PDA

View Full Version : acraglas issue

porthos
01-07-2020, 04:34 PM
bought a new acraglas kit last summer. for 40 years after mixing it always came out a amber color. this kit is a cream color when mixed. even though the epoxy is clear in the container ane the hardner is amber. had some hardner from the last of a quart size that was left over and got the same results. dosen't look very good to have a glue seam on a repaired stock this color when the seam used to almost invisible. anyone else have this issue.?? i ordered a different brand from grizzly

Der Gebirgsjager
01-07-2020, 05:24 PM
Interesting. I didn't think that anyone uses the original Accraglas anymore. I know I don't-- once I tried the Accraglas Gel I never used the liquid version again. In fact, just last year I threw away my remaining supply of the original product, which was at least 30 years old. So, I'm not familiar with how the current version of the original product works or looks when dry, but you always have the option of adding a bit of Brownell's dye to the epoxy. The gel usually dries a bit toward the amber color, especially if you mix in a little more of the hardener--but too much will effect how it cures.

LAGS
01-07-2020, 06:03 PM
My Accraglass Gel comes out a creamy Amber color after mixing.
I do not have any issues with it because I always Tint the color to come close to the wood color , except on light Maple stocks.

bdicki
01-07-2020, 06:38 PM
Wood Craft has many colors of epoxy die.

GBertolet
01-07-2020, 08:34 PM
I found that the original Acraglas does not have a very long shelf life. After 5 years or so, i cannot get it to harden properly.

Loudenboomer
01-07-2020, 08:58 PM
I make a lot less mess with the jell. Both are easily colored to preference. Most of my buddies use Devcon. I'll STICK with works for me.:smile:

22cf45
01-07-2020, 10:03 PM
I use Acraglas all the time. Same as always, no problems. I can't imagine whats going on with yours.
Phil

porthos
01-08-2020, 11:15 AM
i use the jell for bedding. but for glueing , i use the liquid because of its amber color that blends in better than the gel

country gent
01-08-2020, 12:14 PM
I have noticed a difference in a lot of epoxies I use in smell and consistency. I seldom use accra glass since I prefer bisonite.

waksupi
01-08-2020, 12:35 PM
I use black acrylic paint to put color in it.

KCSO
01-08-2020, 05:51 PM
I use powdered cinnamon to dye it to the colour of the wood.

KenT7021
01-08-2020, 06:16 PM
I found that the original Acraglas does not have a very long shelf life. After 5 years or so, i cannot get it to harden properly.

I have been using Acraglas that is at least 20 years old to repair cracks in Mauser stocks.It sets just like it did when new.For stock bedding I used Steelbed and lately have been using Devcon Steel Putty.It appears to be the same.