PDA

View Full Version : Hi point 9mm

xbeeman412
01-24-2020, 11:23 AM
Looking to purchase one as they are Any owners here with a review?.

rockrat
01-24-2020, 12:38 PM
Not much of a review, but I bought a used one a little bit ago and it looked like it had been dragged behind a truck, hosed down and thrown under the truck seat. A much older model. Good bore though.
Took it to the range and shot a few mags worth at our 100yd gong, never a hiccup and never missed the gong. From the group size, it looked to be about minute of clay pigeon at 100yds. Open sights and me not really trying for a tight group.

Rcmaveric
01-24-2020, 12:40 PM
I have a 9mm and 380.

It will need some love. Take it apart and polish the small pieces. The design of the trigger there isnt much you can do for it. But getting the powder coat off and polishing the metal of the contact points will help a good bit. The trigger pull sucks.

By golly is it accurate and reliable. It will eat anything pretty accurately. It's a blow back design and heavy so recoil is mild even with heavy loads. An odd quirk of mine is the gun will jam with a full mag so I leave two less rounds in it and never have a problem. Oddly it's the only 9mm i could never lead.

Customer service is amazing too. I broke a firing pin some how and they sent me a new one quickly for free.

I carry it fishing all the time and hiking all the time. Its reliable and I trust it. Plus it only cost me 150 bucks so if I drop it off the side of a mountain or to the bottom of the ocean ot won't hurt to much. I want their carbine also.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Texas by God
01-24-2020, 12:47 PM
Reliability and accuracy are the two most important things any handgun should have. The Hi point has both. You won't find very many naysayers on this forum about them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-24-2020, 12:47 PM
They have real good customer service.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?378033-Hi-Point-customer-service&highlight=

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-24-2020, 12:54 PM
there is one drawback I found with my 40 Hi Point.
it has a short abrupt chamber, much like every other economy minded semi-auto pistol I've inspected, which works fine for jacketed bullets, but some castboolits suffer (FTF), especially CB's with RN or RF style noses. Once I started casting/loading a boolit with TC style nose, my 40 Hi Point was much happier and ammo chambered more reliably. Chamfering the throat is another option.

Conditor22
01-24-2020, 01:09 PM
The slide is not for someone with weak hands. Try racking the slide on one before you buy it.

xbeeman412
01-24-2020, 03:13 PM
Thanks, only bad part I hear is the slide is hard to rack....me with weak hands.

oldsalt444
01-24-2020, 03:29 PM
I'll be the outlier here. The case of "you get what you pay for" is applicable to the Hi Point. I don't own one, but I sold them when I worked at my LGS, and have seen my share at the range. Quality control is spotty. Some will function reliably without a hiccup. Some will jam every 3rd round. Some are fussy about ammo and some are not. If you're looking for a truck gun/beater/plinker, then yes. If you're looking for a reliable carry gun that your life may depend on, then definitely not. But for the price, it's a fun gun.

roverboy
01-24-2020, 05:25 PM
I've owned a C9 for a few months and its had about 300 rds. through it so far. Not missed a lick. With the original mag it does not want to feed first round with full mag. I have to bump the back of slide to feed 1st rd. but, after that no problems. I bought a 10 rd. mag. and it works like a champ. I think its a great little gun.

GhostHawk
01-24-2020, 10:14 PM
I'm a fan.

I did have an issue for a short time with one mag. Compared it to a mag that worjed right and the mag feed lip geometry was off. 5 min with a needle nose pliers fixed it.

I think it got dropped full and landed on the lips, angles were noticeably different.

Since then not a single problem.

For what it is and costs it works well. Considering the cost of some of the higher end Sig's, or Les Baer customs it is not a bad deal IMO.
Inexpensive, reliable, awesome customer service and priced so low anyone can afford one.

ACC
01-24-2020, 10:45 PM
I teach seasoned women who have never shot a handgun before, and a lot of them buy a hi-point. I have fired the 9 and .380 and they will take any round. Even cheap steel stuff. They are like the ugly step child at a family reunion. Best of all of them.

ACC

Silvercreek Farmer
01-25-2020, 01:13 AM
Only gun I have ever departed ways with. It was before my cast days but it wouldn't shoot Federal 9mm FMJ (plated?) for anything. It sprayed them tumbling towards the target. Shot great with Remington 9mm JHP, but my thumb engaged or partially engaged the safety with every shot. I probably could have trained around it, but why?

jonp
01-25-2020, 07:43 AM
I'm a big fan. I have several of the pistols and carbines. All work without a hitch with any ammo I put into them. Not the most accurate for sure but as a range plinker or a truck gun you don't mind getting dinged and beat up they can't be beat especially for the price. As others have said, the customer service is second to none.

I probably could have trained around it, but why?

That's a kinda odd statement. I have to train on any new gun I purchase, it's part of the package unless your buying something like a 1911. All are a little different either with the controls, grip angle etc.

Silvercreek Farmer
01-25-2020, 02:12 PM
Never had it happen with any other gun I've shot. No reason to adopt a funky grip for a Hipoint unless it was all I had. It wasn't. Not bashing Hipoint, they usually work fine, just didn't fit my hand for whatever reason. I still have my 9mm carbine.

I'm a big fan. I have several of the pistols and carbines. All work without a hitch with any ammo I put into them. Not the most accurate for sure but as a range plinker or a truck gun you don't mind getting dinged and beat up they can't be beat especially for the price. As others have said, the customer service is second to none.

I probably could have trained around it, but why?

That's a kinda odd statement. I have to train on any new gun I purchase, it's part of the package unless your buying something like a 1911. All are a little different either with the controls, grip angle etc.

BigAlofPa.
01-25-2020, 02:25 PM
I own 4 of their pistols and 4 of their carbines, Happy with them all. Im waiting on them to come out with a 10mm pistol.

GhostHawk
01-25-2020, 09:05 PM
Only gun I have ever departed ways with. It was before my cast days but it wouldn't shoot Federal 9mm FMJ (plated?) for anything. It sprayed them tumbling towards the target. Shot great with Remington 9mm JHP, but my thumb engaged or partially engaged the safety with every shot. I probably could have trained around it, but why?

Mine keyholes with federal ammo. But cast at .358 or .359 shoots great.

turtlezx
01-25-2020, 10:32 PM
ROCKRAT must have a huge gong at 100 yds never missed it

str8wal
01-26-2020, 02:15 PM
They run, and the company stands behind them. But with so many sub $200 pistols out there they no longer corner the market on the cheap guns.

roverboy
01-26-2020, 04:45 PM
I own 4 of their pistols and 4 of their carbines, Happy with them all. Im waiting on them to come out with a 10mm pistol.

Yeah, I'm surprised they haven't done that already with the 10mm. I'm waiting on the new Hi-Point too. It was supposed to be out last year........

jonp
01-26-2020, 06:54 PM
Never had it happen with any other gun I've shot. No reason to adopt a funky grip for a Hipoint unless it was all I had. It wasn't. Not bashing Hipoint, they usually work fine, just didn't fit my hand for whatever reason. I still have my 9mm carbine.

Some work for you and some don't. I dislike Glocks but for the majority of the world they are the bee's knee's. It is what it is. I think that the grip on my Hi-Points is quite the thing. Among the best I've had from any gun and I've had high dollar and Lorcin caliber stuff.

I'll say this. When I've needed service on a firearm the only companies I've called that put me through to an actual gunsmith on the floor were Hi-Point and Kahr, we talked about what was going on and they put me back to the customer service lady who sent the parts free of charge no questions asked.

Texas by God
01-26-2020, 09:13 PM
The slide racking problem wasn't hard to solve.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200127/e460bfa1cfd11615ca4c63a939ae8925.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

jrayborn
02-23-2020, 08:33 PM
They work and they are inexpensive. Good to have around if you don't mind ugly...