PDA

View Full Version : Anybody dinked with nickle plating buckshot?

MBTcustom
01-11-2020, 08:24 PM
BPI sells nickle plated buckshot. I love em but I don't want a kiss on the back of my ear.
I wonder how this would work.

Reverend Al
01-12-2020, 04:43 AM
I haven't tried it yet, but I want to try powder coating some buckshot instead of plating it. I powder coated some sabot slugs just to see if they would be visible in flight. Haven't had a chance to load them yet and find out!

https://i.imgur.com/AIBAaLI.jpg

megasupermagnum
01-12-2020, 08:03 PM
I believe BPI's nickel plated shot is good. Some companies will get you by nickel plating very soft junk lead. Nothing nickel plated comes close to casting your own shot and water dropping, so I don't use it anymore.

Apocalypse
01-13-2020, 11:07 AM
Please explain:

... I don't want a kiss on the back of my ear ...

gpidaho
01-13-2020, 01:03 PM
I cast my own buckshot and powder coat it. With the plated shot and shipping cost, price per shot gets to be more than it's worth for me. Gp

MBTcustom
01-13-2020, 06:53 PM
Please explain:

It's very expensive.

MBTcustom
01-13-2020, 06:55 PM
I cast my own buckshot and powder coat it. With the plated shot and shipping cost, price per shot gets to be more than it's worth for me. Gp

Exactly. That's what I'm doing now too. I'm curious though, How sweet would buckshot be if it were cast of premium metal and then nickle plated? I've never messed with nickle plating before, but it sounds interesting.

megasupermagnum
01-13-2020, 07:59 PM
Exactly. That's what I'm doing now too. I'm curious though, How sweet would buckshot be if it were cast of premium metal and then nickle plated? I've never messed with nickle plating before, but it sounds interesting.

To be honest, when comparing magnum Lawrence lead shot to BPI nickel plated shot, both #5, I couldn't tell any difference. Both shot within a couple pellets of each other (inside a 10" circle) in my turkey gun. Same with buckshot, the BPI super buck seems to pattern exactly the same as BPI nickel plated buck. Both loads were in a shot cup, so that may have made a difference. I've never tried nickel plated 000, but my quenched cast shot shoots tighter than BPI super buck.