PDA

View Full Version : Just got a new AR 15--Stag

frank_1947
11-14-2008, 10:01 AM
I feel like a kid a Christmas in just hours I will be shooting this gun, it is a Stag left handed, was I lucky to find one. it is a .223, 16 inch barrel.

Dealers are just about out of all ARs and double stack pistol mags are going fast, yesterday me and 2 other guys I shoot with picked up our new guns they bought 50 BMGs looking forward to shooting one of them, 80 loaded factory rounds $300 man that is high dollar shooting, both will reload for those cannons.

I guess the gun industry likes Obama taking over for a short time, will see if he does as Clinton did.

exile
11-14-2008, 10:16 AM
I am a lefty and I am jealous. The price and availability of left-handed rifles has kept me from buying one. I would love a Stag Arms lefty in 6.5 Grendel. My only left-handed rifle was a Savage law enforcement model in .223 with a heavy barrel. Accurate as can be, but had a trigger like a truck spring. Sold it to pay for a dishwasher. Wish I had it back. Let us know how it works out.

Exile

frank_1947
11-14-2008, 10:34 AM
Yes finding this was pure luck, I had a buddy of mine (FFL) ck on ordering one well 8 months $980 I got this Model 1L-A3 for are you ready and are you sitting down $780 , reason = lack of left handers he had it 3 months.

I will let you know how it shoots soon

rufracer
11-14-2008, 02:16 PM
btw.

A good place to get a lefty is from ALS in bullshoals AR, they can find anything, and the owner is left handed. I shot his lefty Styer Aug a while back. Strange feeling gun. I liked it though.

corvette8n
11-14-2008, 03:07 PM
I bought a LH Stag Arms upper about 6 months ago.

I aslo have two Savage 110's a .308 and a .338wm both LH
Gunbroker and Auction Arms has LH rifles for sale most of the time.

Triggerhappy
11-14-2008, 03:28 PM
I just ordered and got 3 new AR lowers for future builds. Figured now is the time. Price hadn't changed yet. So far....

Also ordered over a grand in powder.

frank_1947
11-14-2008, 05:34 PM
I shot it today raining like hell but my range has cover, we stopped at walmart put a cheap BSA $49 scope on it (not bad) and sited it in first 50 then 100 shot only 10 rounds and it is on the money at 50 that is good For USPSA, it is shooting about the same at 100 as it is 50

A bunch of guys I shoot with also been stocking up on lowers, brownells is out of mags, so I have one 30 and a 20 my gun builder guy (rick) gave me along with a compensator we put it on today also, if it slows down raining I will go in the back yard and shoot, I live in the country and can shoot right out my back door no one behind me as far as the eye can see and further.

Now I am thinking about buying a Keltech in a 9mm the same guy I got the AR from has one in the box new for $245 it is right handed but 9s are not so bad comin out, anyone know anything about that little rifle, I heard there pretty good for the money.

Did I tll you what I paid for my AR how about $780 he had it for 3 months no lefty in sight till I came along he was not letting me go with out that gun and I am glad of it, I went to Stag website that gun is $989

mike in co
11-15-2008, 04:09 AM
i have three lefty uppers comming in monday
a stripped 16" a3, a sighted 16" a3 and an a2 20" carry handle.
sold two more at the last gun show.
these should make it to the dec gun show........
i bought parts to make my own but there were out of ambi/lefty bbl extensions...

mike in co

frank_1947
11-15-2008, 09:13 AM
I just got email from NRA with a link to a PDF of Obamas plan I will paste Obamas plan in red and leave the link

Address Gun Violence in Cities: As president, Barack Obama would repeal the Tiahrt Amendment,
which restricts the ability of local law enforcement to access important gun trace information, and give
police officers across the nation the tools they need to solve gun crimes and fight the illegal arms trade.
Obama and Biden also favor commonsense measures that respect the Second Amendment rights of
gun owners, while keeping guns away from children and from criminals who shouldn't have them.
!ey support closing the gun show loophole and making guns in this country childproof. !ey also
support making the expired federal Assault Weapons Ban permanent, as such weapons belong on
foreign battlefields and not on our streets.
End Racial

http://www.nraila.org/pdfs/obamaurbanpolicy.pdf

frank_1947
11-15-2008, 09:20 AM
mike in co

would you email me to fjmcm1947@gmail.com

with your info a may be interested in awhile on a upper, I spent all I had saved for a AR the other day but I can start again.

frank_1947
11-15-2008, 09:31 AM
I will be leaving here in a hour for a Steel Challenge shoot with my 9mm open class gun ( I need a avatar with my guns) gotta learn how to do that, and take a few more shots with the AR.

Reading Obamas plan just upsets my whole friggen day, in 1966 I took a oath when I joined the USAF To protect the Constitution from both forein and DOMESTIC ENEMIES
I believe they are just that.

shotman
11-15-2008, 06:46 PM
guys you are in for a BIG BIG suprise you better get what you want BEFORE jan 20 and hide them rick

mike in co
11-15-2008, 08:29 PM
obommama...is good for the short term gun biz.
i worked a show today that i do not do in my normal schedule.
i took 45,000 primers and 8k 223 brass......i have no 223 brass left, and only 3k of primers.....
the sjow had 50% more sq ft than normal, and crowds from 9am- 4pm.

did a ton of business...$$$$
will leave the show at noon tommorrow...not much left to sell.

passed on a left hand t-bolt out of belgum....

mike in co

frank_1947
11-15-2008, 08:40 PM
mike whats your price on a case of small rifle primers Win or Fed

mike in co
11-16-2008, 02:06 AM
mike whats your price on a case of small rifle primers Win or Fed

i only do wolf.....too many other players in the old school primers.

wolf is trying to buy thier way into the market, and thier primers are under the others by a couple bucks per 1k.

shipping to me and then back to you with hazmat both ways would kill the price.

i buy in bulk, get the shipping split many ways....keeps my total cost down, pass it on.

mike in co

frank_1947
11-16-2008, 02:10 AM
Thanks Mike

Lloyd Smale
12-04-2008, 09:38 AM
your going to like it. Stag arms makes a good gun!

frank_1947
12-04-2008, 10:10 AM
Lloyd,

ManI love that gun, had a chance to shoot some rounds with it, with a 55gr Montana Gold behind 22grs. of H335 at 100 yards result were good.

I have a cheap red dot scope i bought for $50 from walmart but at 100 yards the dot covers a large area of the target but was still able to shoot a group the size of a quarter, I am really looking foward to putting a powr scope of some type on it like maybe a 4x14x44 not sure what power I want, I have even thought of 6x24x44 or 8x32x56 for varmit and just for the hell of it, any suggestions? I think once i do that I should be able to put them on top of each other, i was useing a 100 yard small bore rifle target I kept it got it in my loading room.

I wanted to load off my progressive press (Hornady) but no one has a 223 shell plate, but I used my 9x19 shell plate and went slow and was able to load them up that way.

GabbyM
12-04-2008, 12:31 PM
Double check from a chart but IIRC a 380 auto shares shell plates with the 223.

For your dot target try aligning the red dot at 6 o'clock to the spotter dot then clicking the elevation up to put your bullet in the bull. That's a 6 o'clock hold. Looks like an 8 in the view.

I like a Weaver 1 x 3 power on a light rifle. Leave it on 1 x and shoot with both eyes open.
For coyotes you've more scope at 3X than you have gun with the 223. Yotes are usually moving when you shoot and the large field of view on a low power scope will allow you to see your shot impact so you can walk in the rounds.

I save the 20 and 24 power scopes for my ten pound bolt guns. Leopould makes a nice 1 3/4 x 5 if you need to spend more money.

I mounted a 3x9 on my 20" AR once just because I had it around. The front objective was about half way down the barrel. The higher power doesn't help much unless you're on a bench rest and the scope goes dark at night.

frank_1947
12-04-2008, 12:43 PM
GabbyM,

Thanks for the great info there is only .002 difference between the 380 and the 223.

Info on scope thanks again