PDA

View Full Version : Legal lead fishing sinker size?

Darth-Vang
01-25-2020, 11:07 PM
As the title refers too. Not lead bullets I know. But since it’s lead casting and there’s at least someone who knows if there is a illegal fishing sinker size that I can’t cast to use? Is there such a size restriction for lead sinkers that I can’t use? Don’t want to get a bug fat ticket for it. Anyone who knows feel free to chime in.

Winger Ed.
01-25-2020, 11:34 PM
That's more of a question for your state Game Warden.

Our regulations are all spelled out in the book ya get when you buy a hunting or fishing license,
but if ya give them a call, they'll usually answer your questions right off the top of their head.

Cast_outlaw
01-25-2020, 11:36 PM
Well I know there ar 12 to 16 oz Halabiut jigs so I’m going to say there is not it’s the limit of what your gear and yourself will handle 4 to 8 oz work good for salmon on the coast and also great for casting

GhostHawk
01-26-2020, 08:41 AM
Mn and ND have no size restrictions. Exception might be for snagging paddlefish.

Mpstly I cast 1/2 oz with a few smaller and larger.

georgerkahn
01-26-2020, 09:05 AM
I'd suggest the main relevance for the answer to your question is your location. I would either Google, or make a telephone call, to the authority (the Department of Environmental Conservation -- DEC -- is it, in my -- New York, state) governing such to find if any lead laws are in your area.
In New York State, I believe one may use any lead sinkers of any size/weight. But, it is most illegal to sell any which are less than one-half ounce in weight. It is professed that the thirty percent reduction of loon population had been caused by their lead ingestion; similarly -- a lead ban in shotshells for bird hunting -- was enacted due to eagles dying from their eating left carcasses with lead shot in them.
However -- I have many Do-It brand sinker, jig, and shot moulds -- and legally may cast and use whatever I wish throughout the state with no restrictions whatever. Again, those in 1/2 oz. or less may not be purveyed.
Re your fear of a ticket -- my guess would be a shop selling <1/2 oz lead sinkers would be much more prone to be cited than a fisher at a river-bank or water craft.
geo

Wayne Smith
01-26-2020, 03:04 PM
In New Hampshire and on the Great Lakes they use cannon ball size sinkers to get the lure/bait down deep enough. Lake trout are at the bottom in the summer. New York bounds lake Erie doesn't it?

georgerkahn
01-26-2020, 05:57 PM
In New Hampshire and on the Great Lakes they use cannon ball size sinkers to get the lure/bait down deep enough. Lake trout are at the bottom in the summer. New York bounds lake Erie doesn't it?

As a died-in-the-wool lake trout seeker, we do indeed use lead weights to get to the bottom -- e.g., I generally fish from shallow 48' down to about 80' down -- right on the bottom. A "release" is attached to the wire attached to the 6 to 8 pound weight, to which is clicked in the fishing line with lure. When a fish chomps the lure, the release is tripped, and the lucky angler gets to (hopefully) bring up the laker.
The eastern most Great Lake is Lake Ontario, with its overflow running via the St. Lawrence River thru to Montreal, PQ, Canada -- and then to the Atlantic. The west end of Ontario connects vis Niagara Falls (and the Welland Canal for ship transit) into Lake Erie, just a few kilometers from Buffalo, NY. I've fished both for salmon and trout in Lake Ontario -- never (yet) in Lake Eerie.
geo

10 ga
01-27-2020, 10:48 AM
Thinking that lead fishing gear of any type is prohibited on federal lands, thank Obummer. I know that the ponds on the military bases and wildlife refuges here in eastern VA prohibit all/any lead fishing gear.

country gent
01-27-2020, 12:20 PM
I too believe a lot of states have banned lead fishing weights and lures also. I saved my zink weights to make jig heads and sinkers the only lead sinkers I cast were split shots. I would contact your states DNR or the state your fishing in with the question, get the answer right from the source

Geezer in NH
01-27-2020, 08:11 PM
NH lead fishing weights or jig min is 1 ounce. Below that no lead at all.

Darth-Vang
01-28-2020, 11:23 PM
Thanks for all the feedbacks folks. I’ll give them a call to clarify things.

gwpercle
01-29-2020, 05:08 PM
In the state of Louisiana there are no restrictions on the use or size of lead fishing sinkers ...yet

Where Y'at Darth Vang ?

Darth-Vang
01-29-2020, 11:42 PM
In the state of Louisiana there are no restrictions on the use or size of lead fishing sinkers ...yet

Where Y'at Darth Vang ? I live in Oklahoma.

Burnt Fingers
01-30-2020, 09:56 AM
Okie land is Free America. I highly doubt you have any restrictions on size.

trapper9260
01-30-2020, 10:03 AM
Call your game warden beside look at the laws of your state. Each state have there own laws on it and some have no laws for use of lead sinkers.

John Boy
01-30-2020, 10:19 AM
http://congressionalsportsmen.org/policies/state/lead-sinker-ban
It's a State by State ban - not all States

quilbilly
02-02-2020, 05:21 PM
No restrictions here yet except on certain bodies of water. At one time there anti-sportfishing groups wanted to ban sinkers less than 3 oz. but the ridicule got so intense that they backed down. Everyone wanted to know where the pteradactyls were that could eat a 2 oz cannonball sinker. No bad idea ever dies in a legislature.

David2011
02-04-2020, 01:31 AM
Not only call your game warden but get to know them. They’re regular people and enjoy contact with good guys. I’ve had the pleasure of getting to know several as a Hunter Ed instructor.

Misery-Whip
02-04-2020, 01:51 AM
As long as ya can reel it back in? Ya Dont want a littering ticket...:grin:

Darth-Vang
02-07-2020, 03:38 PM
As long as ya can reel it back in? Ya Dont want a littering ticket...:grin:
Good one. �� ��

Land Owner
02-07-2020, 10:15 PM
Offshore fishermen use legal trolling weights of lead that are upwards of 10 pounds.

https://www.boatid.com/cannon/cannon-flash-weights-trolling-weight-658906250.html?offermpnid=1895425&view=123456&utm_source=microsoft&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=268680546&utm_content=1173179785863921

When you need to get to the bottom or stay at a specific depth in a swift or moving body of water, size matters.

skeettx
02-07-2020, 10:29 PM
Page 8

https://www.wildlifedepartment.com/education-old/fitsdocs/okfits_manual_may2014.pdf

Mal Paso
02-08-2020, 12:05 AM
On sinkers over 50 pounds OSHA requires the label "Team Lift" showing two caricatures lifting the sinker.

[smilie=l:

Darth-Vang
02-08-2020, 12:24 PM
I really appreciate the info you guys are putting up. I really learn some new things as well.