PDA

View Full Version : New Henry 45-70 Lever Action

lightload
01-16-2020, 11:47 PM
I bought the steel and not brassite receiver version. It is a beautiful rifle. When loading the magazine and then pushing down the tube, the lever would open. Sometimes a round would enter the action. Sometimes one would become stuck in the magazine. Henry is paying the freight back to them, and I look forward to receiving it. Has anyone here experienced the same problem?

Tatume
01-17-2020, 07:55 AM
I'm sorry to hear another story about unreliable Henry rifles. I hope they fix it to your satisfaction.

Kev18
01-17-2020, 09:10 PM
I bought my dad one for Christmas. The brass frame wildlife edition in 45-70. Have yet to shoot it... Hopefully it goes good.

lightload
01-18-2020, 03:08 AM
It most likely will.

Thinking about my rifle's problem, the method of loading may be the problem because once the shells are dropped into the magazine, the spring loaded tube must be pushed down on top of the column of ammo. This force opens the action. I wonder if a stronger plunger tube spring might aid in locking the lever in its closed position?

buckwheatpaul
01-18-2020, 09:31 PM
Got a case colored 357 carbine....it is great.....my groups are not the greatest yet as I seldom shoot a long gun without a scope....working on it.....but I do love it and it functions perfectly!

Prairie Cowboy
01-18-2020, 10:16 PM
It most likely will.

Thinking about my rifle's problem, the method of loading may be the problem because once the shells are dropped into the magazine, the spring loaded tube must be pushed down on top of the column of ammo. This force opens the action. I wonder if a stronger plunger tube spring might aid in locking the lever in its closed position?

If you mean the bevel-faced plunger and spring in the trigger guard area of the lever that latches against a cross pin in the receiver, then yes it should. The spring may be weak or the face of the plunger angled incorrectly.

Incidentally, if you are looking for information about how your Henry action works, just look for the same information for a Marlin 336. The Henry action is a reverse-engineered copy of the Marlin, with a transfer bar safety added to the hammer.

Ramjet-SS
01-19-2020, 11:40 AM
My 357 did that after a few rounds through the gun it went away so I thinking a burr or something along those lines.

Ramjet-SS
01-19-2020, 11:42 AM
I'm sorry to hear another story about unreliable Henry rifles. I hope they fix it to your satisfaction.

Well if we are keeping score I bet remains got em beat :veryconfu

Tatume
01-19-2020, 11:45 AM
Well if we are keeping score I bet remains got em beat :veryconfu

I don't know what this means.

thegatman
01-19-2020, 12:32 PM

I don't know what this means.

?I think he means, “Remlins”

Tatume
01-19-2020, 01:39 PM
Ahhh.

lightload
01-25-2020, 04:03 AM
Today I received my Henry 45-70 back from The Wisconsin factory They shipped it back on the 3rd day. They replaced the lever, adjusted the lockup, and replaced the tube interior. They may have lubed the interior because it moves with less friction. Rifle functions properly.

missionary5155
01-25-2020, 08:45 AM
It does not matter what brand of mechanical item you buy... There will always be some that are not quit right.

gumbo333
01-25-2020, 10:29 AM
Had my steel Henry 45/70 a few years, love it, never even a teenie tiny problem so far. I have mine scoped with 1 - 4 x 20 Leupold. It is quite accurate. It does very well with several 405 gr mouse fart loads. The higher end of those are plenty for deer at reasonable range. No kick! I think you will really like it. I sold my Marlins, got tired of pinched fingers loading them. Just me. Have a great time getting to know Henry.

lightload
01-25-2020, 02:16 PM
I will use a 405 grain bullet because it seems that this weight is accurate. Further, I will select one lower end velocity combination that would serve well for deer and hogs out to 100 yards. And I will plink with the same combination. Age and eyesight dictate that I scope the rifle with a shotgun style scope. Gumbo's Leupold is ideal.