PDA

View Full Version : New way to dislodge a stuck boolit.

BrutalAB
01-12-2020, 10:40 AM
Tested a dummy round last night and the boolit got stuck. The case came out but boolit remained.

Through a series of events over the past couple years i currently do not have a cleaning rod, got a snake type cleaner. So i start thinking up ways to get this boolit out.

I got nothing that will fit inside the barrel and reach the boolit. But what i do have is an air compressor and tape. Lots of tape.

So i was always told, 'work smarter not harder'

So lets let the machine do the work.

I put a sprayer tool in the muzzle and seal it up with about a quarter a roll of electrical tape and about a yard of duck tape. Then follow up with another quarter roll of electrical tape.

Compressor is cranked up all the way to 150 which is its max.

Its the Moment of truth.
I pull the trigger of the sprayer.
The tape seal holds, no leaks.

.... no movement of boolit.
About 2 seconds later the sprayer tool is the weak point in this operation and air is leaking from the handle.

I am slightly surprised the tape was not the first failing point, it actually holds its own for about 5 seconds, 10 to 15 if i hold it with my hand.

Buying a cleaning rod today after work.

Sorry boys, woulda been a great new trick.

arlon
01-12-2020, 10:55 AM
I went to the local hardware store a long time ago and got several 3ft long brass rods in various diameters. I cut a 10" off of all of them to make "range rods" for my handguns and left the long sections for rifles. I slug all the bores of old service rifles so I know what to cast for them. Rods are great for that and 4 different brass rods was cheaper than a single cleaning rod. Brass is also a lot stronger than an aluminum rod but still isn't going to hurt any rifling.

nagantguy
01-12-2020, 11:12 AM
I went to the local hardware store a long time ago and got several 3ft long brass rods in various diameters. I cut a 10" off of all of them to make "range rods" for my handguns and left the long sections for rifles. I slug all the bores of old service rifles so I know what to cast for them. Rods are great for that and 4 different brass rods was cheaper than a single cleaning rod. Brass is also a lot stronger than an aluminum rod but still isn't going to hurt any rifling.

This- was show this by a older gent who came to my rescue when I had a squib lodge in the barrel of my 03A3

HollowPoint
01-12-2020, 12:10 PM
It sounds like your stuck bullet is only lodged into the lands right where the ogive of the bullet would initially make contact with the rifling. I've had this happen to me too. Fortunately I had other bullets of smaller bore size that I used to dislodge my stuck bullet.

It took several tries but I just kept dropping the smaller bore bullets down the muzzle and letting them eventually tap the stuck bullet back and out of the chamber. Yours may be jammed in there alot harder than mine but if you have something like a short length of brass rod with a bit more weight to it than a cast lead bullet, that might do the trick. Just let gravity knock that stuck bullet out.

HollowPoint

Flailguy
01-12-2020, 12:18 PM
I use an undersized steel rod with 2 bands of electrical tape so that only the tape touches the rifling and tap it out.

CastingFool
01-12-2020, 12:20 PM
I carry a 5/16" diameter brass rod, 9" long in my range bag.

country gent
01-12-2020, 12:33 PM
The otis cable cleaning kits used to do a demonstration of pushing a stuck bullet out of a barrel with their cable cleaning kits. Was a neat technique with a special tip on the cable. You just start "tapping" lightly and the special tip loosens the bullet pretty soon its moving and then out. I have several brass rods made for this also.

SSGOldfart
01-12-2020, 01:03 PM
Yep I've tried the same thing with a muzzleloader, finally the bullet gave up and came out.

BrutalAB
01-12-2020, 01:08 PM
The tape around the cleaning rod is how i have done this in the past.
Will try the smaller boolits next time, i screwed that up this time.

Im gonna have to look up that cable method. Sounds neat.

Conditor22
01-12-2020, 02:48 PM
I use steel rods covered with electrical shrink tubing.

In my experience Oversized boolits that get stuck when chambering generally aren't in there/stuck that tight. A regular sectional cleaning rod with a brass cleaning jag with the tit cut off generally does it with w few taps.

country gent
01-12-2020, 03:41 PM
Look at the otis web site they may have a video of it there.

A few years ago we had 3-4 guys at the club that would stick bullets every time they went out. I made a slide hammer type pusher from brass for this with a 12" rod .300 dia and a 1lb sliding weight. The weight has 2" travel to give a good tap. ( I got tired of them borrowing rods and beating them up from other members) I actually made 3 one for a frend one for the pistol range at the club and one for my pistol box. Not hard to make and is easier to handle than rod hammer and gun together