PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on resharpening Lyman trimmer cutter head

strangwn
11-12-2008, 03:39 PM
Does anybody resharpen Lyman Universal trimmer cutter heads, or does everybody just buy new ones? I recently had a Forster resharpened at the Forster-designated shop for a total of $8, and it works very well. If I buy new ones, where should I get them? They are $21.75 shipped for a 2-pack from Lyman.

fourarmed
11-12-2008, 03:42 PM
Before I bought new ones, I would try holding a flat stone against the cutter and turning it backward.

1hole
11-12-2008, 04:01 PM
"Does anybody resharpen Lyman Universal trimmer cutter heads,"

It can be done but, no offense, if you have to ask you probably don't have the tools to do it with. I use a metal lathe and tool post grinder to sharpen such cutters and reamers.

Buying from Lyman gets you the worst possible price, the makers always charge full MSRP. Try MidwayUSA, Graffs, etc. , someone like that should have the cutters a bit less expensive.

If I were you and had already dulled one cutter and didn't have the tools to sharpen, I'd consider getting the carbide cutter head. ???

Good luck1

Wally
11-12-2008, 05:03 PM
I have sharpened the Forster & Lee trimmers...put a screw or nail in the center hole--take a small whetstone or silicon carbide stone and hold at a 5° taper downhill from the cutter side..give each "blade" the same no. of strokes (5~10), then move on to the next one until all four are done. It is not difficult to master and you'll be an old pro at it after some practice. I also suggest that after a session of trimming many cases that you dress the cutter with a few strokes with a fine Wa****a whetstone..by doing so, you will no longer ever have to resharpen them.

I use a Lee Trimmer and this method works superbly for me.

miestro_jerry
11-12-2008, 06:43 PM
I own a machine shop and many times it is more cost effective for me to buy new ones. The problem with resharpening by hand is getting the cutter out of spec or out of round.

I just order new ones from Midway.

Jerry