PDA

View Full Version : Something I never saw before

Bret4207
11-14-2008, 08:38 AM
Local dealer has a miniture 1911 Llama in 22 lr! Sucker looks exactly like a 1911 only amybe 1/2 to 2/3 the size. Not for sale yet and no clue if it's a shooter, but it sure was cool.

Mumblypeg
11-14-2008, 09:49 AM
I had forgotten about those. I remember seeing one about 30+ years ago. Can't remember if I shot it but do remember it being smaller than 1911 size.

Paul105
11-14-2008, 10:13 AM
Friend of mine bought one for his girlfriend back in the 60s -- it had the worst trigger pull I've ever felt on a handgun. We fiddled with the trigger but don't remember the results. Minute of a coffee can at 10 paces in the gravel pit.

I realize this was of no help, but it brought back some memories I had long forgotten.

Paul

HeavyMetal
11-14-2008, 10:20 AM
Seen them and have an eye open for one here in L.A.

Back when I shot IPSC a guy bought one to teach his kids how the 1911 worked. The full size 45 was way to big for 10 yr olds but the llama worked perfect and the controls were identical.

Triggers can be fixed, I never shot his but if the price is not out of line with a new Ruger I say buy it if it goes up for sale.

Pepe Ray
11-14-2008, 12:24 PM
[Wow! Finally ,
Yeah, they sure are neat. Unless you've got huge paws. I fell for them just as you have. Found 2 about a year apart. One is noticeably tighter and seems to have harder metal in the slide. They were of different issues, meaning you can tell that they didn't come off the same line but cosmetic only. The biggest gripe I have is the sights. They're not only tiny but not neatly dressed.
Strangely the roughest one is the one that shoots the best. I've made up some 8" plates to topple at the 25 yd. target. I've no trouble knocking those over with the one I keep loaded and handy. Frequently, the grass around my shooting bench gets tall and I hate to look for ACP's so exercising with the little LLama is much more relaxing.
Pepe Ray

Bent Ramrod
11-14-2008, 06:02 PM
About 30 years ago a coworker bought one of those Llama .22 pistols. Looked exactly like a miniature 1911, except with a ventilated sight ramp. He took it out a few times to shoot with us, and after 3-4 boxes of High-Speed long rifles the recess in the slide that caught the hold-open stud was showing noticeable peening and battering.

If you buy it, I would recommend Standard Velocity only.

9.3X62AL
11-14-2008, 06:57 PM
Llama made those critters in 22 LR, 32 ACP, and 380 ACP. They were also put up in locked-breech versions in 38 Super and 45 ACP.

Tell ya what I'm sorry they never made--that little Colt Government Model in 22 LR. I had the 380, and I'm sorry I ever unloaded that little thing. One of the few locked-breech 380s I've run across, and easily the most accurate 380 I've ever fired.

I'm a bit of a sucker for sub-caliber pistols like that little Llama, and I fell for one of the SIG Mosquitoes soon after they came out. It was initially a disappointment, but after 2K rounds or so it is starting to behave--as long as it gets fed Steak & Lobster Ammo (CCI Mini-Mags) and gets cleaned every 200 rounds. To put things kindly, Ruger 22 autopistols can really spoil ya.