PDA

View Full Version : aluminum bedding blocks

ndhole
11-13-2008, 05:48 AM
What's your opinion of putting aluminum bedding blocks in a factory or replacement stock that doesn't have them? Does it really make that much of a difference in accuracy?

I have a synthetic thumbhole stock I picked up at a gunshow for my rem 700 adl 270 win. It isn't marked anywhere so I don't have a clue who made it but I'm having some accuracy issues I didn't have with the wooden stock. The barrel is free floated but I think the action isn't seating solid enough when I tighten it down and with the recoil that it's shifting. I've seen the aluminum blocks you can mount in the stock after drilling it out which is supposed to hold the action more solidly and was wondering if this, along with some glass bedding, would help and greatly improve my accuracy.

It looks like they're 1/2" or so aluminum round stock drilled out and I thought they would be easy enough to make with a drill press, drill press vise and files to get the action fit right. What type/hardness of aluminum would be best to use if I decided to go that route?

Nobade
11-13-2008, 09:02 AM
If it is an injection molded plastic stock, don't waste your time with it. No epoxy is going to stick to it, and you'll just frustrate yourself. If it is a composite stock i.e. fiberglass, or carbon fiber and epoxy, then you can pillar bed it. Go to www.probed2000.com and watch the bedding presentation if you like.

scrapcan
11-13-2008, 11:14 AM
ndhole,

rems can be interesting when you take them out of the facotry stock. The factory stock has a small pressure point in the tip of the fore end. Check your original wood stock to see if it had this pressure point. If it did you may need to go back and work up your loading with the floated barrel.

I can't help you on the bedding block, but I can say that pillar bedding may help you out and if you watch the video suggested by Nobade you will have a good idea of where to go.

fourarmed
11-13-2008, 03:55 PM
Properly done, glass bedding will take care of your problem better than aluminum, unless the aluminum is a PERFECT fit to YOUR rifle and stock. I have been told by a pro that Acraglas with plenty of floc and Devcon steel are the two best bedding compounds from the standpoint of hardness and lack of shrinkage. He also uses a couple of coats of Johnson paste wax as release agent - again from a standpoint of fit. I really don't see that much to be gained with the pillars, unless you are working with a pretty soft stock, like some of the older foam-filled synthetics, or a wood stock that has gotten spongy.

unclebill
11-13-2008, 07:22 PM
i fabricated a brass pillar and glass bedded a 22 last year.
it is very solid.

largom
11-14-2008, 08:28 AM
Steel bedding the recoil lug will do more for you than anything else. Use Brownell's Steel Bed or Devcon. The bedding wil not stick to some Syn. stocks but if you rough it up good with lots of gouges and opposeing angled recesse's it will hold.
Larry