PDA

View Full Version : Small Log cabin Coming along...

Kev18
01-09-2020, 12:44 AM
Well I started Last year and now I go work on it whenever I can. I still need to add my window, and chimney, and finish off by nailding all the logs together. I need The chimney for it to be livable. Theres nothing inside but I need a fire to survive.
To who ever is interested:
Small 10x10
https://i.imgur.com/Ixviv6Y.jpg

JimB..
01-09-2020, 01:07 AM
Tell us how you decided to chink it.

Kev18
01-09-2020, 01:30 AM
Tell us how you decided to chink it.

Well my plan was to add pink insulation foam which I did, from the inside. Then put 3 inch wood strips. And I did on the wall you can't see to the left.
Only thing is that it looks terrible. Really ugly. Il remove the ones on the wall. I think i might add something between the logs on the outside like mortar or something one day, but il leave it like that for now. And il add back my wood strips on the inside, except I havent decided if il cut them in half so it looks better, or just go around and collect saplings and branches to fill up the gaps . 3 inches looks so bad.

abunaitoo
01-09-2020, 05:43 AM
That is nice.

Lloyd Smale
01-09-2020, 07:48 AM
cool little cabin!

nun2kute
01-09-2020, 08:05 AM
"My Side of the Mountain", that's just awesome. I used to daydream about being "Jeremiah Johnson" as a young teen. Looks like a dream come true to me.

PbHurler
01-09-2020, 08:09 AM
Nice
That cabin has "serenity" written all over it!

smithnframe
01-09-2020, 08:35 AM
Very nice!

Hickory
01-09-2020, 08:39 AM
Lots better than a dog house :smile:

Markopolo
01-09-2020, 09:22 AM
really nice work Kev.. i got me one of these.. a whole lot older, but just as cool.... it will serve you for a generation... now get you an old woodstove, and a window you can board up from Bears, and you are rocking!!!

Texas by God
01-09-2020, 09:30 AM
You are building and living the memories right now congratulations.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Bazoo
01-09-2020, 09:51 AM
That is pretty neat, thanks for sharing.

Der Gebirgsjager
01-09-2020, 09:58 AM
That is quite the accomplishment! I guess I've got about a dozen questions looking at the picture. What is the roofing? The logs are obviously cut for stacking and interlocking at the ends, but do they have a flat side for their full length or do they remain round? What is the white thing sticking out from under the front where a porch would be? Will you close in the ends at the bottom to prevent critters from taking up residence under the cabin? What kind of trees (logs) did you use? The visible foliage looks like fir... I really like the fact that you left some trees around the building site. Seems like so many cabin builders cut down everything at the building location and end up in a clearing. How far from groceries and supplies are you, and how difficult is access? What a great adventure for you.

Bazoo
01-09-2020, 10:02 AM
I would like some details myself Kev. I've been pondering building a cabin on the farm. To use for a hunting shack and a camping spot.

Kev18
01-09-2020, 11:37 AM
I would like some details myself Kev. I've been pondering building a cabin on the farm. To use for a hunting shack and a camping spot.

Feel free to ask away. Im glad to answer.

tinsnips
01-09-2020, 11:40 AM
That's pretty darn nice, good place to hide out in. What is all that white stuff everywhere?

01-09-2020, 11:55 AM
So where's the outhouse? Old men need to know. :). Looks fabulous.

Kev18
01-09-2020, 12:02 PM
That is quite the accomplishment! I guess I've got about a dozen questions looking at the picture. What is the roofing? The logs are obviously cut for stacking and interlocking at the ends, but do they have a flat side for their full length or do they remain round? What is the white thing sticking out from under the front where a porch would be? Will you close in the ends at the bottom to prevent critters from taking up residence under the cabin? What kind of trees (logs) did you use? The visible foliage looks like fir... I really like the fact that you left some trees around the building site. Seems like so many cabin builders cut down everything at the building location and end up in a clearing. How far from groceries and supplies are you, and how difficult is access? What a great adventure for you.

First off I wanted to mention that if you look, the first few rows of logs are alittle smaller. That's I started building this alone. But when my dad saw what I was doing he joined in. Thats why the logs are much bigger after. You can imagine dragging a 6-10 inch log by hand alone on the forest floor thats 11 feet long.... He is obsessed with going there. Thats all he talks about. We are both hunters but he grew up being a trapper with his dad. We are both fans of the 18th, 19th century mountain man/western style of life you can say. So he was/is really excited. He is turning 51 in march and me 23.

For the roof I put cedar planks. Lumber jack told me to do that instead of pine since it repels water. Then added black tar paper, and then tin from a pool. Roofing tin was to expensive. Might add grass and moss on top to further water proof it and for the awesome look. Ive always wanted a moss roof.

Everything has been done with a small sthil ms 170 and a small Hudson bay style pack axe since anything bigger is super heavy to carry over there. Nothing was measured, or calculated. I cut flat spots on the end of the logs just so they inner-lock and nailed them together with 10-12 inch spikes. I guess you can say its kinda like a dovetail. A disadvantage to this is that now some logs have a little to much that has been cut off so they are gaps. But nothing that can't be fixed with insulating and a piece of wood in a few minutes.

Logs have remained mostly round. I past the chainsaw so that they have a "flatter" surface to get as close as possible to the log underneath but I mostly just removed the branch nubs that were gettting stuck on everything. I saw some cabins that have a V notch all the way down and they have been perfectly flattened.... This is not the case here.

The white thing sticking out is the pool tin, we used it for the roof and a layer of protection on the logs around the stove. Super heavy to drag through the swamp, forest, and then a steep hill/mountain. But yes, im in the makings of a porch... ;)

Il probably cut logs and add some sort of barricades so that critters don't go nesting underneath it. They will also add support as I will use them as legs for the logs.

As for the trees... you know more then me. Thast something I want to gain more knowledge about. We called it pine. Whatever trees you see in the picture... its those.

I wanted to keep trees. I like staying low in the woods, I didnt want to make a massive cut around the cabin. Although right infront of my front door, I have a small cleary filled with little saplings. We cut a decent amount of trees there.\ I would want to add a feeder and put feed for deer. Would be nice to have some wildlife.

That cabin isn't the only building on the land. We have another cottage. A real one with water. It's also a log cabin, and its 3 season, but there is 2 bedrooms, a bathroom, kitchen, and living room. The land itself is pretty secluded. There are others around but we are pretty deep in the woods. Everyone else has a home with no land around a lake that we have access too. We're about 15-20 minutes from a gas station, groceries, restaurant and a small hardware/general store. But thats it. Its a small town/village. The land itself is close to 70 acres. The cottage is at the end of a drive way which is almost a small road deep in the woods away from the little road. And my log cabin is at the complete opposite side of that land on top of a mountain, that you need to cross a swamp and clearing to get too...

If anyone wants pictures, il upload a few more. Let me know.

01-09-2020, 12:06 PM
Pictures - yes!

historicfirearms
01-09-2020, 12:13 PM
Its hard to tell from the pictures but the smaller trees look like Balsam Fir. The big one by the cabin looks like an Eastern Hemlock. Where abouts in Canada are you?

Tripplebeards
01-09-2020, 12:19 PM
Looks awesome! But I’d have to make it taller. Looks good for someone three feet tall.

Kev18
01-09-2020, 12:29 PM
Its hard to tell from the pictures but the smaller trees look like Balsam Fir. The big one by the cabin looks like an Eastern Hemlock. Where abouts in Canada are you?

Quebec. Bordering Ontario.

Kev18
01-09-2020, 12:30 PM
Looks awesome! But I’d have to make it taller. Looks good for someone three feet tall.

Yes thats the point. I wanted a small hunter/trapper style cabin. The roof is close to 7 feet tall. The door is 55 inches. I didn't want a massive cabin.

Kev18
01-09-2020, 12:38 PM
The inside. Thats why il need to trim and cover the pink foam... looks so bad.
https://i.imgur.com/T5FnBqZ.jpg
Uncle gave me an old wood window. Will look really nice:)
https://i.imgur.com/c7usEi5.jpg

We had to level out the cabin as much as possible. Nothing in here is straight or level.
https://i.imgur.com/iRGEPpl.jpg

Tripplebeards
01-09-2020, 12:52 PM
It’s bigger than I thought it is...then it is perfect! I’m 6 foot two I just wanted to make sure if you ever invite me up I wanted to be able to stand up straight!

white eagle
01-09-2020, 12:54 PM
that is to cool
I was just thinking of building a small cabin my own self
strange how this post caught my eye
it's a beautiful thing you have done
best of luck to ya

Der Gebirgsjager
01-09-2020, 01:58 PM
Thanks for the answers and information. You're not quite as remote as I had imagined from the photo.
Actually, where I'm located is about the same situation as to groceries, gas, etc. I don't know what you can do about the pink insulation. It seems like a good idea, but it does look peculiar, and you wouldn't want any of it finding its way into your food, etc. You could continue to use it for the entire inside, and then cover it with plywood sheeting. If you scout around maybe you can find some natural stone for a backing for the woodstove. Nice project! :grin:

Kev18
01-09-2020, 02:16 PM
Thanks for the answers and information. You're not quite as remote as I had imagined from the photo.
Actually, where I'm located is about the same situation as to groceries, gas, etc. I don't know what you can do about the pink insulation. It seems like a good idea, but it does look peculiar, and you wouldn't want any of it finding its way into your food, etc. You could continue to use it for the entire inside, and then cover it with plywood sheeting. If you scout around maybe you can find some natural stone for a backing for the woodstove. Nice project! :grin:

Remote enough for me. 2 hour drive into the woods. And the neighbors are far. No one is coming to help me if something happens! Il cover up the insulation with moss in sprring on the outside. Im not sure about the inside.

Kev18
01-09-2020, 02:18 PM
It’s bigger than I thought it is...then it is perfect! I’m 6 foot two I just wanted to make sure if you ever invite me up I wanted to be able to stand up straight!

Im over 6 foot and im ok. You wont be able to jump for joy without cracking your neck but its all I need. [smilie=l:

Bazoo
01-09-2020, 04:00 PM
Thanks for the pictures. Pretty nice.

You might try 1/2 saplings to cover the insulation. Split them straight down the middle and put the flat side out.

I'm interested in the floor joist construction.

fcvan
01-09-2020, 04:23 PM
I've been sitting on 5 acres in Bonanza, OR for 15 years, a plot that is covered with trees and spectacular views. I have often dreamed of parking a cabin on the property for weekend or week long getaways. The plan included the purchase of a portable mill for harvest of my own trees for the 'living area' with a garage/basement half dug into the hillside with a concrete foundation.

Once, about 5 years ago, I had a squatter who lived in a tarp tented area in the bushes. Although the area is sparsely populated, maybe 10% of the plots have houses, the few neighbors I do have really look after each other. They ran the bastard off. I think the density is low because water is there, just deeper than most folks would like to drill for. Some residences haul water in, some harvest rain and snow melt. Annual precipitation will yield enough for occasional use, maybe enough for 2 people for full time occupancy.

Looking at he OP's photos and comments, the concept of a log structure is very doable. I watched a show where 2 guys erected a log cabin in Alaska in a few weeks with only a chain saw mill and manual labor. My plot would allow for equipment for the heavy overhead lifting. Still, a mountain view, a flickering wood stove and a good book sounds pretty relaxing. It doesn't hurt that every time I visit the property I run into deer and cotton tails. I need a good bow :)

Bazoo
01-09-2020, 05:13 PM
What model stove you got Kev? I have a king 628. Did some research on it and best I recall it was 1907 ish to 1935ish. Neat old stove.

Kev18
01-09-2020, 06:57 PM
What model stove you got Kev? I have a king 628. Did some research on it and best I recall it was 1907 ish to 1935ish. Neat old stove.

No idea. Got it out of our shed at the cottage. The shed was actually a cabin built probably late 1800's or early 1900's. Would make sense if its what you say.

Kev18
01-09-2020, 06:58 PM

You might try 1/2 saplings to cover the insulation. Split them straight down the middle and put the flat side out.

Il try it in the spring i think. Good idea :)

Kev18
01-09-2020, 07:00 PM

Also, nothing special was done for the floor. Just put 2x4's and framed with that. Floor are pine boards.

bob208
01-09-2020, 07:29 PM
there are some videos' on you tube where they built a cabin out of skid wood. they even have a nice ss wood stove with a oven farther up the flue pipe.

CLAYPOOL
01-09-2020, 09:17 PM
BAZOO has the IDEA for covering the pink stuff...

CLAYPOOL
01-09-2020, 09:19 PM
You may have to strip the outside also to keep birds, ETC. from stealing it for nests....

Outpost75
01-09-2020, 10:38 PM
Bravo Zulu! Have enjoyed this thread...

Kev18
01-09-2020, 11:39 PM
You may have to strip the outside also to keep birds, ETC. from stealing it for nests....

Yeah, we'll see what I do with that in the future.

Conditor22
01-10-2020, 01:54 AM
Build it too tall and you waste heat.

1st get it dry, 2nd make it warm then you have time to dress it up is a semblance of comfort.

lightman
01-10-2020, 11:14 AM
Thats cool! It looks nice and cozy.

Kev18
01-10-2020, 12:45 PM
Build it too tall and you waste heat.

1st get it dry, 2nd make it warm then you have time to dress it up is a semblance of comfort.

Thats the plan. I like the old pictures of trapper/hunter cabins built in the 19th century.

Tripplebeards
01-10-2020, 09:02 PM
This might be my 2020 project.

fcvan
01-11-2020, 01:15 AM
I would be looking for limestone in the area and make Roman Concrete. Pretty much the same as regular concrete but mixed drier like a paste for easy packing to chink the gaps. Sea shells work good too, but the OP is nowhere near the ocean. Whenever I'm in the hills, I look for limestone, both for the possible water source and in a pinch make stone oven.

jonp
01-11-2020, 03:35 AM
there are some videos' on you tube where they built a cabin out of skid wood. they even have a nice ss wood stove with a oven farther up the flue pipe.

https://www.gstove.com/

jonp
01-11-2020, 03:43 AM
A Haddon Mill actually works pretty good. I bought one from my chainsaw guy and used it at camp to cut some flat beams for a porch. All you need is that, a chainsaw and a 2x4 or 2x6

http://www.haddontools.com/Chainsaw-Attachment.html

Butchman205
01-11-2020, 06:43 AM
Very cool mix of art and functionality you’ve built there man!

WILCO
01-11-2020, 01:25 PM
That cabin needs a Krag rifle.

jonp
01-11-2020, 02:23 PM
That cabin needs a Krag rifle.

That cabin needs a Ross

Bazoo
01-11-2020, 03:15 PM
I think Kevs 1886 will be sufficient for such a cabins wall.

Plate plinker
01-11-2020, 03:26 PM
A coffee pot, cast iron pan and flip down bunks and your all set. What a fun adventure.

Bazoo
01-11-2020, 04:29 PM
Flip down bunks is a great idea. That way you have room to build or repair something in winter but can still have a decent place to sleep.

Kev18
01-11-2020, 06:01 PM
I think Kevs 1886 will be sufficient for such a cabins wall.

Amen to that. Il make a gun rack on top of the door! Im excited. I might take it to visit its new home tomorrow ;)

Kev18
01-11-2020, 06:02 PM
A coffee pot, cast iron pan and flip down bunks and your all set. What a fun adventure.

ok. I have a pan. Some coffee pots, even if i dont drink coffee. And im not sure how to do my bed. I wanted to do one with small logs pinned to the wall, but a flip down bunk might be decent. If I can figure out a way to build one that doesnt take up room.

Bazoo
01-11-2020, 06:10 PM
For food down I'm thinking a 2x6 box with mattress pad. Hinges to the wall on either the end or side and food down legs for the other end. If it was on the side you could use chain to support it. But it's take up less wall space if it was attached on the end.

You could do a bunk bed but have the bottom bunk be a work table.

jonp
01-11-2020, 06:17 PM
That stove you have is a twin to the one I had in my hunting cabin on the Quebec/Vermont line. I replaced it with a small glass front but it did work good

Plate plinker
01-11-2020, 08:59 PM
Hinge on the wall with a length of chain to hold it, should be super easy. Get a cargo net for the bottom. Toss a pad on there and a sleeping bag.

I think I would look for a metal box for food stuff. Keep the varmints out!

Kev18
01-11-2020, 09:36 PM
Hinge on the wall with a length of chain to hold it, should be super easy. Get a cargo net for the bottom. Toss a pad on there and a sleeping bag.

I think I would look for a metal box for food stuff. Keep the varmints out!

Ya, I want to dig a hole in the ground underneath the floor but im next to a massive tree so there might be a few roots. Il do it further if anything.

Kev18
01-11-2020, 09:37 PM
That stove you have is a twin to the one I had in my hunting cabin on the Quebec/Vermont line. I replaced it with a small glass front but it did work good

Hopefully it does the job for me :)

Kev18
01-11-2020, 09:38 PM
I didnt think of the chains on the wall. And as support underneath I could do a leg the length the on the bed so when its flipped up it adds a small workbench

Tripplebeards
01-11-2020, 10:06 PM
I would be looking for limestone in the area and make Roman Concrete. Pretty much the same as regular concrete but mixed drier like a paste for easy packing to chink the gaps. Sea shells work good too, but the OP is nowhere near the ocean. Whenever I'm in the hills, I look for limestone, both for the possible water source and in a pinch make stone oven.

I have a quarry full on my property.

Kev18
01-12-2020, 12:26 AM
I have a quarry full on my property.

Don't even know what to look for? What does the stone look like?

fcvan
01-13-2020, 06:33 AM
A quick google search will get you plenty of images, further searching will get to how to make the concrete, be careful as you will also get plenty of hits on why moonshiners look for water from limestone deposits :)

jonp
01-13-2020, 07:12 AM
Hopefully it does the job for me :)

I'm sure it will as my cabin is a little bigger than yours and that stove heated it fine although you did have to get up in the middle of the night to feed it. The only reason I replaced it is I came across a used glass front stove and thought seeing the fire would be nice.

Tripplebeards
01-13-2020, 03:05 PM
Don't even know what to look for? What does the stone look like?

Looks like sandstone. Yellow, soft, sandy looking rocks. If tastes like lime if you touch your tongue to it.

Lionel Allen
01-16-2020, 01:14 PM
You'll want to leave a gap above your window to allow for settling of the logs as they dry.
As for chinking, I had a cousin build a cabin (from old telephone poles: he retired from the local phone company), and he had some sort of speciality caulking just for that job. It was grey, and gritty, so that when it was dry it looked just like concrete, but still had elastic properties.
This was in the 80's, so there has to be something out there that is even better.

Kev18
01-16-2020, 02:39 PM
You'll want to leave a gap above your window to allow for settling of the logs as they dry.
As for chinking, I had a cousin build a cabin (from old telephone poles: he retired from the local phone company), and he had some sort of speciality caulking just for that job. It was grey, and gritty, so that when it was dry it looked just like concrete, but still had elastic properties.
This was in the 80's, so there has to be something out there that is even better.

They make caulking now. Its an elastic mortar made for logs. It sticks even if they shrink.

Cole440
01-17-2020, 12:51 PM
Awesome, your giving me ideas for a new project someday haha

Kev18
01-17-2020, 01:57 PM
Awesome, your giving me ideas for a new project someday haha

Depending on how many people you are, it can take only a few days.

Kev18
01-23-2020, 09:58 PM
Well I went back today! Finally put the chimney on the stove and made my first fire! :) So satisfying to see a nice little cozy fire. Really didnt take long to heat. Also didn't take to long to add the chimney itself. Its a mess in there so il need to clean everything when all the construction is done... Still need a small porch in the front.

https://i.imgur.com/i8w27wj.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/yKxZth4.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/lmJW9L4.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/qy6c3V3.jpg

Bazoo
01-23-2020, 10:25 PM
Thanks for the pictures and update. Neat. What's the temp read? I can't make it out if it's -40 or something else.

Savvy Jack
01-23-2020, 10:26 PM
I like it Kev!!!!!

Kev18
01-23-2020, 11:26 PM
Thanks for the pictures and update. Neat. What's the temp read? I can't make it out if it's -40 or something else.

The fire was working for about an hour and the temp inside was 15 Celsius. Its 10x10 so you can imagine it heats up [pretty quick...

Kev18
01-23-2020, 11:26 PM
I like it Kev!!!!!

Bazoo
01-24-2020, 12:33 AM
I like the rustic shelf, you make that Kev?

skeettx
01-24-2020, 12:45 AM
WOW!! Great progress

Kev18
01-24-2020, 12:47 AM
I like the rustic shelf, you make that Kev?

Yeah, with an 8 foot plank. Added old barn nails to hang stuff. I wanted a nice shelf, not just a square one.

Kev18
01-24-2020, 12:48 AM
I post small gun videos and cabin updates here and there when I have time. Here's a link if you care.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFp7ucZyo_CWBqbDFS2vkWA

Plate plinker
01-24-2020, 06:16 PM
They make caulking now. Its an elastic mortar made for logs. It sticks even if they shrink.

Forgot about that stuff. Permachink was the brand I have used.

Idaho45guy
01-25-2020, 12:14 AM
I can't see the pics for some reason, so I followed the you tube link and watched. Cool little cabin!

The nice thing about log cabins is that you don't need to frame in windows; you just use a chain saw or sawzall to put them in whenever and wherever you feel like it, lol.

Kev18
01-25-2020, 03:17 PM
I can't see the pics for some reason, so I followed the you tube link and watched. Cool little cabin!

The nice thing about log cabins is that you don't need to frame in windows; you just use a chain saw or sawzall to put them in whenever and wherever you feel like it, lol.

I heard you can't make them a tight fit since the logs move. So il stick some insulating foam in the gaps.

jonp
01-28-2020, 04:41 PM
Am I seeing 60F in just a little time? Thats great! Wife Just went home for a week and walked into ours. In a couple of hours with outside temp about 20F she had it up to 70. A small space heats fast as anyone with a fish shack knows. Love your cabin

Kev18
01-28-2020, 08:29 PM
Am I seeing 60F in just a little time? Thats great! Wife Just went home for a week and walked into ours. In a couple of hours with outside temp about 20F she had it up to 70. A small space heats fast as anyone with a fish shack knows. Love your cabin

Fish shacks can be sauna's in no time.

justashooter
01-28-2020, 10:31 PM
Alone in The Wilderness was a film self shot in the early 60's by Dick Proenneke, in which he documented his alaska home build on 16mm film, showing the entire process of building his home and store-house and garden. it used to be on youtube but is now only in pieces.

buy it here:
https://dickproenneke.com/alone_in_the_wilderness.html

Bazoo
01-28-2020, 11:08 PM
I have the book by Dick Proenneke, it's real good.

justashooter
01-28-2020, 11:34 PM

the film shows him building a cabin bigger than yours with hand tools (no power) in some speeded up sequences. it's instructive, as well as inspiring. dude started it in his late 50's. a stronger man than i am.

Kev18
01-28-2020, 11:54 PM
Alone in The Wilderness was a film self shot in the early 60's by Dick Proenneke, in which he documented his alaska home build on 16mm film, showing the entire process of building his home and store-house and garden. it used to be on youtube but is now only in pieces.

buy it here:

I looked at all those youtube videos. But isnt there 4 dvd's I think?

jonp
01-29-2020, 07:42 AM

Wife bought me the book a few years ago for Christmas. Real good.

Plate plinker
01-29-2020, 08:47 AM
Dick was a hardy soul. He carried the gravel for the cabin floor up from the river in buckets. That was a bunch of trips.

justashooter
01-29-2020, 09:27 PM
I looked at all those youtube videos. But isnt there 4 dvd's I think?
the youtube stuff is either parts of it or rip-off;s of the idea and title.
i got the original film some years ago, and it runs maybe a few minutes over an hour.

EMC45
01-30-2020, 03:15 PM

The PBS video "Alone in the Wilderness" is good.

Bulldogger
01-30-2020, 04:04 PM

buy it here:

+1, not expensive and wonderful nature videos to watch. Dick filmed himself doing some very careful woodwork and so on, and after watching him I believe I could do the same. Quite a teacher to be able to teach without words, old Dick. RIP Dick Proenneke

Kev18
01-31-2020, 09:49 PM
the youtube stuff is either parts of it or rip-off;s of the idea and title.
i got the original film some years ago, and it runs maybe a few minutes over an hour.

I saw that there are multiple dvd's even on the publisher's website.

Kev18
01-31-2020, 09:58 PM
Went back for three days. I went back and forth between cottage and cabin. I didnt do much. I might buy a battery impact driver and bolt in big lag bolts from inside instead of 12 inch spikes. It's too hard with a sledge hammer and they dont go in at the right angle. Il see if I have enough money for the impact and cost of bolts.

I didnt do alo, went and started a few fires, cooked homemade sausage... Spent some time there with my dad. It was -10 in the cabin. In 10 minutes it was 5. I went out to cut a tree for firewood and in about 20 minutes, i went back and it was 25 in the cabin... it takes no time to heat up and cool off.

https://i.imgur.com/dukPSxN.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/Mk6bUru.jpg

Bazoo
01-31-2020, 10:51 PM
Thanks for sharing. That's an odd cap on the stove, never seen one like that.

Kev18
02-01-2020, 11:48 AM
Thanks for sharing. That's an odd cap on the stove, never seen one like that.

It's from the original owner. It was missing one. I'd like to find one that fits but these things are rare around here... I need a 6 inch one.
I think the thing that's on the stove is the top of a pulley or something....

Kev18
03-20-2020, 01:23 PM
Well not to revive an old thread but If anyone sees this:
I bought a new old ski-doo!
https://i.imgur.com/2znu4fD.jpg
Added a window to the cabin!
https://i.imgur.com/KfwT2FB.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/RoBzuMr.jpg
Just started adding caulking to walls.
https://i.imgur.com/c16M4Un.jpg

Chad5005
03-20-2020, 02:20 PM
awesome cabin

Win94ae
03-20-2020, 02:25 PM
That is so cool!

Kev18
03-20-2020, 03:21 PM
Thanks guys :)

skeettx
03-20-2020, 06:06 PM
REALLY enjoying this thread
Well done, well done
Mike

unclemikeinct
03-20-2020, 11:06 PM
You are The Man Kev. I wish I was young again. Good for you Sir... uncle Mike

Kev18
03-21-2020, 11:17 AM
I bought 16 tubes of caulking. Im going today. Il see how far I get doing the walls :) Its my dads birthday also and he wants to go to the cottage anyways.

Kev18
03-23-2020, 05:20 PM
Im in the process of caulking the inside walls. So far, so good. Looks nice I find.
https://i.imgur.com/GqLiXs4.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/p9Hi5mC.jpg
Small army cot
https://i.imgur.com/4Thdd5g.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/H6cXvJ8.jpg

adcoch1
03-24-2020, 01:53 AM
Looking good! Was showing my 8yr old son the pics and he wants to build one now. Planting the seed... Thanks for help with that..

Kev18
03-24-2020, 04:12 PM
Looking good! Was showing my 8yr old son the pics and he wants to build one now. Planting the seed... Thanks for help with that..

Pretty easy to build if you have heavy machinery. If its by hand I would suggest smaller logs, maybe 4-5 inches max. You can imagine the weight of a full 10 foot tree trunk. We were two grown men and we arent that small... Took awhile to drag and lift.

Kev18
05-21-2020, 08:45 PM
Old thread but...
https://i.imgur.com/dIQIttl.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/mUh2JdU.jpg

lightman
05-22-2020, 07:24 AM
You have made a lot of progress! It looks nice.

Kev18
05-26-2020, 08:12 PM
Just stripped the inside bark last weekend. Il need to start making furniture and the front porch.

smilin jack
05-28-2020, 01:16 AM
Kev18, Wonderful job cutting and building the cabin.
Love the long barreled lever gun hanging on the wall.
:-)

Kev18
05-29-2020, 12:40 PM
Kev18, Wonderful job cutting and building the cabin.
Love the long barreled lever gun hanging on the wall.
:-)

Thanks, at this point, I stripped all the bark on the inside. I can start making furniture and a proper gun rack :D

robg
05-29-2020, 03:09 PM
very jealous.

Kev18
05-29-2020, 09:19 PM
Il probably head up there tomorrow. Il keep you guys updated if you're interested. :drinks:

JimB..
05-29-2020, 09:30 PM
Thanks for stripping the bark, it’s been bugging me.

Kev18
05-31-2020, 10:47 AM
I started fixing the inside caulking job I did last time, and almost finished the outside window wall. Still need to more cracks to fill in. It takes alot of caulking to fill in the outside cracks. I put alot so it hardens.
https://i.imgur.com/EzZpdp7.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/dhZb5cG.jpg

Markopolo
05-31-2020, 11:00 AM
what did you use for the calking again Kev??

and I love the Bear Trap sign.

skeettx
05-31-2020, 11:48 AM
Help me please, what caliber is the rifle?
Win 1886 or 94 or What?

osteodoc08
05-31-2020, 11:59 AM
Man that looks great. My only concern would be the pitch of the roof. Looks pretty shallow for some heavy snow

Kev18
05-31-2020, 04:21 PM
Man that looks great. My only concern would be the pitch of the roof. Looks pretty shallow for some heavy snow

No problem. I have a massive pine tree over the cabin. I had alittle over 12 inches of snow on the roof last year. And there was over 6 feet on the ground

Kev18
05-31-2020, 04:24 PM
Help me please, what caliber is the rifle?
Win 1886 or 94 or What?

It's an 1886, chambres in 40-82

Kev18
05-31-2020, 04:25 PM
what did you use for the calking again Kev??

and I love the Bear Trap sign.

It's door and window Caulking. Brown color. 2.50 a tube. Il go back to the hardware store and order a case full because il need alot more.

Kev18
05-31-2020, 04:31 PM
Here's my YouTube channel. Il upload a video about the cabin tomorrow probably. Here's the rifle :
https://youtu.be/JGIUKchDspk

IHuntDragons
06-01-2020, 09:59 AM
Good looking cabin and rifle. Thanks for the rifle video, definitely looking forward to one on the cabin.

Kev18
06-01-2020, 02:07 PM
I try to post videos every weekend. When I go to the cottage I try to film when I can.

Kev18
06-19-2020, 08:43 PM
Slow progress but still going on weekends when I can. In between jobs and a girlfriend its rough.. and now there's bugs.
Ive finished the window wall with all the caulking/chinking, im going t ocontinue the back one although I got a good part of it done last weekend.
I also made a small corner table.
window
https://i.imgur.com/adFna3g.jpg
Back wall
https://i.imgur.com/vcRI2Oq.jpg
Table
https://i.imgur.com/1yuxjBa.jpg

Markopolo
06-20-2020, 08:26 PM
my my... you have been a busy beaver sir... it looks great if you ask me... anything you do with your own hands like this is special...

Kev18
07-27-2020, 10:06 PM
Been putting in some work... Slowly but surely! I did the caulking on all the outside, with exception of small holes or cracks that I will go over again. Now I need to finish the peak logs near the roof and do a whole other layer of caulking on the inside.
Pictures:
https://i.imgur.com/eHEwU9W.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/2UmIp7H.jpg
Bear shutter, also helps for snow.
https://i.imgur.com/b9H5GYH.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/dgVI1Nr.jpg

skeettx
07-27-2020, 11:29 PM
What JOY!!

smithnframe
07-28-2020, 05:52 AM
Very nice!

Kev18
07-28-2020, 06:12 AM
Thanks, other big project, will be the front porch.

Kev18
08-22-2020, 11:02 PM
Little update, started working on the front porch. Hopefully i will have enough will to haul all the planks I made over there before winter. :shock:
Here's my channel with weekly videos.: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFp7ucZyo_CWBqbDFS2vkWA
https://i.imgur.com/Tcrr1uv.jpg

Markopolo
08-22-2020, 11:37 PM
really nice job Kev!!! its a young mans business thats for sure...

Kev18
08-23-2020, 08:22 AM
really nice job Kev!!! its a young mans business thats for sure...

Anyone can do it. It just takes time.

bedbugbilly
08-23-2020, 10:42 AM
Looks great! A lot of sweat and a lot of work and you certainly can be proud of what you've accomplished!

Slugster
08-23-2020, 11:52 AM
I can see a lot of HARD work went into building your cabin. Well done Sir!

Kev18
08-23-2020, 12:00 PM
Thanks guys!

Thumbcocker
08-24-2020, 09:17 AM
Nice job on the cabin. I really like that corner table.

Kev18
09-07-2020, 07:33 PM
Well I got more work done. Finally got the porch and roof completed. Almost done!
https://i.imgur.com/i1pZcnF.jpg

jonp
09-07-2020, 07:39 PM
Very nice! A few of the bear shutters I've seen have nails driven through from inside out to discourage persistent critters

Wayne Smith
09-07-2020, 08:44 PM
Very nice Kevin. I was waiting to see the porch. A rocking chair is a needed accessory.

Kev18
09-07-2020, 09:00 PM
Very nice Kevin. I was waiting to see the porch. A rocking chair is a needed accessory.

Il need to find a nice old wooden one for sure!

Kev18
10-12-2020, 09:41 PM
Iv'e been going to the cabin whenever Possible, especially weekends. Spent Thanksgiving there this weekend.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFp7ucZyo_CWBqbDFS2vkWA?view_as=subscriber
https://i.imgur.com/Je4xuoJ.jpg

corbinace
10-13-2020, 04:18 AM
I enjoy watching the progress. Thanks for posting.

jonp
10-14-2020, 07:29 PM
Looking good!

Kev18
01-17-2021, 09:26 PM
Since last time I posted, I added a small window next to the door. What can I use to get rid of mice and rodents? Moth balls dont work, neither does fox urine.
https://i.imgur.com/qtEeL5e.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/vwSYkpT.jpg

GARD72977
01-17-2021, 09:33 PM
I would love to have a place like that

RickinTN
01-17-2021, 09:41 PM
For the mice and such I use antifreeze. I take a coffee can top and pour less than an ounce in it. I have only been using it a short time but seems to work quite well in my garage. Of course if you have cats or dogs you wouldn't be able to use it.
Looking really good there!
Rick

tctender
01-17-2021, 10:15 PM
That is nice. Wish i had one also.

Kev18
01-17-2021, 10:19 PM
For the mice and such I use antifreeze. I take a coffee can top and pour less than an ounce in it. I have only been using it a short time but seems to work quite well in my garage. Of course if you have cats or dogs you wouldn't be able to use it.
Looking really good there!
Rick

I thought about it, it might work in winter since it wont smell too much.

edp2k
01-18-2021, 02:45 AM
http://fivegallonideas.com/bucket-mouse-trap/

https://www.instructables.com/A-BETTER-MOUSE-TRAP/

but use RV antifreeze (supposedly non-poisonous) so it doesnt freeze
the antifreeze also serves to "preserve" them, in water they rot and it gets real rancid.

BrutalAB
01-18-2021, 10:58 AM
Ive heard mice absolutely hate the smell of mint. If true, gives you tons of options, grow some on your perimeter, some essential oils in the corners or something. Could be creative, plus it would smell nice.

swheeler
01-18-2021, 12:04 PM
Kevin that's a nice little getaway, wish I had one just like it. You need a pet Linx ;-)

John Wayne
01-18-2021, 08:36 PM
Well done. Live the dream!
John Wayne

Dutchman
01-21-2021, 02:49 AM
Ah... its the old log-cabin-in-the-woods-escape-from-reality fantasy.... once again.

How many times have we seen posts exactly like this with huge page views and drooling followers?

I get it:-)

vi·car·i·ous
/vəˈkerēəs,vīˈkerēəs/
adjective: vicarious

experienced in the imagination through the feelings or actions of another person.

Cabin built by William Lyle Hunter, 1st Lt. Mosby Raiders during the Civil War. Cabin located on Hunter Mt. on the western rim of Death Valley, Calif at 7,000 foot elevation. Hunter ran a horse and mule train to the mines in Death Valley. I've stayed in this cabin twice way back in the 1980s.

I get it. I really do. Fine job young Kev18.

https://images49.fotki.com/v1556/photos/2/28344/2623014/HunterMt-vi.jpg (https://public.fotki.com/dutchman/fuji_6900/saline/huntermt.html)

Kev18
01-22-2021, 03:38 PM
Ive heard mice absolutely hate the smell of mint. If true, gives you tons of options, grow some on your perimeter, some essential oils in the corners or something. Could be creative, plus it would smell nice.

Iv'e done all of that so far.

Kev18
01-22-2021, 03:40 PM
Ah... its the old log-cabin-in-the-woods-escape-from-reality fantasy.... once again.

How many times have we seen posts exactly like this with huge page views and drooling followers?

I get it:-)

vi·car·i·ous
/vəˈkerēəs,vīˈkerēəs/
adjective: vicarious

experienced in the imagination through the feelings or actions of another person.

Cabin built by William Lyle Hunter, 1st Lt. Mosby Raiders during the Civil War. Cabin located on Hunter Mt. on the western rim of Death Valley, Calif at 7,000 foot elevation. Hunter ran a horse and mule train to the mines in Death Valley. I've stayed in this cabin twice way back in the 1980s.

I get it. I really do. Fine job young Kev18.

https://images49.fotki.com/v1556/photos/2/28344/2623014/HunterMt-vi.jpg (https://public.fotki.com/dutchman/fuji_6900/saline/huntermt.html)

Thanks, thats a cool cabin!

Kev18
01-29-2021, 06:20 PM
I did a few supply trips to the cabin. Theres not that much snow but it sure helps.
https://i.imgur.com/uKz9oJE.jpg

BIGOX
01-29-2021, 07:50 PM
Nice work. The cabin looks great. I wish I could have my own little retreat like this. Maybe one day.

farmbif
01-29-2021, 08:04 PM
+1 for the 5 gallon bucket with rv antifreeze. some peanut butter on round dowel through top of bucket and a ramp so they can get to it. I left one in root cellar for 6 months and had quite a cocktail in bucket.

Jim22
01-31-2021, 07:58 PM
Kevin; I have built some log buildings in my time as a carpenter and general contractor. Here is something anyone building with logs should know: The logs will settle and/or shrink over the years. That means the roof will get closer to the floor. So, when you put in a window or a door leave some space above them so the settling logs won't cause your windows to break or your door to become unopenable. You need to allow more settling space for doors than windows but both need some. Fill the settling space with fiberglass insulation and cover that with wood trim - say 1x6. Your place isn't too big so you'll not need to put partitions in. If you do they should have settling space above them as well.

Kev18
02-01-2021, 01:11 AM
Kevin; I have built some log buildings in my time as a carpenter and general contractor. Here is something anyone building with logs should know: The logs will settle and/or shrink over the years. That means the roof will get closer to the floor. So, when you put in a window or a door leave some space above them so the settling logs won't cause your windows to break or your door to become unopenable. You need to allow more settling space for doors than windows but both need some. Fill the settling space with fiberglass insulation and cover that with wood trim - say 1x6. Your place isn't too big so you'll not need to put partitions in. If you do they should have settling space above them as well.

Thanks, I left abit of space . Should be good to move. Its not a great cabin, I built it because I always wanted one. I see some super nice cabins worth millions. This isn't one of those, but its mine :D

Kev18
02-01-2021, 01:12 AM
+1 for the 5 gallon bucket with rv antifreeze. some peanut butter on round dowel through top of bucket and a ramp so they can get to it. I left one in root cellar for 6 months and had quite a cocktail in bucket.

Can't image what that was like [smilie=f:

Kev18
08-25-2021, 08:07 PM
Well to revive my old thread...
I did a few upgrades to the cabin.
Im almost done building my little workshop/wood storage shed in the back. I was really aiming for a lean-to style roof. I didn't want to make it the same shape as the cabin. I want a cabin, not an rv.
I laoded up planks last weekend and finally did the roof on the workshop, just need a door and other little things.
https://i.imgur.com/tb8PPiz.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/5N3pPju.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/Tapf9AL.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/4XtgVqF.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/4o7Npqe.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/Vj5OQ93.jpg

Der Gebirgsjager
08-25-2021, 09:59 PM
Really a great project, Kev.

DG

08-25-2021, 10:08 PM
Thanks for bringing this one back. Love to see your pictures.

bedbugbilly
08-26-2021, 09:43 AM
Thanks so much for the update! It is looking good! I see that and all I can think about is what it must have been like for my ancestors to arrive in the Michigan Territory in the very early 1830s and start from scratch to build a cabin. I hope you are allowing yourself some time to enjoy it!

Wag
08-28-2021, 02:19 PM
Absolutely loving that!

--Wag--

Kev18
09-03-2021, 05:57 PM
Thanks for the kind words :)

farmbif
09-03-2021, 06:01 PM
where is the like button? that cabin is piece of functional art. job well done

John Guedry
09-04-2021, 09:11 AM
Very nice!

Graybeard96
09-04-2021, 05:25 PM
Very nice but let me give you some advice. Haul a small Hydraulic Jack up there so you can lift the Cabin Corners and then place Rocks under the Bottom Logs so they are at least 6" above the Dirt. This accomplish 2 things, first the Logs wont Rott and secondly the Cabin will never smell Moldy inside. Leave the Jack in the Cabin because you may have to adjust for a number of years.

Guess how I know - Cheers

Shawlerbrook
09-04-2021, 05:52 PM
That in the wilds of Alaska would be a dream .

ebb
09-06-2021, 09:23 PM
Nice

Plate plinker
09-06-2021, 10:08 PM
That in the wilds of Alaska would be a dream .

Still just a dream for most of us. :sad:

TribunusSanGeorgii
09-07-2021, 04:32 PM
Looks awesome!

Rizzo
09-08-2021, 12:56 PM
Looks good Kev.

I see power poles by your truck in that picture.
Is that where your cabin is, or are you more remote?

jonp
09-09-2021, 04:55 PM
Great job. I remember the several years I lived in my hunting cabin several miles from the road. No power, outhouse, water from a spring across the pond. Walked out for work before dawn many a sub zero morning towing a toboggan behind me with coyotes just off the trail. No worries as I had my trusty Blackhawk. Sitting at the porch table watching the snow blow across the pond in complete silence except for the wind in the pines with a glass front wood stove keeping me warm . Wouldn't trade that time for any money.

Bazoo
09-09-2021, 05:46 PM
I like the big slabs you got for the porch decking.

HATCH
09-09-2021, 07:31 PM
I really enjoyed the pictures and story on the cabin build.

I would be worried about snow load with the moss on the roof.

Kev18
10-16-2021, 11:09 PM
Looks good Kev.

I see power poles by your truck in that picture.
Is that where your cabin is, or are you more remote?

Its at the lumber mill, im more remote. On my land

Kev18
10-16-2021, 11:10 PM
I like the big slabs you got for the porch decking.

Made the myself

jonp
10-17-2021, 02:49 PM
Thanks so much for the update! It is looking good! I see that and all I can think about is what it must have been like for my ancestors to arrive in the Michigan Territory in the very early 1830s and start from scratch to build a cabin. I hope you are allowing yourself some time to enjoy it!

Yes indeed. My ancestors walked into the Upper Connecticut Valley in the early 1700's sometime and it was a rough go. Weather about like Michigan but not quite as much snow as the snow belt.

That cabin is a piece of art, Kev. Keep the updates coming.

swingingblock2520
10-17-2021, 08:20 PM
Kev18,

That’s a pretty nice cabin you built there brother. I’m gonna go back through and read the whole thread. My girls wants to build a cabin on our other property outside of town,I told them to go for it lol

Kev18
04-04-2022, 01:34 PM
Well another quick revival . I haven't been on this forum in a while sadly, Ive strayed away from leverguns and moved my attention to my truck. Iv'e been spending so much on it since there hasnt been any gun shows due to covid. Next show is april 24th so Im hoping to find something of interest there! :)
Heres a quick update on my little cabin :)
https://i.imgur.com/RcpftX4.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/cIyhtxV.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/sJXpPKG.jpg

Der Gebirgsjager
04-04-2022, 03:35 PM
Very nice, and picturesque, Kevin. Good photos.

DG

fastdadio
04-04-2022, 04:59 PM
Very nice!

skeettx
04-06-2022, 10:51 PM
I really enjoy your YouTube videos :)
Talk more !!
Thank you for posting

Mike

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFp7ucZyo_CWBqbDFS2vkWA

pworley1
04-07-2022, 07:55 AM
Great work.

bedbugbilly
04-07-2022, 10:46 AM
Always enjoy seeing the photos! Looking great!

Leverguns? That cabin is crying out for a nice flintlock trade gun! :-)

Enjoy the cabin . . . you've certainly worked hard on it!

Smoke4320
04-07-2022, 11:21 AM
awesome

Cosmic_Charlie
04-09-2022, 09:37 AM
Coffee, tobacco, whiskey and a woman will all be more enjoyable there.

jeepyj
04-10-2022, 05:56 PM
I've been reading this thread I just have to say I'm a bit envious. Very peaceful looking place. Fine craftsmanship.

Cosmic_Charlie
04-10-2022, 06:46 PM
I've been reading this thread I just have to say I'm a bit envious. Very peaceful looking place. Fine craftsmanship.

His timing is rather perfect too given world events.

Bazoo
11-16-2022, 12:44 AM
We got any updates? Always awesome to check out the pics again.

bedbugbilly
11-18-2022, 12:08 PM
I'm curious as well - always enjoy his updates and photos!

jonp
11-19-2022, 08:18 AM
I certainly would also like to see some updates

compass will
11-19-2022, 09:51 AM
Kev18, it looks nice. What does your girlfriend think of it?

HATCH
11-20-2022, 03:55 PM
STAY ON TOPIC WITH THIS THREAD

- would like some pics of how it is now since its been a while

imashooter2
11-21-2022, 06:12 PM
He has a big pile of videos on his YouTube channel. Some very recent.

https://youtu.be/bhwW9MReih0

M-Tecs
11-21-2022, 06:17 PM
Very nice. Thanks for posting.

Kev18
11-23-2022, 07:21 PM
He has a big pile of videos on his YouTube channel. Some very recent.

https://youtu.be/bhwW9MReih0

I post every friday as much as I can ! Thanks ;)