PDA

View Full Version : 357 mag worship

bigted
01-14-2020, 12:50 PM
As the title eludes to ... this is a comment on the 357 S&W magnum revolver's usefulness.

Until the advent of the 357 mag, the 45 Colt was king. The 357 made power with a speeded up projectile ... whereas the 45 Colt does it's deal with low pressures and big heavy projectiles.

Dont get me wrong here ... I really like my 45's. They might just be my all time favorite revolver chambers.

Having said this ... the 357 might just be the best all round chambering in revolvers to date. You can tailor them with handloads for mouse size hunting to deer/black bear size critters which fills the bill for MOST of us.

Loading lite boolits at 550 to 650 FPS gets us into very fun target/small game loads. These loads can feed your belly over a camp fire or give plenty of target style shooting on a budget ... very cheap.

Loading with medium weight bullets/boolits in the 125 to 140ish realm with very deep hollow point projectiles at around 1000 to 1100 FPS and maybe faster gives a very effective self defense load that is still very viable as a man stopper.

Loading 158 grain to 200 grain boolits to as fast as safely possible gives a very agreeable hunting load for black bear, deer or any such weight table fodder. These give fair to great penetration on these animals and with proper shot placement ... are really acceptable for hunting medium game.

Revolvers that fill this general bill are plentiful and relatively affordable. High quality in most cases ... they exhibit very good accuracy and rugged dependability.

The shootability of these revolvers are just excellent . The recoil is lite and very controllable as well as not developing extreme ... [for the most part] ... muzzle blast.

4 and 6 inch barrel length give most the perfect revolver size for most shooters. The balance and "grip-a-bility is very good for most of us. The recoil with these middle road revolvers is extremely easy to learn to control. The medium frame size ... smith k and l frames, ruger GP's, single action Colt style revolvers ... are semi concealable, easy belt or shoulder holster carry and plain comfy revolvers to shoot, handle and care for.

All in all it is my opinion that while not maybe a specialty chambering ... and most certainly not a heavy for Large game chamber ... the 357 mag IS a just rite round for ALL general use for the most of us ... particularly for my use for sure. There is certainly better self defense ... better LARGE game ... better plinking rounds but ya gotta know that in an all around ... all in one chambering ... be pretty hard pressed to find a better built , easy accessible round and handgun combo to be found.

Letz hear it for the mighty 357 MAGNUM!

NSB
01-14-2020, 01:12 PM
I've owned more handguns over the last fifty years than I can even remember. I've had several custom built in a variety of calibers. For forty years I hunted deer exclusively with handguns and the cartridge of choice when it was all said and done was the .357mag. I've owned other calibers and killed deer with all of them. I've taken over fifty deer with the .357mag alone. The only deer I ever lost with a handgun was one shot with the 44mag using a full power load. The lesson here is that if you hit them right the .357mag is all you need. If you make a bad hit it doesn't matter what caliber you're using. Regardless of all the hoopla I've read over the years about which handgun caliber is best for deer hunting nothing has changed my mind on the .357mag, and that's based on personal experience not what I read in a magazine...or based on a limited amount of experience. Having shot over fifty myself (probably close to sixty by now) I have a pretty good idea of what it can do. If you can shoot...and I mean well, it's all the gun you'll need. If you can't, it won't matter what you have in your hand. For me, it's two thumbs up for the .357mag.

Texas by God
01-14-2020, 02:11 PM
Its perfect; much like the .270 Win. I have no use for either[emoji16]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

dverna
01-14-2020, 02:47 PM
I have 4 pistols and two rifles in

Gray Fox
01-14-2020, 03:00 PM
I especially like this round loaded with the RD 175 grain RNFP boolit over a stout load of 2400. It works well in my 28-2 and 8-shot 627 as well as my Rossi carbines. GF

str8wal
01-14-2020, 03:27 PM
I've had 'em off and on. Recently sold my last one. I prefer the boom of the 45 Colt to the loud crack of the 357 in the woods. 45 ACP, 38 Special or 9mm is more than enough for PD. I even carry a 380 on occasion. Don't really have any use for the 357, but I will probably buy one again some day, for some reason......

Silvercreek Farmer
01-14-2020, 03:34 PM
Shoot more of them than anything else. Says something!

Shawlerbrook
01-14-2020, 03:58 PM
Yes, the Swiss Army knife of handguns.

sniper
01-14-2020, 04:42 PM
Yes, the Swiss Army knife of handguns.

Jawhol, mein Herr!:bigsmyl2::goodpost:

Early on, 40 years or so ago...my late Brother-in-law and I settled on what we call "Hot.38-Mild Magnum loads for our 357s. His maximum load was an overload of 2400 powering the Lyman 358156 Gas Check boolit (I think that's what his mould was.) FULL case of 2400, squoosh the boolit down on top (good thing he was shooting a Ruger Blackhawk) and let 'er rip! Whoo! Beach ball size muzzle flame,even at noon... small animals hopping around in circles, blinded and deafened by the roar, and bushes 6 feet from the muzzle curling up and turning brown! Welll...maybe not quite, but close!;-)

Point is he liked to shoot it. Me, not so much. With the 357, we can shoot/load what we like best, and can have fun doing it! For some, the ooold argument "You're not getting your Money's Worth from your Magnum, shooting "Mouse loads" has charm. Mouse? I'd like to see the mouse that could stand up to even a standard pressure .38 Spl. wadcutter at ~700 fps. :shock: Orrr...maybe not; at my age I couldn't outrun it after I had just made him mad!

Now, I enjoy shooting "Warm" .38 +Ps as a very satisfactory recreational load with other uses, too.:-)

USSR
01-14-2020, 05:37 PM
I can only tell of my experience, having shot deer with both the .357 Magnum and the .45 Colt. While the .357 Magnum will definitely kill them, the effect of a .45 Colt on them is much greater. Big hole in, big hole out, adds up to lights out. Just my observation.

Don

bigted
01-14-2020, 05:42 PM
Yes I have read and seen and heard most of the reasons why the 357 is anemic, sub-calibre and hum drum for a handgun round. For me tho ... I do see it as the 270 WCF of revolvers ... I like em both!

The 357 can and does deliver on all counts. It does so with flat trajectory, plenty of power and while not a huge bore ... the medium bores have been gettin it done for decades now.

As a lite plinker that is economic ... it may not have any peers.

Thanks for the reply's. Keep em comin

Kirk Miller
01-14-2020, 05:45 PM
357, For me the The best all around handgun cartridge. 90% of my handgun shooting is range time and for that it is perfect. Handload mild to wild with no brass to chase or pick up. And for camping, a mid frame and for SD or carry a small j frame.
That's my story and along with my boyhood hero , Skeeter skelton, I'm stickin to it.:)

rancher1913
01-14-2020, 06:46 PM
so why is bulk ammo so hard to find. 9mm, 38 special, et all but I have never seen bulk buys on 357 magnum

bigted
01-14-2020, 09:39 PM
so why is bulk ammo so hard to find. 9mm, 38 special, et all but I have never seen bulk buys on 357 magnum

Good question.

Beerd
01-14-2020, 11:17 PM
and because no one posted this yet, a Skeeter classic;

http://www.darkcanyon.net/MyFriend_The357.htm

357Mag
01-14-2020, 11:19 PM
Bigted -

Howdy

You're "preachin' to the choir " !

"N' frame .357Mag's have been my carry gun for 45yr now. First... a 6" M-28, then for a long time a 5" -27; then on o a M-58 frame outfitted w/ a liner for .357Mag along w/ a M-28 cylinder; and finally to my idea of CCW perfection..... an former NYSP M-520 fitted w/ a custom 4" bull barrel, trigger guard relieved on front right side, combat trigger, bobbed hammer ( no spur ), action work by Dave Schwarze, manganese phosphate finish; and completed w/ custom Herretts Jordan Trooper stock in Goncalo Alves. I had Herretts include a superbly fashioned and well placed speedloader relief in the top of the Lt grip.

Rem 125JHPs get the nod. Practice and other shooting accomplished using 158-172gr Lyman SWCs over 14.5gr WW296 and SP Mag primer.

Carried often in a Ken Null custom ultra-high ride of my own design, which includes a notable fwd rake on the muzzle angle (keeps arm/wrist geometry
in-line w/ barrel axis to prevent a bent wrist draw ). Cylinder located above top of belt line on strong side. I also use a Bianchi Pistol Pocket intended for a
4" M-19, which I stretched out to hold the larger "N". Clips-on inside belt in small of back. w/ barrel located.....well.... you know where. This under-shirt carry mode works very well under summer wt shirts, and the gun's finish resists any propensity to rust unbelievably well !

.357Mag..... all-the-way !!

Check this out.....

With regards,
357Mag

Thumbcocker
01-15-2020, 11:17 AM
My first center fire handgun was/is a 6inch 27. Then I discovered the.44 Magnum and then the .44 special. I shoot a lot of .44 special. I read once a quote to the effect that .357's make excellent. 38 specials. I have to wonder how many .357's spend most of their lives as .38 specials. Still despite my personal biases, I usually reccomend a da .357 as a the handgun for a person just starting out who wants one handgun.

Doughty
01-15-2020, 11:41 AM
I carried one a lot in my younger days. On the range with ear plugs and muffs, it was okay. But in the field, I just hated it. I passed up so many "shots of opportunity" because I didn't want an earache afterwards. The .45 auto and the .45 Colt can be loud, but I don't pass on shots because of the noise.

Biggin
01-15-2020, 12:58 PM
Funny I I've told my wife several times lately that with all the political issues going on. If I had to give up most of my guns (never gonna happen!) That a medium frame single or double action revolver in 38/357 would be what I would keep. First centerfire handguns I got as a teenager. Ive had one or the other for at least 40yrs.

BigboreShooter
01-15-2020, 06:27 PM
357mag. the 30-30 of handgun cartridges!
Put it in the right spot, it'll get the job done!

BigboreShooter

Art in Colorado
01-16-2020, 09:14 AM
and because no one posted this yet, a Skeeter classic;

http://www.darkcanyon.net/MyFriend_The357.htm
Beerd, thank you for this. I have had this many years ago and lost track. Printed it off and will put it with my collection of Handloader Mags where it wont get lost. Brings back memories of those old time six gunners I read about before I could afford their guns.

Thanks again

Petander
01-16-2020, 11:20 AM
Count me in as a re-born 357:er.

https://i.postimg.cc/5NLYbm8V/IMG-20200116-170752-226.jpg

sniper
01-16-2020, 11:25 AM
Ooooo...izzat the "new" 66 2 3/4" barrel? AND...the 586! BOTH handsome guns!:bigsmyl2:

Petander
01-16-2020, 11:30 AM
The 66 is a -94, 2 1/2".

I bought it in -96, sold it in -15 and just got it back.

white eagle
01-16-2020, 08:46 PM
IMO there's nothing a 357 can do that a 44 mag can't do better
I have had a bunch of handguns over the years most have
gone down the road for one reason or another,however I still own
and shoot a 44 mag
just what I like is all sorry for the drift [smilie=w:

Silvercreek Farmer
01-16-2020, 09:14 PM
Let the boy shoot his first full power (10gr bluedot/158gr) today in a Sp101. I won't say he didn't flinch, but I do think he will take to it nicely!

bluelund79
01-17-2020, 10:16 AM
I love the 357mag, and just as described above, it can/will do almost anything. However, if I’m in an area hunting that has grizzly’s, the 357 stays home and I bring a little larger caliber that I still shoot accurately. And yes, some of us have shot under stress, so limitations are known.

AlaskaMike
01-17-2020, 12:47 PM
I'm a huge .357 fan as well, and in fact my first handgun I bought as soon as I turned 21 was a 4" model 28 which I still have and actively shoot today. I do have to agree with the comments about the unique crack of full power .357 mag loads. 158 gr. cast SWCs over 15 gr. 2400 tend to get the attention of those nearby me on the firing line. Mostly these days I shoot a 158gr SWC over 7 grains of Unique or 8 grains of Power Pistol. Even with full power loads, recoil with the .357 isn't nearly as much as .44 mag or heavy .45 Colt.

I tend not to carry the .357 in the field though simply due to the likelihood of running into brown bear or angry moose. I'll usually carry a .44 mag or heavy .45 Colt in those cases.

lefty o
01-17-2020, 01:17 PM
i dont own one, but the 357 checks a lot of boxes for a lot of people.

RogerDat
01-17-2020, 01:42 PM
Covers a wide range of uses. You know what it can do, and can count on it to do what it does well. Can't ask for more than that from any cartridge. None are perfect, and too often the ones that are "do it all" tend to do only one, or limited things really well (*cough* Unique *cough*). The rest it does "ok". Not so the 357 mag. With the proper load as the OP pointed out from punching paper, scaring cans, personal defense or putting game in the freezer it can do all of these things very well.

Is the 44 mag a better choice for bear country? Certainly that specific use case the 44 mag would be superior. That doesn't make the 357 mag totally unacceptable, just not preferable. I would simply use the hottest load that was safe and accurate then count on penetration and really loud noise to work in my favor. Large fireball can't hurt either.

Can share speed loaders of .38's for my wife's snub nose in a 357 mag. As a matter of fact all the speed loaders are 38 special. The loaded chambers may have 357 mag but want no confusion with which speed loader works for which pistol in a pressure situation so all are .38 special.

smkummer
01-18-2020, 02:40 AM
The best feature of 357 is its use of 38 special. I have 4 bulk loadings of 4 different flavors of 38 special and one bulk loading reduced 357 lead loads.

Tatume
01-18-2020, 08:26 AM
The best feature of 357 is its use of 38 special.

While I'm not sure about "best," there is some merit to this statement. As a target shooter, I use lots of 38 Special ammo loaded with small charges of Bullseye. I'm a very careful loader, but stuff happens. A double charge might be noticed when fired in a 357 Magnum revolver, but probably won't damage the gun. I'm not so confident about my 38 Special revolvers. So, it is comforting to have the additional margin of safety.

bigted
01-18-2020, 09:19 AM
I have 3 357 mag revolvers and probably the favorite by a margin is my GP100. 4 inch and a tank. Great action and very controllable. Also have a Uberti 75 Remington that has been very neglected but fun shooter as well. Have Dads old Smith but have a hard time taking it out because of the pain of losing him still pretty harsh.

All in all tho, I like loading and shooting my 357 mags in ALL the power grades. Light loads are the fun target, tin can, rocks and small game load that seems to find their way into my guns the most.

Love my 45 Colts ... 44's ... of coarse the auto's ... but for all round use and economy ... overall usefullness ... and ease of shooting ... give me the old trusty 357 revolver.

Thanks for all the reply's. Good to be in great company. Prolly more exotic ... better job oriented rounds and guns ... but nuttin takes away from the ol standby.

6bg6ga
01-18-2020, 10:30 AM
I own a 686 357 S&W magnum. I also own a S&W 629 44 magnum and a 25-5 S&W 45LC. I enjoy them all. If I were to hunt it would be the 45LC or the 44 mag over the 357 but then that's just my preference because I'm a believer in bigger is probably better. If I were to shoot a bear then it would be a 44mag or 45LC. A mountain lion the same. Any of these calibers can be loaded in order to provide enjoyment in simple target shooting or massive recoil with mega damage with full blown loads. In other words if you enjoy recoil and punishment any of the three can provide that. I've made my hands sting many a time with a max 357 load.

35 Whelen
01-18-2020, 11:47 AM
I have four revolvers and a lever action carbine, all in .357. I shoot this caliber probably the least of all my revolver calibers, but if I were forced to choose just one caliber, it would definitely be the .357 and I'd keep one revolver and the carbine. Given the ability to shoot everything from light .38 loads to heavy .357's, firearms so chambered are among the most versatile on earth, in my opinion.

35W

375supermag
01-18-2020, 12:14 PM
Hi...
I own a fair number of handguns in a pretty fair cross section of calibers and shoot them all regularly.
I have six revolvers chambered in .357Mag and my son owns one, so we shoot seven different revolvers almost every week.
None of them has ever seen a .38Spl cartridge...ever.
I have other revolvers to shoot.38Spl cartridges.
We load our .357Mag revolvers from mid range 158gr LSWC and JHP, to top end 125gr JHP and 180gr JHP.
I don't know that the .357 would qualify as our favorite handgun cartridge although we shoot hundreds of rounds through them each range trip. We do the same with .41Mag, .44Spl, .44Mag, .45Colt as well as hundreds of rounds through9mm, 10mm and .45ACP handguns.

I guess what I'm saying is that we probably don't have a favorite handgun caliber. We shoot them all and enjoy each for it's unique characteristics. Vive la difference!

bigted
01-18-2020, 12:14 PM
I own a 686 357 S&W magnum. I also own a S&W 629 44 magnum and a 25-5 S&W 45LC. I enjoy them all. If I were to hunt it would be the 45LC or the 44 mag over the 357 but then that's just my preference because I'm a believer in bigger is probably better. If I were to shoot a bear then it would be a 44mag or 45LC. A mountain lion the same. Any of these calibers can be loaded in order to provide enjoyment in simple target shooting or massive recoil with mega damage with full blown loads. In other words if you enjoy recoil and punishment any of the three can provide that. I've made my hands sting many a time with a max 357 load.

I do not disagree with your sentiment in the least. Spent 15 years in the interior of Alaska where the grizz always have a bad temperament and hungry always. The wolves are mule deer size and run in packs of 20+ animals at times ... NEVER EVET did I pack a 357 when out in the brush up there for this exact reason. 200 pound wolves ... 800 to 1100 pound grizz and onery bull moose that can go 80 inch antler spread with a 1200 pound animal attached seem to make the 500 S&W a reasonable choice.

However ... after moving back to the lower 48 ... I see nothing that I would be afraid of to defend against nor hunt with a well loaded 180+ grain boolit runnin 1200 or so FPS. These thin n skinny animals down here are simply not tough enough to withstand a solid hit with such.

Again ... just my opinion.

375supermag
01-18-2020, 12:32 PM
I do not disagree with your sentiment in the least. Spent 15 years in the interior of Alaska where the grizz always have a bad temperament and hungry always. The wolves are mule deer size and run in packs of 20+ animals at times ... NEVER EVET did I pack a 357 when out in the brush up there for this exact reason. 200 pound wolves ... 800 to 1100 pound grizz and onery bull moose that can go 80 inch antler spread with a 1200 pound animal attached seem to make the 500 S&W a reasonable choice.

However ... after moving back to the lower 48 ... I see nothing that I would be afraid of to defend against nor hunt with a well loaded 180+ grain boolit runnin 1200 or so FPS. These thin n skinny animals down here are simply not tough enough to withstand a solid hit with such.

Hi...
Can't really argue with that sentiment.
I sometimes carry one of my .357s when hiking in southern Pennsylvania but when I hike in northern Pennsylvania I generally carry one of my .41, .44 or .45s. Some of the black bears in Pennsylvania top the scales over 800lbs and I prefer to err on the side of caution. I really do not know if a hard cast LSWC 158gr bullet will penetrate deep enough on a black bear of that size to save my decrepit old hide so I carry revolvers with heavier hard cast LSWC in somewhat larger diameters.
They would be just as effective on our growing coyote population and feral humans as my .357s would be

6bg6ga
01-18-2020, 12:39 PM

Point well taken. Smaller animals thus a smaller caliber. I'm one that shoots rattlesnakes with a 44 magnum you simply have to watch the pieces flying back when the snake breaks up upon impact.

Petander
01-18-2020, 04:17 PM
I like them all... It' s good to have options... but 357 is just so nice in size,too.

This pic is sort of missing a S&W 22LR Kit Gun which I don't have but will get before I turn 60!

https://i.postimg.cc/bw4hzBz8/IMG-20200118-220202-565.jpg

Drm50
01-18-2020, 04:53 PM
I’ve got a few 357s and they shoot very well. I have m19s & m27 S&Ws. They are ok but when you get right down to it if you are shooting a lot of 38Spec loads you don’t need a 357mg. I say 357 is minimum and marginal for deer size game and only at 100yds or less. I find 44 or 45 better choice all around. I think the only claim to fame for 357s are guns light enough for reasonable comfort in carry for law enforcement. Gives them magnum people shooter capability in K frame size.

LAH
01-18-2020, 11:57 PM
I have nothing against the 357 except the crack.

charlie b
01-19-2020, 10:01 AM
I am another .357 fan. Probably the most potent caliber that can be easily carried concealed. I also like that they are light enough when I am out fishing and hiking. Yep, it is limited on range when hunting. But, so are most pistols that you can easily carry in a side holster.

Never warmed up to the large pistols. Just not as easy to carry on the hip for me.

No, I don't visit big bear territory. If I did I'd want a .460 or .500 if I could not carry a rifle.

Kimber1911
01-19-2020, 10:30 AM
I have an older 586 6" and it is my favorite shooter, it is the only 357 I own.

tazman
01-19-2020, 10:46 AM
The only revolvers I own are chambered in 22LR, 38/357, and 9mm. I have several of the 22LR and several of the 38/357 but only one 9mm(S&W 929).
I used to own larger but can't handle the recoil anymore. My old friend Arthur has become a constant companion in my hands and wrists.

Petander
01-19-2020, 02:54 PM
I took a quick trip,just one box of 38's with a (new to me) Mod 14 today.

It's like a practise version of a "real 357", very enjoyable. Magtech 158 was grouping and ringing steel good. I shoot it to get brass...

bigted
01-19-2020, 09:41 PM
The only revolvers I own are chambered in 22LR, 38/357, and 9mm. I have several of the 22LR and several of the 38/357 but only one 9mm(S&W 929).
I used to own larger but can't handle the recoil anymore. My old friend Arthur has become a constant companion in my hands and wrists.

Arthur has visited my bones also. Last few years in AK I couldn't figure why my 4 inch 629 hurt so much when practicing with the 300 grain carry loads ... realized that my poor ol wrist bones and tendons were gettin worn out and those deep penetrators hurt very much to shoot. But till we moved back I carried it every step in the brush ... hunting and fishing.

Traded it off when we moved back to the lower 48.

My 45 Colts are still fun but I shoot light loads and light boolits mostly.

357 low speed up to medium speed are favorites and the occasional barn burner just to remember that fast heavy 357's DO have bite and I would and do feel good in the brush here carrying my GP 100 4 inch. It is a very comfy revolver to shoot and carry in a shoulder rig.

tazman
01-19-2020, 11:53 PM
I used to think that large magnum handguns were a lot of fun. I laughed when people said they killed on one end and maimed on the other. Not now.
I know my limits. 357 mag at full power is all I can comfortably shoot. I no longer need to test myself.

Boogieman
01-20-2020, 12:29 AM
Yep, got 3 357s, a 41 an a 44, burn a lot more Titegroup than 2400 these ays

arlon
01-20-2020, 12:58 AM
Have a few .357s, few favorites and can't really think of anything negative to say about any of them. I like the versatility for the reloader. I admit I have shot a lot more .38s in them than .357s but that's a big part of their appeal to me. I get two guns for the cost of one. I own a .270 too... (-:}

charlie b
01-20-2020, 09:28 AM
I used to think that large magnum handguns were a lot of fun. I laughed when people said they killed on one end and maimed on the other. Not now.
I know my limits. 357 mag at full power is all I can comfortably shoot. I no longer need to test myself.

LOL. Years ago I bought a Blackhawk in .45LC. I loved loading that thing up to max loads and shooting away with it. After a thousand rounds or so I noticed my wrist would hurt the next day. A few more outings and it got worse so started shooting mild loads.

About a month after that John Taffin printed his article on how shooting big revolvers almost crippled him.

Sold the Blackhawk and got a 9mm :)

The heaviest load I shoot these days is .357 and most of the time it is downloaded for practice. I do shoot some full bore at the end of each session to stay sharp and make sure the sights are where I want them.

trapper9260
01-20-2020, 09:38 AM
Have a few .357s, few favorites and can't really think of anything negative to say about any of them. I like the versatility for the reloader. I admit I have shot a lot more .38s in them than .357s but that's a big part of their appeal to me. I get two guns for the cost of one. I own a .270 too... (-:}

This also what I like about the 357 , also the 327 for all you can shoot in it. Then the 44mag

John Van Gelder
01-20-2020, 02:47 PM
I have carried, shot, hunted various game animals with the .357 for many years, my first .357 was a brand new Mod 28 back in 1965. I have taken everything from squirrels to moose. Using light .38 spl., loads you can harvest small game with less tissue destruction than high speed .22 LR ammo. The old Keith load 358429 over 13.5 gr. of 2400 in a .38 spl. case is good for anything in North America, if you do your part.

One of the best testimonials for the .357 is located here.. https://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/357magnum.htm

gordie
01-20-2020, 08:53 PM
Just sold my 40 yr. old mini-14 ... and got a Blackhawk in .357mag.. wish i would have kept that 1985 Trooper, but i was young then.

John Van Gelder
01-20-2020, 09:04 PM
gordie

" I feel your pain"..the Trooper was a very nice gun.

Petander
01-21-2020, 10:00 AM
As the title eludes to ... this is a comment on the 357 S&W magnum revolver's usefulness.

357 revolver's versatility to shoot 38 Special ammo has surprised me lately... I just recently got my first ever 38 - and I find myself shooting quite a lot of 38 wadcutters with my 357's now,too.

Even though I've been shooting 500's since they came out in 2003, I still bought a 22 LR revolver last year... I guess I just like them all. And blue wadcutters are just cool.

https://i.postimg.cc/mrLZ0J8r/IMG-20200119-223457-216.jpg

LAH
01-21-2020, 12:50 PM
I have carried, shot, hunted various game animals with the .357 for many years, my first .357 was a brand new Mod 28 back in 1965. I have taken everything from squirrels to moose. Using light .38 spl., loads you can harvest small game with less tissue destruction than high speed .22 LR ammo. The old Keith load 358429 over 13.5 gr. of 2400 in a .38 spl. case is good for anything in North America, if you do your part.

One of the best testimonials for the .357 is located here.. https://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/357magnum.htm

And JimTaylor is a 45 Colt man so his praise of the 357 should be noted.

John Van Gelder
01-21-2020, 03:05 PM
I have a very old mold that produces a 77 gr. wadcutter, I have probably taken more small game with that bullet in .38spl. cases in my various .357 magnum guns than I ever did with a .22lr. Back when I was a State Trooper in Alaska, we were issued mod 19 S&Ws, I always carried an extra six rounds of hard cast 358429 bullets with the standard Keith load of 13.5 gr. of 2400. These worked very well when I had to dispatch a moose that had been hit on the highway.

bob208
01-21-2020, 06:49 PM
my second center fire hand gun was a ruger Blackhawk 4 5/8 .357. I used skeeter and Elmer loads in .38 cases. best bullet was the 358429. I have shot everything from water skippers to deer with it. even confirmed ownership of my corvette one night. I still have it . it lives in the night stand by the bed now.

John Van Gelder
01-22-2020, 09:47 AM
I had a Blackhawk 4 5/8 .357 bought it back in the days before transfer bars and after the original flat tops. I had a load using the Keith bullet made of really soft alloy and 4.5 grains of 700X in .38 cases that load was really effective on woodchucks.

gordie
01-22-2020, 03:59 PM
I learned the hard way that Alliant 2400 & Hercules ? 2400, are not exactly the same...
had to take apart 100 rds..

Tatume
01-22-2020, 06:57 PM
I learned the hard way that Alliant 2400 & Hercules ? 2400, are not exactly the same...
had to take apart 100 rds..

I made the same claim a couple of years ago, and was corrected by a member here.

swheeler
01-22-2020, 08:10 PM
"357 Mag worship" yes sir at the altar!

rfd
01-22-2020, 08:33 PM
there is no "best" and hardly any "perfect" 'cept in the mind's eye of the beholder (or shooter/owner). it's all subjective in too many ways.

personally, i like my .38spl pistolos best of all, but have a soft spot for the .357mag and the .45acp. heck, i'll use'm all. ;)

John Van Gelder
01-23-2020, 10:36 AM
The only thing that is certain is that time passes, we get older and along with that comes arthritis, shooting 300-350 gr, bullets in my .44 and .45s is just not as much fun as it was. In reality anything one needs a hand gun for can be accomplished with a .38/.357 loaded with .38-44 loads (158gr. bullet at around 1100 fps)

rfd
01-23-2020, 10:55 AM
The only thing that is certain is that time passes, we get older and along with that comes arthritis, shooting 300-350 gr, bullets in my .44 and .45s is just not as much fun as it was. In reality anything one needs a hand gun for can be accomplished with a .38/.357 loaded with .38-44 loads (158gr. bullet at around 1100 fps)

yep, a total reality check for sure. don't get old, don't get debilitated, and keep packing a .357 or .45 - yeah, right. hah. doh.

John Van Gelder
01-23-2020, 11:27 AM
Something I have wanted to try is converting a 1911 to .38 spl. You have to use full wadcutters seated flush with the case mouth and do some re-springing, and a .38 spl barrel, everything else can stay the same..I think..???

NSB
01-23-2020, 01:34 PM
Something I have wanted to try is converting a 1911 to .38 spl. You have to use full wadcutters seated flush with the case mouth and do some re-springing, and a .38 spl barrel, everything else can stay the same..I think..???

SW wasn't the only company to make this kind of gun. The Coonan semi-autos were made in .357mag and would also shoot .38spl. I had two of the Coonan's and they were spectacularly accurate and fed with nary a hitch.

firefly1957
01-23-2020, 06:09 PM
In 1975 I bought my first handgun a S&W model 28 I used it to hunt and for work as a security guard have no idea how mant small criiters I got with it I never deer hunted with it . It was the first round I did a lot of experimenting with and third round I loaded Proceeded by 30-30 & 30-06 . My gun was very accurate with light bullets but shot heavier bullets terribly , I think that was because of the large cylinder to barrel gap it was .018" (should be .003-.006) . I settled on 110 grain hollow points and Aclan 8 powder the flash was terrible if fired in low light.
I made a terrible mistake and traded that gun towards a Ruger Security 6 in S.S. when they first came out I never really got along with the Ruger and right after i bought it bought a S&W model 29 . The Ruger .357 was given to my son over 15 years ago last summer i did get another 357 magnum. I was looking at a S&W model 27 but after dealing with S&W service personnel on a old Contender barrel and being lied to I bought a Taurus model 608. I really like the Taurus it shoots very well and has lower recoil then the 44 mag so follow up shots are faster ,I am still experimenting with the load I want to use been using both older factory bullet I had n hand and bullet I cast and swage .
One bullet I like is a 150 grain I swage from a cats wad cutter I make a deep hollow point in it with a T-30 torx bit then form a nose pushing it into a .223 die . The bullet loaded to 1350 f/s opens well normally shedding the petals and a 50 grain base penetrates deeply .
Only thing it has killed was way over kill when i shot a possum in the garden .

John Van Gelder
01-23-2020, 06:22 PM
I have had a number of 28s over time and got good results with 170 gr. bullets. I just sold a 4" 28 last summer, I still have a 4" 19 and a 6" 28. Here is a picture of a bear I killed with the 4" 28 .255234

The load was 7 gr. of Unique in a .357 case and a med alloy 358429, 173gr., in my alloy.

Rodfac
01-25-2020, 11:11 PM
Good post by Charlie B:
.357 fan. Probably the most potent caliber that can be easily carried concealed. .... they are light enough when I am out fishing and hiking.... limited on range when hunting. But, so are most pistols that you can easily carry in a side holster. My thoughts per-xactly, YMMv, Rod

Texas by God
01-26-2020, 12:46 AM
Something I have wanted to try is converting a 1911 to .38 spl. You have to use full wadcutters seated flush with the case mouth and do some re-springing, and a .38 spl barrel, everything else can stay the same..I think..???Colt made the Gold Cup for a time chambered for .38 Special Mid Range( wadcutter).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

John Van Gelder
01-26-2020, 11:00 AM
Texas by God

Over time there have been a number of semi autos chambered in .38 spl. This has been a "what if" thing for me for many years, back when I started shooting the .45ACP in 1964, the barrels and other parts to build a 1911 .38spl were more readily available. These days it is just easier to convert to 9mm or .38 Super. Some of the appeal of the .38 in a 1911 was the ability to shoot a lighter weight bullet. Last year I bought a 160 gr. .45 bullet mold, so the .38 spl. conversion is a bit further on the back of the stove.

jrayborn
02-23-2020, 08:39 PM
I've always thought .357 mag was a great choice for pretty much anything.

rfd
02-23-2020, 08:51 PM
I've always thought .357 mag was a great choice for pretty much anything.

yes it is, but no it's not for everyone.

Chad5005
02-23-2020, 09:42 PM
357 magnums are the most fired revolvers at my house on shooting days,22lrs get a few rounds,the 500s,480s and 454s always get a few rounds,all the 44s will get a few cylinders ran through them but the 357s get worn out.everbody from the inlaws to the kids and women keep the 3 sa rugers and the gp 100 warm to the touch.although I do like 357mag its not my carry gun,im normally toting a tuarus pt 145 or a tuarus raging bull judge in 454

bigted
02-23-2020, 11:07 PM
I have had 38's and 357's in the stable forever. My fondest memory has to be the following ...

Working the Wyoming oil fields in 79/80 , we got layed off when they stacked out all the rigs. Partner and myself began working up in the south pass area way up on top cutting pine posts for a rancher. Lived in a cabin tent that summer and not wanting to go to town much, I hunted with my Ruger Security Six loaded with 38 special lead round nose. These fed us squirrel, grouse and rabbits on a steady diet. I killed a pronghorn with it down closer to the valley and pit cooked the whole thing over a fire.

This has to be one of the best memories I have with a handgun. Several run competition but none are equal to it.

Colorado and a blackhawk 45 Colt with Lee hammer together ammo being rite up there but the Wyoming summer of 80 with my 357 loaded with those 38's stay's tops.

Yepper .. 357's remain in the stable for this pilgrim. Tons o fun!

Petander
02-25-2020, 05:36 PM
I was checking out a nice 6" 686 today, no dash,no "M".

Perfect function. Very,very good accuracy with Magtech " flat" FMF 357 factory ammo. I"m afraid I have to consider purchase... those little claybird fractures just disappeared from 25 meters...

https://i.postimg.cc/x14XqcqS/IMG-20200225-204000-956.jpg

USSR
02-25-2020, 06:51 PM
Petander,

I spend a lot of time in Eastern Ukraine where firearms ownership is nonexistent, but in looking at all your guns I may have to make a trip to Finland.:smile:

Don

Petander
02-25-2020, 09:13 PM
Petander,

I spend a lot of time in Eastern Ukraine where firearms ownership is nonexistent, but in looking at all your guns I may have to make a trip to Finland.:smile:

Don

Haha...

Things have been getting more and more complicated here,too. But I'm being active in various gun sports and competitions,it helps with bureaucracy.

Revolvers are completely out of fashion here,our prices are less than half US prices. When people finally get a handgun permit they want to shoot practical with hi cap pistols.

I've been selling mine away,looking for accurate revolvers instead. Old? Maybe but I like it.

roverboy
02-27-2020, 04:33 AM
I've been a big fan of .357 for about 30 years. Shot 110 gr. to 193 gr. in handloads.

Petander
02-27-2020, 10:32 AM
I'm addicted.

These keep popping up and are hard to ignore... again this is not my gun but I was allowed to check it out. A 4" 586-1 in good condition. M-stamp,too. Accuracy is there,feel and function are great.

I like these original grips very much,they fit my large hands like a good glove.

https://i.postimg.cc/52J6cHt9/IMG-20200227-161203-630.jpg

bigted
06-10-2020, 12:40 PM
A little old ... however here is my next trip with the 357;

Bought a mount and cheaper scope for my 6 inch GP100. Cast some 125 Lee swc and 158 Lee swc then powder coated then Ford blue. Then sized them at what the cylinder throats want ... .357 inch

Loaded these with IMR 4227 to a velocity of 1300 for the 125's and 1100 for the 158's. A little aside here ... the first cylinder of these 4227 rounds left my gun unable to close. Putzing around I finally found that powder kernals had dropped under the ejector star and held it up enough that the cylinder would not close. Wondering what other powder is cleaner AND still give the excellent performance of the IMR 4227 .

Wanting to see if I could get any kinda groups from a solid rest at 10 yards, I began with the 125 loads ... gleefully all 5 of the first rounds were 6 inch low and 1 inch left but ... ALL 5 IN THE SAME HOLE.

Centering the group I shot another 5 shot group and these also all went into one hole.

Moving to 25 yards I expected them to open but was very pleased to find that the 125's still cut a raged hole of 1 inch for 5.

Switching to my 158 grain loads I shot another 5 and WALLA ... same accuracy.

I feel like a shooter again with this scopes help. A 2X power Center Mark. Very excited with the mighty 357 and know I need to stretch it to 50 yds ... but thats the next chapter.

Just needed to share my exciting next page in 357 Mag revolver.

Now to obtain a good glass for it. Maybe a Leopold 2X.

Cosmic_Charlie
06-13-2020, 10:35 AM
I've been tempted by that 8 shot that S&W came out with.

tazman
06-13-2020, 07:46 PM
I've been tempted by that 8 shot that S&W came out with.

I have one of the 7 shot 686+ models. It is an excellent shooter with either jacketed or cast. I would say, go for it.

Rainier
06-21-2020, 12:33 AM
bigted -
I ran into a similar challenge with IMR4227 in the .357 while shooting a GP100 (4 inch version). Unfired powder got under the crane and when I closed the cylinder, the cylinder face jammed into the forcing cone and locked the gun up. There was a good crimp, Winchester primer etc... As much as I love 4227 in .44 Mag and several rifle cartridges it just doesn't seem to play well with the .357 Mag.
Since that day I've stuck with 2400, W296, VV N110 and even W231 - I've found you can find a pretty accurate load with any of those powders and not have unburnt kernels lounging about causing a stoppage. The published load of 15.0gr of N110 with a small rifle primer under a 160gr boolit makes an exciting and accurate round to shoot ��

mickbr
06-21-2020, 07:34 PM
big fan of it, just a bit loud for me as is, so I put it in a lever gun

Dapaki
06-21-2020, 08:39 PM
My Dan Wesson: 263962

Win94ae
06-21-2020, 10:44 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XP3aKN_CkIQ

I love my 357s!

Cosmic_Charlie
06-24-2020, 04:27 AM
I like the fact that you can load up a bunch of swaged hbwc with three grains of Bullseye and have fun plinking or pesting. Just tried some 158 swc powder coated over 6 gr. Unique yesterday with my 5" Model 27. I powder coat and size them to .357 because the cylinder throats are tight. They worked very well and are more satisfying to shoot than the hbwc target loads. Other than 9mm and .22, I shoot .357 the most.

Cosmic_Charlie
06-24-2020, 04:45 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XP3aKN_CkIQ

I love my 357s!

Like that long barrel on the 686.

pocketace
08-09-2020, 09:34 PM
its the Chevy Impala of the handgun world. All the gun you need, all the gun you want, and 80% of women can fit in the back seat with you... and just enough room in the back seat for the old "struggle buggy" to keep its reputation intact.

every time i watch old videos of the FBI academy doing handgun training with REVOLVERS.. its relaxing and enjoyable, and the officers give a sense of intelligence and seem decent. The videos with m16s and semi autos,,,, key stone cops for some reason and sour the taste buds.

Thumbcocker
08-10-2020, 11:05 AM
You tube has video of an Indiana State Police trooper using a 686 and speed loaders that is pure poetry.

JohnRoc65
08-12-2020, 04:28 PM
I truly love shooting my three revolvers in .357 magnum.

I own a Ruger NM Blackhawk 5.5" convertible in .357/.38/9mm, a S&W Model 65-4 with a 4" barrel and 2.25" Ruger SP101 Wiley Clapp.

Each one gives me a slightly different shooting experience just to keep things interesting.

Thunder Stick
08-13-2020, 12:21 AM
My pair in .357 magnum. They have served me well for years. A 6.5” Ruger Blackhawk and a JM 1894C Marlin. They have made the .357 magnum my favorite cartridge to shoot and to reload.

https://i.imgur.com/rJbbIGg.jpg

bigted
08-14-2020, 08:37 PM
Awsome postings

murf205
08-17-2020, 09:54 PM
Is the 357 useful? You bet it is simply because everybody can't handle the recoil of a bazooka caliber. Besides that, they are made in some of the most "totable" frame sizes every made. Load then with 180 gr boolits and they have a bunch of power. I am like Petander, when it comes to L frame S&W revolvers. Super accurate to boot. Don't get me wrong, the 44's, 45's and 454's have their place and when you need a big'un, yuou REALLY need it but not everyday, for me anyway.266365266366

That 686 with the scope thinks it's a rifle!

Sparhawk
08-21-2020, 02:43 PM
I LOVE my S&W model 686. Accurate and fun to shoot! 6" full lug barrel and a 4" barrel that I used to carry when I was a Loomis Fargo guard. I'll NEVER part with them!!

Sparhawk
08-21-2020, 02:44 PM
Beautiful!!!!

samari46
08-23-2020, 01:07 AM
Have two. One is an old Colt Trooper MKIII and the other is a Marlin 1894 in 357. The colt likes some older S&B 158 grain soft points and I'd have to dig out my loading notes to see what it likes. Don't shoot either as much as I should. Frank