PDA

View Full Version : lee enfields

Frank46
12-15-2005, 04:21 AM
I think that we are in agreement that the chamber dimensions on most lee enfields are "Generous" to say the least. Has anyone rebarrelled any lee enfield with a commercial bbl and a standard sammi type chamber?. Was wondering if it was done and how did it turn out. Frank

KCSO
12-15-2005, 10:32 AM
In my younger days when I was really enamoured with the Lee Enfield I had a copy of Fredrick Russell Burnham's gun made up. I had the gunsmith set the barrel in one turn and clean up the chamber. The brass lasted longer, but other than that there was no difference. At that time I think the job cost about $50 and I bought the original gun for $18.00. With the new stock and sights and the reblue job I could have had a new Winchester M70. Being young and careless I shot a lot of cheap surplus ammo (we got it from a big barrel in the gun shop for like 2 cents a round, you scoop it) and shot out the barrel. I sold the gun for $50.00 and ate a big loss on the deal. Now I just shoot re formed 30-40 brass and get the same effect for a whole lot less money.

StarMetal
12-15-2005, 11:22 AM
Jim

Do you still have a soft spot today for those old Enfields?

Joe

KCSO
12-15-2005, 04:16 PM
Currently down to three a mint 1917 with cut off a GRI and a #4 Savage along with accessories. Member of the LECS.

jballs918
12-15-2005, 06:23 PM
hey check out surplusrifles.com they had something on the lee barrel like a month ago. that is onne of the many sites i go to. there is a ton of info off that sight

Bret4207
12-16-2005, 05:54 PM
I think 303british.com had an article on aguy that rebarreled a Ruger #1 to 303 with a match type chamber. He got groups of .5" on up IIRC. No idea on doing the same with a L-E, but it should be worth a try.

mag_01
12-16-2005, 06:33 PM
Doing some work on headspace with Lee Enfield SMLE mark 3--I have it to the point where the bolt closes snug on case----initall results look good----have new brass now and will check its condition after each shot same case---measure case dimentions between shots---looking for poss. streching or abuse of cases. before closing up the headspace I had many case seperations--------will probably try polishing chamber as well.-----Mag_01

StarMetal
12-16-2005, 07:46 PM
Tpr Bret,

I wouldn't see any problem in setting the barrel back a few threads on a LE and then rechamber with a match reamer, or a standard reamer if it is tighter the the military reamers that were used.

Joe

26Charlie
12-16-2005, 09:01 PM
Got one of these in a trade, still had a barrel full of grease. However - when cleaned out, found a big ring in the barrel right under the rear sight. It will group about 5 inches at 100 yards with some military stuff,147 gr. JBT, but the occasional shot just vanishes into the bushes. Tried some 220 gr. jacketed which bridges the gap a bit better, at least I didn't lose any bullets off the paper, but I don't know what to do with the gun.
I could sell it to anyone who wanted it for the action. Or, I could try to find a barrel for it. (Gun Parts Corp. has .303 barrels but not .308 barrels.)
The third option is to try it with long 200 gr. & up cast bullets, which might jump the ring and continue on unaltered enough to make a decent group.
Anyone got any opinions, experience, or desires along these lines?

StarMetal
12-18-2005, 10:10 PM
Got one of these in a trade, still had a barrel full of grease. However - when cleaned out, found a big ring in the barrel right under the rear sight. It will group about 5 inches at 100 yards with some military stuff,147 gr. JBT, but the occasional shot just vanishes into the bushes. Tried some 220 gr. jacketed which bridges the gap a bit better, at least I didn't lose any bullets off the paper, but I don't know what to do with the gun.
I could sell it to anyone who wanted it for the action. Or, I could try to find a barrel for it. (Gun Parts Corp. has .303 barrels but not .308 barrels.)
The third option is to try it with long 200 gr. & up cast bullets, which might jump the ring and continue on unaltered enough to make a decent group.
Anyone got any opinions, experience, or desires along these lines?

26Charlie,

Wrong...Go to gunparts home page, at the very bottom click on "free stuff " A page will come up with Gunparts ads in Shotgun News...select the December ad...near the bottom are good 308 barrels for your rifle...cheap.

Joe

13Echo
12-19-2005, 05:03 PM
Someone recently posted that the .45-70 seemed to feed well out of the the Lee Enfield .308 magazine. Might be more interesting than another .308.

Jerry Liles

26Charlie
12-19-2005, 08:45 PM
Just ordered a barrel thanks to your heads up - about $41 incl. shipping.

Also after thinking over my post, realized I was foolish not to try the heavy cast bullets anyway, so I loaded up some 311299 and 311335 which run about 205 - 210 gr., with 22.0 gr. Scot 4197. Since I also want a load which will shoot in the Win. M88 carbine and the American Eagle mauser I have in .308, I thought this might do the job. Have not got to the range yet with them.

StarMetal
12-19-2005, 09:17 PM
charlie26

You're most welcome Sir. I try to remember things that I've saw so I can help others. In this case it proved out good. I'm glad for you. I hope that you can remove the barrel without much of a hassle. Please read up it all that you can, unless you're a gunsmith. Or perhaps you're going to have a gunsmith do it for you. You know that on the enfields the head of the bolt is removal and the Brits used to adjust headspace should the rifle develop some. They are numbered somehow. Good luck to you on your new barrel.

Joe

Frank46
12-20-2005, 02:46 AM
13Echo, the post was mine in a response to another reader that had some questions on converting a 303 to 45-70. The 45-70 round sits very well in the indian army 308 magazine.
But would hate to hack up an ishy in 308 to make a 45-70. Zanders still has the gibbs enfield 45-70's in stock at $449 or therabouts. If anyone's still interested. Kinda pricey but since I have only seen one I'm basing my limited experience on that one rifle. Was well finished and did have the lee enfield buttstock. Thank Bullshop for the tip on Zanders as it was he that told me about them. They also sell an aluminum scope mount for the ishy foe about $40. Frank

KCSO
12-20-2005, 10:46 AM
The original Lee rifle was in 45-70 and the magazine worked well. When they went to the 303 the magazine was modified and switching back to 45-70 doesn't work well. The Gibbs rifle still has a full magazine, but it will only feed with 3 rounds. I think that if the magazine was widened and cut in half and the feed lips were modified you could come up with a working 5 round magazine. That shouldn't cost much more than a whole rifle. I would like to make up a 35-303 someday.

As to L/E accuracy, once you fire form your cases if you neck size you should be able to squeeze out all the accuracy that the rifle is capable of. I had a #4 in 73 that was set up for the Canadian Matches,eh. The chamber was the standard military chamber, but the rest of the rifle was tuned, glass bedded, P/H sights ect. The gun would put 10 shots into 1 3/8" at 100 yards and held its own against Garands and Springfields out to 500 yards. As I remember it my biggest problem was match grade bullets for the 303. My current solution is to trim and fire form W/W 30-40 Krag cases and then neck size. I get 8 to 10 reloads and the bigger base of the 30-40 keeps the case from seperating. The only problem I see in setting back a L/E bl is that I would have to make a Knox Form vise and modify an action wrench to do the job. I just don't thing the small gain would be worth the cost.

3584ELK
12-23-2005, 12:53 PM
Another thing to consider is going to .303 Epps, using a #1 bolthead to set the headspace with. As I recall, the #1 is the shortest head, with a #3 or #4 being the longest. I did this to my already bubba- ized Enfield, and I use 30-40 Krag cases. I don't experience case separation anymore either!