PDA

View Full Version : S&W Shield vs. Arkansas LEO Handgun Qualification

Hrfunk
01-04-2020, 09:33 AM
Hi all! Here's number 28 in this series. I hope you all like it!

Howard

https://youtu.be/l6JQxMILhRY

RedlegEd
01-04-2020, 11:30 AM
Howard,
As always, great video.
Ed

rintinglen
01-05-2020, 06:20 AM
Good Shooting!
As a test of shooting ability, I like this course, though it lacks some of the features. A gal or guy who shoots this course well enough to pass is reasonably competent with all the basic skills (Strong and weak hand, draw and fire, reload.). It is missing distant range, and shooting from cover.

But what really tickled my fancy was how well the Shield did. Many of us, especially those of us who are past their “best by” date, no longer carry full size duty pistols. It is reassuring to know that ours snubbies and compacts can still get the job done, if we can.
I’d be interested to know the round count on your Shield. Mine has never malfunctioned, but I have not put a lot of shots down range with it. Maybe 400-500 rounds total. I wonder if I need to think about putting some parts aside for future replacement.

Hrfunk
01-05-2020, 08:11 AM
Good Shooting!
As a test of shooting ability, I like this course, though it lacks some of the features. A gal or guy who shoots this course well enough to pass is reasonably competent with all the basic skills (Strong and weak hand, draw and fire, reload.). It is missing distant range, and shooting from cover.

But what really tickled my fancy was how well the Shield did. Many of us, especially those of us who are past their “best by” date, no longer carry full size duty pistols. It is reassuring to know that ours snubbies and compacts can still get the job done, if we can.
I’d be interested to know the round count on your Shield. Mine has never malfunctioned, but I have not put a lot of shots down range with it. Maybe 400-500 rounds total. I wonder if I need to think about putting some parts aside for future replacement.

Thank you! I have no idea how many rounds I've put through this Shield. I've owned it for about 5 1/2 years and I've shot it a fair amount during that time. I wouldn't rush out to buy parts for your pistol at 500 (+/-) rounds. In training for armorers, S&W recommends replacement of magazine springs and recoil springs every 5 years or 5000 rounds. Personally, I think the round-count is more important than the age. As best I can determine, the malfunction I experienced in the video (the only one I ever remember experiencing with the Shield) was ammuniiton related. The shooting for this video was the first time I've ever run the 147 grain Nosler ammo in the Shield. I think the combination of an underpowered round and the rather stiff recoil spring employed by the Shield lead to the problem. Again, I've never had that happen with any other ammunition while firing the Shield.

Howard

rintinglen
01-05-2020, 06:28 PM
Thanks for the follow up info, Howard. I tend to steer clear of the 147 grain stuff, simply because it tends to shoot away from the point of aim, especially in short barrels.