PDA

View Full Version : Herter's Dies Parts

jimkim
11-13-2008, 03:26 PM
I have a Herters primer swaging die body. I have neither the pin nor the base. I want to use it as a universal de-primer. Will Redding parts fit this die? I believe the thread size is 1/2-20 NF.

Pavogrande
11-14-2008, 12:05 AM
My herters primer swager is !/2-20, my CH 11mm mauser size/decap is also 1/2 - 20 - I think there are other dies that use 1/2-20 decap rods and adapters -- The herter die is considerably longer though and a universal decap rod may be too short ----
My ha-penny

jimkim
11-14-2008, 09:36 AM
I might end up getting one for a 300 H&H or a 460 WM. I have never owned any Herter's dies until now. Most of them are missing parts. I thought for $12.00 it was still a good deal. I got the 30-06 dies I wanted. The rest is gravy. These dies are designed in a way that you could use the same body and both size and seat just by unscrewing the pin and replacing it with a bullet seater. Here is what I bought. I didn't get the 308 Winchester thing so I called him and he is sending me a set of Pacific 30-30 dies. Mr Sager is a good man to deal with. I think the 38 special sizer was reamed out to size 44X2-1/4. It might be big enough to size 45-70's.

"FOR BID IS A PILE OF USED DIES ONE IS A PACIFIC SIZING DIE IN 30-06 AND ONE IN SEATING A 06, BODY OF A 30-06 MILITARY PRIMER SWAGING DIE, A HERTERS 6.5-257 SIZING DIE W/O EXPANDERA HERTERS 348 SEAT AND CRIMP DIE NO STEM, A HERTERS 38 SPL. SIZING DIE WITH A SEATER INSERTERD IN IT,BASE OD A POWDER TRICKLERA UN NAMED OAL GAUGE FOR A 44X2-1/4" SHELL3 DIE RINGS ALSO 308 WINCHESTER CALIBER IT IS COMPLETE WITH SHELL HOLDER AND PAPER WORK"

Pavogrande
11-15-2008, 12:03 AM
Sort of confusing to me -- My point was that the herter 06 primer swage die is longer than a standard herter or other rifle die -- It actually is three pieces, die body - which you have - a screw in post of nominal 5/16" diameter that is long enough to reach the bottom of the die - and a very short primer swage nib that fits into a #1 shellholder -- The bare die could possibly be used as a decap if the rod is long enough -- Herters made several types of dies over the years, including sets that featured a die body with inserts to change calibers - they work ok but no better than the standard die - Herter was sort of the Lee of the 50's -60's but without any humility -- Ole george leonard herter was a practiced self promoter -- Stuff was usually good and inexpensive -- Herter press $12 -- RCBS/Pacific $25-45 or more. Herter dies $4 - RCBS/ pacific/ch/lachmiller etc $10-15