PDA

View Full Version : Stevens Maynard jr

foesgth
01-19-2020, 04:53 PM
Well guys,

I admit I am powerless over old "boys guns". I found a Stevens Maynard jr and had to have the silly thing. It locks up tight and seems to be in good shape for a 100+ year old boys gun. My problem is that it has a broken firing pin. Here is a drawing of the workings of the rifle. (https://www.leeroysramblings.com/Gun%20parts%20illustrations/stevens_maynard_jr_illustrated.html) The firing pin look to be similar to the pins used in other Stevens rifles and also the tip up pistols. I have found several online vendors who sell the pins for old Stevens however none of them give the dimensions. Any of you fine folks know where I can get a new firing pin?

modified5
01-19-2020, 11:26 PM
It looks like a pretty simple firing pin. Do you have the ability to make one?

elmacgyver0
01-19-2020, 11:40 PM
That firing pin is so simple you can make one with a file and a drill press, or even a hand drill held in a vice.

uscra112
01-29-2020, 12:44 AM
I feel yer pain. Got near 2 dozen boys' rifles now, but no Maynard Junior, (yet). Do you have the stub of the old one? It's possible to drill into it and install a bit of a drill shank or music wire to repair it.

Jedman
01-29-2020, 08:24 AM
What he said ^^^^^^^^^. I once had a Stevens side lever Crackshot that I made a firing pin for from a drill bit and a dremel grinder ,the drill bit chucked upside down in a drill press and dremel hand held .

Jedman

foesgth
01-29-2020, 04:05 PM
I guess I'm going to make one. I'm in the middle of redoing the kitchen and the job boss (swmbo) doesn't want to give me any time off!