PDA

View Full Version : 32 S&W long, A Cult Following ?

Petrol & Powder
01-18-2020, 09:43 AM
When did this happen?
I played with the 32 S&W long and 32 H&R mag years ago but got out of that game. A friend of mine recently inherited a pristine S&W model 30 and I started noticing S&W models 30 and 31 again.
Holy Smokes ! People are asking insane prices for those guns even when they are in in pitiful condition.

When did the 32 DA revolvers get a cult following ? It reminds me of the 44 Special cult following.

Thanks to Ruger, we have new DA revolvers chambered in 32 and 44 calibers that don't require a second mortgage.

Brand new Ruger SP101's chambered in 327 Federal Mag are selling for less than pitiful looking S&W's chambered in 32 S&W Long.

Outpost75
01-18-2020, 11:57 AM
The Obama .22 ammunition scarcity really drove demand and the cost of used .32 revolvers up. Many of us in the rural south have been using heirloom revolvers for generations, but the supply of nicely turned out pre-WW2 revolvers was finite and supply and demand is what it is. The postwar Colt D-frame and S&W I- and J-frames have also appreciated.

Petrol & Powder
01-18-2020, 12:40 PM
It's shocking how much they go for now and I'm talking about prices they sell for, not just asking price.

As much as I would like to get back into that segment of revolver shooting, I don't think I can justify the cost.

The new Ruger SP101 with a 4" barrel and chambered in 327 Federal is running around $625 and that's starting to look like a good price.

Outpost75
01-18-2020, 12:50 PM
Recent SP101s I've examined needed work and had minor defects which wouldn't have been allowed to ship when I worked for the company. Inspect any new gun carefully! Old guns that work are worth more than new guns that don't.

Petrol & Powder
01-18-2020, 12:59 PM
I'm with you !

EMC45
01-18-2020, 06:24 PM
My favorite

35remington
01-18-2020, 09:11 PM
I was fortunate to get my Regulation Police and Police Positive when I did. Of the two I like the Colt better as it is somewhat more tolerant of varied bullet types. Now I have to fix the fact that it shoots considerably left at fifty yards but I will get there.

I just don’t have enough use for a really loud 32 that I want some hotted up version. I wish I could get a decent adjustable sighted four inch 32 Long Smith or Colt of new make minus any Hillary hole.

Mk42gunner
01-18-2020, 09:12 PM
... Inspect any new gun carefully! Old guns that work are worth more than new guns that don't.
Very true statement.

GhostHawk
01-18-2020, 10:35 PM
YES!

Mine started with a 120$ H&R 732 2.5" barrel dbl action in .32sw long.

Shoots more like a .22lr than anything else. My hands and wrists love it, AND IT FRICKIN SHOOTS!

So that led to a desire for one with better sights and a longer barrel. Enter a Ruger NM single six in .32H&R mag that has only ever shot
.32sw long. The word that best describes its shooting is "laser", or "IT FRICKIN SHOOTS!"

And that led to the desire for a semi-auto. Enter the Beretta model 81 in .32acp. AND IT FRICKIN SHOOTS TOO!

Yes, its a cult. Probably the ol fart cult. And yes I am a proud member.

putnro01
01-19-2020, 12:38 AM
I suppose my love affair with the 32 SWL started when my subscription to the Cast Bullet Journal kicked in circa 2015 or so. Some fella going by the name of Ed Harris (a nom de plume if I've ever heard one) can't seem to go a month or two without kickin' up dust about this little cartridge. Prior to that, the .327 had my interest, primarily because the guns that shot it were Rugers (my favorite). I hadn't picked one up until this year, mostly b/c I wanted to run .32 SWL through it.

But Ed had some logic to his tales from the back creek. I spend a lot of time chasing varmints out of my corn crib (yep, still pick ear corn in SE Iowa, we haven't all converted to modern tech), and a single six pushing a .22 has done the trick for many years. But my father's eyes are getting tired so he needs a larger bullet to make up for that "margin or error". A nice slow .32 with a wide meplat in a handy sized revolver just about sounds perfect to our needs. It'll knock out raccoons and not travel on through the tin shed (well, not too far at least). So we picked up a few this year in all the popular chamberings (.32 SWL, .32 ACP, .32 HR, .327 fed). The latest issue of the CBA journal had an article on the Beretta 81 (32 ACP), that article cost me a few dollars.

So what do I need now? I'd love a set of 310 dies to load these little rounds. And an SP101 sounds handy too. What prices are you seeing on the models 30 and 31? Oh shoot, how could I forget, a rook rifle, or at least a handy single shot in that caliber. (I'm secretly hoping that Ed reads this, decides he needs to part with his bunny buster to build funds for the Bodacious Bunny Buster, and sells me his.)

So why are folks jumping on the .32 bandwagon? I'd love to say good writers and smart shooters. I'm not sure the true cause, but I like that .32s are seemingly gaining traffic and traction. Hope the manufacturers of arms and ammunition catch on.

Ooh, .44 special now there's a round...
Yeah, I've had the .44 special kool-aid too.

35remington
01-19-2020, 12:57 AM
Just be aware that the 32 will easily outpenetrate a 22 on critters. Maybe not such good news for your tin shed!

putnro01
01-19-2020, 01:02 AM
Seems it'll pierce through hyperbole for sure!

Thundarstick
01-19-2020, 06:22 AM
I use to load a dead soft 100gr Hornady sweagged target bullet over a minute amount of red dot for plinking and close in varmints. If I remember correctly it was running about 800fps, push it harder and you where scraping lead, but you could turn the hollow base to the front and make a real dumdum round.
Every revolver I have is a 327 now days, but I still do light loads in 32H&R cases for my wife.

trapper9260
01-19-2020, 07:00 AM
When the 327 BH first came out I got one thinking that one might need to use it for the trap line if anything where to not work for the 22lr supply I love that gun and also for all I can shoot in it. then I got a handi rifle made for the 327 and now got a SP101 4" one . It all works for me now. Like was stated for when zero was in office is when it change things on the 32 .

Mk42gunner
01-19-2020, 08:53 PM
The Ruger SSM's are very accurate, wish I had bought several when they were still in production and affordable. The S&W I frames are sweethearts, but so small I will not push them hard.

In the "I really wish I had some sense when they were making them" dept is the S&W Model 16 in .32 H&R Mag.

I would like but cannot afford either a Pardini or IIRC Walther .32S&W Long semi auto.

Robert

gpidaho
01-19-2020, 09:02 PM
32 S&W long is a fun plinking round. Easy to load and very economical as to powder and lead. Gp

GhostHawk
01-19-2020, 09:48 PM
I'm running 90 gr cast which means 77 cast boolets for my pound of lead around a dollar. Just 2 gr of Red Dot. 3500 loads per pound really stretches the dollar. Primers are the biggest expense, brings total right about a nickle each. Hard to beat.

Earlwb
01-19-2020, 11:24 PM
I think the .32 SWLwound up being popular during the ammo shortages in the past. You could reload them but you couldn't reload .22 rimfires though. I think that they are quite fun to shoot. Heck I used a .32 revolver many years ago as a teenager for small game hunting too.

Larry Gibson
01-20-2020, 08:56 AM
While I occasionally shoot 32 S&WLs in my 32 H&Rs [original run Ruger SS and 10" Contender] I mostly shoot 32 H&R reloads through those. The 32 S&WLs I shoot mostly in my M31 S&W chambered in 32 S&WL. It is a sweet gun to pack when fishing and hunting and most often is the revolver I carry these days when also packing a rifle. It is very accurate, fun and easy to shoot, economical to reload for and I have potted a few small game for the pot with it too. I have a 6 cavity TL314-90-SWC mould so I mostly use that bullet over Bullseye.

Green Frog
01-20-2020, 09:59 AM
Why in the world would anyone want such a small diameter, puny round when 50 caliber super blasters are out there? Are you people crazy? Just send all those 32s to me for proper disposal so you can make room for more of those real he-man guns! :kidding::kidding::kidding::kidding:

Froggie

murf205
01-20-2020, 10:14 AM
Yep, the 32 long is one of the "funest " revolvers ever made, glad I bought mine when they were orphans. My son just bought a S&W 32 L Hand Ejector that has a beautiful re-nick job on it that is tight as a new one for $200, out the door of a local pawn shop. I has a slight bit of logo loss due to exuberant buffing but it is a super shooter. The 32's can still be had around here pretty reasonably but the 32/20's are getting close to model 19 prices if they are in good condition.

EMC45
01-20-2020, 11:30 AM
It is my favorite round to shoot. Very accurate and easy on the wallet. I have carried them for self defense in the past as well..

psweigle
01-20-2020, 11:32 AM
I sure am enjoying the 32 long. It's my absolute favorite plinking load.

Alferd Packer
01-25-2020, 05:50 PM
.32 S&W
Good one.

smkummer
02-01-2020, 07:21 PM
As long as one reloads, 32 revolver rounds sure are cheap. I used to have a 32 detective special that I referred to a ladies training gun. Then I realized casting a 105 grain 38 bullet and loading it at 700 FPS simulated 32 S&W long performance. I do shoot 32 revolver rounds into my 22 bullet stop with no issues, so that’s an advantage.

FergusonTO35
02-03-2020, 11:01 AM
The .32 S&W Long is a great round, would love to see it come back. I really the .32 S&W Long's bottom feeder cousin, the .32 Auto. I squirt 78 grain Accurate boolits at 850 fps out of my Kel-Tecs, basically duplicating it's performance in a very compact package.

JoeJames
02-03-2020, 11:29 AM
Why in the world would anyone want such a small diameter, puny round when 50 caliber super blasters are out there? Are you people crazy? Just send all those 32s to me for proper disposal so you can make room for more of those real he-man guns! :kidding::kidding::kidding::kidding:

FroggieWhen you get full up on those puny little ole revolvers in Virginia, send a few on to Arkansas. We'uns have the same problem here in Arkansas that y'all have with giant Grizzle Bears. That's what the 50 cal boomers are for ain't it? Seriously the 32S&W Long is one of the most fun, most accurate calibers I have found.

Green Frog
02-03-2020, 10:28 PM
Once I get my 4" barrel adjustable sighted kit gun built in 32 S&W L or H&R I should be able to let the others go on down the road... unless I come up with another project I just can't live without. :roll: Then you'll just have to wait a while longer! :mrgreen:

Froggie

JeffG
02-04-2020, 12:40 AM
Found a nice little I.N.I Tiger recently in 32 S&W Long. I already had an Accurate 31-087T that is perfect for it, as cast with LLA. The old used Lee dies work, neck sizing only. Got some Redding steel dies coming with a profile taper crimp die to do a better job.

9.3X62AL
02-04-2020, 12:40 AM
I have an abundance of what I call "mid-caliber" handguns, both rollers and sliders. The two most germane to this thread are my S&W Model 16-4 x 6" and a Ruger SP-101 x 4.2" in 327 Federal.

Both acquisitions are best thought of as "arranged marriages". I would have been perfectly happy with a 32 S&W Long Target Masterpiece or Officer's Model with 6" barrel, or a 4" Regulation Police or Police Positive in that same caliber. All of those are scarce and expensive, so I settled for "what worked" rather than waiting a lifetime for a Holy Grail.

It's funny how well some of those arranged marriages worked out back in The Old Days, and I must say I have been pleased with both of these revolvers. The S&W is--plainly stated--the most accurate revolver I have ever owned. It dotes upon the RCBS #32-98-SWC sized at .314" from 700-1200 FPS. Most of my loads run in the 900-950 FPS ballpark, kind of a "32 SWL +P". I use full-length 32 H&R Magnum brass in this one; I hate cleaning the crud out of chambers created by short cases in long chambers. Yeah, I know--First World Problem.

The SP-101 is a nice little Kit Gun On Steroids. Is it a pristine Police Positive? Nope--the D/A trigger stroke was god-awful when new, S/A isn't bad, and the D/A is starting to relax a bit. I have a Wolff spring kit for it, once I lose patience with the action's recalcitrance. It's not a Colt of a S&W--but a RegPol or PolPos can't manage 46K PSI loads either. There IS that. And like the Model 16, the RCBS bullets shoot very well at 900-1000 FPS and are not the eardrum drills that factory ammo has shown itself to be. Here again, I use 327 brass to keep chambers tidy.

JoeJames
02-04-2020, 10:11 AM
Once I get my 4" barrel adjustable sighted kit gun built in 32 S&W L or H&R I should be able to let the others go on down the road... unless I come up with another project I just can't live without. :roll: Then you'll just have to wait a while longer! :mrgreen:

FroggieLike mine, a Model 631.

Lloyd Smale
02-04-2020, 11:18 AM
ive had 32 Sws 32 mags 3220s and to be honest never saw what all the hoopla was about. Give me a good smith 15 in 38 special anyday over any 32. Brass is still everywhere even ammo is cheap. Ive got exactly one left a 32 mag single six 4 5/8s and I don't remember when the last time is shot it was. But id bet ive shot 10k of 38s specials since that 32 has seen the light of day.

Rodfac
02-09-2020, 10:52 AM
LLoyd....Keith always said that .32's were harder to get good grouping from, tougher to work up a good load etc. than any of the larger calibers....pretty much my experience as well...but lately I've been tinkering with .32 Long and .32 H&R in a pair of Ruger Single Sixes, a S&W M16-4, and a ~1920 Colt Police Positive with excellent results...surprised the heck out of me.

RCBS' 32-98 SWC & Accurate Mold's 31-100R both turned out excellent bullets...and as easy to cast as any .38 from my mold cabinet...every bit as accurate too. The Colt, in particular, has become my dog walker gun...20 oz. loaded...and recently accounted for a wayward opossum that was tangling with my pointer pup.

Just sayin' those .32's grow on you...especially the light weights like the Single Sixes & the early Colt/S&W's...giving pretty good smack with a LSWC...and, at 100 grains per bullet, you get a whole slew of them from a pound of wheel weights.

I've enjoyed your posts over the years, BTW...Best regards, Rod

Petrol & Powder
02-09-2020, 12:01 PM
Lloyd- I gave up on the 32 years ago for pretty much the reasons you speak of; 38 Special is just FAR, FAR more common.

However, now that I'm older, I'm remembering some of the attraction to the 32 S&W Long / 32 H&R Mag. There is a bit of a "fun factor" to those cartridges (particularly the 32 S&W Long). When I was playing with the 32's I wasn't casting and all of my bullets were "store bought". Now that I'm casting, I see the advantage of less lead per round in addition to the economical use of small powder charges.

I have no illusions about the performance of the 32 caliber cartridges. I'm never going to abandon the 38 Special, but if I find a revolver chambered in 32 at the right price, I think there may be room in the safe for it.

Bigslug
02-09-2020, 12:33 PM
Now that my thinking has evolved to where I kinda like the idea of the ROUND, I'm kinda wishing someone would make a GUN I'd like it in.

I can water down loads in .38 or .357 brass and not quibble over the extra couple grains of powder. The lead I use for that kind of load is nearly free so the savings there is "meh".

Thing is, most of the launch platforms seem to be .38-based, so you're really not getting smaller and lighter with the smaller round.

Now if someone were to make an upscaled Winchester 1890 pump gun in .32SWL, I might get slightly excited. . .

Outpost75
02-09-2020, 12:50 PM
Now that my thinking has evolved to where I kinda like the idea of the ROUND, I'm kinda wishing someone would make a GUN I'd like it in... Now if someone were to make an upscaled Winchester 1890 pump gun in .32SWL, I might get slightly excited. . .

Oh my! Or think how many .32 ACPs you could cram in an Assault Bunny Gun like that!

Patrick L
02-09-2020, 01:02 PM
Paul Kersey used a .32...

Bigslug
02-09-2020, 01:05 PM
Oh my! Or think how many .32 ACPs you could cram in an Assault Bunny Gun like that!

Well. . .here's the conundrum: That it will have a full-length magazine tube is a given. Do you shorten the barrel for convenience with a suppressor, or leave it long and let the chips fall?

Now heres a question for the more knowlegeable .32ers: is the semi-rimmed .32 auto shootable in .32 revolvers (or this hypothetical .32SWL Winchester) or is the headspacing nowhere close? The thing I love about the Winchester 1890(variants)/1906/62A is the ability to shoot all the lengths of .22 rimfire. That kind of plug-and-play in a reloadable .32 would be. . .entertaining. . .

Outpost75
02-09-2020, 01:55 PM
Well. . .here's the conundrum: That it will have a full-length magazine tube is a given. Do you shorten the barrel for convenience with a suppressor, or leave it long and let the chips fall?

Now heres a question for the more knowlegeable .32ers: is the semi-rimmed .32 auto shootable in .32 revolvers (or this hypothetical .32SWL Winchester) or is the headspacing nowhere close? The thing I love about the Winchester 1890(variants)/1906/62A is the ability to shoot all the lengths of .22 rimfire. That kind of plug-and-play in a reloadable .32 would be. . .entertaining. . .

Leave the barrel long and you probably don't need the suppressor. The .32 ACP rim is thinner, so headspacing isn't as positive, but with a properly fitted extractor which is under tension, it would probably hold the thinner rim against the boltface, but still have enough play to snap over the thicker .32 S&W and S&W Long rims.

Green Frog
02-10-2020, 01:26 PM
If you are a true believer in the Zen of the Thirty Two, no explanation is necessary; to the non-believer, no explanation is possible.

As for the little 32 ACP round, it exists in that Twilight Zone that is neither fully rimmed nor truly rimless, neither high pressure nor truly low pressure, neither hot enough to inspire hairy chested men nor mild enough to be able to be ignored by skilled shootists. This leaves the afficianado either wondering why he should own and shoot it or just ignoring the stats and enjoying the versatile little round. As soon as I get a round tuit I want to experiment with another high quality pistol chambered in 32 ACP by the likes of Browning or perhaps FEG. I really need another project to occupy my time. :roll:

Froggie

psweigle
02-10-2020, 03:28 PM
I've often thought about an old llama mini 1911 in 32 acp.

NoZombies
02-10-2020, 07:34 PM
Like most things that have a cult following, some people love them, and other folks just kind of shrug their shoulders and don't understand.

I'm in the former category, but most of my friends are in the later.

Cheeto303
02-10-2020, 09:31 PM

I have shot 32 ACP in my Ruger Single Six 6.5" bbl 32 H&R,Ruger Single Six 4.5"bbl 32 H&R w/Birdshead grip, S&W 30-1 32S&WL 3"bbl and 1928 Colt Police Positive 32 S&WL 6"bbl with no ill effects. Real pleasant. Of course my Walther PP 7.65 Browning is awesome. Amazingly accurate with the none existent sights.

GhostHawk
02-10-2020, 10:35 PM
I wondered about the .32acp, and wondered, and thought, and looked, and wondered some more. Then I saw where Classic Firearms was selling Italian trade in Beretta Model 81's for 209$. I ponied up the bucks, added 20$ for a good looking one. Got one that looked new. Took it to the range with factory ammo, was not hugely impressed but saw potential.

Bought some brass, cast up some boolits, loaded them over 2 grains of Red Dot. Dang if it did not put them all in one nice tight group right dead center where they belonged.

I don't wonder anymore. Shoots a lot like my .32sw long only twice as many bangs between reloads.
That is a win/win in my book. YMMV.

P Flados
02-11-2020, 01:25 AM
For my 4" SP-101, I home crafted a 2 cavity 55 gr NLG boolit mold. The boolits worked pretty good for light practice loads and I shot thousands of them.

Eventually I decided that I really did not like all the empty space in my 327 cases. Now I shoot a 98 gr PC coated NLG boolit over a medium stout charge of Unique in the gun.

For light load target practice, the 32 ACP case seemed to be near perfect for launching my little 55 gr economy special boolits.

I used a chunk of an old scrap 30 cal rifle barrel to make a short barrel stub tube for my Contender.

Then I found that my stash of 32 ACP range pickup brass had a big variations in rim dimensions. Most of the brass really did not fit in my available shell holders worth a darn.

I tried some S&W short brass. Them little things are just too short for me to easily handle while reloading.

So I fabbed up a decent size batch of 32 ACP length brass with rim dimensions closer the the S&W case. For me, this has become my favorite round for standing target practice. They load easy, and they shoot great with as low as 1.7 gr or as much as 2.5 gr of Titegroup. The 55 gr boolits cast easy, are easy to lube (BLL works fine) and I get a lot per pound.

Cheeto303
02-11-2020, 02:08 AM
Anybody ever try loading the 32 T/C Maxi Ball in a 32 S&WL or 32 H&R Mag? I thought it would be fun for the heck of it.
I also have the following molds:
RCBS 32-90-CM 2 Cavity
LEE 311-74-2R 1 Cavity
LEE 311-93-1R 2 Cavity
LEE 311-93-1R 1 Cavity
LEE TL314-90-SWC 2 Cavity
Last but not least an 32 S&W Ideal Tong Tool w/mold that casts beautiful boolits.

GhostHawk
02-11-2020, 08:46 AM
I have loaded 00 buckshot I cast, ran it through a .314 lee sizing die, lubed with BLL and loaded. Shoots fine single, or with a single #1 buck dropped in below it.

JoeJames
02-11-2020, 10:33 AM
Like most things that have a cult following, some people love them, and other folks just kind of shrug their shoulders and don't understand.

I'm in the former category, but most of my friends are in the later.Agreed. But most of my buddies are used to my shooting calibers like that. But when one of them does come across say a Webley in 38/200 I'm the one they turn to.

NoZombies
02-11-2020, 10:53 AM
Agreed. But most of my buddies are used to my shooting calibers like that. But when one of them does come across say a Webley in 38/200 I'm the one they turn to.

Indeed, since my local friends aren't a part of the cult, it means I get first dibs on the .32's and oddball stuff.

jrayborn
02-23-2020, 10:42 AM
The 32's that I own are all just FUN. I am always looking for another.