PDA

View Full Version : 270 Winchester Jacketed Bullets

Bazoo
01-18-2020, 12:05 AM
So my buddy got a Remington 7400 in 270 winchester caliber and we're thinking on reloading for it. He does not reload, so I'm going to get him started using my equipment.

The driving force for him is cost. My figuring shows, just under $7 a box using Bartlett 7383 surplus powder and speer hotcor bullets.

Will this powder cycle his action acceptably?

Other cheap powders I should consider?

Is there any cheaper bullets available for practice?

Thanks,

Bazoo

Rcmaveric
01-18-2020, 12:24 AM
I use 4064 in my 270 Win for Jacketed loads.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Cole440
01-18-2020, 01:10 AM
I use 4064 in my 270 Win for Jacketed loads.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I second 4064 as a great mid range powder for the large rifle calibers. As far as your specific load I am not of much help, sorry!

Winger Ed.
01-18-2020, 01:23 AM
For the difference of 6-7 cents or so each, I'd leave 'cheap' out of the equation and get what's best.
Make up for it by buying cheap beer or something.

In my Rem700, 4064 did good.
My favorite was 4350, slightly under max in the Nosler book, and their 150s.

Bazoo
01-18-2020, 02:31 AM
Cheap is the only reason he's willing to give it a shot. He's on the fence about loading. I finally convinced him it was worth trying and I want to give him the cheapest options, as well as the better options. Now, if he gets hooked on shooting more than just to sight in before hunting, he'll be more forthcoming with the ole checkbook.

Also his time is at a premium, so if he is only going to save a couple dollars a box he'll just shoot the occasional box of factory ammo.

I know 4064 is good stuff. 760 is about the cheapest commercial powder that's suitable according to my research, and I've included that option.

His only investment so far is a set of dies. I have everything else. He was given this rifle by some folks at his church after word got around he didn't have one. He deer hunted with a shotgun.

Todd N.
01-18-2020, 04:05 AM
Cheap is not going to be the final statement about the worth of this rifle. Like any gun, this may be one that shoots good with any powder you select. OTOH, it may be the most finicky thing you've loaded for in years. You have the background necessary to explain to your friend that sometimes you chase an excellent load and never find what the gun loves. Other times you land on THE load with your 1st or 2nd try.

I am one of the .270 fans here- I've owned several different ones and have 3 now. I always start with H4831, then try a little slower and a little faster powder. I have never owned or shot a .270 that didn't shoot good or better than good with H4831. I've gotten excellent results with IMR4350 too but it can be iffy depending on bullet weight. H4831 doesn't care what bullet you use.

Whatever you do, just keep it fun for the guy!

Good luck!

Thin Man
01-18-2020, 06:30 AM
Your 7400 will do nicely with 4064 powder. I like this powder for the daughter's 742 in 30'06. The medium burning rate will be kinder to your self-loader than will a slower powder like 4350 or 4831. When the Garand rifles were first being built and tested the gov't found these rifles generated bent operating rods from the slow powders loaded in G.I. 30'06 ammo, thus we got a designer powder titled 4895. Medium speed powder, no more bent operating rods, all went well. 4895 and 4064 are about the same burning rate, but 4064 shows an accuracy edge. Perhaps that is how it has become known as the "Camp Perry" powder.

Once you get hooked on the 270 caliber, buy a bolt action rifle and then a pound of H4831SC (short cut) powder. This powder meters nicely and gives me the best accuracy at top speed this caliber will provide. I like it and the deer hate it.

lightman
01-18-2020, 11:18 AM
Make up for it by buying cheap beer or something.

All of your suggestions were good until you got to this! That just ain't right! [smilie=l:

You can load over 100 270's with a pound of powder. I figure $3 for primers, $27 for a pound of powder and $30 for a box of bullets. So, lets say $60 per 100 cartridges or $12 per box of 20. Judicious shopping can beat those prices. I don't know what a box of 270"s sells for?

I would go with something that has been proven to be successful. 4064, 4831, ect. I probably would choose 4064 for an auto loader.

Elroy
01-18-2020, 11:27 AM
Check Midway for blems if you want to get a good deal on bullets.I agree with the others on the 4350 being good powder for the 270.I have used the Hybrid 100v as well as H414,which is the same as W760 it does not fill the case as well as stick .I use mag primers for all my 270 loads,but it is not necessary for stick.

Texas by God
01-18-2020, 11:35 AM
Never use slow burning powder in a gas gun. Shoot a “control” group with factory ammo first. If the reloads function correctly and group better; you got him hooked. The Remington autos are mainly used by people who only buy a box of ammo every few years IME. Good luck with it; I hope you create a monster!

Elroy
01-18-2020, 11:43 AM
Never use slow burning powder in a gas gun. Shoot a “control” group with factory ammo first. If the reloads function correctly and group better; you got him hooked. The Remington autos are mainly used by people who only buy a box of ammo every few years IME. Good luck with it; I hope you create a monster!

I forgot he was loading for a 7400.I have only loaded for bolts

Bazoo
01-18-2020, 01:56 PM
Thanks for the help. I'll choose a faster powder. I am considering trying 7383 powder for my 30-06 but it's a bolt gun.

A box of 270 in town is $17. I'm figuring about $11 with 760 powder. We arent into drinking, so we're already at max savings in that department.

MT Gianni
01-18-2020, 02:55 PM
A deer hunting rifle might be shot 5 times a year if you go with a 3 shot zero verification. If he isn't currently a target shooter a Rem 7400 will not turn him into one.

Elroy
01-18-2020, 03:17 PM
Thanks for the help. I'll choose a faster powder. I am considering trying 7383 powder for my 30-06 but it's a bolt gun.

A box of 270 in town is $17. I'm figuring about $11 with 760 powder. We arent into drinking, so we're already at max savings in that department.

760/414 is still about as slow as 4350,and while it may be a hair less expensive per pound than IMR 4064 you will use more of it per round.If you do use 760 I would also use Mag Primers.

sundog
01-18-2020, 04:14 PM

Bazoo, 50.0/IMR7383 (that's a case full to the bottom of the neck) runs 2395 fps in 30-06 with a 168 BTHP in several bolts guns tested. ES and SD is extremely low and consistent. Plenty of old threads on the powder. Thing to remember is do not compress it, it gets pressure spikey. BTW, this load combination prints really nice, small patterns.

Interesting side note, when shot in low light/dark the muzzle flash is extremely small and dull orange.

Bazoo
01-18-2020, 04:21 PM
Thanks for the info sundog. I did some research on 7383 but I didn't consider the gas system. I will at least research it's use in semi autos before I abandon it altogether.

Bazoo
01-18-2020, 05:11 PM
A deer hunting rifle might be shot 5 times a year if you go with a 3 shot zero verification. If he isn't currently a target shooter a Rem 7400 will not turn him into one.

True true. He isn't a very good shot, but he's wanting to be. The 870 is his shotgun of choice so the 7400 plays into that. I'm hoping this will open the door to other options.

01-18-2020, 05:18 PM
Gift him a box blems and a pack of primers. Let him get a pound of good powder and he will get the bug for inexpensive (not cheap) fodder for his smoke pole. Take the advice above and go for it. I use 4320 to extraordinarily good success with a 130 grain second from Midway.

EMC45
01-18-2020, 06:05 PM
I load with 4350, but it was only in bolt guns

EDG
01-18-2020, 06:21 PM
I have tried to encourage those kind of guys to reload and they always find some excuse to avoid it.

Bazoo
01-18-2020, 07:06 PM
I appreciate the advice so far.

Okay, Bartlett surplus reloader 15 is my next question. The alliant websight lists it with a 130 grain bullet. My Lyman manual doesn't list it with 130 grainers however. Opinions on this powder are appreciated.

Winger Ed.
01-18-2020, 07:55 PM
I have tried to encourage those kind of guys to reload and they always find some excuse to avoid it.

Thanks. I feel vindicated.

I help & encourage folks all I can, but have sort of lost patience on some things.
I've gotten to where I'm not inclined to invest any more time on their interests or pursuits than they are.

Bazoo
01-18-2020, 08:26 PM
He's been interested in reloading a while but reluctant because he really didn't have any reason to reload. This is his first centerfire hunting rifle I think. I know he had an SKS 10 years ago but ammo was cheap for it. He has a handgun and shoots it occasionally, but an occasional box of 9mm or 38 special is not worth delving into reloading for.

His life is changing, he moved to the country, started getting into hunting. So I have hope he'll give reloading a shot.

Elroy
01-19-2020, 11:30 AM

They often put you on the spot by trying to get you to load ammo for them.

gwrench
01-19-2020, 07:29 PM
I'm not sure about chasing cheaper bullet options but you can find some good value at Shooters pro shop, the nosler outlet. It would be good for your friend to get interested in chasing these options.

Hogtamer
01-19-2020, 08:01 PM
A max load of 48 gr IMR 4064 under the 130 gn ballistic tip is 1/2 moa in my browning abolt. Heavier bullets are all over the place with this powder at appropriate charges.

white eagle
01-19-2020, 08:59 PM
handloading for saving money is a bad idea
your better off buying loaded ammo costs to get started will
give him a good dose of sticker shock

Bazoo
01-19-2020, 11:12 PM
We had another discussion about it tonight and he definitely wants to give it a try. We're going to run a couple boxes of 38 special as we both have one and he will not have to buy powder or bullets to test drive and see if he likes it. He's interested for sure because of the cost.

I am one of those rare folks that believes you save money reloading. I shoot more because I reload but I don't shoot so much that I spend more than I would on factory ammo. The only way I could afford to shoot anything other than 22 any reasonable amount is reloading.

Bazoo
01-19-2020, 11:34 PM
I'm not sure about chasing cheaper bullet options but you can find some good value at Shooters pro shop, the nosler outlet. It would be good for your friend to get interested in chasing these options.

I've not heard of that place yet thanks for the heads up. We are just in the beginning of his interest, I'm sure he'll look into the research if he likes reloading and decides to continue. My research was to show him that there is a drastic difference between town prices and surplus and big gun store/online prices.

If I told him, come over with some .277 bullets and a pound of 4064 he would have bought them in town and paid $27 and $32 respectively. The the cost of a box would bout $11 instead of $7. Yes it's a savings but, by showing him the potential savings he's more likely to get started.

Once he gets started he'll likely be hooked.

leadman
01-20-2020, 02:19 AM
Another outlet to watch is Natchez Shooters Supply. Speer 130gr hot-cor are $20, 150gr are $23 a box right now. I bought some 6.5mm Hot Cor bullets awhile back for $12 a box of 100.

Bazoo
01-20-2020, 08:40 AM
Thanks, I forgot about Natchez.

EMC45
01-20-2020, 11:26 AM
They often put you on the spot by trying to get you to load ammo for them.

Have a family member who wanted to "learn" how to reload ammo. I walked him through the steps and process. More than once. After a few shooting sessions of handloaded ammo and significant cost savings, he stated he didn't want to learn to load ammo and just have me load all his ammo for him. It was the last time I pulled the press handle for him.

Bazoo
01-20-2020, 01:04 PM
I won't load any for him. He doesn't have that notion. He wants to learn but needs some encouragement and guidance. I will load 5 when I show him the steps, then I'll tutor him as he loads the next 5. Then the next 40 for his first box. This way he gets a good understanding of how it works.

Blackwater
01-20-2020, 06:35 PM
Good to see another reloader in the making, and thanks for nurturing him along. FWIW a buddy started loading for the .270 when he was a young teen ager and was afraid to load the slower powders since the charge wts. were so much larger than the medium rate powders. He shot 47 gr. of IMR-4064 with most any 130 gr, bullet, and got stellar accuracy and plenty of velocity, though not the top velocity. It sure killed a lot of deer, and just about all were one shot kills. Truth be told, we don't NEED nearly as much velocity as we LIKE to have. It takes a LOT more velocity to shoot noticably flatter, or hit any harder, than a "middle of the road" load. And heaven knows, reloads are a LOT cheaper .... at least to start with. Being cheaper, it mainly allows most of us to just shoot more for what we were already spending, but that sure helps us become better and more accurate shooters.

Oh! And make SURE he knows to keep his chamber CLEAN! Rem's autos are notorious for tearing the rims off ctg. cases and jamming if the chamber isn't kept scrupulously clean. And it also needs to be a relatively DRY clean, too! Just sloshing a bunch of oil in there is NOT a "shortcut" to getting perfect functioning with an auto. A good chamber brush, like a .50 cal. bore brush, will keep any "fine brown patina" from growing into rust, with a good solvent. Then a little light oil on a patch, run into the chamber, followed by a clean one to get any excess out, will keep that rifle perkin' like a princess!

I think all of us had one or more mentors when we started to get interested in loading our own. This is a pursuit that kind'a requires it really, and I thank you for helping grow our ranks. Ya' done good, bro'! REAL good!

Bazoo
01-20-2020, 07:16 PM
Thanks for the encouragement and advice Blackwater.

I didn't have a mentor. There once was another forum I attended and I asked some of those newbie questions such as what's the best press and where do I start. That's one reason I try to answer those kind of questions here. Mostly I've learned here and by reading voraciously on the subject and by doing.

I understand how overwealming it can be by yourself and with a nervous wife. That's one reason I'm going out of my way for my friend.

It would be nice to have a friend that reloads.

gwrench
01-20-2020, 11:00 PM
You're being a good friend! I'm glad you will help him out.

Natchez does have some good deals. Here's a link to the nosler outlet to compare. Their blems have always worked fine for me.

http://www.shootersproshop.com/

Three44s
01-22-2020, 09:24 PM
A big 10+ for Shooters Pro Shop!

I find getting shooters into handloading is like trying to push a rope! If a person wants to they will “pull” themselves in. Pushing leads to frustration.

I began with no mentor what so ever in 1975 at the ripe old age of 19 years old and would not have traded a minute of it. No internet yet, just magazines and books.

I have two nephews that their dad (my brother) has bought the entire reloading set up from a late best friend’s estate for them. The oldest seemed to really run with it but lately has sputtered out for now. I think he will come around when he finishes now 4th year in college. His younger brother has the bug to get his 22-250 shooting tight and I think he might surprise me and end being my most devoted student.

A family friend nearing retirement from the education field has been bumbling along but he is laying in equipment so I think the ‘ole hook is set with him. Once he is retired this spring I think I will have him in the loop.

It gets frustrating but that is the way it is.

Three44s

David2011
01-29-2020, 03:47 PM

Yeah, I can’t count the number of times someone has asked me to load for them. Tell ‘me I can’t but will teach them how. Zero takers so far.