PDA

View Full Version : Protective coatings for Rowell #5 Ladle

Boosted98gsx
01-11-2020, 05:23 PM
So I have a couple bottom pour ladles that are a few years old, and have developed some surface oxidation. When I try to pour with them, they create more dross in my molten alloy and it's becoming a pain to get it all out before I can pour.

Does anyone know if Cerakote or some other ceramic coating can work to help protect the ladle and prolong its lifespan in storage / performance while casting?

Mk42gunner
01-11-2020, 07:33 PM
No idea on the ceramic coatings, but have you tried just oiling the ladle after use?

Robert

Boosted98gsx
01-11-2020, 07:36 PM
Well they're already oxidizing so I will likely need to blast them, but yes I should probably oil them. I would rather have a more permanent long term solution though.

lightman
01-13-2020, 11:33 AM
I can't think of anything. Bead or sand blasting it and keeping oil on it in storage is about it.

Boosted98gsx
01-13-2020, 11:40 AM
I can't think of anything. Bead or sand blasting it and keeping oil on it in storage is about it.

I asked RotoMetals what they do, and they said they blast and high temp paint theirs. I wonder if there's any reason why Cerakote (esp the super high temp exhaust ones) wouldn't work....?