PDA

View Full Version : what about bullet size,does it matter???

catkiller45
11-12-2008, 02:33 PM
After talking with a friend today about bullets for the cartridge rifles such as weight,length,design,etc,I feel the need to ask...He claims there is nothing better than the old 500 grain bullet in all the 45 cals. such as the 70-90-110,etc....

Is he right? Hell,I never tried any other bullets..So will a lighter and shorther bullet work just as good hunting or target shooting? I told him I was going to post the question here for all you guys who have other ideas or opinions,and maybe get some comments on the smaller bullets..

As to why you use them or why you don't use them...I know there is a lot said about the twist rate and bullet to match the twist..I have heard some say this is not that much of an issue...Like I said,I have never tried any other bullet but the Lyman
457125--you know the big round nose one....So please share some of your thoughts on this and I will pass it on to him....Now i'm curious myself....John:coffee:

missionary5155
11-12-2008, 03:07 PM
Greetings Catkiller45
Well it all depends on application and percieved need. I might be hard pressed getting a 500+ grainer to cycle and chamber in my old Marlin 1881. And to pop a white tail at under 50 yards I seriously wonder why a 350 grain is not sufficient.
To consistently smack a 500 yard gong with my Rolling Block I an sort of am fond of a 450 grainer that will do that all day long after I get the long range sight set on the correct mark.
And if I ever get to take the same rifle to pop a BUFF or GRIZZ or angry HIPPO I am gonna have it stoked with a 550 grain.
So it all depends on what your rifle will digest and what the need is. But you sure could use a 500 RN on coyotes and never feel you have slighted that beasty by using a too small boolit.

SharpsShooter
11-12-2008, 03:57 PM
I use a 530gr 457125 for most all my 45-70 needs. It is accurate, will kill anything that walks, usually dead right there. Keep in mind though that they are cast very soft and driven by BP. I do have a Rolling Block that is an exception. It will not chamber the large nose of my 457125and for it I like the Rapine 460405 which is a flat nose 405gr with a generous meplat. Pushed along by 68gr of Goex Cartridge it will break clay birds set up in the snow 200yds distant. I'll be trying some heavier PP boolits in it next spring

Your friend is not too far off the mark. The 500+gr bullets of various designs have proven themselves to be good performers on target and game alike and if given the choice I'll opt for a heavier design. Leverguns have digestive issues and are a different animal, but the single shots tend to digest whatever is fed them without a hiccup. I have shot PP 500gr boolits in a Marlin 1895 at 1900fps. I do not advise anyone to willingly engage in such self abuse. The brisk recoil was somewhat unpleasant after several shots.

SS