PDA

View Full Version : asking the value of item

porthos
01-02-2020, 05:56 PM
just read on the vintage ammo section that someone got a "infraction"?? for asking the value of an item on this site. i have some vintage ammo that i want to sell but i don"t know its value. so, i was going to ask the value. is that frowned upon on this site; or, can i auction it?

Winger Ed.
01-02-2020, 06:21 PM
An auction should work.
Or-
I'd check around various sites that sell the stuff, arrive at a price, and go from there on S & S.

I think the owners of the board don't want it clogged up with people who have a one and only post
wanting to use this place as some sort of free research resource and otherwise never contribute to it.

rancher1913
01-02-2020, 06:28 PM
you have exceeded the 30 days and 30 posts so I would think its ok, the infractions come from members that dont qualify to sell and try and get around the system by using a feeler post. expect a moderator will be by to give you a definitive answer.

Hawks Feather
01-02-2020, 06:57 PM
Why not send a PM to a moderator and remove any guesswork?

Pressman
01-02-2020, 07:13 PM
The OP has a valid question about the value (selling price) of his ammo. The problem is how to ask the question in a way that will not generate offers to buy in that thread.
The best approach is for him to ask the question of value and do not state that he is looking to sell,
AND adding a disclaimer that his question is NOT an offer to sell.
If there is any hint in a question that it's an offer to sell it will be taken down and possible an infraction issued.

You can see how this can get tricky to ask value really fast.

Ken

porthos
01-02-2020, 08:22 PM
thanks guys, good information

Battis
01-02-2020, 09:54 PM
I got Infracted for asking what the value of a can of Mosin ammo might be. I had no intention of selling the ammo online - I live in MA and I'd have to drive too far to ship it. I was just curious - I wanted to trade it at a local store. I did not expect offers but they came anyways. Would a disclaimer have deterred the offers? Maybe open offers but probably not PMs. Live and learn.

Minerat
01-02-2020, 10:15 PM
PM sent