PDA

View Full Version : Dillon750

Russman
01-01-2020, 11:40 PM
I just set up my new Dillon press and was just wondering when I’m getting 223 loads that say 2.200 in the manual and that are coming out of the press between 2.195-2.205 if that is ok.The longer 2.205 is fitting in my magazine ok it’s the 2.195 that I was wondering cause it’s just a smidge under sammi specs.On my turret press I could get the loads spot on just wondering if the variation in lengths is normal for a progressive press.

jessdigs
01-02-2020, 12:53 AM
I would shoot them. They should be fine

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

garandsrus
01-02-2020, 01:16 AM
The difference in OAL is normally caused by bullet variation and not the press. Are you using the same bullets and dies as you were on a single stage press? You should get pretty much the same result on a progressive press.

JimB..
01-02-2020, 01:29 AM
I think that the shellplate in the 750 is the same as the 650. Try loosening the set screw in the ram and then tightening the shellplate a smidge. I usually tighten it too much, you can tell because the advance is very stiff as to lower the ram, and then loosen it a smidge ntil the advance is smooth hen tighten the set screw.

The other thing is that the rounds will be most consistent when you have a case in each station. The shellplate has a bit movement, it is minimized or at least most consistent when by each station is engaged.

Russman
01-02-2020, 12:10 PM
I am using the Same bullets but now I am using Dillon dies instead of Hornady dies.To reply to Jim b I have tried tightening and loosening the shell plate and have all the stations engaged.I measured the bullets and there is some variation so that could be the issue.Just want to make sure it is still safe since they are coming in under Sammie specs.I have my powder in the middle of recommended charge so it’s hopefully not over pressure in the shorter cases.Any more advice would be appreciated!

Littlewolf
01-02-2020, 12:55 PM
i figure that if the cartriges pass a cartridge guage, plunk in plunk out, it's good to go.

dverna
01-02-2020, 05:23 PM
The loads will be safe, but accuracy may be affected. I do not load rifle rounds on a progressive but a .010" variation seems too much to me.

A call to Dillon might shed some information.

Bullet length should not affect COL....that is determined by the seating die. A longer or shorter bullet will vary in how much of the base is in the case but COL will remain the same. If the ogive is varying, that will affect seating depth depending on the profile of the seating stem.

Just for giggles, put the Dillon seating die in your SS press and see if COL varies. Put your older seating die in the 750 and check that out.

I have to believe the press shell plate is "flexing" somehow.

mozeppa
01-02-2020, 06:03 PM
if you want a real time comparison.....go buy 3 boxes of the most expensive ammo you can find with each
box being a different brand....measure those.

yours won't look like an issue anymore.

jban
01-02-2020, 08:14 PM
I just set up my new Dillon press and was just wondering when I’m getting 223 loads that say 2.200 in the manual and that are coming out of the press between 2.195-2.205 if that is ok.The longer 2.205 is fitting in my magazine ok it’s the 2.195 that I was wondering cause it’s just a smidge under sammi specs.On my turret press I could get the loads spot on just wondering if the variation in lengths is normal for a progressive press.

Your nominal is 2.200. You are +/- .005. Not a problem. I am guessing, you are just reloading for plinking or hunting? You won't notice anything. If you were reloading for competition, or precision long range shooting, you may feel better with a little tighter tolerances. But in that case, you wouldn't be reloading your ammo on a progressive press.

Hossfly
01-02-2020, 08:32 PM
I started reloading for the .223 Thompson Encore about 5-6 years ago and running ladder test. Trying to get that last bit of accuracy i could get. Bought the RCBC mic. Caliber specific measuring tool. Got my jump down to .005 off L&G. Grabbed a factory round just out of curiosity and measured it, .045 jump. My group improved with the .005 and working with powder charges up to 24 gr. AA2200 @ 3250fps best i could get.
Using Dillon 650. The tool will also measure the set back of the shoulder also for your head space.