PDA

View Full Version : 40-82 Silouette

Dalton146
01-16-2020, 08:02 PM
I have acquired a Winchester 1885 High Wall which was originally chambered in 32-40. It was rebored to 40-82 Sillouhette (Crossno) and I have C&H dies for it. Does anyone have load data for this caliber using Chey-Cast 400 gr Snover (.409) 1:20 Alloy - BP Lube bullets? I have brass that came with the gun. Someone said I could load black powder or modern powder and I need to know for sure. Thanks.

DHDeal
01-21-2020, 04:45 AM
You might want to ask this in the black powder section.

Dave Crossno was a fine rifle builder and that cartridge was sort of a magnum 40/65. The longer case helped get those 400ish grain bullets to the 1000 yard line or knock steel down a tiny bit faster at 500 meters (BPCR Silhouette). It took advantage of more case capacity while still maintaining a long neck and as long as you had a fast enough twist it could handle heavy long bullets.

There have been a few 40/82's but you know which one you have because of the dies. It was designed as a BPCR caliber and I suppose you could use modern powder, but I wouldn't, especially if it is an original older 85. Make no mistake, that is a strong action and a fine caliber, but it was designed for a specific purpose. That is a long case and using smokeless powder will leave much room under that bullet. Not an ideal situation. Black powder will fill that case up and then some.

I have a Crossno Hepburn in 40/65 and am familiar with the 40/82 Crossno.