PDA

View Full Version : 'Smith J frame cylinder pin removal..which direction

Throckmorton
01-12-2020, 03:37 PM
clockwise or the other way ? I've tried both, with leather over the tip, she's TIGHT.
Figured knowing the right way to turn might help some

thanks !

DougGuy
01-12-2020, 03:41 PM
Threads are left handed. I put the ejector rod/cylinder pin in a vise between oak blocks and snug them GOOD. Loosen by turning the cylinder like you were tightening a standard bolt. I guess if you are looking down on the back of the cylinder, you would turn it clockwise to remove, counter clockwise to re-install.

Petrol & Powder
01-13-2020, 06:54 PM
Left hand threads and always put some empty casings in the chambers (charge holes to use S&W parlance).

megasupermagnum
01-13-2020, 08:28 PM
Left hand threads and always put some empty casings in the chambers (charge holes to use S&W parlance).

What do the empty cases do? I've never done that when I remove mine.

DougGuy
01-13-2020, 08:37 PM
Empty cases prevent all the torque of loosening and tightening the rod from bearing on the two small pins that keep the extractor star indexed on cylinders fitted with pins, others have a square tab that fits in a groove in the rod, others have a flat which aligns with the corresponding flat in the cylinder, empty cases will prevent breaking the tab or burring up the rod.

megasupermagnum
01-13-2020, 08:46 PM
I never thought of that, I'll be sure and do that in the future.

Treetop
01-13-2020, 11:50 PM
Once again, DougGuy and Petrol and Powder are exactly right! They, among others, are truly a blessing to our Cast Boolit community! Treetop