PDA

View Full Version : Powder Horns

WickedGoodOutdoors
11-14-2008, 10:23 AM
I just came accross a deal on some brand new 9" Powder Horns but would have to buy the whole lot of them to get them for $25 each.

Since I only need a couple horns would anyone else like to go in on a group buy? Your final cost would be $25 plus postage per horn

I want to order them soon so I can give one for Christmas

This is a sample photo of a few of them. I assume they are all unique and have various colorations

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa282/Newenglandcharters/300915614.jpg

freedom475
11-14-2008, 06:15 PM
Hi, I'm not sure but from the pic these horns look like the ones made in India.

Unless you can actually touch and look at the horns (pick out a good one)you are taking a gamble. The spout holes are usually not centered and the brass tacks used to fasten the plugs can sometimes split the horn. The ones that I had were not water tight to say the least.

You can usually pick these up for around $10 without looking too hard. So don't be fooled into haveing to by a hole bunch of them to get the $25 deal. The $20 ones come with a spring loaded brass spout.

Hope this helps

waksupi
11-14-2008, 10:54 PM
Those are either Mexican, or India made. They sell around here for 9-12 bucks.

If you just need a couple, go to Ebay. Probably find better quality, in the same price range.

mooman76
11-14-2008, 11:32 PM
I was going to say something but didn't want to rain on someones parade plus it's kind of hard to tell from a picture but I was thinking $25 was no kind of deal especially for a lot of them. You might want to consider a kit. They are cheaper and if you have the time it would mean more to whoever you were giving it to.

WickedGoodOutdoors
11-15-2008, 12:23 PM
I checked and they are Mexican. not worth a peso.

We dont get a lot of Steer Cattle in NewEngland so Horns are not on every corner like Dunkin Donuts.

If anyone needs a Sea Clam shell. Well those I can get by the zillions. Make great targets as they blast into a powder when you hit them.

Thanks for the advice. Ill keep looking for some nice American Horns.

Anybody have a Bull,,,,,I Have a hacksaw!

Capt Walt

http://media-2.web.britannica.com/eb-media/92/67592-004-DBA2C519.jpg

frontier gander
11-15-2008, 01:23 PM
try www.trackofthewolf.com and see if they have anything you like. I plan on buying a bison horn and making my own. I have one right now thats pictured above *Right bottom corner* and the first day i had it, the horn slip a 1/4 and allowed the stopper to fall out easily. I used JB Weld to reinforce it so it will work for now.

eka
11-15-2008, 03:22 PM
Depending on your needs, here are some less expensive horns and these guys have some other neat stuff too.

Black Bear Haversack Trading Post

http://www.black-bear-haversack.com/index.php/cPath/604?osCsid=bf7912184485688ac53f3cf7ab5ad862

Keith

mooman76
11-15-2008, 03:39 PM
Might try dixiegunworks. You can get the raw horns or polished ones, the parts or the whole kit.