PDA

View Full Version : 3D printed - PPC bullet tray for a 5-gal bucket - L-frame 38 special

Lakehouse2012
01-05-2020, 02:21 AM
Hi guys,

For any of you PPC shooters out there, I designed up a new PPC tray that I think is better than any currently available. I put the files up on thingiverse tonight. Its currently setup for an L-frame (cause I use GP100's) but could be modified easily enough.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4085329

garandsrus
01-05-2020, 03:08 PM
Pretty cool! How long does each section take to print?

RedlegEd
01-05-2020, 09:56 PM
Excellent! I've been finding more and more things for which I can use the 3D printer. I just made a powder hopper adapter for an Ohaus Du-o-measure so it can use the Lee powder hoppers. Sorry for the thread drift, but it just shows how creative people can execute their ideas with a 3D printer. BTW, what CAD did you use to design it? It's pretty hard to modify STL files. Ed

Lakehouse2012
01-05-2020, 10:57 PM
Pretty cool! How long does each section take to print?

Thanks Sir! It's not fast.... LOL each quadrant is about 11 hours because I want the details crisp. But once I peel away the build plate (brim) it's ready to use, 2 mins max with a pocket knife.

Excellent! I've been finding more and more things for which I can use the 3D printer. I just made a powder hopper adapter for an Ohaus Du-o-measure so it can use the Lee powder hoppers. Sorry for the thread drift, but it just shows how creative people can execute their ideas with a 3D printer. BTW, what CAD did you use to design it? It's pretty hard to modify STL files. Ed

Thanks, I'm using Catia V5, so I've got solid model files that are .CAT if you wanted to take it further. Send me a PM and I'll put them up on a google share drive for you.

Lakehouse2012
01-06-2020, 12:42 AM
Guess I'm on a roll now..... Just modified the part for K-frame. It's up on TV if interested.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4087147

Wonder if I will see anyone at the Taylor PPC Match next week with one of my trays....? :)

http://www.taylorpistolclub.org/wp/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/2020-1-pg-webpage-flyer-final.jpg

Michael J. Spangler
01-06-2020, 12:54 AM
Looks awesome.
Can you explain why it’s made to fit a 5 gallon bucket?

Lakehouse2012
01-06-2020, 01:12 AM
The center of the bucket being a large open space to easily dump your revolver brass and speed loaders, FAST... Thats the name of this game, speed on the reload using revolver. The rules say you have to keep all loaded rounds on your body. But between rounds you want a fast way to pick up all 6 rounds into the speed loader and these trays do that. Later this week I'll do a demo and stick up on YT.

If you haven't run PPC before, I strongly urge each of you to find a match or meet in your area and try it out. :)

Looks awesome.
Can you explain why it’s made to fit a 5 gallon bucket?

Michael J. Spangler
01-06-2020, 01:21 AM
So you stage all of you ammo to be able to fill up speedloaders quick between stages?
Do you keep all of your extra ammo in the bucket or dump your spent brass in there as you shoot?
Sorry never shot PPC but my buddy used to. I’ll show him this rig.

Lakehouse2012
01-06-2020, 01:27 AM
So you stage all of you ammo to be able to fill up speedloaders quick between stages?
Do you keep all of your extra ammo in the bucket or dump your spent brass in there as you shoot?
Sorry never shot PPC but my buddy used to. I’ll show him this rig.

1 run you only need 60 rounds, these trays will hold 96. Yes on staging everything.

Low in the bucket is spent brass and whatever else you want to carry, some guys carry a ton of stuff inside their buckets

Michael J. Spangler
01-06-2020, 01:29 AM
Ok cool makes sense.
I like it.
I’ve seen the HKS trays but this seems much nicer with a place to store the extra stuff you need for a match.

garandsrus
01-06-2020, 01:39 AM
There is really only one stage that requires a quick reload, which is 12 shots in 20 seconds from 21 feet. However, you do want somewhere to dump the brass from the revolver that keeps you from having to pick it up off the floor, so that is where the bucket comes in. A match is 60 shots and you need a minimum of 4 speed loaders so the ability to reload the speed loaders easily is important.

I don’t put anything else in the bucket because you end up with powder residue in with the spent brass.

Lakehouse2012
01-06-2020, 01:43 AM
There is really only one stage that requires a quick reload, which is 12 shots in 20 seconds from 21 feet. However, you do want somewhere to dump the brass from the revolver that keeps you from having to pick it up off the floor, so that is where the bucket comes in. A match is 60 shots and you need a minimum of 4 speed loaders so the ability to reload the speed loaders easily is important.

I don’t put anything else in the bucket because you end up with powder residue in with the spent brass.Thanks Jon for that clarification!

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

cupajoe
01-30-2020, 03:12 AM
I am truly amazed at what some of the gizmos are capable of doing and the people that have enough imagination to use them. Me I got squat.