PDA

View Full Version : fireforming 7TCU with Titegroup

joebaja
01-04-2020, 12:03 AM
I have been using Unique to fireform my 7TCU, but my supply is running low. I've loaded about a zillion 9mm from a 4lb jug of Titegroup and still have a bunch of that. Would 4-5gr of Titegroup under the Lee 130 give me enough gas to fireform the TCU? It is such a dense powder comparatively, that I would think that a bit of dacron might also be required. Or, should I just crack open the wallet and get more Unique?

high standard 40
01-04-2020, 09:32 AM
The Tightgroup will work but I do have to question why you feel the need to go through a separate fireforming step in the first place. Between my brother and I we have fired thousands of 7TCU cartridges in IHMSA competition and with virgin brass we just load the cases with our normal competition load and fireform at a match. Accuracy does not suffer at all because we have posted many perfect scores doing it this way, even on half scale targets, and none of the cases failed. Why waste components?

cwtebay
01-04-2020, 04:15 PM
Joebaja are you forming 7mm TCU from 223?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Hamish
01-04-2020, 05:30 PM
There is no need to use a separate fireforming load with the 7TCU.

joebaja
01-04-2020, 05:32 PM
@cwtebay: I am forming it from range pickup 223. Running it through the 7TCU full length sizer then fireforming. @highstandard40: you raise a good point about just loading and shooting. I never paid really close attention to accuracy when fireforming before, but even minimal effort yielded pretty good results. Maybe that is the way to go, just load them up and go.

Hamish
01-04-2020, 06:00 PM

My favorite was 2015BR, but any powder in the 3031, 4198 area. For fireforming, pay attention to getting a crush fit into the lands using a start level load to keep the case from collapsing into the chamber. Thereafter, as hot as you deem appropriate.

Hamish
01-04-2020, 06:03 PM
The Tightgroup will work but I do have to question why you feel the need to go through a separate fireforming step in the first place. Between my brother and I we have fired thousands of 7TCU cartridges in IHMSA competition and with virgin brass we just load the cases with our normal competition load and fireform at a match. Accuracy does not suffer at all because we have posted many perfect scores doing it this way, even on half scale targets, and none of the cases failed. Why waste components?

Exactly.

Iowa Fox
01-04-2020, 06:40 PM

Same here

rockrat
01-04-2020, 08:52 PM
I always just ran thru the size die and loaded with my normal loads

dale2242
01-05-2020, 08:40 AM
What rockrat said...dale

marshall623
01-17-2020, 07:20 AM
Add another to just size , load and shoot . All is good commerical or Mil spec .

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

gumbo333
01-17-2020, 02:59 PM
Am I wrong, but it seems to me like years ago some simply shot a new .223 right out of the 7TCU and it was fire formed. I fire formed several by necking up and loading a long 7mm bullet with a starting load of 4895, not a fast pistol powder. Then did a few just firing the .223 right out the 7TCU contender. Both worked.