PDA

View Full Version : windows 7 is done ?

shaper
01-15-2020, 10:39 AM
When I turned the computer on this morning a notice came up. Microsoft is no longer supporting windows 7.
I tried W 10 and don't like it at all. What is my options now.

Froogal
01-15-2020, 10:45 AM
I had no choice but to go with Windows 10. My old computer running Windows Vista just flat died so I had to buy a new computer. Windows 10 was the only choice. I didn't like it at first, and still don't like it, but I am getting along with it. Downloading and installing the Firefox browser was the only thing that saved me.

NSB
01-15-2020, 10:45 AM
You can keep using it until it no longer runs on your computer, or.....you can do like I did and start using Windows 10 which I really, really hate. It's like going to another country and not being able to speak the language. Probably the best option going forward is to get an Apple tablet and learn to use it. It can be set up to use a keyboard, a mouse, and do all the things you do now. It's doesn't continually barrage you with updates you don't understand and it keeps running without you having to do anything except use it. If you want it with the keyboard, etc you'll probably need someone to set all that up for you. Most of my computer usage after retiring is emails, google searches for info on different things, and storing pictures I keep off my trail cameras. I don't need Windows 10 to do all that. As far as I'm concerned, Microsoft can take a flying leap. I think Apple is probably the way to go.

popper
01-15-2020, 10:54 AM
Win 7 still works, just no more security fixes coming. Linux Mint works fine, is easy to install. Visual desktop is very good now and doesn't crash like it used to do. Also FREE! Firefox just did an emergency/security update.

Wayne Smith
01-15-2020, 10:55 AM
But Apple support also runs out. I have a 16gig Ipad that is no longer supported. From 32 and up now are all they support.

Mal Paso
01-15-2020, 11:05 AM
Apple seems like the only choice. I was hoping Microsoft would come up with a professional operating system but it was too much to ask of the bureaucratic mess that is Microsoft.

I will stick with win 7 offline as long as I can and get started soon on a Mac. Linux won't run Photoshop or QuickBooks.

DanishM1Garand
01-15-2020, 11:52 AM
You can use it. I know a guy that surfs the web on Windows 3.1 and hasn’t a care in the world as no one tried to propagate viruses for 3.1.

kayala
01-15-2020, 11:58 AM
Worst part about Win10 is that it is the biggest spyware/adware today. Their "telemetry" can be partially disabled but who knows how effective this disable is. If OSX/IOS (apple) is out of the question due to price one can get switch to one of the numerous Linux distributions. For web surfing and basic office requirements (like composing texts or spreadsheets) Linux will do just fine.

hollywood63
01-15-2020, 12:00 PM
I dabbled in Linux distor's years ago dual booting my PC with XP. Looks like I'm going to have to get back into Linux which I always liked and was able to get whatever I needed to work

C.F.Plinker
01-15-2020, 12:07 PM
Win 7 still works, just no more security fixes coming.

Will the McAfee and Norton security programs take care of any/most problems that we as users will see?

ioon44
01-15-2020, 12:07 PM
I am interested in getting out of windows 10 and Google.

pworley1
01-15-2020, 12:11 PM
When windows 7 was replaced by windows 10 I switched to Linux. Once I had it up and running all the windows problem went away. It has all the free software I need to do all I need to do.

rockrat
01-15-2020, 12:38 PM
I am still running Vista on my desktop and win 8 on my laptop. If I have to, I will get an Apple laptop to take place of my Vista unit, but so far, its barely hanging on. Can't buy a new printer to work with it, some files have been corrupted and can't print anymore. I have to forward to my laptop and then print from that!

454PB
01-15-2020, 12:39 PM
Another vote for Linux Mint.

waksupi
01-15-2020, 01:22 PM
When I got my new computer, I took it to the shop before I even turned it on. Had them scrub every trace of Windows and install Linux. Zero problems since then.

pcolapaddler
01-15-2020, 01:33 PM
Choices...
Continue to use Windows 7. You will likely not receive any new updates from MS. At some point, updated versions of Chrome and/or Firefox may stop working. A careful user can probably get away with it. A happy clicker that will open any attachment or click on any link without thinking may run into trouble - but that is true for any OS. Keep a back up of your data.

Install Linux. Some things may not work as you are accustomed to. Some may not work at all. There can be a learning curve.

Buy new device. PC, tablet, many choices, but eventually all will fall off of the support life cycle.

In the new device arena, if you need mainly web browser and email, a Chromebook or Chromebox can't be beat. Inexpensive, practically automatic updates, little virus concern.

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

dangitgriff
01-15-2020, 01:43 PM
You can use it. I know a guy that surfs the web on Windows 3.1 and hasn’t a care in the world as no one tried to propagate viruses for 3.1.

That’s actually pretty smart.

farmerjim
01-15-2020, 02:17 PM
Most of my computers are on Linux, But I need one to run some of the programs that will not run on Linux. I started with ubuntu and like it a lot, but am starting to like Mint better each day. You can set your computer up to dual boot both windows and linux. They need to be on separate drives or partitions.

Dimner
01-15-2020, 02:25 PM

I know a guy that walks to work, and doesn't have a care in the world as no one has ever tried to car jack him.

Just trying to illustrate a point. 3.1 might be great for very basic web browsing, but only on sites that are also, very basic. No one makes viruses to infect 3.1 because what would they gain? no CC info, no SSNs, because ecommerce would be severely limited with 3.1

Back to the original subject... So with windows 7... They have stopped security updates. So that means if an exploit is found to put a virus on the computer that exploit will not get fixed. however anti virus software will still be able to remove the virus.

I have a machine that is pre-windows 7 (cannot remember what MS OS it has, maybe 98?). It only connects to the internet for 1 purpose, has no anti virus, surfs no websites. And it's secure as can be. However if I did my taxes with that machine and clicked on a bunch of spam emails? I'd have my info stolen in a second.

I guess what I am trying to say is Use Windows 7 for a very long time. Be smart about how you use your machine and what information you put into your machine. Run an anti-virus software package (please not norton, or MAcaffe they hog memory) and do your thing.

Scrounge
01-15-2020, 02:41 PM
When I turned the computer on this morning a notice came up. Microsoft is no longer supporting windows 7.

If you don't mind being offline to avoid being a target for hackers, nothing at all. If you want to continue going online, you either need to upgrade at least to Window 8.1, or 10. I am no longer a fan of Window, but if you've spent a lot of time learning it, like I have, or have a lot of expensive commercial software, like Photoshop, Acrobat, any of the high-end CAD/CAM graphics/desktop publishing software, you need to upgrade to Windows 10. I'm stuck with it, myself, because I'm trying to learn to use Solidworks. Gotta have Win10 & a relatively high-end machine. As a veteran, you can get a 1-year student license for Solidworks for $20. It's worth putting up with Win 10 for that alone.

If all you do is surf the Web, and email, you can switch to Linux. It's free. Several of the newer versions are very windows-like, and you can download it, burn it to a flash drive or DVD, and try it out to see how you like it. The default browser is usually Firefox, which a lot of folks really like. You can also get WaterFox, which is a 64bit version of FireFox software to take advantage of 64-bit operating systems and hardware. I could be wrong, but I'm going to say all modern desktops and at least most full laptops are now 64bit machines.

If you decide to stick with Windows, and go to Win10, you can also get FireFox and WaterFox. Also Brave, which I like, and Chrome, which is the Google software, and for them, YOU are the product. I don't use Google for anything I can avoid. They're also Android, however, so even I can't avoid them entirely. :( All those browsers are also available in both Windows 10, multiple flavors or Linux, and Android OS's. Can't tell you much about Apple/Mac/Ipad/Iphone because I won't use their stuff at all. Gotten to be almost as bad as MS these days, and their hardware is way more expensive. Though a lot of people like their stuff, too.

Beginner-friendly versions of Linux include Linux Mint, Ubuntu, and some others that I don't remember at the moment. Those are the last two I tried, setup is fairly easy, and they're designed to be easy to use. Only problem for me is I use Epson All-in-one printer/scanner/fax machines, and the Linux drivers for them don't work as well as the Windows 10 drivers.

Hope that helps!

Elkins45
01-15-2020, 03:22 PM
My netbook is still running XP and that’s all it will ever run, but I don’t use it for e-commerce at all. When it gets jacked up I just wipe it and reload everything.

My main desktop is an iMac I bought in 2009. It’s still doing all I need and Apple keeps making updates for it.

porthos
01-15-2020, 08:49 PM
i had a computer repair shop update my windows 7 to 10 . he kept everything the same as it was on 7. so, if you know how to update properly;same format can be installed. i'm too dumb to have done it. paid $100.00 for the update and i'm a happy camper

bayjoe
01-15-2020, 09:20 PM
How and where do you get Linux Mint?
If I get Linux does it totally overwrite all my documents and pictures I have in Win 7

FLINTNFIRE
01-16-2020, 02:10 AM
Good old windows , I went to download the free update to 10 and when I went to save it to a usb flash drive it sent it to my connected external hard drive where it formatted its own 32 gig partition , turning the other larger part of a terabyte to a raw unformatted partition , No I did not tell it to format or set up a formatted partition , and so all 900 and some gigs with about 600 gigs of backed up data are toast , so that external drive is running a file recovery program and will be busy at that chore for a few days , but I have doubt I will recover all . Just love that good old microsoft / bill gates liberal we know whats best for the peasants. Yes I have linux on other machines and it looks like it is going to be all linux and less or no windows/microsoft , did not mind changing operating systems sometimes , but windows has been a hit or miss and linux does not intrude as much and is not the active do what it wants as microsofts software tends to be , sorry rant over , and I did like xp and 7 most of the others not so much.

GhostHawk
01-16-2020, 10:05 AM
I did not likr Win 10 at first. Then ordered a new high end laptop and they all had 10.

So I did some looking on how to clean up Win 10, found this and did it,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWHiP9K8fQ0&list=WL&index=7&t=0s&pbjreload=10

The real key IMO is to scroll down, he gives a follow along web page link that makes it dead easy.

Then reinstall anything you want, solitare, ebook reader, whatever. It will clean it down to the bare bones, Went from almost 2 min boot time to 26 seconds.

/then I used Glary Utilites to clean a few things out of start menu. Clean up all the registry entrys, shortcuts, etc.

The other choice IMO is Linux Mint. It is learnable. Biggest change is the file structure is totally different.

Both are poddible to master with a little time spent educating youself.

I ran Mint 18 for some 18 months on an old slow Win 8 machine that upgraded itself to 10 while asleep in the case. Too much time elapsed, could not roll back. So I wiped drive and loaded Mint. Worked fine for browsing, email, etc and about 200% faster than before.

roadie
01-16-2020, 12:58 PM
If I get Linux does it totally overwrite all my documents and pictures I have in Win 7

Go to https://linuxmint.com

Download whichever desktop you want, the file will be a ISO......use some program in Windows to write the file to a USB stick.....no idea what program as I haven't used Windows in over 20 years. It has to be written as an image file, not just copied to the USB.

Boot your computer with the USB, you may have to enter the bios to make the machine look for the USB before the hard drive. If it boots well, then play with it and get used to it. The thing with using a USB stick is that you don't have to install to the hard drive right away, or at all, if you don't want to.

As far as installing it to the hard drive, if there is anything you don't want to take a risk of losing, it should be backed up to another USB stick........really, you should be doing that right now with Windows. You should also back up before playing with Mint, or any other, as it's possible to commit mayhem and destruction if you're new to things.

I'm sure Mint will have full instructions on the site, and in the file, on how to install. I haven't used Mint as it's just too bloated for me, I like 'em lean......a 2 gig download ain't my idea of lean, must be everything but the kitchen sink in that fat boy.

Really, if you're unsure, or not a computer person, then find someone who is......most kids these days can run circles around us old guys. Or, have a computer shop do it.

pcolapaddler
01-16-2020, 01:38 PM
Rufus is free and easy to use for burning an iso file to a USB stick.

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

Traffer
01-16-2020, 01:39 PM
From my experience as a PC Technician (retired)
Through the years when Microsoft would change an operating system, they would make it difficult to continue to use their older unwanted systems. They would do subtle things that would cause growing problems with the old systems. A person would get to where they would have to acquiesce and upgrade.
i hated to quit Windows XP. it was a perfectly fine operating system that would still be in use if they hadn't planned it's obsolescence to sell a new product. I finally switched to Windows 7 and found it to be the best version of Windows ever produced. I am still using it.
As others have pointed out Windows 10 is an operating system built on the idea that THEY will glean every possible bit of information on the user that is possible. Google and Facebook do not hold a candle to the invasive nature of Windows 10. I will not use it.
I have tried many versions of linux and never liked any of them simply because it is a Windows world and one is always running into aggravating little glitches with the interface from Linux to the world of Windows (maybe it is just me).
So I continue with Windows 7.
This is my theory about it's discontinuance:
Since the "game" of upgrading operating systems has played out (meaning there is no longer much monetary incentive for Microsoft to come out with a new operating system anymore), and so many people want to keep their Windows 7 computers (computers no longer need to be upgraded either because the advancement of home computers has hit the top of the curve. If you are using a computer now and it is adequate, it will continue to be adequate for the foreseeable future) Microsoft is not going to mess with Window 7 users like they did in the past to get people to upgrade.
Which translates to ...so what if there are no longer any patches and fixes for Windows 7. The vast majority of us don't need them. Unless you have access to a treasure on your computer, the bad guys have no incentive to try and hack it. And as far as someone getting all Win 7 computers to be "clones" for some evil world domination plot...relax, there is safety in numbers. SOMEBODY would step up and fix that.
In my opinion Windows 7 computers will be chugging along for another 15 to 20 years providing perfectly acceptable function for those of us that continue to use them.

454PB
01-16-2020, 02:39 PM
Use Roadie's directions to install Linux Mint. For more instructions or help, check here: https://forums.linuxmint.com/index.php

Yes, all files should be backed up on separate media before installing Mint to the hard drive.

Use Rufus as a tool to make an ISO file.

I set my computers up to be dual boot on a SSD.....Windows 10 and Linux Mint Cinnamon, but I seldom use Win 10. I boot to Windows 10 every month to 6 weeks just for the updates.

Reverend Al
01-16-2020, 04:47 PM
Dang it! I guess this means that I won't be able to upgrade my desktop computer from Windows XP to Windows 7?

:bigsmyl2:

gwrench
01-16-2020, 06:14 PM
Whether you plan to upgrade the os to something else or not you should have your data backed up.

I'm a linux fan too. Mint works great but I've used several that work fine.

Sometimes the support for a particular version of Linux (ubuntu or mint) can be pretty short. I would look for the LTS versions since they will be supported for years rather than months. There's a new version of Ubuntu LTS coming in April? Mint will do a few tweaks to Ubuntu before they release their own LTS version.

Traffer
01-16-2020, 07:53 PM
Dang it! I guess this means that I won't be able to upgrade my desktop computer from Windows XP to Windows 7?

:bigsmyl2:
Good news REVERANDAL. I have copies of every Windows operating system going back to Windows 95 Just let me know which one you want and it's yours.

DougGuy
01-16-2020, 08:52 PM
I think Etcher is easier to use than Rufus for making a bootable iso to install Linux Mint. Download the Linux Mint .iso file, I always choose Cinnamon, it is the most like windows 7 of all the various Linux Mint choices.

Download Etcher, extract it and just click on it, it opens, put a suitable usb drive in the machine, browse to the Linux Mint .iso file and Etcher will transfer it to the usb drive and make it bootable.

You can boot off the usb drive, it will quickly go to the Linux Mint desktop and you will be running a full blown version of Linux Mint, without disturbing any of your windows files, without making any changes to the windows hard drive.

Now... If you click on Install Linux Mint and you follow the prompts, It WILL overwrite all of your windows files, unless you choose to multi boot it with windows which I don't like to do. You can transfer all of your photos and documents to another hard drive for safe keeping, or to another usb drive. You should probably do this anyway periodically so that a hard drive crash doesn't wipe everything out.

SSD drives are dirt cheap nowdays, I suggest installing a separate SSD and disconnecting the windows drive completely, then install Linux Mint to this new SSD. Then when you connect your windows drive, Linux can still access all the files on it. This is the safest way to go. If for some reason you just cannot come to grips with Linux, simply shut down, disconnect the Linux drive and reconnect the windows drive and reboot.

You can also install and run any version of windows inside linux in a virtual machine. You can run both of them simultaneously (you just can't access any drives that one of the OSes has mounted, with the other OS. You have to dismount the drive to see it with the other OS). Windows is exposed to the internet just like it is the only OS on the computer, all windows programs will install and run in this virtual machine running windows, it won't even know it's running inside linux. You can shut it down just like shutting down the computer, which will shut down windows, and you can restart it again, the whole time linux runs, and isn't shut down or rebooted, just windows.

dbosman
01-16-2020, 09:06 PM

https://linuxmint.com/download.php
The download is an ISO file that you have to convert to a DVD or a bootable flash drive. When you boot it, you have some choices, but it's a "live" image so you can just run it off the flash drive or DVD until you decide to install it. The install will or won't over write depending on your choices.
To make a bootable flash drive, you use a program such as Etcher. https://www.balena.io/etcher/

https://linuxmint-installation-guide.readthedocs.io/en/latest/install.html
And there are thousands of Youtube videos.

GregLaROCHE
01-16-2020, 09:15 PM
I was excited when 10 came out. I got the first version and it was different, but usable. I then got a new computer with a newer version it was and is terrible. My wife uses it, but I’ve got an iPad now and love it.

dbosman
01-16-2020, 09:16 PM
Several people have mentioned having a backup. That is always a good idea. Ideally you have 3-2-1. Three backups, on at least two different types of media, and one stored off site.

Now I'm going to mention a great home backup solution. It's simple if one follows the step by step. It's XPEnology. This uses almost any old computer and spare hard drives to make a web managed NAS. https://xpenology.org/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IYSkiiYS5w
is a very good tutor.

Cole440
01-17-2020, 02:21 AM
Apparently so... At least windows 10 is better than 8!

BrassMagnet
01-17-2020, 12:40 PM

I converted my notebook a while back to dual boot (Win 7 & Linux Mint) because I play games in Win 7.
Yesterday, I converted Mrs Brass's notebook. Her desktop PC can not be converted to dual boot. Just wipe and load because I cannot create a new partition for the Linux. I removed all network connections for Win 7 to stop the PCs from trying to internet.
It is pretty easy to see if it is possible.

Reverend Al
01-17-2020, 07:17 PM
Good news REVERANDAL. I have copies of every Windows operating system going back to Windows 95 Just let me know which one you want and it's yours.

Me too! LOL ...

fcvan
01-17-2020, 07:30 PM
I haven't done a win 7 update in 2 years, nor have I had any problems. I run malware scan every couple of weeks which generally would find the ad-ware trying to creep in. Last winter, I started using Brave as my browser which stops a lot of ads and pop-up. It also tells you how many times per session it has done so and you can look to see what it stopped. The computer is not a barn burner but I mostly go here, watch some videos, and no banking/bill paying (iPad for that) so no problems. My brother backed his stuff up, tried 10, went back to 7. He's the comp guru, I listen to him.

454PB
01-18-2020, 12:39 AM
I bought a Wavlink HDD docking device which is USB connected. After I replaced my old hard drives with SSD's, I can plug the old hard drives into the docking device and have access to everything on them.

calm seas
01-18-2020, 12:59 AM

Linux is your friend. Win7, I recommend Mint Mate. Put it on a thumbdrive, and test drive it. My 89 yo Mom uses it, about all she does is email and FB with family

calm seas
01-18-2020, 01:03 AM
Apple seems like the only choice. I was hoping Microsoft would come up with a professional operating system but it was too much to ask of the bureaucratic mess that is Microsoft.

I will stick with win 7 offline as long as I can and get started soon on a Mac. Linux won't run Photoshop or QuickBooks.

Linux has GIMP, in my opinion (YMMV) a better photo editor than Photshop. Quickbooks...I can't help ya,unless it's just personal finances, then MMEX runs on Linux, Windows, and Mac

calm seas
01-18-2020, 01:10 AM
Most of my computers are on Linux, But I need one to run some of the programs that will not run on Linux. I started with ubuntu and like it a lot, but am starting to like Mint better each day. You can set your computer up to dual boot both windows and linux. They need to be on separate drives or partitions.
And, with virtual box in Linux, I install a free Win7 as a new system, bypass registration, and in a week when it goes TU, just run the iso and reinstall Win7. And I have not done that in over 4 years...cuz I don't do Windows.

GhostHawk
01-18-2020, 08:53 AM
Like 454pb I bought a SATA to USB adapter, plugged mt old SATA hard drives from my old desktop and hey presto. All the blasts from the past that I had stashed got moved onto this new machines 2 tb hdd. Games, books, music, pictures. Everything computer wise from the past 10 years at my fingertips.