PDA

View Full Version : Gun auctions...

375supermag
01-05-2020, 01:14 PM
Hi...
I go to a lot of gun auctions here in South Central Pennsylvania and have lately noticed an aggravating trend.
At yesterday's auction, I noticed quite a few items that were hid up beyond current retail prices for the same product.
I really don't understand that mindset...I go to auctions to try to get good deals on things.
I am not talking about firearms though...I know that prices on firearms at auction fluctuate depending on a lot of factors including if dealers are buying for their shops and the caliber of the firearm and whether or not custom firearms are being auctioned. I understand all of that.

What I don't understand is bidding more for things like new brass than suppliers like Starline charge. Or bidding more for gunpowder than local gun shops charge...the same with reloading bullets and primers.

Tools are getting to be the same...yesterday I saw a very well used Lyman 1200 tumbler with auto flo go for $55. Retail for brand new is $90. I run three tumblers every week, usually three hours at a time on a couple of separate days. I think my tumblers are used a lot.
The Lyman that was auctioned for $55 looked like it had been ran a lot more and it looked worn and a bit beat up.
I also saw a very dirty badly cared for RockChucker go for about $80. I know RockChucker presses are strong durable and dependable machines...my son and I both run separate RockChuckers every week. I load hundreds of rounds of big bore revolver cartridges on mine every week and he loads quite a few rifle cartridges on his every week. Both are well taken care of and look brand new. I would never pay $80 for a beat up unmaintained dirty RockChucker.

I saw half full boxes of commercial cast lead bullets go for only a few dollars less than the retail cost of a full box of 500 bullets.

The only real good buy I recall was a new in box Hornady electronic powder dispenser that went for about half of retail on most websites.

I really didn't buy much...I bought a couple of pretty nice hard gun cases. One had a Dan Wesson barrel wrench in it, so I got a little bonus there. Other than that I bought some used Nickle brass in .38Spl and .357Mag...probably 5-600 pieces of brass. I need to separate, inspect and tumble it. Only cost $10 so not a big investment.

Whole morning of entertainment at the auction for a cost of about $135. I didn't stay for the firearms portion of the auction.

Not really complaining...just making an observation. I suppose the bidding reflects some people's need to win no matter the cost.
I go to auctions to get bargains...I research retail prices for items I want and then set limits on what I will bid depending on the condition of the item. If the bidding goes higher than my limit, I just drop out.

lightman
01-05-2020, 01:29 PM
Sometimes I think people get caught up in the competition of bidding against each other. I've seen worn out or broken ladders go for more than new ones. The same thing with guns, reloading tools and ammo. A good Auctioneer can get your blood flowing!

rancher1913
01-05-2020, 01:31 PM
lots of people think they need to get in the game before its to late and those same people think auctions are the cheapest place to get supplies, once these people start bidding against each other the sky is the limit. never happens when I need to sell something though.

Wheelguns 1961
01-05-2020, 01:32 PM
I think you are correct about people needing to win. I know a guy that accidently bought a deuce and a half at auction. He was trying to show his girlfriend how an auction works. Someone should have shown him first.

owejia
01-05-2020, 01:33 PM
Have seen the same thing at non gun auctions. Have seen used 4 ft fluorescent light fixtures sell for more than new. The last local firearms auction I participated in was on line and picked up about 8500 federal 22 lr for less than .0027 ea. Have known the auctioneer for years, he said it is hard to get people to attend live gun auctions here anymore. Another friend had gone to an estate auction with several guns and he picked up a M1 Garand with one full spam can of ammo and partical can for $800 dollars, so at auctions you never know what will happen with the bidders. Saw a couple of well heeled bidders at a cattle auction in a bidding war, bull sold for over $30,000 dollars, maybe some people just need to stoke their egos.

375supermag
01-05-2020, 03:17 PM
Have seen the same thing at non gun auctions. Have seen used 4 ft fluorescent light fixtures sell for more than new. The last local firearms auction I participated in was on line and picked up about 8500 federal 22 lr for less than .0027 ea. Have known the auctioneer for years, he said it is hard to get people to attend live gun auctions here anymore. Another friend had gone to an estate auction with several guns and he picked up a M1 Garand with one full spam can of ammo and partical can for $800 dollars, so at auctions you never know what will happen with the bidders. Saw a couple of well heeled bidders at a cattle auction in a bidding war, bull sold for over $30,000 dollars, maybe some people just need to stoke their egos.

Interesting...
The local gun auctions here are well attended...large auction halls and typically there aren't enough seats for all the attendees and there are almost always people manning the phones for online bidders.
The biggest obstacle to getting good deals on guns at auction are the dealers who are trying to get guns for their shops particularly the out of state dealers.
One type of firearm that generally doesn't draw a lot of interest is custom rifles for some reason

rockrat
01-05-2020, 03:29 PM
And then you get Shills who bid on an item to run up the price. Or auctioneer takes a "phantom bid". I have run into both. Not too often though or around here.
People do get caught up in auction fever and bid more than they can run down to the store and buy a new item.

Duckiller
01-05-2020, 06:56 PM
Supermag how do you keep your Roclchucker clean? Mine went on my bench more than 40 years ago and has not been off since. It is pretty dirty with more than 40 years or dirt ad burnt power residue on it . Still works great just dirty.

Winger Ed.
01-05-2020, 07:01 PM
Sometimes I think people get caught up in the competition of bidding against each other.

That's it, and why the auction 'format' is used.
As a way to sell something, it moves so fast some folks some folks get caught up in the frenzy and don't think about what they're doing.
That's what a good, commissioned, professional auctioneer is counting on and works toward.

elmacgyver0
01-05-2020, 07:25 PM
As a way to sell something, it moves so fast some folks some folks get caught up in the frenzy and don't think about what they're doing.
That's what a good, commissioned, professional auctioneer is counting on and works toward.

Why I steer clear of auctions, set a fair price and if I want it I will buy it, otherwise, take a flying whatever you want to call it.

jonp
01-05-2020, 07:36 PM

Yeah, sounds like an average auction to me.

375supermag
01-05-2020, 10:06 PM
Supermag how do you keep your Roclchucker clean? Mine went on my bench more than 40 years ago and has not been off since. It is pretty dirty with more than 40 years or dirt ad burnt power residue on it . Still works great just dirty.

Hi...
Actually, there is not much to it.
After every use, I wipe the entire press down. Clean up every bit of primer residue and wipe down the ram and then lightly oil it.
I always wipe down my dies after use and clean them with Gun Scrubber when required.

I really don't like dirt on my tools. I very rarely even use a hammer or screwdriver without wiping it down. One of the few good habits I have acquired over the decades.

reddog81
01-05-2020, 10:39 PM
And then you get Shills who bid on an item to run up the price. Or auctioneer takes a "phantom bid". I have run into both. Not too often though or around here.
People do get caught up in auction fever and bid more than they can run down to the store and buy a new item.

A couple years ago I went to one auction where the same guy won about 2/3rds of the items. It became obvious very quickly every time something was going for less than the auction company wanted this guy won. I wasn’t too surprised to see all the same guns going up for auction on their next flyer.

Last auction I attended in person Colt 6920’s we’re going for $200 more than the LGS had them priced at. Every auction is unique but when you get a couple we’ll heeled collectors or retail stores looking for inventory you can guarantee there won’t be any great deals.

nvbirdman
01-05-2020, 10:39 PM
And if the auction is on-line it is called e-bay, and people overpay there also.

Idaho45guy
01-05-2020, 11:01 PM
And Gunbroker... My local gun shop has the new Hellcat pistol for $499. GB prices range from $520 to $700. And the sad thing is that some goober is going to pay $700 for a $500 gun.

Saw one of the new Colt Pythons bid up to $2800. They have a $1500 MSRP. Stupid people are all around us and make things more difficult for the rest of us.

KCSO
01-06-2020, 09:29 AM
Two cousins here were bidding on an Iver Johnson s/s 410 that was uncle Georges. They went up to $450.00 and are still bitter enemies. It's worth what you think it's worth.

6bg6ga
01-06-2020, 09:38 AM
That is why I don't go to auctions and try to stay off Gunbroker.

FISH4BUGS
01-06-2020, 10:41 AM
I go to auctions to try to get good deals on things. If the bidding goes higher than my limit, I just drop out.

BINGO! What other people do is not my concern either. I don't get it either but if it isn't a good deal then I won't buy.
It DOES get frustrating when prices go over retail on most items and I wasted a whole morning (or day) bidding.
But hey.....it IS entertaining.

01-06-2020, 10:51 AM
Never overlook stupid.

Shawlerbrook
01-06-2020, 11:00 AM
Yes, I think it happens for all the above reasons . If you look at it from the seller side it is a good thing. I prefer online auctions where I decide what I want, what I’m willing to bid and forget it until it’s over.

shooterg
01-06-2020, 01:44 PM
My wife will sell my cache at auction when I'm done - and I hope all the crazy bidders show up !

Handloader109
01-06-2020, 03:55 PM
Was a gunstore down towards Little Rock that had an online auction back around November. I watched a lot of items for a few days, and I really could have gotten some good deals, but only one day pickup and 8 hour drive made it a non starter.

country gent
01-06-2020, 05:16 PM
Any more at auctions I attend between the collectors and wanna bees, about the only thing I buy is a doughnut and hot chicken sandwich LOL. I have seen worn tired equipment bring more than new. Went to one that had a wildey 475 on the auction bill. Gun one mag and owners manual brought $3500.00+ No accuterments or presentation box. Sold several mags and ammo separately. Every thing at this auction was like this

bob208
01-06-2020, 08:26 PM
if you are talking about Redding's auction then part of it is most of the gun shops in the area want retail plus. plus most people in the area are not that gun price smart. I could tell you some tales of things at gun shows and auctions.

375supermag
01-06-2020, 09:43 PM
if you are talking about Redding's auction then part of it is most of the gun shops in the area want retail plus. plus most people in the area are not that gun price smart. I could tell you some tales of things at gun shows and auctions.

That was the one.

Idaho45guy
01-07-2020, 12:32 AM
I went to a few estate auctions when I lived in Iowa and loved them, lots of good deals on antiques and tools, but the firearms? Nope. People seem to have no idea what stuff is actually worth.

And not an auction, but a yard sale horror story.

When my ex-wife and I were getting ready to move from Iowa to Arizona, she held a yard sale while I was at work. She sold my late grandfathers cabinet making clamps from the 1930's for $10. She saw them as big ugly hunks of metal that were in the way. I was absolutely livid that she even thought she could sell any of my tools without asking me.

I can only hope that whoever got them realized just how precious and valuable they were.

Petrol & Powder
01-07-2020, 07:20 AM
Caveat Emptor

trapper9260
01-07-2020, 08:13 AM
Around here in northeast Iowa when there is auctions and there is guns it is normal to be high and other items it depends on what county the people are from. If they are from the counties with a higher income then the county I am in things will always go high. I was at one estate auction there was a 25 cal pistol and for what it was I bid on it and end up the one that wanted it more then me so I kept it going up . Then stop and the guy own it . One other guy told me that I could of got it I said it was not worth it to go higher.First it did not have the grips on it that it should. Then there was on I went that was way before that one and there was a nice 32 auto and had bid on that one , there was a bid taken on the phone from a person from a bigger city and for how high they went I drop out .There was a 45 colt there also and that went higher then it should and the guy on the phone got that one also. So you never know.

Thin Man
01-07-2020, 08:37 AM
I have seen it over and again - auction fever. The boys show up with the mindset that they must buy something, anything just to show they can do it. They glare at each other in the audience seats with the belief that "mine (wallet) is bigger than yours" and bid until they pay more coin for a used and beat down clunker than the price that the same item currently brings at a retail store. The sellers and auctioneers count on this and exploit it.

As shooterg stated, I have asked (repeatedly) my wife to hire an auctioneer to liquidate my stash when I drop. Yet now I'm considering a "pre-estate" or "downsizing" sale in hopes that items worth dollars don't go away for pennies. I have helped a few friends with their pre-estate sales and while sad to see treasured materials go out the door it is comforting to know they weren't given away. Over the past 7 years I have lost 6 close, long time friends who were active shooters, reloaders, hunters, etc. Each one of them took part of me with them. My world is shrinking and closing in on me. I better stop there before I talk myself into having my own sale soon.

tstowater
01-11-2020, 09:21 AM
I've been to a number of gun auctions over the years. Generally, there are items that will sell too high and others that will sell too cheap. I did go to one in the last couple years and should have bought everything. We had gotten to the sale early to look at the selection and had decided that we weren't interested in anything. Frankly, I was having a beverage and sat down to visit with some people before we left. Prices were shockingly reasonable. I think I ended up with 7 or 8 guns and bid on quite a number of others. My father in law was quite impressed that I had exercised such restraint. All the other ones I bid on were still a bargain when I stopped bidding. This is the other side of the spectrum that doesn't happen very often.

bob208
01-11-2020, 11:13 AM
Reddings takes phone and prebids too. I have already talked with them for when my time comes.

Cole440
01-17-2020, 11:24 AM
I think people really get caught up in actions to much. That's why sellers love to have them!