PDA

View Full Version : The Python returns

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-01-2020, 11:42 PM
New for 2020: Colt Python
by SI Staff - Wednesday, January 1, 2020

When Colt first started bringing back its famous line of "snake guns," starting with the .38 Spl. Cobra model (reviewed here), consumers began asking for the most famous of the Colt snake guns: the Python. Colt teased revolver fans a bit with the launch of the King Cobra in 2019 (reviewed here), one of the company's other .357 Mag. revolver options. However, in January 2020, the wait ended with the re-launch of the world-famous Colt Python revolver.

Engineers at Colt spent years re-working the design of the Python in order to provide consumers with an enhanced model that provided the classic look and feel of the old-school Python with the upgraded conveniences of modern technology. One of the issues often found on old Colt Pythons was an inconsistent trigger-pull weight that varied from shot to shot, due to the hand-fitting and finishing that these guns received in early years.

Now, thanks to Colt's next-generation trigger system, the new-for-2020 Colt Python revolver will feature consistent trigger pulls in both single- and double-action modes, with double-action trigger pulls maxing out between 7 to 9.5 pounds. Of course, the gun features a six-round cylinder and will be available in two barrel lengths: 4.25 inches and 6 inches. The barrels feature the classic full underlug design that completes the iconic look of the Python, as well as the ventilated rib running along the top of the barrel. The six-groove rifling features a 1:14-inch twist rate that stabilizes all of today's popular bullet weights.

Colt's new Python revolvers feature stainless-steel frames, barrels and cylinders, which are all polished to a semi-bright finish. With a 6-inch barrel, the gun measures 11.5 inches in overall length, 5.5 inches high and 1.5 inches wide. Total weight, unloaded, for the gun tops out at 42 ounces. Barrels are topped by an interchangeable red-ramp front sight, and the rear sight is adjustable for windage and elevation. Each gun is finished with attractive, checkered walnut grips complete with an inset Colt medallion.

The suggested retail price on the new Colt Python is $1,499. For more information, visit colt.com.

See link for Photos
https://www.shootingillustrated.com/articles/2020/1/1/new-for-2020-colt-python/

Tripplebeards
01-01-2020, 11:57 PM
Sweet I’ll have to order one and a 6 inch barrel because my anaconda needs a friend. I never did like the king cobra. I remember those things used to go for $359 everywhere you looked. They use to get given away at the ducks Unlimited banquet every year to and everybody kept trading them off and didn’t want them. Wish I would’ve grabbed one and put it away.

NyFirefighter357
01-02-2020, 12:09 AM
Cheaper than an old one!

rintinglen
01-02-2020, 12:42 AM
Look! It’s a mark III with a ventilated rib. Python my pearly white bottom. I will hold off until I see one.

Petrol & Powder
01-02-2020, 07:28 AM
That new "Python" is going to be a Python in name only.

And at $1500, either there's a huge profit margin in there or Colt still hasn't learned how to be competitive.

Hickory
01-02-2020, 08:13 AM
I owned a Python back in the early 70's and never liked the grip. I had to readjust my hand on the grip every couple of shots. It was too wide at the bottom and caused my hand to slide upwards.
It was no good for fast self defense shooting!

A round but grip and I'd think about it.

dverna
01-02-2020, 09:04 AM
Back 50 some years ago the Python was "THE" revolver. My buddy had one when we shot Bullseye. It was a sweet gun. Hope the new model is as good. The price is not out of line if it works as well as the original.

Lloyd Smale
01-02-2020, 10:26 AM
I owned only one and didn't like much of anything about it other then the pretty bluing. Id take a good k or L frame even if the price was the same.
I owned a Python back in the early 70's and never liked the grip. I had to readjust my hand on the grip every couple of shots. It was too wide at the bottom and caused my hand to slide upwards.
It was no good for fast self defense shooting!

A round but grip and I'd think about it.

trapper9260
01-02-2020, 11:00 AM
Here is a video on it . https://www.full30.com/watch/MDIzNDc1/the-colt-python-is-back
https://www.full30.com/watch/MDIzNDc2/shooting-the-new-colt-python-with-ken-hackathorn

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-02-2020, 11:42 AM
a couple decades ago, I owned both, the Python and the King Cobra. I liked looking at the Python, but I liked shooting the King Cobra much more...but to be honest, I prefered the S&W's I owned even more yet. So The Python got traded and the King Cobra sold at my auction....no regrets.

Tripplebeards
01-02-2020, 11:58 AM
After I watched the video link above it looks more like a king cobra that they stamped python on it.

Rick Hodges
01-02-2020, 12:13 PM
The Colt Python has always been a very pretty, overpriced, poor performing revolver. Yes, I'm a Smith guy. Pythons had horrible triggers.
I see Colt is still overpricing them, I hope they perform better now. By the way, the pictures show composite laminated grip panels. Can't they find a decent piece of wood for a $1500 revolver?

30Carbiner
01-02-2020, 12:33 PM
I definitely want to take a look at one. The trigger mechanism has been totally revised, which is a very good thing, since the original Pythons has triggers that were inferior to S&W's. I'm thinking a 4.25" Python that is listed as being one ounce under the IDPA weight limit for a stock revolver, might be a hoot in competition!

robg
01-02-2020, 01:04 PM
Never got to like colt revolver triggers ,I would chose a 686 every time .

white eagle
01-02-2020, 01:26 PM
not a fan

marek313
01-02-2020, 01:39 PM
I thought that what separated original Pythons from other DA/SA revolvers was the hand fitting of parts when it was put together. This sounds like a marketing scheme of reusing the old name to increase sales. I'm not convinced these are going to be anything special. I want to get another revolver in near future but I'm not so convinced these are going to be anything like the old Pythons in any way. Many manufacturers used this method before. Sig brought back P210 which should be great but again I'm not sure its going to be as good as original old German ones. Everything that makes money has a sequel but most fail the second time around. I'll wait to see how it really turns out before I buy one.

Petrol & Powder
01-02-2020, 02:13 PM
At that price, with the "new" and "improved" (read that as cheaper to produce) lock work; it is clear Colt is still banking on their name.

ShooterAZ
01-02-2020, 02:46 PM
I have never personally owed a Python, but one of my Uncles did and I was able to shoot it frequently as a teenager. I really liked shooting that gun, and remember it having a smooth action and being very, very accurate. My Uncle has since passed away, and I have no idea what ever happened to that Python...never asked. I doubt that any current production Python would ever equal the ones made back in the day. The old saying comes to mind, "They don't make them like they used to".

trapper9260
01-02-2020, 02:51 PM
I have not handle one of the old ones . I seen the video early this morning, then I seen this post think it would help someone on here, like to see it also know more about it. For the price of it ,I will stick with Ruger or some other make.

TNsailorman
01-02-2020, 03:12 PM
I never had the economic "muscle" to buy a Python back in the day but I thought about them a lot and hankered for one. I did buy a Trooper MK III in .357 magnum and it was the most accurate .357 I ever shot (in single action mode). However it was never as smooth of an action that my S&W's had. But the worst part about the MK III was the same as all the Colt's that I have owned; that pull to the rear cylinder latch. It just was not in my DNA to pull to the rear instead of push to the front. I still like the looks of that Python but at $1500.00 dollars I don't see one in my future. I won't be buying any of the new S&W's either. If I decide I need/want another revolver, I will find a older Ruger or older S&W to cure my itch. james

winelover
01-02-2020, 04:09 PM
I'm an original Python owner and still have it. Spoiled me from ever considering a S&W, other than their lightweight J-frames. I watched the video and the gentleman stated he never a Python fan but also said IHO, it was better than the originals. For the life of me, I can't see where anyone would get the idea it was a re-branded Cobra or Trooper. Since the lock work was never shown. Maybe I got an exceptional one, I always shot it DAO and disagree with the increased stacking, as it gets trigger cocked. I don't think $1500 is out of line. Ruger RH's are $1100 MSRP..........not anywhere finished near a Colt. S&W Classic line, ain't cheap, either. I paid @ $369 for my Python, new in the mid 70's. I was working for GM and making $4.32/hour. A brand new midsize car was @ $3500 OTD..................do the math and take inflation into consideration. IIRC, he said the originals are going for the price of what a new car was, back then.

Winelover

GOPHER SLAYER
01-02-2020, 05:33 PM
I have a safe full of handguns but if I were younger I would buy one of the new Pythons. In 1976 a fellow worker who was dating the sister of a gun shop owner. He bought a new Python and a new Diamondback, both with four inch barrels. He told me one day he would like to sell them to buy new tires for his dune buggy. He was asking $500 for the pair. I didn't have the money so I called my brother who always had money and he bought them and still has them in the original box with the original plastic wrapping. They are beautiful to look at but now probably too valuable to shoot in the new condition.

shortlegs
01-02-2020, 06:38 PM
I thought colt announced that were not selling to the public a few months ago.

shortlegs
01-02-2020, 06:40 PM
My mistake. They wont sell AR15 to public.

Petrol & Powder
01-02-2020, 06:58 PM
Just because Colt stamped the name "Python" on the gun doesn't mean it is the same Python they made years ago.

Colt is banking on their company name and that famous model name.

I don't know how many more bankruptcies Colt has left in them. This new "Python" looks like a re-warmed Trooper MK V in stainless steel with a $1500 price tag, time will tell if Colt can sell enough of those.

shooting on a shoestring
01-02-2020, 10:07 PM
Wow that looks WAY BETTER than a Super GP100! AND, no Hillary hole!
I’ll bet the CNC work and the MIM are high quality like they have going on with the new King Cobra (mine is GREAT).
My new King Cobra came with 0.359” throats and a 0.355” groove barrel. I size 0.359” and have NO leading, high velocities and small groups.

I could see how some people would like the new gun regardless of who’s name is on the frame as long as it’s pretty, has great measurements, is put together well and makes little groups on distant targets. Yeah I’ll bet some people would spill a pile of hundred dollar bills on the counter of their LGS to get a new one. Hmmm???

dkf
01-02-2020, 10:36 PM
The way it sounds Colt is outsourcing the production of these new pythons.

Hickok
01-02-2020, 11:31 PM
S&W 686....for the win....less money....more gun.

charlie b
01-03-2020, 10:36 AM
I have a Python, 1964 version. It does have a really nice trigger and is very accurate with the right loads. It loves full power 125gn loads. It is one of the most accurate pistols I have ever shot. Would I pay the going price for one? Nope.

The target grips it came with are just that, target grips. Bad part is the really nice checkering on them eats your hand. I keep them in a box. I like the shape (I have large hands). I put Hogue grips on it for shooting. My Father-in-law, who owned it before me, made much smaller grips for his hands. As reference, I rarely find factory revolver grips that fit my hands.

Bad points. The lockwork is not very robust. A lot of fast DA shooting (500-1000rnds) will require some gunsmith work to get it back into shape. Finding a good gunsmith who can work on them is getting more difficult. Related to that, the same lockwork limits your speed (which is one reason why Miculek went to S&W decades ago). The factory pin on the rear sight will work loose. Needs to be replaced with a split pin.

I just love the looks of one. Colt stumbled onto the visually perfect (to me) mix of dimensions with the 4" model. The excellent bluing job just sets it off. This is an area (probably cost) that the new announcement puts me off. Stainless. Never liked the look of the stainless snake guns.

So, if you want to shoot and shoot fast, find a good S&W. If you want a Colt that does as well as my Python, find a Trooper and have the trigger worked on (if needed).

I am wary of the new ones. IF, and a big if, Colt makes them perform well, they might be worth the money. They will have to be exceptional and I just wonder of Colt is up to that kind of challenge.

Idaho45guy
01-03-2020, 11:13 AM
The lockwork has been cleaned up and is very nice looking and more robust compared to the original...

reddog81
01-03-2020, 11:49 AM
Of course it's not the same Python from years ago. The people complaining it's not the same gun would be complaining if it was the same gun... If it was manufactured the same way, with dozens of hours of polishing and handfitting, it'd cost $4,000 and people would be complaining that it'll go out of time after 1,000 rounds.

gnostic
01-03-2020, 12:26 PM
These new colts will bring the value of older 686's up, $1500 will become 'the going rate for a non two piece barrel/Hillary hole 357 magnum. I don't like Colt as a company and their revolvers for the reasons already mentioned in this thread...

Groo
01-03-2020, 01:59 PM
Groo here
I will have a 6 in SS when I can get!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I carried a 4in nickle for 8 years and have many K magnum loads through them.[ still running]
For Da work I always liked it over an S&W.
S&W are easer to slick up, but a good Python done by someone who knows [ Likr C&S]
Will beat all but a slicked up DW...
If the new one is as reported ,,, It will walk all over the DW and make the S&W feel like a ruger.

Cast_outlaw
01-03-2020, 02:14 PM
Unfortunately it’s the tv show “the walking dead” that made the Python so expensive as rick carried one throughout the series now his daughter carries it. That’s why the guns price skyrocketed since 2010

Petrol & Powder
01-03-2020, 03:23 PM
Idaho45guy, is that the CURRENT python that Colt just released? And if so, what is the source of that picture?

Idaho45guy
01-03-2020, 08:40 PM
Idaho45guy, is that the CURRENT python that Colt just released? And if so, what is the source of that picture?

Yes, that is the new Python, apparently. Photo was taken from another gun forum posted by a member who did not cite his source.

Carrier
01-03-2020, 09:00 PM
I shot a fiends Python years ago and always wanted one but couldn’t afford it. I handled a new Cobra last month and really liked it. Though the Cobra is about $1500.00 Canadian and the Python is priced at around $2100.00 Canadian I’m definitely going to look at one when they show up here and make my decision then.
I have some old S&W’s and some new ones and have had no issues with either.

GARD72977
01-03-2020, 09:09 PM
Wow that looks WAY BETTER than a Super GP100! AND, no Hillary hole!
I’ll bet the CNC work and the MIM are high quality like they have going on with the new King Cobra (mine is GREAT).
My new King Cobra came with 0.359” throats and a 0.355” groove barrel. I size 0.359” and have NO leading, high velocities and small groups.

If the new Python has the same throats I will buy one. Really been looking at a few revolvers like the Smith 610 and a few rugers. The Python would be a great range gun.

KYCaster
01-03-2020, 10:35 PM
The way it sounds Colt is outsourcing the production of these new pythons.

I was wondering who would be making these.

Petrol & Powder
01-04-2020, 12:28 AM
Yes, that is the new Python, apparently. Photo was taken from another gun forum posted by a member who did not cite his source.

So, IS THAT THE CURRENT 2020 Python?
It was just announced; Someone has a 2020 model, took the side plate off and posted a picture?????

Not trying to be difficult here, just trying to get to the facts.

Petrol & Powder
01-04-2020, 12:36 AM
From this article:

https://www.ammoland.com/2020/01/colt-python-revolver-updated-still-making-history/#axzz6A26uZ7RB

"....Minimizing the amount of parts in the trigger action has simplified the mechanism, elevating its reliability and allowing for more straightforward maintenance. ....."

Which makes me think this may be a new action.

Idaho45guy
01-04-2020, 12:40 AM
From this article:

https://www.ammoland.com/2020/01/colt-python-revolver-updated-still-making-history/#axzz6A26uZ7RB

"....Minimizing the amount of parts in the trigger action has simplified the mechanism, elevating its reliability and allowing for more straightforward maintenance. ....."

Which makes me think this may be a new action.

Well, you can compare and contrast the pictures of the old action and the new action and they just did away with some pins. It's the same basic action, just refined, from what I can see.

Petrol & Powder
01-04-2020, 08:51 AM
But is that really a picture of the current (2020) model of the Python?

Not trying to be difficult here, just trying to determine if that picture represents the current model.

Petrol & Powder
01-04-2020, 09:09 AM
I found this video, in which a Colt representative states the gun still uses a leaf spring action. So maybe that is a picture of the current Python action.

2:31 into the video:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=new+colt+python+2019&view=detail&mid=8C57965208D90C1FAFA98C57965208D90C1FAFA9&FORM=VIRE

Thumbcocker
01-04-2020, 10:34 AM
I had a 4" satin nickel one back in the day. Nice enough gun but I preferred the Smith's. I have been very pleased with my GP100 match Champion especially its da pull. I know that may be blasphemy to some but I would take the MC over the Python.

txbirdman
01-04-2020, 10:48 AM
I had a 6” stainless Python and a 6” 27-2 at the same time. I did several head to head accuracy tests. The 27-2 is in my gunsafe and the Python’ been gone almost 20 years with no regrets.

Larry Gibson
01-04-2020, 11:29 AM
The Pythons reputation for better accuracy than S&Ws was born out of the 50 yard line in PPC matches using the 148 gr WC target loads back in the day before the bull barreled race guns of the last 40 years. Many times the S&Ws slower twist did not adequately stabilize the WC bullet. The 50 yard scores were not quite as good as with Colts faster twist barrel which fully stabilized the WCs. Numerous Colt Python barrels were put on S&W M10 and M19s creating what was called a "Smython" at the time.

smkummer
01-04-2020, 01:16 PM
The lockwork has been cleaned up and is very nice looking and more robust compared to the original...

This a win/win for everyone. The positive lock action of the original python was patented in 1905 and first used in a python size frame in 1908 (army special) of which some parts were still interchangeable up to 2004. To put that in perspective, the first Ford model T rolled of the assembly line in 1908. It appears Colt used modern manufacturing to the maximum extent to eliminate fitting but stayed trued to what makes the gun popular. And a 7 1/2 lb. DA trigger pull with 3 1/2 lb single action is a really big score. In the past, only a tuned python would do that with the caveat that it may not ignite magnum primers in double action. Congrats to Colt for giving what many wanted, even if though a somewhat high price for a production gun. Maybe an updated anaconda is around the corner?

Gunslinger1911
01-05-2020, 12:48 AM
I have an '81 vintage 4"blue Python, bought in the late 90's from someone who didn't know what they had. Nope, don't feel bad at all !
Been shot a lot, decided to take it easy on it, mostly 12-1400 f/s 160 grainers. A good bit of 1600 f/s for the wow factor. Stayed away from excessive hot 125's. But, dang, the muzzle flash is impressive !
Still pretty tight, VERY accurate.
Looked at the pix of the new one, watched the vids.
A Performance Center S&W 357 runs what, $1200. IF, big IF, the Colt can hang with a PC Smith, it may be worth $300 extra to have the horsey on the gun and a vent rib. Time and getting one in my hand will tell.
Don't need, want one - got one; but want to shoot one.
To me, the 4" Python is the best size, best looking, 357 revolver made.
I have no animosity to Colt, although they have been the worst run gun company EVER !
If it's made here, unlike the rumor that the "new" SSA that was Brazilian parts "assembled" here; more power to them. More gun manu is better gun manu !

Tatume
01-05-2020, 08:17 AM
A Performance Center S&W 357 runs what, $1200. IF, big IF, the Colt can hang with a PC Smith, it may be worth $300 extra to have the horsey on the gun and a vent rib. Time and getting one in my hand will tell.

Performance Center Model 686 Plus, $986 MSRP, no horsey though. I have one, and it is a tremendous shooter. Light weight too. Also available with four inch barrel.

slam45
01-05-2020, 10:08 AM
only interested in Colt's revolvers 50 years old or older... the new stuff does nothing for me at all... and the company as it is today does not inspire confidence at all...

Tatume
01-05-2020, 12:01 PM
only interested in Colt's revolvers 50 years old or older... the new stuff does nothing for me at all... and the company as it is today does not inspire confidence at all...

My Officer's Model Match has had Frank Glenn's "Ultimate Action Job." He REALLY knows how to make a Colt action function well.

Rodfac
01-06-2020, 10:47 PM
The Colt Python has always been a very pretty, overpriced, poor performing revolver. Yes, I'm a Smith guy. Pythons had horrible triggers. I see Colt is still overpricing them, I hope they perform better now. By the way, the pictures show composite laminated grip panels. Can't they find a decent piece of wood for a $1500 revolver? Couldn't have said it better....Rod

Tripplebeards
01-07-2020, 11:36 AM
I think the reason I never got a king cobra for $359 back in the 90s is I’ve always been a 44 mag fan. I probably still won’t buy one of these when they are available unless they make a 44 or 45 python. I still have my second anaconda to replace the one that was stolen and I never shoot that one either. I bought it about a month after cold and they weren’t selling to the public anymore...then not not now. Their big sales gimmick imo. And then they wait 15 to 20 years and start making them again and sell them for almost three times as much. The first Anaconda was extremely accurate but the second one to replace it not so much. Won’t get rid of it because I like the way it looks ... it’s just a really neat looking Paperweight imo. I also won’t replace it for the $499 I paid for it brand new on the shelf I ever really feel the need to have one again. You see them all over the place for sale with an asking price of $1500-$2500 or more but I don’t really see a lot of people buying them.

flint45
01-08-2020, 04:34 PM
For me the Python is a beautiful handgun but never shot as well as my Trooper, better trigger, more accurate. But the one that beats them is my old workhorse M-28 S&W. I would like to try the new Python though.

bedbugbilly
01-08-2020, 09:06 PM
I bought a 4" blued Python a number of years ago to try the "Python Experience". I'm the red headed stepchild when it comes to Pythons - the one I had was like new but I hated it - couldn't war, up to it at all and decided to sell it a couple of years ago - got 3 times what I paid for it. Some folks like oranges and some like apples - I'll stick with my 70 year old Smith M & P as I find it "=my cup of tea".

Just me - but I really question if the "new Pythons" will be able to stack up against the od ones quality wise - th truth will be in the pudding when the production models finally come out.

Duckiller
01-08-2020, 09:55 PM
Don't want to start a fight with anyone but MY 6" Python has a lot better trigger than any of my Smiths or Rugers.

Idaho45guy
01-09-2020, 12:38 AM
These guys seem impressed with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrLYZruNw_g

Tripplebeards
01-09-2020, 11:02 AM
Don't want to start a fight with anyone but MY 6" Python has a lot better trigger than any of my Smiths or Rugers.

So does my andaconda... And if it didn’t it takes all of 10 to 15 minutes of polishing which I did anyways even after it was already an awesome trigger. It breaks at a crisp 1.8 pounds.

Into the above post I’d give a positive review if they gave me a free firearm and paid me to hype it up as well.lol

megasupermagnum
01-09-2020, 03:50 PM
All of them can have a good single action trigger. My GP100 came out of the box with a 2.2 pound single action trigger.

I just watched a segment on Outdoor channel about the new Python. They claim it is an all new updated design, although they did not go into details. They did say the grips will interchange with all Python grips.

ATCDoktor
01-11-2020, 08:59 PM
My LGS has one on of the new Pythons on the shelf and I got to handle it today (sadly it’s just for display, not for sale).

I Dry fired it and the action is waaaay more smooth than my 6” 1984 vintage Python.

Double action was slick as greased glass and the single action pull broke at about (what I’d estimate) was 2.5 pounds.

It’s a very attractive revolver that from a distance “favors” the Python but once you get your hands on it you’ll see/know the difference.

In my estimation (based on a sample of one) its a little beefier than the Pythons of old (which isn’t a bad thing).

The Cylinder, frame and grips all felt heftier but I wouldn’t swear on a bible that they were.

My overall impression was very favorable, in fact so favorable that I ordered one (store owner said he had 15 on order and 8 were spoken for).

I asked them to get me one with a 4.25” barrel but I may go back and change that to a 6 inch.

snowwolfe
01-12-2020, 08:02 PM
I plan on buying a 6 inch model as soon as the novelty price wears off.

Silvercreek Farmer
01-13-2020, 07:52 AM
Hickok45 with a new one.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7dO-lQEX49U

Rick Hodges
01-13-2020, 08:39 AM
Hickok45 with a new one.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7dO-lQEX49U

The legendary reliability of the Colt Revolver on display? :kidding:
Seriously, I am not familiar with the Colt lockwork but how does a hand work sometimes and not other? I would think if the hand was broken it would stop working, period. Not periodically.

rintinglen
01-13-2020, 08:59 AM
Spring not forcing hand forward to engage sprocket?
Colt, the world’s right arm.
You can buy better, but you can’t pay more.

charlie b
01-13-2020, 09:00 AM
Probably some gunk left in the action is binding the hand. Still, does not bode well.

To be true to the name Colt should be putting some extra man-hours into making sure each and every one is as perfect as can be. If not they will be a bust.

But, for those who have nice older ones, if the new ones do go bust the values climb a bit more :)

cupajoe
01-13-2020, 10:16 PM
If Colt would offer a blued version I would be tempted.

Jtarm
01-14-2020, 02:39 AM
I thought that what separated original Pythons from other DA/SA revolvers was the hand fitting of parts when it was put together.

Did you read the part of the review about inconsistent triggers due to hand fitting?

A nominal amount of hand-fitting is expected, but all that expert, old-school “hand fitting” people seem to think was magic was due to the sloppy manufacturing tolerances of the day. That leads to inconsistency and expensive guns that require a lot of specialized, skilled labor.

$1,500 MSRP is likely what they figured the price ceiling would be and designed a facsimile of the original they could build for that price and make money.

IDK much about Python price history, but I did the math once for the original S&W .357 magnum. Introduced in 1935, it sold for $60.

Adjusting not only for inflation, but the increased cost of skilled labor, which has gone up WAY faster than inflation, plus staggering compliance costs they didn’t have in 1935, the original magnum, built in the same way as it was in 1935, would carry a price tag of around $3,000 today.

My guess is that’s about what a Python would cost today, made to 1955 specs and using the methods of that era.

Now, who’d run out and pay that to relive “the good ol days?” Very few, and most of the same group who now P&M about how they “don’t build em like they used to” would P&M about how expensive they are and how greedy the manufacturers must be.

Are there problems with today’s guns? Hell yes! But on the whole, manufacturers do a pretty decent job of finding new ways to produce guns whose basic mechanisms were designed over 100 years and keep them at a reasonable price point, as they face massively-higher production costs.

Doubly so when you consider the market for high-end DA revolvers is a tiny fraction of what it was when guns like the Python were in their heyday

All that said, I couldn’t care less about the Python, unless I see substantial evidence it’s on a par with a Korth or Manurhin.

Tripplebeards
01-16-2020, 06:49 PM
Yeah I’ll wait till the hype is over and then order a 6 inch one probably. By that time I’m sure they will fix the problems they’re currently having with them. I just watched two YouTube videos that the cylinders are not turning and light primer strikes. Not good with a $1500 suggested retail python that supposed to be the Cadillac of revolvers. I don’t remember ever hearing any issues with the old pythons.

NyFirefighter357
01-19-2020, 12:04 AM
These guys seem impressed with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrLYZruNw_g

These guys aren't https://youtu.be/y0dJPxXmhtc

Idaho45guy
01-19-2020, 02:37 AM
These guys aren't https://youtu.be/y0dJPxXmhtc

Someone at Colt is getting fired...

To have your biggest and most celebrated gun release in decades fail on a Hickock45 review video? Not good. He was impressed with it until it failed to rotate the cylinder. Complete disaster for Colt.

charlie b
01-19-2020, 09:50 AM
I agree. Does not bode well for Colt.

Tripplebeards
01-19-2020, 11:59 AM
Hickock45 isn’t the only one having issues on YouTube with it with the cylinder not moving there’s a couple videos of some other guys too. I counted at least four when I just looked. How embarrassing for colt. I never saw a $359 king cobra or $498 anaconda ever do this back in the 90s. I’m happy Colt came back out with them but I am not impressed. They should’ve just went off the original design and punch some out. That way they would have been no issues with a proven, flawless design. Just like when they decided to do limited runs in the custom shop for the Andaconda and I believe it also was the king cobra... And then they charge $1300/$1500 for the same pistols they were selling for $500 and under three years prior. After watching these videos and losing all my excitement I highly doubt I’m going to buy one unless they dropped under 1000 bucks which isn’t gonna happen. If they got closer to the $799 price range I probably still would procrastinate... but in time would Eventually cave when there was a sale and the Colt followers hype was over. I’m just not impressed. But if they came back out with an anaconda in 45 colt and did not ask four times of what they originally were selling them for 15 years ago I probably would add one to my collection. I’ll eventually wait run into an old king cobra that someone doesn’t know what they have and add it to my collection. Imo probably a better pistol anyways... it’s Obviously more reliable.

dkf
01-19-2020, 04:16 PM
My local shop had a 6" stainless version in for $1599, they had it up for hours before it was gone. Their money they can spend it how they want. I'll take a used Ruger that someone traded off and rarely shot and send it off for custom work before I'll plop $1500+ down on a questionable factory revolver whos name is on but they don't make. It may not be as pretty but I really only care how it shoots and how it holds up over time.

Tripplebeards
01-19-2020, 04:20 PM
My local shop had a 6" stainless version in for $1599, they had it up for hours before it was gone. Their money they can spend it how they want. I'll take a used Ruger that someone traded off and rarely shot and send it off for custom work before I'll plop $1500+ down on a questionable factory revolver whos name is on but they don't make. It may not be as pretty but I really only care how it shoots and how it holds up over time.

I will end up probably doing the same. I’ve been eyeing up the Ruger super Blackhawk Bisley hunter for a while.

lefty o
01-19-2020, 04:26 PM
seems colt has already recalled a pile of these.

snowwolfe
01-21-2020, 04:04 PM
seems colt has already recalled a pile of these.

I hope they can isolate the problem and fix it as I would like to buy both models.

bosterr
01-21-2020, 04:38 PM
I read that Colt "quietly" recalled 100 Pythons from one distributor alone.

lefty o
01-21-2020, 07:18 PM
colt will even lie to everybody about it. https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2020/1/21/shot-show-2020-is-there-a-problem-with-the-colt-python/

megasupermagnum
01-21-2020, 08:13 PM
What the? So the MSRP was $1500. Buds Gun Shop was asking $2000 for these.

Texas by God
01-21-2020, 08:14 PM
I'd rather have a Smith & Wesson model 27. Any day of the week.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Tripplebeards
01-22-2020, 12:03 AM
I bet People will still keep buying them left and right even with problems. There’s a lot of diehard colt Python followers and they’re going to buy them and send them in and get them fixed. Ridiculous imo. I’m a hunter...dollar for dollar I’d rather spend my money on a Ruger. And I do have a colt anaconda 8 3/4” ported I bought new a week after colt announced they weren’t selling to the public anymore for $499.00. I had a stroke of bad luck and someone broke in my house and stole my anaconda at the time and went out and replaced this one the next day. I’d be a little more riled if that burglar waited a while longer! I added a mat dot ultra dot mounted on it. So I. All set if I really want to take a colt hunting.

I still say if it wasn’t broke don’t fix it. Colt should’ve just started producing the python again exactly how it blueprinted years ago and ran flawless....Just like they did five or six years later after discontinuing the andacondas and king cobras. They started selling limited runs of the EXACT same $499 anacondas and $359 king cobras for $1300 each. I would assume they had enough parts laying around that weren’t assembled that they just slap together and put on serial numbers and came out smelling like roses off of that deal.

I love my anaconda but I don’t love Colt. IMO they do just enough to get by and keep their head out of the water. They sure are pretty proud of their products and have jacked up their prices on everything to compare to how they used to be. “Colt” tries to live and prosper off their name and Imo The Colt name is not anywhere the quality it used to be.

Harley Davidson went down that same path years ago and is in the same boat. I worked for them about 2 decades ago when they had the “so called” year and a half wait hype. I hate to tell you all there was never a year and a half wait and the bikes were always readily available...but that’s was their double retail sales gimmick and they were making three to $4000 over retail on them by doing so. We also had used bikes on the sales floor several years old that they had marked up $10,000 over what you could buy a brand new bike for and people were coming in and buying them left and right because the bike was an impulse buy and was readily available... Along with our creative financing of course. Pretty sad in my book. But there’s a sucker born every minute.

snowwolfe
01-22-2020, 09:06 PM
I bet People will still keep buying them left and right even with problems. There’s a lot of diehard colt Python followers and they’re going to buy them and send them in and get them fixed. Ridiculous imo. I’m a hunter...dollar for dollar I’d rather spend my money on a Ruger. And I do have a colt anaconda 8 3/4” ported I bought new a week after colt announced they weren’t selling to the public anymore for $499.00. I had a stroke of bad luck and someone broke in my house and stole my anaconda at the time and went out and replaced this one the next day. I’d be a little more riled if that burglar waited a while longer! I added a mat dot ultra dot mounted on it. So I. All set if I really want to take a colt hunting.

I still say if it wasn’t broke don’t fix it. Colt should’ve just started producing the python again exactly how it blueprinted years ago and ran flawless....Just like they did five or six years later after discontinuing the andacondas and king cobras. They started selling limited runs of the EXACT same $499 anacondas and $359 king cobras for $1300 each. I would assume they had enough parts laying around that weren’t assembled that they just slap together and put on serial numbers and came out smelling like roses off of that deal.

I love my anaconda but I don’t love Colt. IMO they do just enough to get by and keep their head out of the water. They sure are pretty proud of their products and have jacked up their prices on everything to compare to how they used to be. “Colt” tries to live and prosper off their name and Imo The Colt name is not anywhere the quality it used to be.

Harley Davidson went down that same path years ago and is in the same boat. I worked for them about 2 decades ago when they had the “so called” year and a half wait hype. I hate to tell you all there was never a year and a half wait and the bikes were always readily available...but that’s was their double retail sales gimmick and they were making three to $4000 over retail on them by doing so. We also had used bikes on the sales floor several years old that they had marked up $10,000 over what you could buy a brand new bike for and people were coming in and buying them left and right because the bike was an impulse buy and was readily available... Along with our creative financing of course. Pretty sad in my book. But there’s a sucker born every minute.

Sounds like my experiences with Ruger handguns. Last 4 out of 5 had to be sent back. Now I buy smiths and so far so good, not one had to go back and the triggers break like a glass rod.
I do hope to buy a Python as soon as the bugs are worked out.

9.3X62AL
01-22-2020, 09:15 PM
I will end up probably doing the same. I’ve been eyeing up the Ruger super Blackhawk Bisley hunter for a while.

Love mine.

Tripplebeards
01-23-2020, 02:40 PM
Sounds like my experiences with Ruger handguns. Last 4 out of 5 had to be sent back. Now I buy smiths and so far so good, not one had to go back and the triggers break like a glass rod.
I do hope to buy a Python as soon as the bugs are worked out.

I have a Ruger that’s been back for the third time and haven’t fired it yet. Its coming back on Saturday. All my Ruger’s except for two have been back to the factory several times. One of the two has had several replacement parts sent to me for repair. But Ruger has always fixed them for free. I do own one Smith, a 329NG. Pretty nice pistol but the black finish is wearing off in spots pretty easily. I should check with Smith and Wesson and see what they charge to refinish it.

Wis Tom
01-24-2020, 07:52 PM
Smith and Wesson can be hard to get ahold of. Hope Colt can take care of these issues, as it's a great looking gun, that would look good, in my collection.

Idaho45guy
01-24-2020, 09:12 PM
I've heard horror stories regarding revolvers from S&W and Ruger, but at least Ruger customer service is better. I had a S&W Shield that had to go back to S&W and their customer service was not good.

Tatume
01-25-2020, 09:05 AM
On the other side of the coin, I've had nothing but exemplary service from S&W. Same from Ruger.

Rodfac
01-25-2020, 09:33 AM
I've had nothing but exemplary service from S&W. Had a new 637 that locked up on the 3rd or 4th cylinderful out of the box. A call to Smith and I had a FEDEX label in hand and the gun was back in two weeks...they did a beautiful trigger job on it too...niece in FL has it now for purse carry while showing houses as a realtor. Too, my wife's M36, a 1992 gun went back for a cylinder stop...both fixes were on their nickle...hard to complain on that kind of product support.

YMMv, Rod

NyFirefighter357
01-25-2020, 10:14 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dO-lQEX49U

Area Man
01-25-2020, 06:03 PM
My first gun was a king cobra. Still a pleasure to shoot.

9.3X62AL
01-25-2020, 06:45 PM
I agree with Hickock45's take on the matter--that he wants very much for the new-series Pythons to succeed, and I would like that as well. After a reasonable number of consumer-grade (NOT gunwriter-grade) examples get into buyer hands, I will decide about whether to plunk down the coin for an example of my own. I will cop to it right here--I am enamored with the revolvers. Whether or not I want to bring her home to meet the folks.......jury is still out.

ReloaderFred
01-26-2020, 01:23 PM
I just got back from the SHOT Show last night, and I did handle two of the new Colt Pythons in the Colt booth. Both had noticeably better double action trigger pulls than the older Pythons. I was never a fan of the spring stacking of the older Pythons, but those two were reasonably smooth all through the trigger pull. The Colt rep claimed they all come that way right out of the box, but only time will tell whether that's true or not.

Hope this helps.

Fred

W.R.Buchanan
01-27-2020, 04:23 PM
I handled a 4" Python at the SHOT Show last week. It was a very nice gun, however they took the "Wall" out of the trigger pull so now staging the trigger during DA is strictly a "feel as you go" type of thing. The older guns had a definite spot in the trigger pull where you could easily stage the trigger to while firing DA for that last look at the sight alignment and sight picture before the break.

They did this on purpose! and nobody at the booth knew why. Still a very nice gun but $1500.00 is way out of my range., and I don't even need a .357, as all proper handgun calibers start with a .4 anyway! I don't do 9mm either!

Still, they will sell all they can make and most people wouldn't know the difference in the trigger pull anyway.

Randy

Rick Hodges
01-27-2020, 07:18 PM
That wall, or hitch in the action is what I found objectionable with the old Python. My training and my preference was for a smooth non stacking trigger. It still is.

pattern14
02-24-2020, 07:08 PM
The Python was my first revolver, and until I bought my Ruger GP100 last year, the only revolver I had owned. Back in 1977 it was very expensive at $440.00 AUD, at least 3 times as much as it's S&W competitor. Not sure if it was a true refection of value or just Australian importer mark up, but all the same , it was one really nice handgun. The same piece goes for over $3,000.00 S/H now, in good condition ( rare to see a beaten up one though). I paid $500.00 AUD for my GP100, S/H with trigger work and custom sights, and it shoots every bit as well for 1/6th the price.

I've always wanted another Python, but just can't justify the cost.

Cheeto303
02-24-2020, 07:59 PM
The Python was my first revolver. Purchased in 1978. 4" Royal blue. She's sittin in the safe beside my first semi auto a Colt Series 70 Gold Cup National Match purchased in 1980 which are on the shelf above my first rifle a Colt AR-15 SP-1 also purchased in 1978.The safe is beside my loading bench which has my first reloading setup which was the RCBS Rock Chuck kit also purchased in 1978 to feed my snake.Good Times.

pattern14
02-24-2020, 08:48 PM
What a coincidence....I bought my one and only AR-15 in 1978 too ( they were banned here years ago), and I still use my first press, an Australian made Simplex, which was made in 1972. Must have used better metal back them, instead of the Chinezium alloy we have today...

Cheeto303
02-24-2020, 09:49 PM
What a coincidence....I bought my one and only AR-15 in 1978 too ( they were banned here years ago), and I still use my first press, an Australian made Simplex, which was made in 1972. Must have used better metal back them, instead of the Chinezium alloy we have today...

What a coincidence I also have a Pattern 14 w/ volley sights.

243winxb
02-24-2020, 10:12 PM
https://youtu.be/vSBuhMC5JLA9

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2020/2/24/the-keefe-report-colt-addresses-python-problems/

Pythons are ment to be kept in a safe & not fired. :kidding:

Texas by God
02-24-2020, 10:51 PM
Well, someone other than me needs to buy one of the new Pythons so the thread pic doesn't show a S&W PC ugmo anymore[emoji16]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Budzilla 19
02-24-2020, 11:16 PM
I hope they get the bugs worked out!! I might need one of these to go with my Python Target gun I got , like, 30 years ago!! Guy said “ dang .38 special, if it woulda been a .357 magnum, I coulda done sold the dang thang long ago”! Hahahaha, lucky for me I knew what it was!! He did too, and at that time in history, nobody around my hometown wanted a .38, just some .357’s!!

rking22
02-24-2020, 11:30 PM
Sorry, they can call it anything they want but a Python it ain’t. It is missing the Deep blue on carefully polished steel. To me Pythons were like the “pretty girl” in high school, all about the look. And this one looks like a cheap knockoff.
I’ll take a vintage M19 for half the money.

Cheeto303
02-24-2020, 11:46 PM
https://youtu.be/vSBuhMC5JLA9

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2020/2/24/the-keefe-report-colt-addresses-python-problems/

Pythons are ment to be kept in a safe & not fired. :kidding:

Why? I've been chooting mine for 42 years. It's kind of like my Smiths, the more I choot it the better it gets.

243winxb
02-25-2020, 09:45 AM
Seen a 1970s Python get leaded up so bad that all shots could not be kept on the official 50 foot target @ 50 feet.
The owner had me shoot it to see if it was him.

Turned out the groove diameter was .354" The swaged 148 gr wc bullet was .358" diameter & loaded with 2.7 gr Bullseye Powder.

pattern14
02-25-2020, 05:58 PM
What a coincidence I also have a Pattern 14 w/ volley sights. I got one as well, but without the volley sights, a 1916 Remington. Most accurate military rifle I've ever owned. Took it hunting last year and bagged a really nice buck; those battle sights work as well as any I've used. I'll stop hi-jacking the thread though......

Chad5005
02-25-2020, 11:06 PM
ill stick to my rugers

rintinglen
02-26-2020, 08:22 AM
Colts, like Fords, and Rugers, should never be bought when first announced. They seem never to have been fully de-bugged before being put on the market. You want to wait a year or so.

Idaho45guy
02-27-2020, 03:28 AM
Colts, like Fords, and Rugers, should never be bought when first announced. They seem never to have been fully de-bugged before being put on the market. You want to wait a year or so.

Seems it's getting that way with everything these days. Apparently warranty-return work is cheaper than proper R&D.

Hickory
02-27-2020, 05:25 AM

This is very good advice. A generation has passed since the last of the original Colt Pythons or any Colt revolver have been produced and few if any who built the Python are still alive to advise or direct the construction of the new Pythons.

30Carbiner
02-27-2020, 07:39 PM
Is anyone making holsters for the new 4.25” Pythons? Specially kydex?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk