PDA

View Full Version : shipping powder

Tad Houston
11-13-2008, 12:19 PM
Can I legally ship gun powder in large quantities to another member here?

Thanks

Shiloh
11-13-2008, 01:02 PM
Call Powder Valley to get the particulars.

http://www.powdervalleyinc.com/

There will be a HAZMAT on top of shipping. I know Jeff Bartlett Has shipped 48 lbs at a time.

http://www.gibrass.com/

Shiloh

Scrounger
11-13-2008, 01:10 PM
Can I legally ship gun powder in large quantities to another member here?

Thanks

No. Only a professionally certified and licensed HazMat shipper can do that and he will charge you dearly for his services, as well as the HazMat fee and normal shipping charges. If you are brave enough, you can ship it illegally. Enclose it in 4 or 5 layers of plastic bags to keep any odors from escaping, and ship it UPS. Unless it is a large amount of powder, it is not worth the cost of shipping it legally. You yourself must judge whether or not it is worth the possible cost of shipping it illegally.

Bullshop
11-13-2008, 01:50 PM
We had a private commercial carrier deliver right to my door 500,000 primers last year.
Shipping was free from seller for the quantity. It was delivered by Pacific Alaska Forwarders. This of cource was done legally in acordance with haz-mat laws.
I think it may now be legal to ship via UPS to Alaska as they have informed us that they now carry to Alaska via UPS ground service where it used to be only air service.
Going by what I have learned from buying mil-surp they can ship up to 4/8lb jugs in one certified haz-mat container (heavy duty box) but can carry multiple boxes.
A comercial freight carrier can palatise any amount up to thier weight limit per pallet. We were given a weight limit of 700 lbs per pallet from one freight handler. When trucking haz-mat this way the trucks are restricted to haz-mat routs that by-pass city centers. Anybody that has done any traveling by car has seen these signs when aproaching populated areas. If a comercial haz-mat carrier added $10.00 per keg to deliver a dozen or so kegs to the total that would be fine with me.
BIC/BS

Blammer
11-13-2008, 03:30 PM
tad, short answer, NO

Tad Houston
11-13-2008, 11:20 PM
Thanks guys

georgeld
11-30-2008, 03:32 AM
A few yrs ago I was shipping prairie dog heads to a skull buyer.
There was a new girl at UPS here in Pueblo, that flat insisted she HAD to inspect the contents. I'd explained to her what was in the boxes and the freezer had been unplugged a week and they stunk to high heavens.

But, she insisted. So I told her to go ahead but SHE had to reseal the boxes too. The old time gal just grinned at me and walked to the other end of the warehouse/garage.

Knowing what was going to happen I slid the trash can over next to her. She asked: "why'd you do that" "for your lunch to go in rather than the floor". "oh".

Count on it!!!! I walked to the door for the fresh air coming in and so I wouldn't have to watch.

I'd been shipping them like that a box a month or so for a couple yrs so the older gal knew I was serious and never did inspect them.

I also told this girl to lets get the paperwork and payment taken care of ahead of time. Surprizingly she cooperated there. THe boxes were marked: Frozen taxidermy materials" as I was instructed by the buyer.

I got the check for them, so she must have gotten them resealed somehow. Oh man was she sick!!

I'd never try to ship anything illegal just because their policy is to inspect all contents. Best not to tempt them to report you tried to ship powder. I understand such things can be mighty costly if you're caught.