PDA

View Full Version : Sights for BPCR

Lumpie
11-13-2008, 04:26 AM
I am not an expert sights, however I find it quite amazing to see some of the guys that I shoot with spend thousands on a rifle, and put a $50.00 sight on them. I read on this forum about almost everthing that you could think of. Guys buy a custom rifle, and can not get it to shoot for sour apples. Then when asked if they had slugged the barrel, they say its too imposing. Make lube from everthing from rabbit dung, to paste wax. Make their bullets from anything they can find. Ie old batteries fish sinkers, and almost anyother thing that will melt. Never have a thought if they can replicate their process, involving synthesis or artficial modifications. I am not intending to step on anyones toes, just expressing some Brain tumor induced thoughts. I can not cast now. Doctors say that this might speed up my demise. I have done this for over fifty years. I don't ever recall using wheel weights to make bullets, but if I did it was long ago. If any of you guys can look at this as humor to make myself think of something other than my condition, I would ask only for your prayers. If you are interested in some quality Tang sights, and windage ajustable front sights, call Mr Tom Chase at (405) 635-0101 His sights were the talk of this years Quigley Shoot. He lives In Oklahoma City Okla. Lumpie

montana_charlie
11-13-2008, 01:18 PM
I tend to think along the same lines, Lumpie.
It also makes me tighten up when the guy you described finally crows about the great group he got yesterday...3 inches at 25 yards.
CM

Gellot Wilde
11-14-2008, 05:02 AM
Yeah, it's a worldwide thing I guess, still takes some understanding though.

Idaho Sharpshooter
11-16-2008, 03:13 AM
well...

I do hope you don't look down your nose too hard at those of us who are financially challenged and have to make do with wheel weights. Melted in 200lb lots they work okay. I did manage to kill two buffalo the last five years using them in my Shiloh 45-70. Same alloy in my '86 50-110 on the third one. With a paper patched bullet the alloy does not seem to be critical. As of July 1st of 2011 there will be no more lead alloy wheel weights allowed on cars in the US. Another thank you to that lop eared ******* from Texas.

Rich

Bear Claw
11-16-2008, 10:17 AM
Lumpie, I do understand where you are coming from, and I will put you in my dailies w/ the almighty,,, And yes your right the folks in this sport tend to be inventive but frugal, I doubt you stepped on anyone's toes...........

CM, I think most of us wonder about those 25yrd groups, but then I wonder , what if we were all on the same level of knowledge, you or I or anyone for that matter would have nothing to offer, I have read a lot of your posts and you are Informed, knowledgeable, inventive, but I think you are impatient with beginners, humans preform each according to their own abilities.

Rich opinions vary but my .02 is this,, I have done the ww thing and bought the High dollar lead,,,Now I love to shoot and I cast for a lot of calibers so I am back to ww and I don't feel like I am sacrificing anything so do your best with what you have...

I do not intend to offend if I did I am sorry, please take this as it was meant,
friendly conversation

runnin lead
11-16-2008, 11:14 AM
I don't have any $50 Sights but the $ 100 sights that came with my Italian sharps
fell apart at my first match. I then bought the $485 sights out of Montana
then I started thinking about what a PITA it was to change the sights back & forth
between my Italian & Montana rifle & bought a $200 Italian soule sight it drove me nuts It was resetting the windage all by it self on recoil take a shot do a sight corection & be where you were ,Drove my spotter nuts too.
Would I buy an other Italian rifle ? Yes Italian sights ? NO
Maybe I could put mr Italian sights on my .22 lowwall hope they can handle the recoil

Jim

Lumpie
11-16-2008, 01:43 PM
Well I see that I have achieved some what of my purpose. It was not my intent to look at anyone, in a negative way. I knew if a few replied to my post, then it would come out. First you will find out that the government is going to do away with lead based wheel weights. As we all know that when you cast up bullets, you strive for replication, and consistency. Futher more,most of us know that the bullet needs to fit the purpose in its entirety. Lead is always going to be with us? All of us use Electricity. If you will call up your utility, and ask, many times they will give you the scrap Nickel Babbit. 9 lbs lead, and 1 pound Nickel Babbit = The best alloy that can always be replicated. These metals will always be available to those that search it out? Ps. My purpose it not to be belligerent, but just get some to respond to the statements that I made. Its purpose is to get a marid of thought going. When we can strive for a common goal, we become more effective. When we are united in the thinking process, we all can enjoy more of the aspects of Casting, and Shooting! Lumpie

EDK
11-16-2008, 02:38 PM
You have a nicer electric utility than the one that I've worked for for the past 38 years...these SOBs don't give anything away! You can buy scrap by the pound, priced according to what it is on the market.

The various babbits are used in casting bearings....and "we don't do that anymore." We use a contractor who specializes in bearing casting and machining. I sure wish we did our own work...both for job security and access to the scrap that is machined out of a rebuilt bearing. 'Way back when I got a lot of that because the guy in charge was a friend and I had volunteered to work when no one else would on various occasions. (When you're paying $1000 a month child support, 16 hours of overtime/double time will cover a big piece of it!)

The Doe Run lead foundry is about 10 miles away. Supposedly you can buy lead at the going commercial rate plus a small surcharge(!) but I don't know the size of the ingots.

My solution was easier. Idaho told me about all the wheel weights he was getting and his turkey cooker smelter. I offered to trade his half of the motel bill at Quigley for 400+ pounds of nice clean ingots. Everyone got a deal.

:Fire::castmine::redneck:

montana_charlie
11-16-2008, 03:19 PM
I do hope you don't look down your nose too hard at those of us who are financially challenged and have to make do with wheel weights.
On the contrary. If a guy can get the good performance from ww alloy, he would be a fool to ignore it.
My peeve is over how different people define 'good performance'.

CM

kirb
11-16-2008, 07:58 PM
Mr Chase makes a great sight and is great to work with have to of his sight no problems.

Kirb

JSnover
11-16-2008, 08:32 PM
It's always a problem for new guys; shooters, mechanics, whatever. In the beginning we often try to cut corners looking for "entry level" equipment or buy the latest gadget because it's supposed to be so much better and cheaper than the tried and true methods. Even when the old hands try to steer us in the right direction we don't always listen until we've learned from a few mistakes.
Been there and done that.
Some of the best advice I got was to be consistent in the methods, the materials and the equipment. If it won't give consistent results, replace it, otherwise it's a complete waste.

JSnover
11-16-2008, 08:41 PM
Lee Shaver and Ron Heilman were making good sights at a good price, last time I checked. That still doesn't mean they're cheap. Took me a while but I learned how to shop for quality.

wills
11-16-2008, 09:09 PM
Ever take a look at the Ukrainian “Parts Unknown” sights?

John Boy
11-16-2008, 09:17 PM
Ever take a look at the Ukrainian “Parts Unknown” sights?
Wills - great sights but for all intensive purposes ... they are not to be had anymore. Even the Canadian Distributor can't be contacted

Mumblypeg
11-16-2008, 09:26 PM
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten...

John Boy
11-17-2008, 10:06 PM
Would I buy an other Italian rifle ? Yes Italian sights ? NO
OK - True Confession Time ...
I have Pedersoli Mid Range - Long Range or LR Soule on 8 rifles. Four of them, I use to shoot BPC Long Range, like 200 - 300 - 400 - 500 meter. 600 - 800 - 900 and 1000 yards

I'm also a non-rated NRA shooter too. But I can knock Ram silhouettes over with ease (500m) using 38-55's and hit 10" and 20"circles at 1000yds with a 45-70:
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd220/Meadowmucker/Ridgway%20Oct%202008/PDRM3577.jpg plus plenty of splashes on the 1000yd silhouette that is only 48" high and 82" wide ... out of a 20 shot string ... so, I have to ask, What's wrong with the quality of an Italian vernier sight, like a Pedersoli?

Folks have been posting these What Sight? questions since the inception of forums. But I have seen only once, any responses to these posts or separate posts that talk about ... (What Bubble Level or Bubble Level Sight?) because regardless of the price of a sight ... ya ain't going to shoot long range accurately without a bubble level! Period!

PS: My Pedersoli Soule tension locks windage in tight with no movement on recoils, plus the adjustments are crisp and easy.

montana_charlie
11-17-2008, 11:25 PM
I have used the Pedersoli 431 (Silhouette) and 406 (Soule) sights with no problems. They are both serviceable sights. I switched to a Shaver Soule to get a sight with less bulk, but it is no more accurate than the Pedersoli.

Pedersoli makes some low-tech tang sights...and includes them with some of their rifle packages. Unfortunately, most of the guys who badmouth the Pedersoli sights only have experience with those 'giveaway' models.

CM

Gellot Wilde
11-18-2008, 04:27 AM
I had a Pedersoli tang sight, the long range or whatever it was called, it was ok but felt terrible to adjust. It also had a wierd windage set up...it had more in one direction that the other. I know a couple of people with the Pedersoli Soule sight who have had no problems with them at all.

Personally, I'd choose a US made sight over the Pedersoli sight any day, obviously depends on your available buget at the time.

Front sight with bubble level....I've been using a Kelly for a while now and really like it, it's a good idea having the tube inside the tunnel even if it's a little on the small side.

Nice shooting by the way John Boy. :drinks:

runnin lead
11-18-2008, 12:48 PM
Okay I didn't say that this sight was only used one time prior to the national
to get a 200 yd zero & I did not say that after the problem was figgured out
that i did shoot a 98 at 200 can't remember howmany X's and I did call one of the 9's low and I didn't say that the appeture on the hadley eyecup also moved to an off appeture position on recoil be sides the windage resetting it self on recoil
& i may not have said that it held the windage setting if you on 1/2 of the windage that held while the other half of a revolution did not
& I did not say that the hadley eyecup that I have on my montana sight was the one that I had on the give away sight that I have had rethreaded to fit my montana sight & I didn't say that the appetures on that one have never given me a problem & I also Didn't say that the engraving is much e z er to read on the montana sight than the italian one
Is there any thing I missed?

Jim

Gellot Wilde
11-18-2008, 12:53 PM
Nope, think you about covered it there Jim.

98@200, mighty fine shooting indeed sir, was that off the sling?

runnin lead
11-18-2008, 09:38 PM
X sticks prone

Jim

madcaster
11-19-2008, 02:20 AM
Lumpie sure is a good one to bring up thought-provoking ideals and questions!
Carl,it is good to know you!

bullshot
11-19-2008, 09:07 AM
I have a Pedersoli High Wall coming in 38-55(at least that's what I'm told). So I looked at Pedersoli's Soule sight set for this rifle and found that the windage knobs moves three index lines before the sight actually moved. Not great for repeatability. Now was it just that sight, don't know and wasn't willing to order another and take the chance. I own a Shaver long range Soule and had no problems and also a Parts Unknown Soule with no problems.

JSnover
11-19-2008, 07:18 PM
A good friend of mine owned a Pedersoli Soule - does that make it a PederSoulie?:roll: - and had no complaints about how it worked but he did have to clean out some grit and smooth the bearing surfaces. I just bought a like-new Shaver Soule from him and it's very nice considering it 15-30% less than some of the others. A Hadley eye cup is on order.....

John Boy
11-19-2008, 08:36 PM
Believe it is time for a new thread ...

SharpsShooter
11-19-2008, 08:45 PM
Can you buy direct from Shaver? Does he have a web site? Buffalo Arms wants a couple barrels of oil and change for his sights

SS

JSnover
11-19-2008, 10:47 PM
I tried to order online, egunsmith.com is his site, but there were some technical difficulties. Try calling (no promises but this should be a good number) 417-682-3330

Bad Ass Wallace
11-19-2008, 11:06 PM
I know where your comin from, paid $3g's for my 50/90 Sharps and $2G's for custom mold, handles, dies, sights & shells.

Then folks say, "your so lucky to get a good rifle that shoots so well":x:x

SharpsShooter
11-20-2008, 09:17 AM
I tried to order online, egunsmith.com is his site, but there were some technical difficulties. Try calling (no promises but this should be a good number) 417-682-3330

Thanks!:-D

SS

montana_charlie
11-20-2008, 12:37 PM
Lee Shaver has his sights on eBay, too.
http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/sidehammer_W0QQ_nkwZQQ_armrsZ1QQ_fromZQQ_mdoZ
CM

madcaster
03-01-2009, 03:43 PM
Tom Chase,think I'll give him a holler,thanks Lumpy!

splattersmith
05-07-2009, 03:06 AM
On the contrary. If a guy can get the good performance from ww alloy, he would be a fool to ignore it.
My peeve is over how different people define 'good performance'.

CM

OK I will bite. What is 'good performance'?

((And please don't say different people define it differently :-D:-D:-?))

Jon K
05-07-2009, 08:54 AM
Sharpsshooter,

You can buy direct from Shaver.......Full MSRP + shipping, and they are knda slow about shipping.

Jon

BPCR Bill
05-07-2009, 10:04 AM
Lumpie, thoughts and prayers are with you. Sights? Been there, done that. Once. I had a cheap tang sight on a roller 45-70 years ago, and will never do that again. I did have an Axtell long range transition on my big Sharps for years. Historically proper sight and well made, but not enough windage. Sold that finally and spent nearly $500 on a new MVA Long Range Buffalo Soule. I guess when I compare that to what I paid for my first Shiloh Sharps nearly 20 years ago ($750) I get a little puckered up. But, the MVA Soules are really fine sights, as are a number of other sights of comparable price. I think I have some really good stuff now, so maybe I can quit spending so much money. Maybe.

Regards,
Bill