears he will never own anything else with the Remington name on it.

$50.00 and all of that time to repair/replace a non essential firing pin block costing perhaps $1.00. Someone is taking serious advantage.

After thinking about it, when he gets the gun back and wants to sell it, you buy it at a steep discount, remove the firing pin block and have a super fine handgun all your own on the cheap.

jrayborn
02-23-2020, 08:41 PM
I have never really had much love for Remington products. Not saying there is anything wrong with them, just never scratched any itch.