PDA

View Full Version : An Oddball Question

Green Frog
01-01-2020, 07:40 PM
This is a strange request I know, but maybe somebody here can help. I generally don’t load nickel plated cases, but I like to keep a few around to use to make up dummy rounds with the various bullets I load so I can use them to quickly set up my seating dies. I’m setting up a new batch of dummies in 32 S&W L and I need about a dozen nickel cases for my project. Does anyone know where I can get a few without having to buy in bulk?

TIA ~ Froggie

shooting on a shoestring
01-01-2020, 09:06 PM
I don’t claim to be a 32 SWL expert, but I’ve never seen a nickeled 32SWL case.
Are you sure there were any produced?

I have seen and shot 327 nickel cases.
Maybe cut them to SWL length?

Dan Cash
01-01-2020, 10:07 PM
Take a 1/8 drill and bore 1 or more holes cross wise the case. Absolute id.

nagantguy
01-01-2020, 10:12 PM
Sorry I do not know of a source for small batch of the nickel plated you seek- not sure I e ever even seen them but agree 100% with Mr. Dan Cash above- drill a hole or two or otherwise unmistakably mark them- a dummy round can and will eventually find its way into your loaded ammo box- ask me how I know.

Texas by God
01-01-2020, 10:12 PM
Take a 1/8 drill and bore 1 or more holes cross wise the case. Absolute id.
This is what I’ve done- no doubt it’s a dummy.

Green Frog
01-02-2020, 04:04 PM
In an orphan lot of 32 S&W Long ammo I shot years ago there were 4 rounds of nickeled brass, headstamped REM-UMC. They look good and are different enough from yellow brass to be quickly spotted. Could I get the same end result in utility by drilling some yellow brass cases? Yep, but where’s the fun in that? A set of nickel dummy rounds (without primers) have a certain pan-ah-chee. It doesn’t have to be logical to be cool! 8-)

Froggie

nagantguy
01-02-2020, 06:46 PM
In an orphan lot of 32 S&W Long ammo I shot years ago there were 4 rounds of nickeled brass, headstamped REM-UMC. They look good and are different enough from yellow brass to be quickly spotted. Could I get the same end result in utility by drilling some yellow brass cases? Yep, but where’s the fun in that? A set of nickel dummy rounds (without primers) have a certain pan-ah-chee. It doesn’t have to be logical to be cool! 8-)

Froggie
Your absolutely correct; cool is cool and we want what we want- good luck on your quest sir!

Larry Gibson
01-02-2020, 09:03 PM
In an orphan lot of 32 S&W Long ammo I shot years ago there were 4 rounds of nickeled brass, headstamped REM-UMC.

I've got 6 of them if you want them?

Outpost75
01-02-2020, 09:28 PM
I don’t claim to be a 32 SWL expert, but I’ve never seen a nickeled 32SWL case.
Are you sure there were any produced?

I have seen and shot 327 nickel cases.
Maybe cut them to SWL length?

Proof loads are nickled for identification and their case heads stained with Glidden red or purple indicator, depending upon caliber.

DuaneH
01-07-2020, 12:08 AM
The old Remington .32 S&W Long wadcutter load used nickel cases. GF, if your orphan nickel cases have a double cannelure, they are probably from this load.

EMC45
01-07-2020, 06:46 PM
Out of all my .32 brass I believe I have exactly one nickel case. No telling where it is, but I know I've seen it.

Alferd Packer
01-07-2020, 10:06 PM
Walmart used to sell wadcutter loads in nickle cases.