PDA

View Full Version : Pig day .

redneck1
01-05-2020, 06:59 PM
My neighbor and I raise two pigs together . It works out better then us each raising our own . They seem to grow faster with eating competition.
This year has been a challenge, we got the pigs a month late , and I broke my leg .
But my neighbor is a pretty good guy and he was willing to do the brunt work by himself .
So today we took the brown pig , he is skinned , split and hanging on the poles .
Used my trusty little .32 colt Ballard to put him down , I just love the little .32 shorts for this . I think it's near about perfect .

Tomorrow we will get the halves broken down , ham, bacon and chops in brine to cure , and hopefully the first grind on the sausage .

Winger Ed.
01-05-2020, 07:02 PM
I wish I had the place to do that, even though it's a rather traumatic experience for the pig.:bigsmyl2:

elmacgyver0
01-05-2020, 07:03 PM
Poor little pig!
Enough of that, bet he tastes good!

cwtebay
01-05-2020, 07:03 PM
Good for you! Do you leave your buddy pig alive a while longer? I always have struggled with that part, seems like the one left behind goes backwards. I try to get ours done in September so I have lard for elk and deer and moose burger, and that leaves me with a huge chore at an inopportune time.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

redneck1
01-05-2020, 07:14 PM
If the weather cooperates we will do the black pig next week ,
If I was able to hobble around a bit better we would have done them both at the same time .
Normally though we do both pigs at the same time to save a whole lot of extra clean up work .
We also prefer to get the feeder pigs early enough to butcher early November .
But the fellow we get them from had a sow lay on a litter and it put us back .

RP
01-05-2020, 08:11 PM
I get a pig every year sad thing is they always die but the wake is tasty

redneck1
01-05-2020, 08:18 PM
Funny , I've never had a sad thought on kill day .
They get to be real jerks when they get over 180 lbs or so .

Silvercreek Farmer
01-05-2020, 08:31 PM
Mine are always nice and love scratches. What annoys me is when they get big enough to dump their water. Seems like they do it for fun.

Finster101
01-05-2020, 08:49 PM
My Dad used to pay a guy he worked with to keep one or two for us along with his. Thanksgiving was a four day weekend for their shop and usually cold enough in Kentucky to kill hogs and work the meat, so that was our weekend. Made sausage, cured hams and shoulders even rendered lard. I still remember fresh cracklins. It's a lot of work for sure but the reward is well worth it.

OldBearHair
01-05-2020, 09:11 PM
I have two pigs on the camera at the lease about 30 minutes away and keep up with them on the computer. Even have them named. Lester and Big Louie. I am thinking that Lester weighs about 75 lbs and Big Louie like 150 lbs. Didn' get a chance at them during the deer season, but we have plans for them early Spring. We have Spring early here in Conroe Texas. Wasn't feeding enough corn with one feeder in the area and the other seven, a sow and big piglets left. Well they will be back later. Hog lard makes me sick but I can have ham, canadian bacon, and bacon that has no fat and I don't put pork-fat in the deer sausage. Use beef tallow. Catch pork loins on sale,buy a couple, rub on the rub, including cure and put in an improvised smoker and I can get along alright.
I really like you guys way of raising the pigs together and sharing the work. As an old friend of mine used to say "many hands make light work".

redneck1
01-05-2020, 09:34 PM
Sharing the work sure does make things more enjoyable , especially come pen cleaning time :)
I rather enjoy the processing part of it even the packaging .
It seems to get easier every year as we gain some experience.
There is a lot of satisfaction in knowing where your food comes from to .
Not to mention how tasty that first slice of bacon is when you empty the smokehouse .

Iwsbull
01-05-2020, 10:18 PM
Hog killing time is one of the things I miss the most from growing up on a farm. We never killed just one it was always at least two. I am jealous of you. Rendering out the lard and eating way too many cracklings. Good times.

Dave W.
01-05-2020, 10:26 PM
We generally named ours, Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner, not very original but appropriate. The last two turkeys we raised were called Thanksgiving and Christmas. Names like this seemed to keep the kids from becoming too attached.

skeettx
01-05-2020, 10:34 PM
Here piggy, piggy, piggy !!

CastingFool
01-05-2020, 11:13 PM
I killed a pig for a family Christmas eve dinner once. Used a ruger mkII. Cooked it outside in a pig roaster, with 6 inches of snow on the ground and I wore an old red snowmobile suit. The pig turned out absolutely great.

Plate plinker
01-05-2020, 11:55 PM
More people need to raise their own meat this way. To many in this country have know idea what is involved in raising stock and getting meat to the table.

OldBearHair
01-06-2020, 11:13 AM
Back when I was raising hogs, I found that if you want more lard from the pig, feed it wet feed. We had two pens of pigs that were far from being registered OIC or Hampshire stock. We feed a lot of donated day old bread. One pen get dry food, the other pen got watered down food. (like slop!) Those pigs put way more fat on than the dry food pen.

429421Cowboy
01-06-2020, 12:55 PM
I do miss living back on the ranch and being a part of it all, pig butchering day is a big event. Some years we've had as many as 8 or 10 to do but the last few years its been more like 3-4. Having a couple milk cows helps to usually have some sour milk to add to the pig feed. A .32 would be just a perfect pig gun as some years a .22 won't quite get through their noggin.
Lately we have been butchering a lot more pigs though, because of the pig flu outbreaks once the pigs leave the pig barn to get on a semi at the big hog farms (pretty much only Hutterite colonys now) they can't come back in the barn. So the hogs are loaded into a converted school bus out of the hog barn and taken to the loading dock at the edge of the colony. Any pigs that don't make the truck or the trucker rejects have to be immediately put down since they can't go back to the barn. My extended family I used to live with are ex-Hutterites and get the call right away "You wanna buy a pig?" usually they're in the 200lb range for around 100 bucks and dressed, scalded, scraped and split. Hard to turn down a deal like that! We got a 180lb pig for our wedding dinner a few years ago that way, and always pickup a few during hunting season to mix for sausage. Just got pictures of the boys brining a few hams and making some bacon this week so they must have gotten another one here recently. I still remember the smell of my second mother rendering lard and making soap once we had the fat chunked up. Still remember the smell of that soap in my clothes and stiff as a board line-dried jeans. Not many kids of my generation had that and even less of the next one will.

redneck1
01-06-2020, 01:03 PM
Hmmm , slopped hogs get fatter . That's something I think I might try . We don't usually let our pigs get much over 220-230 lbs
And getting enough fat on them for proper sausage making is a challenge some years . Like this year , finishing them in cold weather doesn't help either .
Just a guess , but we will probably have to buy a few pounds of fat from a local butcher for sausage . We will find out for sure this afternoon when we start processing.

There is a pretty big outdoor flea market a few miles from me , threw the summer and early fall I stop and raid the dumpsters for the produce that gets thrown out by a couple venders .
It's rather amazing how much two pigs can eat even when they are only 50lbs or so And still want their grain ration .

cwtebay
01-06-2020, 01:30 PM
We've been doing something a little different the past 5 years or so. We let them graze grass and dig (while feeding waste products) until they're 175# +/-. Then push them hard on ground barley and peas. This idea came from a farm book from the 1870's. The actual meat yield went way up over the pen only method. We also have access to quite a bit of waste beer that gets used when they come off of pasture, they definitely gain better! And I always have enough lard for both the pigs and a few elk and deer.

shooterg
01-06-2020, 01:40 PM
Can't even get decent fatback unless you raise your own ! Had a nephew when he was about 7 that fed a hog he named 'Preacher Henry" on account of his eating habits approximated the local minister's. Corn and all the apples that fell off nearby trees mostly. Time to slaughter, he was asked if he was gonna mind . His answer / "Nah. We fed Preacher Henry all summer, now he's gonna feed us all winter."

Miss that fatback/streak meat and smoked ham - do not miss the lye soap we made !

gwpercle
01-06-2020, 03:43 PM
If you live in South Louisiana you and your neighbor are having a Boucherrie

If you live in Mississippi you and your neighbor are having a hog killing .

If you live in Alabama , you don't tell your neighbor and then it's called Swine Swiping !

Geaux LSU Tigers

country gent
01-06-2020, 03:51 PM
We normally raised 10-15 together. butchered 2 for the family and sold the rest to market or neighbors. Dad always said the extras pain for feed and costs for us so it was free meat

bob208
01-06-2020, 09:23 PM
when I was at home the week between Christmas and new years was butcher week. aunts and uncles we would all work together. I would keep the fire going under the pot and cut lard and scrapple meat. got sent to the hen house to get a fresh egg to see if the brine was strong enough.

Finster101
01-06-2020, 09:26 PM
[QUOTE=cwtebay;4799735]We've been doing something a little different the past 5 years or so. We let them graze grass and dig (while feeding waste products) until they're 175# +/-. Then push them hard on ground barley and peas. This idea came from a farm book from the 1870's. The actual meat yield went way up over the pen only method. We also have access to quite a bit of waste beer that gets used when they come off of pasture, they definitely gain better! And I always have enough lard for both the pigs and a few elk and deer."

"Waste beer".. Blaspheme !

redneck1
01-06-2020, 11:42 PM
Got a good start today , both halves broken down And everything de-boned for sausage . Was hoping to get the first grind done but hey tomarows a brand new day .
Fat content is better then I expected after trimming up every thing
But I'm still going to buy a few pounds to play it safe .

Thin Man
01-07-2020, 08:51 AM
Enjoyed the stories about butchering hog, but now I would love to hear more about the Ballard. I have had great admiration for those for many years.

redneck1
01-07-2020, 11:27 AM
I got the Ballard way back in 1992 or 1993 , honestly can't remember now .
They aren't real common here in my corner of the world and the fellow i got from didn't know much of anything about it , except he couldn't get it to shoot worth a darn .
I didn't know anything about them either , I just thought it was a neat looking old single shot so I gave him his $35 asking price .

I took it home and gave it a good cleaning and bought some .32 shorts for it at a gun show , and was promptly just as disappointed as the previous owner .
I was already shooting cast boolits at that time so I slugged the bore and was puzzled by the .317 groove dia . I just couldn't see any way to load a bullet that big in either the short or long colt case so I didn't do much with the rifle for a couple years except admire it .

Then I read an article in a magazine about making the long colt cases from .32 s&w and it mentioned heeled outside lubricated bullets .
A light bulb went off in my head and I was back in business with the old girl .

It's a jm marlin Ballard #2 with an octagon barrel , nothing fancy .
The bore isn't perfect but it's pretty decent And it still shoots pretty good . I use some pretty moderate loads in it , with the shorts it'll shoot 3-4 inch groups @100 yards And with the longs the groups shrink up a tiny bit to 2-3 inches .
She's been a good little rifle , and is one of last guns I'd part with .
I'm hoping to somehow shoot the barrel out before I kick the bucket .
If that's even possible with cast .

Winger Ed.
01-07-2020, 04:24 PM
[QUOTE="Waste beer".. Blaspheme !

I'd heard its common in other countries to feed hogs the stuff left in the vat after beer ferments, and the good part is drawn off.

Chihuahua Floyd
01-07-2020, 07:59 PM
I wish I had the place to do that, even though it's a rather traumatic experience for the pig.:bigsmyl2:

They get used to it real quick.
CF

cwtebay
01-07-2020, 09:39 PM
I got the grazing idea from an old book. The refuse beer thing I got from living in South America and the Caribbean early in my career. And I can tell you - if those fellas wouldn't drink it - it's definitely refuse beer!
I used distillery grain and waste for a long time too. But now they are charging for it

redneck1
01-08-2020, 12:08 AM
I don't have the space for grazing , when I first started raising pigs I used to buy a couple bales of good alfalfa hay for them .
Everyone thought I was crazy but they ate the heck out of it And grew good with a very reduced grain ration . Hay is just to expensive now .

First pigs all done , ham , loins and bacons are brining . Sausage is packaged And the mess is all cleaned up waiting on the second pig.

Freightman
01-08-2020, 12:41 PM
My son and granddaughter raised a steer this year grass fed meat taste better than feed lot beef. I am going to get a pig to raise next year and also a beef, the grass fed beef ruined me.

Tracy
01-08-2020, 12:58 PM
Last time I killed one, I used a 195 grain 358430 fired from a 2" Taurus M85, .38 Special. It went in the skull, out the bottom, and several inches into the ground underneath the hog.
The hog was down like a light switch. It was some good eating, too. I need to start raising them again.

cwtebay
01-08-2020, 02:13 PM
I don't have the space for grazing , when I first started raising pigs I used to buy a couple bales of good alfalfa hay for them .
Everyone thought I was crazy but they ate the heck out of it And grew good with a very reduced grain ration . Hay is just to expensive now .

First pigs all done , ham , loins and bacons are brining . Sausage is packaged And the mess is all cleaned up waiting on the second pig.I have used alfalfa or even grass hay in the winter before. I'm in the northern states where hay is plentiful and grain is scarce! The difference between the pork is tremendous, the store bought pork is bland and textureless to me. I have used a Stevens Crackshot in 32 rimfire for every pig I've ever butchered. It was my grandad's and he left me with 2 boxes of shells for it. I'm down to 35 or so but I don't recall ever having one take another step after one shot. Betting that Ballard of yours is about the same ballpark.

obssd1958
01-08-2020, 03:00 PM
My grandparents owned and ran a bar and cafe. Their home was right next door, and for a while, my folks moved a mobile home onto the property for us to live in too.
The grandparents always had a sow and whatever piglets she could produce in a pen out back. While we lived there, I had the chore of feeding the pigs.
All of the beer that was cleaned up from the night before (last dregs in the glass or pitcher) got dumped into 5 gallon buckets. All of the food scraps from the previous days business, also got dumped into 5 gallon buckets. This is what I fed the pigs.
When the piglets got big enough to butcher, we had the most amazingly flavored ham, chops, and bacon, that you could imagine!!

For those of you raising hogs, find yourself a bar/restaurant, and solve their garbage problem!!

nelsonted1
01-08-2020, 03:04 PM
We used to raise a coup!e every year. Don't know why they quit. Fun to hold in the lap at 35 lbs even better at 250lbs

Winger Ed.
01-08-2020, 03:10 PM
I have used a Stevens Crackshot in 32 rimfire I'm down to 35 or so

I tried to find some .32 rim fires for a antique Wesson rifle awhile back.

Before they all dried up, they were going for $8. each.

OldBearHair
01-08-2020, 06:05 PM
More Ideas and stuff. Good Alfalfa hay + 18 % protein.....At the Boys Ranch I was the animal manager and we got a lot of show calves donated because the kids did not like to see their calves go directly to the slaughter house. We would keep the calves around a while and then take them to the sale barn. I would buy a younger bull maybe three year old in off of pasture. Pay for it with the money from the big show calf and take a check back to the ranch for the difference in price. Grass fed bull is hard to beat--meat percentage per animal--and for taste. ----The Sour Corn story.. Dad would come up with two 55 gal drums. Fill one half full of shelled corn and keep it covered with water. Corn swelled up . Add more water. Then we fed the pigs and when the barrel got down to half full, He started the other barrel .. One time as the bottom of the barrel was fed to the sow and the pigs, I watched and the pigs with full bellies started jumping around squealing. The sow finally quit eating and plopped down on her backside, lifted head upward and a little to the left and began to squeal.. Next she flopped over on her side and slept it off. ---Then a neighbor of mine once confided in me that he used to raise calves and get someone to take a half beef paying a big share of packaging as well for the beef. Beforehand he watched the calf to see which side it lay on and the same side muscles were the one that he gets up with. He always took the other side which is more tender..Took a really big sow in to slaughter once and the butcher told me to back up to the side door of his kill floor and said he would just shoot her in the trailer and he could winch her on in the kill floor.. He came out with a little rifle that was a 32 cal. I think. He caually took the shoot, the sow raised her head squealing and ran into the kill floor. The rifle being a single shot, fired several times as he had to stop,reload then resume the chase. He got the job done the fourth shot. My Stepdad would put a little feed close to the fence, the pig was fairly still as he ate. Very close shot 22 lr. Never missed. He would tell everyone to not move the pig until after it bled out. Said it bruised the meat. All this leads to one thing and that is Shot placement. Some of these stories go back to 1943.

Jevyod
01-09-2020, 12:27 PM
My brother raises 8-10 yearly, and has absolutely no trouble getting rid of them. He has them inside, but they get fed no slop, just mash and grain. Even the butcher who kills and guts them for us (we do the rest) has commented how nice the meat is. In fact he wanted a pig for himself. We raise them to 250-300 lbs. We have had them at 360.

Come Feb we will get together to butcher. Usually 3. Make our own sausage, some stuffed, some loose. Cut out the pork chops. Favorite part, making the scrapple. We do not put nearly as much cornmeal in as some people, and mix it with plenty of black pepper. That is sooooo good!! The thing I really like about butchering our own pigs is we know what we are getting. It is very quality meat. Oh and I am not as old as some of you. I am 34. Been blessed to have parents who taught us well. We also do our own deer, and I rather enjoy it.

We also have 16 chickens for eggs, and every several years we will raise 40-50 broilers for meat. And an occasional steer. Being able to do stuff like this is what I enjoy about living in more rural areas. Plus being able to shoot!

yeahbub
01-10-2020, 01:05 PM
I remember sausage days when I was a kid. Every year, my aunt, uncle, parents and grandparents would get a couple of hogs fattened and hauled to their favorite butcher to be split in halves. My dad would go get them and the rest of that day and part of the next would be spent making salt cured hams, sausage, souse, rendering lard, making cracklings (the good no-skin kind, not these nearly inedible skin-on things that will about break your teeth). Then we'd stack up concrete blocks to build a temporary smokehouse and hickory smoke the result of our efforts. Half of the sausage went into the deep freeze, the rest hung on wooden poles in the cold room (unused concrete coal bunker under the front porch) after being smoked. Just to walk in there and get a whiff of that smoked meat would get my mouth watering for a plate of sausage, potatoes and sauerkraut. I miss those days when we were all working together. All but my mom have passed on now, so the expertise and experience has passed on with them. We still have the recipes socked away somewhere.

I don't mean to divert the thread, but I wonder if I could prevail upon someone practiced in rendering lard to expound on the correct technique. The intention is to render lard and make cracklings. Some months ago I acquired a quantity of fat back and attempted to render it slow, but the lard was reeking of ash tray half way through and seemed burnt, which I don't understand because I had the stove on low. What did I do wrong? How tricky a process is this? There seems to be more to this than meets the eye.

cwtebay
01-10-2020, 01:23 PM
I remember sausage days when I was a kid. Every year, my aunt, uncle, parents and grandparents would get a couple of hogs fattened and hauled to their favorite butcher to be split in halves. My dad would go get them and the rest of that day and part of the next would be spent making salt cured hams, sausage, souse, rendering lard, making cracklings (the good no-skin kind, not these nearly inedible skin-on things that will about break your teeth). Then we'd stack up concrete blocks to build a temporary smokehouse and hickory smoke the result of our efforts. Half of the sausage went into the deep freeze, the rest hung on wooden poles in the cold room (unused concrete coal bunker under the front porch) after being smoked. Just to walk in there and get a whiff of that smoked meat would get my mouth watering for a plate of sausage, potatoes and sauerkraut. I miss those days when we were all working together. All but my mom have passed on now, so the expertise and experience has passed on with them. We still have the recipes socked away somewhere.

I don't mean to divert the thread, but I wonder if I could prevail upon someone practiced in rendering lard to expound on the correct technique. The intention is to render lard and make cracklings. Some months ago I acquired a quantity of fat back and attempted to render it slow, but the lard was reeking of ash tray half way through and seemed burnt, which I don't understand because I had the stove on low. What did I do wrong? How tricky a process is this? There seems to be more to this than meets the eye.If you only have a little to do, a slow cooker is the simplest method. Get the fat cold, cut it into the smallest pieces possible (do NOT use a food processor.....bad experience makes the best lessons), put it in the slow cooker on the lowest setting and stir frequently. Make sure there's no dark pieces before you start, it will taste off.

redneck1
01-10-2020, 07:39 PM
Can't argue with using as low a heat as possible , it also helps to keep a nearly constant stir happening .
It's also easier if you start with just a little fat And add new in as it renders .
To get really creamy white lard a lard press makes all the difference in the world .

And when I have enough fat for lard , I run it all threw the sausage grinder .

Alan in Vermont
01-12-2020, 09:18 PM
Somebody get the popcorn started.

Back on the farm we raised at least two pigs a year, along with our own beef, meat chickens and turkeys and sometimes ducks & geese. The chickens & pigs shared a building maybe 24 X 40'. The fowl ran loose in there while the pigs were in pens along one long side. The pens were planked up along the front and between them close to 4' high(turned out to be not high enough).

One year my Uncle decided he wanted some pheasants, so he added them to the menagerie. They grew well and Uncle was quite proud of his pheasants. The the pheasants started disappearing, a few feathers was all we would find and the count would be down another bird. Strange forces were at work in the henhouse.

One of the pigs was "different". No idea where the genetics came from but this one sow was quite lean and and some serious tusks. Very coarse, red bristles, longer than usual and had been showing a fair dose of aggressive behavior.

The chickens got fed in a couple plank troughs maybe 8" wide, 6" deep and probably 4-5 feet long. Between cleanings the foul fowl excrement would get built up close to the top of the troughs. That was our gauge for when the henhouse needed cleaning.

I was down there one day and Uncle wanted me to "Come see my pheasants". We opened the door and there was the red sow ripping apart the remains of one of those prized birds. The bird had not gotten into her pen, that porcine witch had levitated over the 4' high planking on the front of her pen. I guess SHE liked Uncles' pheasants too!

At that time I had 2" Smith Model 36 that went everywhere in my back pocket. Uncle asked me, "Have you got that pistol in your pocket? SHOOT that S O B!!"

I rolled the hammer back, and from about 6' away, standing target, I launched a lightweight JSP(this was the height of the Super-Vel days) at the front of her skull. I had shot a bunch of other hogs with that same load and shot placement. 1 dead hog coming right up! Boom!

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAL!!!!!!!!

Hens were squawking, flapping their wings, the rest of the pigs, in their pens, were going nuts and adding their complaints to the melee. Uncle was dancing around yelling at me to "Shoot 'er again", which I was all in favor of but not until things settled down a little.

First thing I did was tell Uncle to get out, close the door and stand behind it and NOT MOVE until I told him he could.

In the meantime the hog was grabbing at anything that got with in reach. Chickens were losing tail feathers, I think one or two may have been rendered "hors de combat" but I wasn't really worried about collateral damage. There was a nice crease along the side of the hogs' skull, apparently she turned her head as the hammer fell. She spent a bit ripping hunks out of one of the feed troughs and finally she got those tusks hooked into solid wood and picked the whole thing up and shook it, then threw it across the building.

She ran out of steam after a bit and stopped to catch her breath. That time she didn't turn her head,, bang, flop. Of course that set off the poultry and the other hogs for another session of shrieking & squealing.

Just another day on the (funny) farm.

Tracy
01-13-2020, 02:45 AM
Great story, Alan!

fcvan
01-13-2020, 06:11 AM
My first 'hog day was early teens at a friend's farm. On this occasion my grand dad was in town and went along. Anyway, farm owner threw some 'slop' in the trough and the selected pig of course was fixated and stationary. My uncle grabs a 22 rifle, points down and 'bang' no flop. Pig squeals and hollers, spins around a minute, went back to the trough. The pig then spit the slug into the trough and goes back to eating. I had never seen my grand dad so mad. He was not really a fan of my uncle either which didn't help. He starts hollering about making the pig suffer and such, take the rifle and 'bang flop' from a proper shot.

Some years later, dad and mom bought 10 acres with 2 houses, and grand dad moved on the farm. Hog day comes and the routine began. Mom started baking fresh bread, we head to the pen. Dad sets the gate opening so the pig's head goes right to a small trough. Grand dad hands me the rifle, explains how to make a perfect shot so the pig never knows. Then, he finally explains 'you don't want that pig pumping adrenaline, it can make the meat taste wrong.' Bang flop.

Pig gets pulled out, dad makes cuts in the rear legs, hay hooks inserted and hooked on the forks of the tractor's front bucket, and pig gets lifted. Grand dad sticks the pig's heart and poof he's bleeding out. Dad drives the tractor over to an old claw foot tub set with a fire underneath and full of hot water, and a raised work surface for scalding. Dad and grand dad had obviously done this together many times.

Pig gets dressed, grand dad takes off with the heart and liver, and disappears. Dad and I get to scalding and scraping, it didn't take long. Grand dad had already fired up the Coleman and the liver and onions were frying in the iron skillet. Grand dad hollers for us to join him as mom had brought out the fresh bread. Best darned breakfast sandwiches I ever had. After breakfast, we loaded up the pig and took him to a friends meat locker. The next weekend dad cleaned up the butcher boy band saw and we cut/wrapped the pig. A few choice cuts got the grilled onion and fresh bread treatment. I learned quickly to enjoy 'pig day.'

I also loved going to the basement, scraping back the salt, and cutting off the breakfast bacon. Mom would ask for 4" or 6" depending how many she was feeding. I was 16 when they moved us to the farm. As a hunter, I always knew where food really comes from, but harvesting game and raising your own animals are 2 different things. By the time my girls were 6 and 3, I moved the family to 3 1/2 acres, 10 miles from town. But it was only a mile from work :)

My girls grew up with chickens, rabbits, ducks, geese and turkeys. We had a goat but she was a pet. They actually watched butcher day (9 or 12 rabbits every 3 weeks) chickens every now and then, turkeys and geese every season. I wanted them to know where their food came from. I am proud to say my girls did not eat a lot of store bought meat or garden fare for many years. I actually enjoyed pciking the evening's salad and veggies or going to the pantry for the canned garden goods. Beef came from supporting some kid from 4H at the county fair. Funny how talking about 'pig day' brings the best part of cherished memories back to the forefront.

tja6435
01-13-2020, 12:21 PM
We let our pigs get to 500+ lb, the hams, bacons, etc just yield so much more. Plus the lard is a whole day in itself, I run it through a grinder before rendering. We have 9 pigs currently, 7 are over 600lb and they’re meeting Mr Butcher on Thursday.

fatnhappy
01-13-2020, 01:08 PM
such a sad occasion. How will I ever cope?