PDA

View Full Version : 300 blk subsonic seating depth help

ewlyon
01-05-2020, 06:55 PM
Hi all,
I have been working on making a nice subsonic load for 300 blk for a while with little success. I had poor results with commercial cast bullets due to having to seat them too short for comfort, so I picked up an NOE 310-225 mold designed for powder coated 300 blk. It took a little while to find a load and depth that my AR would take without jamming or shaving lead but I ran a mag today with few issues so I am at least close. The boolits are about 16bhn, eastwood blue powder coated, and sized to .310 and loaded over CFE BLK.
The problem came when I tried to chamber some of the test rounds in my Ruger American in 300. Chambering was very stiff and shaved some decent lead off the boolit. In order for them to chamber without shaving lead and with only moderate force, I had to reduce OAL to 1.975 rather than the 2.090 that I was running in the AR.
At this depth, the bullet is seated deep enough that it is no longer full diameter at the case mouth, instead the case mouth is about even with the end of the taper between the body and the nose of the boolit. Neck tension seems fine, no movement when I press the against the bench. I have not test fired the rounds yet but I had no pressure issues at the longer depth with a higher charge so I am not too worried about pressure from the shorter length.

My question is will seating the bullets like this cause problems or should I not worry as long as neck tension is fine?
Thanks in advance.

popper
01-05-2020, 07:05 PM
Depends on how much powder you loaded. Max per Hodgdon is 12.1 for jacketed 220, you increase pressure when seating 0.115 deeper. Probably won't be sub anymore. Rifle can take the pressure OK.

ewlyon
01-05-2020, 07:07 PM
Current charge is 10gr so I figure I have a fair cushion for pressure