PDA

View Full Version : How to darken a ramrod?

Regular Joe
01-13-2020, 10:22 PM
I have an oak ramrod from TOW that's stained what I call red oak. I need to darken it to match a TC walnut stock a little better. Is there an easy way to darken it without totally refinishing it?

Gtek
01-13-2020, 10:35 PM
Dark Brown leather stain from Michaels craft store? Maybe too dark? Try little spot near end hid in stock.

waksupi
01-14-2020, 11:37 AM
Leather dye will work, assuming the ramrod isn't too oily. I use ferric nitrate on new rods to darken them. You would do yourself a favor to find a split hickory ramrod if you want it to last.

pietro
01-14-2020, 06:41 PM

If you're patient enough, and your RR doesn't split during use (why it's recommended a RR be made by splitting wood ILO turning one like a dowel), it should darken naturally from use.

Although YMMV, I always allow my RR's and brass stock furniture darken into an aged patina, much preferring the patina to a shiny gloss.

John Boy
01-14-2020, 07:05 PM
I need to darken it to match a TC walnut stock a little better.

Burnt Umber ... https://www.earthpigments.com/burnt-umber-pigment/

Buzzard II
01-14-2020, 07:47 PM
John Boy,
I'm not familiar with this product, Burnt Umber, is it a powder and how do you use it? Thank you.
Bob

Regular Joe
01-14-2020, 10:13 PM
My bad, it is a hickory rod, but it's somewhat red in color from their stain. I'll try the leather stain. Thanks y'all.

Gtek
01-15-2020, 12:32 AM
Give it a good wet Acetone bath first.

bedbugbilly
01-19-2020, 12:05 PM
Are you sure it's oak - my guess it's hickory . . . .

a leather dye is a good suggestion if you're trying to match the stock color . . .

On a good straight grain hickory ramrod, if I wanted it darkened up for one of my rifle builds, I would take a propane torch and gently darken it with the flame - not scorch it. Then I would rub in a number of coats of BLO.

I have also used an old-timer's suggestion that was at one time printed in the Dixie Gun Works Catalog back in the early 60s. Soak the ramrod in coal oil. It won't darken a hickory ramrod but it will certainly provide a durable finish. Once I hd a rifle built and the ramrod fitted, I would just slide it in to a 4' length of 1 1/2 PVC Schedule 40 capped on one end - putin the ramrod and fill the PVC up with coal oil and slide a cap on the top end and lean up in a corner in the shop. Let it sit for a few weeks and then rub down with steel wool and more coal-oil followed by sitting aside to dry - optional coat of BLO thinned down with "real" turpentine. That process gives the hickory ramrod a nice "patina" but it's not going to match a stained stock.

flyingmonkey35
01-19-2020, 12:34 PM
Go shoot with it.

Your dirty grubby blackpoweder reside hands will fix it right up

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

LAGS
01-19-2020, 08:18 PM
I like to burn my ramrod over a candle flame and make it have a little more detail.
Sort of like a Candle Camo pattern.

too many things
01-20-2020, 04:09 AM
you should have black walnuts there try the husk

10 ga
01-26-2020, 08:10 PM
Wood stain, naturally - use some coffee, or perhaps some tea. Tea tends to be a bit on the red side. Coffee works good, fresh or stale. Sumac bark or walnut or hickory nut husks - chopped up and soaked makes good stain too, and is very traditional. 10

freedom475
01-28-2020, 12:46 PM
A torch works wonders.