PDA

View Full Version : Score!

NHlever
11-12-2008, 10:01 PM
Got a phone message from my local gun shop tonight saying he had some lead in that I might be interested in. I ran right up there, and found quite a pile on the gun shop floor. It was just about all in ingots, and about half of it was pre alloyed, and labeled, and there were almost a thousand commercial .44, and .458 cast bullets mixed in though separately boxed. The labeled stuff was one third pure lead, one third 1-15 alloy, and one third #2 alloy. I bought 276# so far of the labeled stuff, and bullets for $.20 /lb. Felt like a kid in a candy store! I did buy one box of non labeled stuff that looks like it might be linotype, but it's all in ingots. It seems pretty hard, and fractured between the ingots like lino, but I'll have to check it out. I may go back for more, but after all my chemotherapy, I had enough to load, and unload for one trip. I was down to melting bullets I didn't think I was going to use, so it couldn't have come at a better time!

jhrosier
11-12-2008, 10:16 PM
Great score! Hope you bought a lottery ticket on the way home. It would be a shame to waste a lucky day.:drinks:

Jack

copdills
11-13-2008, 01:55 AM
Great Score and Good Luck my friend

11-13-2008, 10:18 AM
go get it all now.

GabbyM
11-13-2008, 10:38 AM
Oh that's a heart warming story first thing in the morning.

I thought I did good last week when I scored a huge weight salvaged from a fork truck counter balance.
Spent a couple hours sawing it up then when I started melting it down, to my chagrin, it's contaminated with zinc. Don't know if I'll be able to use it or not. Will probably take it to the salvage yard and swap it for other lead salvage.

Sounds like you got a lot better deal.

MakeMineA10mm
11-13-2008, 12:31 PM
GOOD for you NHLever!! Hope you can go back and grab the rest! $.20/lb for already smelted, fluxed, alloyed, and ingot-ized alloy is a fantastic deal!!

NHlever
11-13-2008, 05:08 PM
They open at 6:00, and I plan on being there soon after. :-) I think I will pick up some more. All but one box that's left is unlabled, but it is all stuff the guy was using to mix his 1:15, and #2 with. There is about 45# of pure lead that is labeled. They got a batch of .308 Palma match brass in too, and I'll probably pick up some more of that.

Hardcast416taylor
11-13-2008, 05:51 PM
Sounds alot like what happened to me with the lead. A friend that owned a gunshop and scubaed for another hobby called me up one day. Do you want this stuff he asked. The stuff was 77 lb. of sinkers salvaged from the Detroit river, lost by walleye fishermen on snags. Most were soft lead, but about 50 lbs. were ww`s or a similar lead. His price for all of it, one apple pie and one tart cherry pie from my wife - did you guess that she is a good cook?:-D