PDA

View Full Version : Want To Build A 9 mm 1911

fourarmed
01-24-2020, 07:04 PM
Has anyone used the 9mm barrel and slide that Sarco sells for $200? I came into a Caspian frame with a Ciener .22 conversion on it, and I want to make it into a 9mm.

Der Gebirgsjager
01-24-2020, 10:39 PM
I have not, but don't know why it wouldn't work. Like any caliber swap using diverse parts, you can expect to do some tinkering to get everything to work exactly right.

Rich/WIS
01-25-2020, 12:18 PM
Think the 9mm uses a different ejector, not a big deal to change. Check the specs for the conversion kit, fit and function may be an issue if not a 45 ejector.

John Taylor
01-25-2020, 11:44 PM
Also need a different slide for the smaller rim size.

Green Frog
01-26-2020, 09:54 AM
Unless the Caspian frame was somehow modified for the Ciener conversion, the biggest change you MIGHT have to make is the ejector, which is held to the top of the frame by a cross pin (both visible when the slide is removed. There are some specially marked slide stops from Colt for the 45, the 38 Super, and the 22 conversion, but I've never been able to see any difference in them... regardless, if ordering from Sarco, I would get the complete slide with all internals, the ejector, the slide stop, and of course a couple of 9 mm magazines. It should be a straightforward conversion, assuming the frame is unaltered.

Froggie

wapiti22
01-26-2020, 03:13 PM
You will also need a 9MM slide release. I built one a few years ago using a Fusion frame and slide, and various parts from different makers. It's a sweet shooter and very accurate.

smithnframe
01-26-2020, 04:38 PM
It should be against the law!

fourarmed
01-27-2020, 01:21 AM
Thanks, guys. I don't have the gun yet, so I don't know if there is an ejector on the frame. The Colt conversion unit had its own, and I assume the Ciener does too. The Sarco set comes with a 9mm ejector. Not sure about the slide stop.

The thing I would really like to know is the quality of the Sarco parts, and what sort of accuracy I could expect from them. I assume it is probably a drop-in unit.

Greg S
01-27-2020, 03:22 AM
You'll need the provided 9mm ejector, a 9mm extractor and generally, the smaller call use a small diameter firing g pin. Depending on the ciener kit or your frame build, you'll also need a 9mm slide stop otherwise the slide will not lock open on the last round.

9mm's can be a fickle basted to get to run without choking. Good luck.

wv109323
02-01-2020, 07:41 PM
The 9mm frame also has a different angle on the feed ramp. Some use the .45 frame but there can be feed problems. You may be ahead just to buy a 9mm.

Mk42gunner
02-01-2020, 09:46 PM
The one time I built a 9mm top end for a 1911, I used a Springfield Armory slide that a coworker gave me after it had been butchered trying to install a Bomar sight. A GI fixed rear still fit okay so I invested in a SA 9mm barrel and a few 9mm mags then raided the parts bins for the rest.

I used it mainly on a Colt Delta Elite frame, lots of fun for very little cash outlay. Generic 9mm ball from steel framed 1911 doesn't recoil much more than the proverbial .22.

Robert

Green Frog
02-04-2020, 10:58 AM
Sarco doesn't manufacture their parts... they are surplus and over runs from a variety of sources. This said, the quality can vary tremendously depending on the actual source. NOS parts from the original manufacturer would be great, while rejects from the same source or parts from some one-horse, shade tree operation, not so much. It's a crapshoot, unless they specify the manufacturer.

Froggie

fourarmed
02-23-2020, 05:24 PM
I have the frame in hand now, and it is pretty nice, with a lot of premium parts on it. My problem now is, when I went to order the upper end parts, Sarco mentions that they now ship it with a ramped barrel. I am almost 100% certain that this would require milling out a section of the feed ramp, which I most emphatically do not want to do. I have sent them a couple of emails, but they apparently do not spend much time on that, as they have not replied. I tried to fall back on plan B, but Brownells don't sell such a matched set. Now I just have to figure out what plan C is.

skeettx
02-23-2020, 07:39 PM
I have their 6" 9mm Luger NON-Ramped 1911 barrel on my LLama Especial 38 Super.
I did have to use a 45 ACP Barrel bushing.
Shoots GREAT

Get this one and trim it back if you want to :)

https://www.sarcoinc.com/1911-9mm-barrel-6/

or use the 5" one

https://www.sarcoinc.com/1911-9mm-barrel-5/

Mike

fourarmed
03-08-2020, 12:04 PM
I finally heard from SARCO. They say they will get some standard barrels, which will be an option with the slide and parts, but not just yet.

I have worked on the receiver. I had to peen the safety lug, as the hammer would fall if the trigger was pulled with the safety engaged. Now it passes all the usual tests. I flattened and stippled the arched MSH and dehorned it in a couple of places. I shot it some with the .22 conversion, and it works fine with high velocity ammo. It is no match pistol, but it may shoot a little better than my Colt conversion unit. It came with some Colt magazines, but they don't work with it.

wapiti22
03-14-2020, 08:16 PM
I built my first 1911 from Sarco parts 30 some years ago. Including the frame and slide. I bought a few parts every payday until I had everything I needed. It shot fine.