PDA

View Full Version : Cz 457 vs Tikka t1x 17hmr?

Ohio686
01-11-2020, 09:25 AM
I am looking at both rifles and can't seem to make up my mind. Anybody have any experience with either rifle? Any other suggestions that I might be overlooking?

sigep1764
01-11-2020, 03:20 PM
Check out Rimfire Central.com. Lots of reviews on both rifles and lovers of both. Being a CZ owner, I am biased and would purchase the 457 to go next to my 455, Redhead Deluxe, and 75B. Please do not make the decision based on my opinion, I have no experience with either and hear Tikka's are nice.

Ohio686
01-11-2020, 10:47 PM
Thanks for the honest opinion. I am leaning towards the cz.

Minerat
01-11-2020, 11:42 PM
I have a Brno model 1 in 22lr the predecessor to the 457 and a 527 in 17 HH so I'm prejudice too but I am very impresses with CZ. Sorry no help on the Tikka.

idahoron
01-12-2020, 10:20 AM
I am no help with the 457 or the tikka. But I do have a few CZ rifles. The first one I got was CZ 455 Varmint. I got it in the 17HMR to replace a 22mag that was stolen. What I was not used to was the backwards safety. I have to pull my safety back to take it off safe to shoot. The next thing I didn't like was the trigger. The trigger in my 455 was junk. I replaced it with a Timney and it was all good. I love my 455 now, it shoots great out to 150 yards. I have shot a couple of chucks out to 238 yards.

https://i.imgur.com/XMZDvlG.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/DH5zlaB.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/LHojz7a.jpg

That being said the 457 was made to correct these problem. The 457 action is brand new. They shortened it a bit, Gave it a new trigger, and a push off safety. On paper the 457 is a far better rifle. When I shoot my 455 I am so impressed with the rifle that the 457 should be a great rifle.

https://i.imgur.com/dEqXqXz.jpg

Obverse
01-15-2020, 09:21 AM
I would go CZ. I just picked one up after researching half a dozen rifles - got a cz452 like the one here (https://gunhub.com.au/best-bolt-action-22-rifles-in-australia/).

Slightly better value, but realistically both fantastic rifles. You'll be happy either way. :)

Tripplebeards
01-15-2020, 10:24 AM
I bought a Used CZ 452 ultra lux super exclusive two years ago for 325 bucks in 22lr. I finally cleaned it the other day and checked the action torque screws that were loose. I tourqued them to 22 inch pounds and group tested. The first five round group I shot at 50 yards were with CCI stingers that are not supposed to group worth a darn in those guns. I shot a .457 five shot group. I haven’t tried expensive target ammo on it yet we’re just a bunch of stuff I had laying around through the years. The cheap Winchester 333 shoot just as tight as the stingers. I had fun and put a cheap Tasco 3 x 9 mill dot scope I picked up for around 40 bucks years ago on it to play with. With the second mill that down I can hit rocks the size of quarters shot for shot all day long. It’s a fun little gun. The Tika looks like a really accurate shooter to. I don’t think you’re gonna make a wrong decision either way if it were me I just buy both and stop losing sleep about it.lol

I need to get another CZ but either in a 22 mag or 17 HMR, something with a little bit more knockdown power and instant death for squirrels and small game.

I just went to the hardware store and bought a $.15 spring and I have my trigger down to just a hair under a pound safely.

Mk42gunner
01-15-2020, 03:07 PM
No idea on either of the new rifles; but every CZ I have shot has been accurate, be it center or rimfire.

Robert

nueces5
01-15-2020, 07:07 PM
I have very little experience with tikka, very soft to operate.
I can't talk about precision, but I don't think they're bad, at least I never heard anything bad about them
If I have a lot of experience with a cz 452 in 22lr
It is the weapon that I like the most, that I use the most and what I want most
I almost bought another just to have it without riflescope, but it got out of hand

nueces5
01-15-2020, 07:08 PM
I have very little experience with tikka, very soft to operate.
I can't talk about precision, but I don't think they're bad, at least I never heard anything bad about them
I have a lot of experience with a cz 452 in 22lr
It is the weapon that I like the most, that I use the most and what I want most
I almost bought another just to have it without riflescope, but it got out of hand

PB234
01-15-2020, 09:16 PM
Another comment to check out rimfire central as there will be fans of both. No experience with the Tikka. The problem with CZs is get one and you will want another.

Art in Colorado
01-15-2020, 09:39 PM
Like the 452 CZ American of mine. Replaced trigger with a Timiney. Sent a Leopold 2X7 back to company to have paralax set for 22 LR. Best 22 rifle I ever had.

fourarmed
01-16-2020, 11:05 PM
I recently bought (for my wife, you know) a used CZ 457 in 17 HMR. It had a Leupold VX-Freedom 2-7 Rimfire scope on it, and was like new. With the CCI 20 grain Gamepoint it averages under MOA for five-shot groups. To say that I (oops, my wife, I mean.) am happy with the rifle is an understatement. My only complaint is aesthetic: The impressed checkering does not do justice to the really nice piece of European walnut on it.

Randy Bohannon
01-21-2020, 06:26 PM
CZ 452 Americans have set triggers don’t know why you would mess with them. I shot my Appleseed course with one , everyone thought I was crazy until I shot a 190.

M-Tecs
01-21-2020, 08:19 PM
CZ 452 do not have a set trigger. The 453 does.

wv109323
01-25-2020, 05:36 PM
I think the CZ is more attractive with walnut and blue but the Tikka appears to be a little more accurate from reports on RC.

N21911S
01-31-2020, 11:54 AM
The Tikka has an excellent adjustable trigger and uses some of the T3x accessories. I've seen several one hole 50yd groups shot with T1x's. I'm still chasing the one hole group with mine. It has something to do with the nut behind the stock.

Ohio686
02-06-2020, 10:56 PM
I bit the bullet and ordered the 457 varmint from dahlonega armory. I will post 100 yard targets as soon as the weather clears up and I can actually shoot. Thanks for all the responses

kcajeel
01-05-2021, 06:34 PM
How bout it? Did the weather ever clear up? We're still waiting on pins and needles for that post.

Ohio686
01-29-2021, 10:47 AM
I was very disappointed with the first few clips I ran through it. Probably a 2-3" group at a 100. Cleaned it up and tried it again. I can now say I am very pleased. I have been using it since the leaves came off for squirrels. The furthest shot so far this year was 110 but I am routinely taking squirrels at 65-90. I am very pleased with the way this rifle is shooting right now. Now the only hang up is split necks on hmr ammo...

PB234
02-04-2021, 04:59 PM
I was very disappointed with the first few clips I ran through it. Probably a 2-3" group at a 100. Cleaned it up and tried it again. I can now say I am very pleased. I have been using it since the leaves came off for squirrels. The furthest shot so far this year was 110 but I am routinely taking squirrels at 65-90. I am very pleased with the way this rifle is shooting right now. Now the only hang up is split necks on hmr ammo...

Some report their CZ rifles come with a very noticeable layer of protective grease in the barrel and need to be cleaned attentively before use. Sounds like your experience with your excellent CZ. What scope did you put on it? A terrific wood and steal rifle made to last a long time.

Ohio686
02-05-2021, 02:24 PM
I had got a deal on a Bushnell nitro last year with the rebate. Off the top of my head I think it is a 6-24 with deploy reticle. Holds a zero and has worked well so far.

tazman
02-05-2021, 02:54 PM
Some report their CZ rifles come with a very noticeable layer of protective grease in the barrel and need to be cleaned attentively before use. Sounds like your experience with your excellent CZ. What scope did you put on it? A terrific wood and steal rifle made to last a long time.

That doesn't surprise me. I always clean the barrel out before I shoot it in any firearm I buy, new or used. You never know what someone left in the barrel.
I remember watching a youtube video a few weeks ago where a fellow was complaining about the poor accuracy on his rifle. In this case, it was a 22lr. He had never cleaned the barrel. When he finally did, the groups shrunk dramatically and he had the honesty to admit it in a video and apologize for badmouthing the rifle.

kcajeel
02-10-2021, 05:43 PM
What caliber and model did you buy Ohio? I bought a At-one just before Christmas and the weather has been so bad up here in Michigan I haven't had a lot of shooting with it. I'm kind confused on the scope selection. I would really like to have a fine reticle with a small target dot but it seems they aren't in favor now. I'm wanting a side knob focus maybe 3 to 14 variable probable 1" and could go 30mm if I had to. Anybody know of something like this around?
I'm really having a hard time with this 11mm BB gun type ring slots. I see on #5 post Idahoron has some of what I think are BKL 11 mm rings and base. These might work for me if they are 1 inch rings.
I'm wanting to shoot a weekly scaled down silhouette shoot at our club and that's what this rifle is for. The targets are set at 25, 30, 40, and 50 yards and they are pretty small. It's really a fun shoot and popular at our club.

Kcajeel

Ohio686
02-12-2021, 12:31 PM
I put a rail on my 17 hmr 457 varmint so that I could use regular rings. I would stick with a 22 for target shooting at that distance. It seems that the 17 hmr ammo is not that consistent and it might do a lot of harm to steel targets that close.