PDA

View Full Version : Another Star lubesizer question

ddeaton
11-14-2008, 05:22 PM
Ok, if I were to order a new one, what whistles and bells do I need to get with it. I am planning to order 1 with die for 45 auto. I see they have heated pads for softening lube and a air pressure kit. Are both these needed? I know it depends on which lube you use also. That is still up in the air with me also, as I dont know which lube to use for slow moving 45's.
Thanks,
Danny

NuJudge
11-14-2008, 05:51 PM
I run mine with NRA 50/50 lube. I take off the top and pull out the piston and pour micro-wave oven-melted lube in up to the vent hole, then re-assemble.

I frequently shoot a couple hundred .45 acp SWC a month. If that's what you shoot, one evening in front of the TV running the Star luber normally should take care of you for the month.

I have heard of, but never seen, a double-capacity lube reservoir. That would be twice the pain in the neck getting the piston out, but half as often.

CDD

EDK
11-14-2008, 06:07 PM
Get a heater...Midway has a universal one for about $45...I don't use it much...I really like using 50/50 ALOX from LARS (best price around!) so I can walk in, tighten up the lube reservoir handle and get busy. You might get tempted to try hard lubes, so get it now. The 50/50 NRA formula works great for low end/mid range loads in my 357s, 44s and 45s.

The shovel type handle looks good, but I haven't used one myself.
I'll pass on the air cylinder and extended lube reservoir.

Refilling the lube reservoir is the worst feature of the STAR....besides the cost of the dies! There isn't much on instructions, but plenty of info on the forums here. Do some reading and save some headaches!

:Fire::castmine::redneck:

Springfield
11-14-2008, 06:17 PM
Refilling the reservoir is much easier if you have the air cylinder. Might be motivation enough to get one.

CSH
11-14-2008, 06:19 PM
Contact lathesmith for your Star sizer dies. Excellent quality and a lot less than Magma's price if you opt for the unhardened C-clip die ($22). He will harden the die for an extra $4 if that's what you want. I've sized hundreds of WDWW (20 BHN) .437" bullets down to .4315" using a C-clip die with no problem.

I would also recommend the lube heater. You can buy a commercial one or search this site for ideas regarding homemade units. I've also seen posts by several guys who purchased the air compressor adapter to keep pressure on the lube reservoir. They say it's the best money they ever spent.

cajun shooter
11-15-2008, 09:37 AM
After having a few long bouts with the stock sizer when it came time to refill I bought the reservoir. So nice ,just put the air in and up comes the plunger. I'll second Springfield on this one.

wheelgunner
11-15-2008, 01:36 PM
I use both the heater (needed for the hard lubes I like to use) and the air cylinder (increases your cyclic rate and makes adding lube much quicker). I also have the shovel handle (GREAT addition) and the bullet feeder (mine was made by the predesesor (sp?) of Magma) though I find I can almost size as quickly without the feeder.

A word about Magma customer service: it's outstanding! I usually get a woman that answers the phone there, she is very knowledgeable and pleasant to deal with and whatever I order is usually here (MA) in a few days!

mtgrs737
11-15-2008, 01:50 PM
I have the Midway heater, air cylinder, and the shovel handle and I like them all. If you go with the Lyman heater you should get a heat control either by buying the Harbor Freight one or making one from a dimmer switch from the hardware store as the Lyman gets too hot for the simi-soft lubes I use in a cold basement. I really like the air cylinder because I kept over or under pressuring the hand tightning of the spring type original equipment style that came on the star and adding lube is much easier. A word of caution about melting and adding your lube to the resevoir as a hot liquid: Make double sure it has cooled enough to solidify completely BEFORE you install the plunger or you will squirt hot liquid lube out the vent hole in the back side of the tube! Ask me how I know!!! It is a real mess but I am thankful it is in the back side of the tube and not the front! LOL! The shovel handle is another nice upgrade, it makes the fatigue of long sizing runs less, I recommend it.

wheelgunner
11-15-2008, 01:57 PM
Hey mtgrs737, I see you use a rubber band to hold the handle up, I use a bungee. Should we tell the new users of Stars why we do this or let them find out for themselves (Ouch, another forehead ding!)

McLintock
11-15-2008, 02:00 PM
I really like the air cylinder. I was getting bad nose streaking of lube on my .44's and even worse on .32's, with a soft back powder type lube. I adjusted bullet placement up and down, plugged and unplugged die holes and tried everything I could think of. The air cylinder cured it all and just works great and as said, it's easier to fill with lube now on top of the benefit of curing the nose streaking.
McLintock

kirb
11-15-2008, 03:40 PM
what comes with the Air Feed for the Bullet Lube (60 psi air pressure required) and how hard is to set up for the $100.00 price tag. I have 2 stars and would like to try the air on one of them.

Kirb

WildmanJack
11-15-2008, 04:09 PM
what comes with the Air Feed for the Bullet Lube (60 psi air pressure required) and how hard is to set up for the $100.00 price tag. I have 2 stars and would like to try the air on one of them.

Kirb

I put one on my Star and to be honest it was a piece of cake. The hardest thing was getting the old washer off the piston. Otherwise it's a snap..
Good Luck,
Jack

:drinks:

ddeaton
11-15-2008, 08:54 PM
Thanks for all the tips guys. I guess I might as well go for the whistles and bells. I got some recomendations on lube, but where do you purchase it from?

ddeaton
11-15-2008, 09:19 PM
Also, I tried to order online tonight and no place to enter the options. I guess I better wait till Monday and call

hammerhead357
11-16-2008, 12:14 AM
I will add my thoughts to this as I have before. I think that if you are going to buy any one accessory it should be a bullet feeder. This will keep your fingers out of the die and away from the base pucch. I have related here before how much it cost 20 years ago to have a thumb repaired by a plasic surgeon. Not my thumb but, I know what it cost then....Wes

wheelgunner
11-16-2008, 12:17 AM
I've been using the carnuba lube from White Label, works great and at $1.60 a stick in a re-saleable tube or $1.35 in a plastic bag, you can't beat the price.

http://www.lsstuff.com/lube/index.html

He has other compounds including NRA and 50/50 mixes, all at great prices.

BTW, I have no connection to White Label other than being a satisfied customer!

cajun shooter
11-16-2008, 12:29 AM
The shovel handle and air are both must haves! Also you will need large rubber band to hold up handle as already stated above. Ask them why; I bet we all had the same problem. The White Label lubes also, I just finished placing my second order this week. I use the BAC for all low velocity and carnuba red for the others also The BPCR for black powder cartridge.

McLintock
11-16-2008, 02:06 PM
I've got the bullet feeder, but took it off when I was having so much trouble with lube streaking. Now that's solved I'll put it back on. Get some extra tubes or make them yourself. If I remember correctly, I think you can get about 70 to 80 44 200 gr'ers per tube and load up 200-250 bullets in 3 tubes and go like hell if you're in a hurry.
McLintock

mtgrs737
11-16-2008, 02:53 PM
The Star lubers are the best lubers on the market, the upgrades make them even better IMHO. Other than the heater which is a must for a cold basement I like the air cylinder the best.

Springfield
11-16-2008, 03:05 PM
Another tip, I took a piece of leather and a hose clamp and sealed off the rear vent tube on the lube chamber. Now I can use 6" sticks instead of 4" sticks, a 50% increase. When you are sizing lots of Big Lube(tm) bullets it saves you time. As for pressure, I suppose if you are lubing regular tiny lube groove bullets 60 lbs is fine, but I find I run out all the time with that setting, so I run about 115 lbs. A PRS 45 cal Big Lube(tm) bullet sucks the lube, I can only do about 300 per 4" stick.

EDK
11-16-2008, 09:44 PM
Thanks for all the tips guys. I guess I might as well go for the whistles and bells. I got some recomendations on lube, but where do you purchase it from?

Like the man said, "get white label lubes from Lars." Get it in the baggies and save a-quarter-a-stick and buy the largest amount he can ship in a flat rate box or envelope. It don't eat and will keep roughly forever. I recently found some GAR 50/50 lube dating back to the early 90s.

I like 50/50. but B-A-C or carnuba or 2700 also work well. Start with 50/50 first and then try the others when you're comfortable with the STAR. Read all the posts and make the learning curve more comfortable.

:redneck::cbpour::Fire:

ddeaton
11-17-2008, 11:07 AM
Like the man said, "get white label lubes from Lars." Get it in the baggies and save a-quarter-a-stick and buy the largest amount he can ship in a flat rate box or envelope. It don't eat and will keep roughly forever. I recently found some GAR 50/50 lube dating back to the early 90s.

I like 50/50. but B-A-C or carnuba or 2700 also work well. Start with 50/50 first and then try the others when you're comfortable with the STAR. Read all the posts and make the learning curve more comfortable.

Got the lube ordered - 50/50
Thanks guys

ddeaton
11-17-2008, 11:21 AM
Got the sizer ordered also, you guys are bad for me!
Now let me get this straight, I shouldnt need to use the heater for the 50/50?

McLintock
11-17-2008, 05:56 PM
Damn, Springfield, that's a good idea on plugging the vent hole on the lube resivour, didn't know you could do that. I fill mine with liquid lube that's been melted in the microwave, so I start plumb full, but that would make it go even farther. I lube Big Lube .44's and only use about 70 lbs of pressure and it works great, and about 50 for .32's. I thought that hole was only for making a mess when I forget it's there and am trying to pour it really full.
McLintock

lawboy
11-17-2008, 07:26 PM
I have two star machines i never even us. I have three Lyman 450s I use all the time. Go figure. The Lymans just seem like less hassle to me for some reason, even though the stars are clearly faster ... i am retarded! :???:

No_1
11-17-2008, 07:41 PM
You are only retarted if you do not offer to sell them to me at a serious cut rate price :kidding:

Robert

I have two star machines i never even us. I have three Lyman 450s I use all the time. Go figure. The Lymans just seem like less hassle to me for some reason, even though the stars are clearly faster ... i am retarded! :???:

ddeaton
11-17-2008, 09:20 PM
You are only retarted if you do not offer to sell them to me at a serious cut rate price :kidding:

Robert

wait just a minute here, this is my thread!:)

ddeaton
11-18-2008, 10:09 AM

I probably should start a new thread for this, and will if I need to. Here goes - The boolits I have been buying and loading for my 45's have a blue lube on them. It doesnt seem to be very hard and gums up the seater die over time. If I dont keep an eye on it, the boolits will seat shorter over time. Not too big an issue and I can deal with that. The problem I dont like is the lube which builds up on the ogive after seating. This, if not cleaned up will sometimes not allow the ammo to chamber and create jams. :roll: Should I bell the case mouth more to prevent this, or think about harder lube when I start making my own. I havent started casting yet, and will be using me Star when I get it. I understand the ease of use of the 50/50, but are these some of the negatives? It is a pain in the rear to clean every reloaded round that comes off the Dillon

mtgrs737
11-18-2008, 10:59 AM
If you want lube that is not so sticky or soft you can adjust the lube. I use Lar's BAC and add a 3/8" slice of Carnuba Red to each solid stick of BAC and then melt it in a Second hand store sauce pan to mix it then pour it in the Star. I get a lube that is just slightly firmer and does not stick to everything it touches. I still consider it a soft lube which I like for pistol boolits. I run a little heat to help it flow easy in the cool basement I size in. I buy solid sticks in bulk from Lar's but am thinking of mixing up my own Speed Green just for fun. If you melt your lube and pour it in the lubersizer you don't have the air bubbles that you can get with the sticks. If you make your own lube you don't need to mould the sticks in the first place just cast it in a bread loaf pan and shave or cut off a chunk, melt it and pour it in the lubersizer. Another aid I have found to be helpful is to make a funnel out of a two liter pop bottle, it fits perfectly, it's easy to make and cheap, and you toss it in the trash when you are done with it as cleaning it up would be a chore.

cbrick
11-22-2008, 10:58 AM
I've been using my Star for something like 25 years now and love it. It does size more concentrically than the RCBS or SAECO and it’s faster.

For a heater I use a 40W bulb in winter and thought the air pressure would probably be good “IF” I was doing huge numbers of bullets at a sitting but I don’t, maybe 200-300 at a time. Every few bullets I’d give the handle a twist and continue sizing.

Last week while browsing the Magma web site I saw the air feed cylinder and thought what the heck, be a fun toy to play with. It arrived yesterday and now I have only two questions . . .

1> What was I thinking?
2> Why didn’t I get one of these things years ago?

I had a Midway heater stowed away and mounted it even though the temp was in the upper 70’s. Set up the Star with a 7mm die and played around with heat setting and air pressure. The first 20 or so bullets came out pretty messy until I got the heat/pressure adjusted correctly (initially I had too much heat and too much air pressure) and then WOW, I couldn’t feed bullets in fast enough and every single one was completely clean without a spot of lube anywhere except the lube groove. I went through 300 7mm’s and switched to 357, that was too fast so I did some 44's then 308's. Now I need to cast so I can play with my new toy some more.

With just enough heat to soften the LBT Blue a bit 70 psi did the 7’s and the 308’s, larger lube grooves on the 38’s and 44’s and it took 80 psi to keep the lube flowing perfectly.

I have always recommended the Star but only recommended the air cylinder to those that would be doing high volume. Was I ever wrong, it turned a great machine into a far superior, easier and even faster machine.

Rick

ddeaton
11-22-2008, 11:34 AM
Thanks Rick, good stuff
I am waiting on my Star now, hope it comes soon. She said they were at the end of a production run and it might be a couple weeks.

FN in MT
11-23-2008, 12:49 AM
They just finished a run of lubers as mine arrived about a week ago. I waited about three weeks or maybe a few days less, from the day I ordered.

I bought the STAR heater, and a single die and punch. Bought my other dies from Lathesmith and just got a big envelope of lube from the nice folks at White Label. FAR cheaper than anywhere else.

They are beautiful machines. Worth the price and any wait.

FN in MT

Jon K
11-23-2008, 02:54 AM
Rick,

How much volume of air does it consume? Can it be run on an air storage tank, i.e. like NAPA or Sears?

Jon

ddeaton
11-23-2008, 09:37 AM
I think I read a post about that. And I think the answer is yes. I am curious also, as I might use one if they last a while. I would rather not have the noise in the basement of a compressor.

No_1
11-23-2008, 10:39 AM
If you do not want the size, power requirements / wiring issues or noise of a large compressor, consider getting one of the small units such as this (http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00916613000P) for $99.00
OR for $10 more you can get this unit (http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00915312000P?mv=rr) which give some accessories. I do not think the air needs of the Star pressure unit will exceed the capacity of this unit and with a "t" you can have a air nozzle attached for bench work. The cost of a air tank will probobly meet at least 1/2 the cost of this unit and you will not run out of air in the middle of the process like you might with a portable air tank.

Robert

cbrick
11-23-2008, 12:30 PM
The volume of air is almost nothing to run the unit but mine leaks down slowly, the compressor started up 3 or 4 times while I was sizing boolits. I was going to use a storage tank myself but glad I didn't spend the money on that now.

I bought this compressor that was on sale at Sears. http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00916636000P?mv=rr

I paid $149.00 for it but I see now that the sale is over and it's $199.00.

Rick

GSM
11-24-2008, 01:58 PM
Hey mtgrs737, I see you use a rubber band to hold the handle up, I use a bungee. Should we tell the new users of Stars why we do this or let them find out for themselves (Ouch, another forehead ding!)

So that's what the rubberband is for. Although, a good forehead ding does keep a person on their toes.

ddeaton
11-25-2008, 03:20 PM
It shipped Fri last week!! I should have it Weds

johnho
11-30-2008, 04:38 PM
I run mine with a small air tank and it lasts a LONG time. I got it at Home Depot and it's a Husky. I didn't see it last trip to Home Depot however. To fill it up to max pressure of about 120psi go to a truck stop for higher pressure than a gas station. I could not get much over 50 or 60 psi at the local gas station. The only loss of air is when you take off the plunger to add another stick of lube. Consumption is extremely minimal.

ddeaton
12-01-2008, 07:04 PM
I got my box today!! Cant wait to get it set up. Question though, should I set it up bare bones first and run it, then add the accessories later? Any good threads on setting these things up? The directions are kinda simple.

perry shooter
12-08-2008, 12:10 AM
Hello I am new to this sight but I have loaded and shot over 300,000 rounds of lead bullets in N.R.A. 2700 type matches in the last 35+ years I have done extensive testing with Ransom rest . I find that even soft SWAGED bullets shoot great groups and do not lead IF they are proper size "not undersized" and you use standard semi soft lube . The lube must seal the bore to stop gas cutting Soft is better then hard .IMHO hard is used by the bullet sellers because it does not come out during packing and shipping However if you size your own then no need for heater and hard lube. I used to buy 100,000 at a time for my state team and every one got what they needed I ordered direct from STAR BULLETS "UNLUBED" and we all used star lubers. perry shooter 1972-2005.

Forester
12-13-2008, 05:21 PM
I first bought a RCBS sizer, but casting for me was a way to save some money over the 20,000 .45 LSWCs I was buying every year. And the RCBS was going to take way to much time to do that.

I first bought a Star with the Air pressure attachment. I bought it because the part I hated most about the RCBS was the lube pressure setup. I know the Star is better, but it still operates on a similar concept. I am very happy with that accessory.

I talked really nice to Santa one year and he brought me a bullet feeder and heated base. I always thought this was a good machine, when I got these things setup it turned into a Great one! The boolit feeder speeds the process greatly and gets your fingers out of the way. The heated base works great with hard lubes and having a thermostat is the only way to go.

With all the add ons this thing is worth more than my Dillon, but well worth it for how I use it.

I use Magma's hard lube and like it quite a bit. I like the hard lube because I cast 20 or so thousand bullets in the winter and size them all over a couple of weeks time. The hard lube holds up well in storage and for my purposes works like a charm. I get virtually no leading in .45ACPs, and .38 specials with account for 90% of my cast bullet shooting. I use cast for practice ammo for USPSA and IDPA shooting. If I am giving up some small amount of accuracy using a hard lube then it does not matter for my uses. Magma's lube is also cheap which helps too.