PDA

View Full Version : Winchester 1886 Project Finished.

Kev18
01-16-2020, 06:56 PM
I finally got all the parts needed, and modified what I could.
-I added a vernier style sight. I have multiple rear sights, including the original leaf/ladder sight and a Lyman tang peep.
-New simple sling I made. Bought period correct mounts. Had to buy a new forend cap to drill a hole.
- Removed Barrel mounted sight and added a blank.
-Made a large lever for ease of use and comfort.

https://i.imgur.com/a9HEYBX.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/ZcNo1Z0.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/xqrVfWq.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/wGmsqDt.jpg

Shawlerbrook
01-16-2020, 07:15 PM
Sweet old girl !

osteodoc08
01-16-2020, 07:43 PM
That turned out really nice. How’s she shoot?

Kev18
01-16-2020, 09:42 PM
That turned out really nice. How’s she shoot?

Shoots really nice. I'd like to go shoot on paper soon. Iv'e had it for years and never really did groups... I shoot steel from a few hundred feet and I hit it... so its nice, but id like groups. I have an old picture of when I was testing loads from last year. You can see three holes touching, from about 50-75 feet.(Bottom target, big holes.) Not a cross country shot but its nice. I want long shots.
https://i.imgur.com/2CRP6EW.jpg

MT Chambers
01-16-2020, 10:06 PM
You may have a barrel problem, some holes are bigger than others.

DDJ
01-16-2020, 10:18 PM
Nice Gun!! I love the old ones. What's it chambered in?

cwtebay
01-16-2020, 10:24 PM
Nicely done!!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Kev18
01-16-2020, 10:26 PM
You may have a barrel problem, some holes are bigger than others.

Small holes are .22

Kev18
01-16-2020, 10:27 PM
Nice Gun!! I love the old ones. What's it chambered in?

40-82 wcf. Not a 45-70 for once. ;)

veeman
01-17-2020, 12:05 AM
Nicely done!

Kev18
01-17-2020, 01:59 PM
Im not sure if il take off the case hardening to match everything? You can see some on the lever and front cap.

veeman
01-17-2020, 05:28 PM
I wouldn't touch it. I would be more concerned with the front strap hook. How does the rear strap hook on? Just simply a screw in the butt stock? Int that uncomfy?

indian joe
01-17-2020, 07:11 PM
Kev
What (maker) lever did you end up using to make the bigloop?

Kev18
01-17-2020, 09:08 PM
I wouldn't touch it. I would be more concerned with the front strap hook. How does the rear strap hook on? Just simply a screw in the butt stock? Int that uncomfy?

What do you find is wrong with the hook? And the rear is holding in by a leather strap. Screwed by the original lower butt plate screw. It's actually nicer having a leather pad over the crescent butt plate spike. Quite comfy :)

Kev18
01-17-2020, 09:08 PM
Kev
What (maker) lever did you end up using to make the bigloop?

Well people here told me to go with chiappa. And they were right. A complete drop in fit. It's the only thing out of everything I changed that I didn't need to touch or modify at all. Factory spec parts.

veeman
01-17-2020, 09:12 PM
Cool. When I look at the top hook, I guess I see it coming unhooked at the most inopportune time. But if it works, great. Sorry if I came off negative, wasn't meant to be.

Kev18
01-17-2020, 09:17 PM
Cool. When I look at the top hook, I guess I see it coming unhooked at the most inopportune time. But if it works, great. Sorry if I came off negative, wasn't meant to be.

Not negative, im just trying to get people's opinions. Sometimes multiple brains are better then one ;) and it does get unhooked but you really need to fiddle with it. It's a period correct sling mount, but keep in mind that they don't make them like that no more for a reason! If it doesn't work, il swap it out for something else. No worries. Every piece I've changed was from experiences I had with the rifle. Sometimes I small piece can change alot. I really didn't want to keep putting the rifle down in mud or deep snow. So a sling is a must and I love having my hands free.

veeman
01-17-2020, 11:13 PM
I like your lever wrap. Is it long enough not to shift back n forth? Nice job on the lever itself, too. Looks like it's supposed to be there stock.

veeman
01-17-2020, 11:19 PM
I like your lever wrap. Is it long enough not to shift back n forth? Nice job on the lever itself, too. Looks like it's supposed to be there stock.

Kev18
01-18-2020, 11:14 AM
The wrap is tight. It's not going anywhere. I made it of a leather lace. I tried every other option. I had a normaleather wrap stitched on. But the stitching sometimes gets loose. I had fringes too but that gets in the way of the action. Doesn't mean because it looks cool that it will work well. [smilie=w:

veeman
01-18-2020, 11:19 AM
Well I like it, so if you do too, it's all good! [smilie=w: :D

Reverend Al
01-18-2020, 05:01 PM
Kev18 I sent you a PM ...

Kev18
01-18-2020, 07:05 PM
Kev18 I sent you a PM ...

Didn't get anything...?

Reverend Al
01-18-2020, 08:40 PM
Funny, it doesn't show in my "sent" box either. I'll try again!

indian joe
01-19-2020, 12:19 AM
Well people here told me to go with chiappa. And they were right. A complete drop in fit. It's the only thing out of everything I changed that I didn't need to touch or modify at all. Factory spec parts.

Thanks ! I was the people, or one of them at least, .........good to know that the story about Chiappa fitting originals was true.

If you ever want to replace or modify a magazine tube - can buy the 19mm steel curtain rod in homeware stores - its chinese make downunder - but EXACT outside diameter for a swap - thinner wall, and the plastic finish takes some work (or an oxytorch) to get it off - but fits the rings like an original.

edp2k
01-19-2020, 04:47 AM
You could always take a pair of pliers and a piece of leather for padding and squish the front sling hook a bit
to reduce/eliminate the chance of the front sling hook coming unhooked at the worst possible time
(i.e. 15 ft up in a tree stand, gun barrel lands first and sticks in mud :)

On the shoe leather lace on the lever, looks good.
However, I'm not sure if a leather shoe lace is vegetable tanned or chrome tanned.
I would guess its chrome tanned. I think its cheaper and holds color better, and that would make sense for shoes.

Leather for holsters is veg tanned and is used because it won't cause rust on steel.
(yes even veg tanned leather will eventually draw moisture and thus could induce steel to start to rust.)
Chrome tanned leather is tanned with chromium salts and will definitely rust steel.
Even if its veg tanned I would put some melted beeswax on it (or 50/50 beeswax/olive oil)
so that it won't absorb moisture and facilitate rust, I know there is lots of snow and rain in Quebec :)

I'm sure someone on here will chime in and say if leather shoe laces are veg or chrome tanned.

M-Tecs
01-19-2020, 05:22 AM
Good read on the different leather types here https://www.worldofleathers.com/leather-guide-and-info/what-is-the-best-tanning-leather-process/

Kev18
01-19-2020, 04:14 PM
Thanks ! I was the people, or one of them at least, .........good to know that the story about Chiappa fitting originals was true.

If you ever want to replace or modify a magazine tube - can buy the 19mm steel curtain rod in homeware stores - its chinese make downunder - but EXACT outside diameter for a swap - thinner wall, and the plastic finish takes some work (or an oxytorch) to get it off - but fits the rings like an original.

Thought about it but Id need to cut a dovetail in the barrel for the front mount. I dont mind a short mag.

Kev18
01-19-2020, 04:16 PM
You could always take a pair of pliers and a piece of leather for padding and squish the front sling hook a bit
to reduce/eliminate the chance of the front sling hook coming unhooked at the worst possible time
(i.e. 15 ft up in a tree stand, gun barrel lands first and sticks in mud :)

On the shoe leather lace on the lever, looks good.
However, I'm not sure if a leather shoe lace is vegetable tanned or chrome tanned.
I would guess its chrome tanned. I think its cheaper and holds color better, and that would make sense for shoes.

Leather for holsters is veg tanned and is used because it won't cause rust on steel.
(yes even veg tanned leather will eventually draw moisture and thus could induce steel to start to rust.)
Chrome tanned leather is tanned with chromium salts and will definitely rust steel.
Even if its veg tanned I would put some melted beeswax on it (or 50/50 beeswax/olive oil)
so that it won't absorb moisture and facilitate rust, I know there is lots of snow and rain in Quebec :)

I'm sure someone on here will chime in and say if leather shoe laces are veg or chrome tanned.

It's not a show lace. Its an actual leather strip. Got it in a bag of scraps I buy at tandy leather. There's massive pieces of leather in those bags so its worth it. Some Strips are 4 feet long.

indian joe
01-19-2020, 04:52 PM
Thought about it but Id need to cut a dovetail in the barrel for the front mount. I dont mind a short mag.

just a bit of info to file away - you might find another bargain :smile:

Kev18
01-19-2020, 10:52 PM
just a bit of info to file away - you might find another bargain :smile:

Bargains rarely happen these days :(

If1Hitu
01-21-2020, 05:06 PM
Looks like a very good job done.:bigsmyl2:

Kev18
01-22-2020, 11:26 AM
This is crazy, but I was looking at barrels for it... Its around 800$ US for a barrel. If id ever win the lottery I would get one done, a short 22 inch carbine version. I would be able to crank up the fps abit to make hotter loads, not that I need to but I could :)
There is a picture floating around of my rifle, just with a cut down barrel and it looks awesome!